Author Topic: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024  (Read 220073 times)

Online Mladen

Re: THE Judas Priest thread
« Reply #630 on: February 17, 2016, 05:17:38 AM »
Never in my life have I seen the more anticlimactic teaser.  :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #631 on: February 17, 2016, 06:18:25 AM »
It's Priest, I'll still get it

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #632 on: February 17, 2016, 11:08:32 AM »
Still no Jugulator songs :D

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #633 on: February 17, 2016, 01:10:42 PM »
You'll see a song from Rocka Rolla in the set before you'll see something from Jugulator or Demolition.

Which has actually happened, btw.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #634 on: February 17, 2016, 02:01:13 PM »
If the Painkiller vid from Wacken is anything to go by, Rob sounded great for this show.  Colour me excited :D

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #635 on: February 17, 2016, 03:33:29 PM »
I remember buying the last live album, Touch of Evil, and being a bit disappointed with the vocals. But I saw Priest live a couple months back and the band, especially Rob, sounded awesome. I would still be buying this regardless lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #636 on: February 17, 2016, 05:23:41 PM »
Really nice set list there, especially the inclusion of one of my favorites in Desert Plains, but odds are, I'd buy this, watch it once, and then never again, so I won't get it.  Halford's live voice is hard to take these days anyway.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #637 on: February 17, 2016, 09:35:37 PM »
Really nice set list there, especially the inclusion of one of my favorites in Desert Plains, but odds are, I'd buy this, watch it once, and then never again, so I won't get it.  Halford's live voice is hard to take these days anyway.

This.  But I'll probably still buy it.  His vocals are the make or break of the live releases lately for me too.

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #638 on: February 18, 2016, 11:13:25 AM »
I'll buy that for Devil's Child and Desert Plains, alone. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #639 on: February 18, 2016, 11:28:19 AM »

This.  But I'll probably still buy it.  His vocals are the make or break of the live releases lately for me too.

Yeah. Once Rob wasn't doing the Condemned to Hell screams in Sentinel anymore I pretty much dismissed Priest as a live act. That was the tell-tale sign that it just wasn't happening anymore (and one of the things I was always stoked to see).
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #640 on: February 18, 2016, 12:30:53 PM »
At my show last year he was great. Not beginning 'to the end great, but good enough; he was right in front of me when he gave the "AND THEN HE DIEEEEEED" scream in Beyond the Realms of Death and it was an awesome and badass moment.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #641 on: February 18, 2016, 03:11:41 PM »

Yeah. Once Rob wasn't doing the Condemned to Hell screams in Sentinel anymore I pretty much dismissed Priest as a live act. That was the tell-tale sign that it just wasn't happening anymore (and one of the things I was always stoked to see).

It's harsh, but true.

Offline lordnafaryus

• Living the Dream :)
« Reply #642 on: February 18, 2016, 03:56:59 PM »

i saw them in 2011 and Rob sounded fantastic, he can't go as high as he could obviously, but his melodic voice is still in great shape. He struggled a bit with 'Painkiller' overall but still delivered some great screams, and the way he sang the end of VICTIIIIM OF CHAAAAAAAAANGEEEEEES was insane!

I'd say they'd still be well worth actually seeing live, but maybe not necessarily picking up a DVD to watch at home.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #643 on: February 18, 2016, 05:03:56 PM »
I'd say they'd still be well worth actually seeing live, but maybe not necessarily picking up a DVD to watch at home.

