Author Topic: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024  (Read 220458 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: THE Judas Priest thread
« Reply #560 on: October 30, 2014, 09:49:31 PM »
I liked it too but the rhythm guitar sound really took the edge off - could've been much better with a decent guitar sound.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #561 on: October 30, 2014, 11:41:05 PM »
I'm the opposite on this one. I've never really been able to totally get into Nostradamus, but Redeemer of Souls impressed me right from the beginning.  Much better then I expected, and would also be my number #2 album of the year.

Yes, their best since Painkiller for me.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #562 on: October 31, 2014, 12:19:32 AM »
I just always found Nostradamus a chore to get through in its entirety.  Albums should never be like that.

If RoS is the final album from the band, I would say that they went out on a high note for sure.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #563 on: October 31, 2014, 05:09:39 AM »
I liked it too but the rhythm guitar sound really took the edge off - could've been much better with a decent guitar sound.

All the guitars just sound terrible.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #564 on: March 13, 2015, 04:40:59 PM »
The new edition of DOTF is a five star release. The band, especially Rob, is on fire with the live album. My favorite Priest album made ever better. Highly recommended.

The next live album, Priest Live, pales in comparison to this one.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #565 on: March 13, 2015, 05:52:17 PM »
I just always found Nostradamus a chore to get through in its entirety.  Albums should never be like that.

If RoS is the final album from the band, I would say that they went out on a high note for sure.

I quite liked RoS when it came out. Played it recently and thought it was complete shite.

Agree about the new DotF though. Excellent live album and so much better than Priest Live. Shame there's no video.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #566 on: March 15, 2015, 04:34:08 AM »
The new edition of DOTF is a five star release. The band, especially Rob, is on fire with the live album. My favorite Priest album made ever better. Highly recommended.

The next live album, Priest Live, pales in comparison to this one.

Good to hear.  Just got it today and can't wait to give it a spin.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #567 on: March 15, 2015, 05:40:49 AM »
Just having a listen to it now.  Great live cd indeed.  I'm pretty sure quite a few of these tracks have been used as bonus tracks on the remasters though, which is a bit disappointing.  I'll go through and see which ones later.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #568 on: March 15, 2015, 10:55:04 AM »
Just having a listen to it now.  Great live cd indeed.  I'm pretty sure quite a few of these tracks have been used as bonus tracks on the remasters though, which is a bit disappointing.  I'll go through and see which ones later.

I am sure the three  bonus tracks off Priest Live are from this show. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #569 on: March 15, 2015, 10:56:26 AM »
Isn't there something to be said for having the complete show in one package as opposed to having to splice it all together from various sources?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #570 on: March 15, 2015, 11:38:10 AM »
Isn't there something to be said for having the complete show in one package as opposed to having to splice it all together from various sources?
Absolutely. The fact that there's a complete show makes this a must buy, as opposed to simply having bonus live tracks, which are basically useless to me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #571 on: March 16, 2015, 05:13:24 AM »
I've gone through to see how many of these live tracks have already been released as far as I know;

Sin After Sin remaster - Jawbreaker
British Steel remaster - Grinder
Defenders of the Faith original remaster - Heavy Duty/Defenders of the Faith
Priest Live remaster - Rock Hard Ride Free
Ram it Down - Night Comes Down

That's alright, not as many as I thought.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #572 on: March 16, 2015, 04:50:12 PM »
I always hoped they would release Live Vengeance 82 on cd

Now that is a kick ass show and a great dvd

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #573 on: March 16, 2015, 05:06:16 PM »

Yeah, amazing dvd.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #574 on: March 16, 2015, 06:20:07 PM »

Yeah, amazing dvd.

I would actually say that is the ultimate Judas Priest performance

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #575 on: March 16, 2015, 06:28:06 PM »
You would not get an argument from me, but the Painkiller tour was awesome!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #576 on: March 16, 2015, 07:33:38 PM »

I'd have to see the setlist, but I have always that that SFV was just a WAAAY over-rated album.   Hellion/EE and YGATC are obvious standouts.   I also like Bloodstone and Riding on the Wind.    But most of the others are just meh to me.    Whereas I *LOVE* every track from DotF.   Even the oft maligned HD/DotF. 

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #577 on: March 16, 2015, 08:54:11 PM »
A perfect setlist for me would need to include The Sentinel.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fl7yNIPlGM
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 09:07:04 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #578 on: March 17, 2015, 05:17:24 AM »

I'd have to see the setlist, but I have always that that SFV was just a WAAAY over-rated album.   Hellion/EE and YGATC are obvious standouts.   I also like Bloodstone and Riding on the Wind.    But most of the others are just meh to me.    Whereas I *LOVE* every track from DotF.   Even the oft maligned HD/DotF.

You're in luck

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_Vengeance_%2782

You would not get an argument from me, but the Painkiller tour was awesome!

I always wanted something official from this tour, the boots I've seen are fucking good.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #579 on: March 17, 2015, 05:41:18 AM »
For me, '98 Live Meltdown might as well be from the Painkiller tour, considering how many songs it features from that album, and while I'm not the biggest fan of their studio output with Ripper, his live performance is MILES ahead of Halford anyway. The only song that's missing is All Guns Blazing, and then you have the best from Painkiller there.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #580 on: March 17, 2015, 06:06:11 AM »

You don't like the title track??

Offline jammindude

« Reply #581 on: March 17, 2015, 06:16:04 AM »
For me, '98 Live Meltdown might as well be from the Painkiller tour, considering how many songs it features from that album, and while I'm not the biggest fan