I think that's probably the difference, the live experience is so different and IMO makes singers sound more impressive than they really are if you watched the same performance back on tape, sometimes that is.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #644 on: February 18, 2016, 05:40:47 PM »
It just might be the last ever live release from Priest, so it's still worth getting

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #645 on: February 18, 2016, 05:52:56 PM »
It just might be the last ever live release from Priest, so it's still worth getting

That's a solid point.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #646 on: February 18, 2016, 08:30:57 PM »
The only time I've seen Priest was in '09, on the tour where they played all of British Steel, and while it was pretty great, there were a few times where his screams made my ears hurt a bit. The volume being ear-splitting loud didn't help either. :lol :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #647 on: February 18, 2016, 09:25:12 PM »
The only time I've seen Priest was in '09, on the tour where they played all of British Steel, and while it was pretty great, there were a few times where his screams made my ears hurt a bit. The volume being ear-splitting loud didn't help either. :lol :lol
Damn, dude, be very thankful you didn't see them back in the '80s, when concerts were loud and Rob was still Rob:lol

Something that I'd actually kind of forgotten about was that Rob used to be halfway spry. He was never Bruce Dickinson or anything, but he'd still get around the stage. Last show I saw he was using a cane. Don't get me wrong, the fact that the man was probably in a good deal of discomfort only adds to my respect. I'd just kind of forgotten him moving about.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #648 on: February 18, 2016, 09:28:36 PM »
A friend who is a few years older than me saw them in the 80s and said it was beyond awesome every time.  He still talks about how the trilogy of awesome shows to see in the early to mid 80s was Priest, Rush and Triumph. :metal

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #649 on: February 19, 2016, 01:27:06 PM »
A friend who is a few years older than me saw them in the 80s and said it was beyond awesome every time.  He still talks about how the trilogy of awesome shows to see in the early to mid 80s was Priest, Rush and Triumph. :metal

My first concert ever was Maiden opening for Priest in '82 (the Number/Screaming tour).  I've said this about 100 times on the forum, 99 times in reference to how awesome Bruce is (they opened) but I rarely ever say how good Priest was:  they DELIVERED.   I knew Screaming and British Steel but that was it, and they ended the concert proper with Devil's Child, Screaming, Another Thing Comin', and Victim of Changes.   Just amazing.   That may be my first choice if I could ever go back and see just one concert that I previously saw one more time.  If that makes any sense...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #650 on: February 20, 2016, 06:22:44 AM »
It definitely does.  Mine would be either Floyd in '94 or Rush in '02, but I can't say I am surprised you or anyone else would pick Priest from the early 80s, given what I've heard about those shows. :metal

Random thought: A Touch of Evil is easily a top 10 Priest song. 

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #651 on: February 20, 2016, 06:50:33 AM »

I think that's probably the difference, the live experience is so different and IMO makes singers sound more impressive than they really are if you watched the same performance back on tape, sometimes that is.

Indeed the live experience is different... you're there, you're excited, the adrenaline flows, if a band makes a good show and entertains you you don't really notice the little flaws and errors here and there.

See my example above, whatever Rob's performance was during Beyond the Realms of Death, I have impressed in my mind the "And then he dieeeeed" scream that he happened to do in front of me, so that's what I remember of the song... and that's how a concert should be!

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #652 on: April 13, 2016, 01:35:30 AM »
Just listening to the Battle Cry live release.  The band is killing it, Rob sounds great!

I really need to see Judas Priest live before they hang it up..

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #653 on: April 13, 2016, 05:13:35 AM »
Just listening to the Battle Cry live release.  The band is killing it, Rob sounds great!

I really need to see Judas Priest live before they hang it up..

Your username makes me hungry.

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #654 on: April 13, 2016, 06:39:29 AM »
It is an honour to have altered your state of mind.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #655 on: April 13, 2016, 08:18:04 AM »
Eating chicken mcnuggets while listening to Judas Priest.  Great combo!!

Offline NotePad

« Reply #656 on: April 13, 2016, 10:23:25 AM »
There's nothing worse than seeing Halford singing Painkiller these days.

I have a question, who do you think had more range in their prime, Bruce or Rob? I'm not sure Bruce ever hit the high notes like Rob.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #657 on: April 13, 2016, 10:34:53 AM »
Rob totally.

Also I think painkiller has been sounding great lately.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #658 on: April 13, 2016, 09:50:59 PM »
I have a question, who do you think had more range in their prime, Bruce or Rob? I'm not sure Bruce ever hit the high notes like Rob.

Ummm......if this is a serious question, then the answer is Rob.  There is no comparison between the ranges of the two.

It is an honour to have altered your state of mind.

You certainly did.

Eating chicken mcnuggets while listening to Judas Priest.  Great combo!!

YES.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #659 on: April 14, 2016, 02:24:08 AM »
There's no comparing those two singers, really. Although Rob in his prime was a sight to behold, as was Bruce, even with all the running around. I think Halford has a little more personality in his voice in the lower regions. Something Bruce tends to neglect a bit. He seems to focus on the mid- to high range. But listen to 'The Black Hole' by Ayreon if you want some great lower range singing by Bruce.

I'm listening to Rob's solo album at the moment and have to say there's some really great stuff on that.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #660 on: April 14, 2016, 06:56:38 AM »
Look, I'm an unabashed Bruce fanboy, and I consider him to be the greatest heavy metal frontman of all time, slightly ahead of Dio and Halford, but Halford as a better voice in terms of range and tone.   I compare Epitaph and the b-side live version of Remember Tomorrow for the low end and there really isn't anything like Freewheel Burning in the Maiden catalogue, is there?  I just think live Bruce has Rob beat, and I think Bruce writes better material.  Plus, Bruce would kick Rob's ass at fencing.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #661 on: April 14, 2016, 07:27:31 AM »
Yeah, well, let's not even start about all the extra-curricular activities Bruce excells at! My God! The man has more brass balls than Captain Flahheart! Whoof!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline NotePad

« Reply #662 on: August 05, 2016, 10:26:18 AM »
I'm a big Bruce fan, he has an awesome voice, BUT compared to others like Rage or Halford, his range doesn't quite match up to theirs.

Does anyone else agree that Sad Wings of Destiny is really one of Priests best albums? I've been listening to Priest a lot lately, and there's something in that album that their other stuff is lacking. It has more depth than, say, Screaming For Vengeance. The most popular Priest albums are my least favorites, not all but a lot.

They're best albums are: Sad Wings, Jugulator, Angel of Retribution, and Redeemer of Souls.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #663 on: August 05, 2016, 11:10:35 AM »
I'm a big Bruce fan, he has an awesome voice, BUT compared to others like Rage or Halford, his range doesn't quite match up to theirs.

Does anyone else agree that Sad Wings of Destiny is really one of Priests best albums? I've been listening to Priest a lot lately, and there's something in that album that their other stuff is lacking. It has more depth than, say, Screaming For Vengeance. The most popular Priest albums are my least favorites, not all but a lot.

They're best albums are: Sad Wings, Jugulator, Angel of Retribution, and Redeemer of Souls.

Sad Wings of Destiny is my favourite Priest album, hands down. It made my Top 50 Albums List, I had it at #26. Fantastic album. Victim of Changes and Dreamer Deceiver are as good as it gets.

I also agree that Angel of Retribution is a brilliant album, very good indeed. I think I'm going to spin it right now. Sadly can't agree about Redeemer of Souls, not a fan of that one.

You all probably know my opinion on Nostradamus so I'll just be silent on that matter.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #664 on: August 05, 2016, 11:54:30 AM »
I don't know that it is their best, but it's a top album, and really, there aren't any really "bad" Priest albums.   Turbo is very different, of course, but for me, it's more about the songs.  There are bad songs on certain albums (I don't care for "Epitaph"; "Evil Fantasies"; there are a couple others).  I know for me, the sound improved a lot with British Steel, and personally, I know he is a pariah among fans, but I think Dave Holland was the best drummer for Priest (or at least my favorite, his "proclivities" notwithstanding). 

Sorry, I don't mean to offend, but I don't count the Ripper albums.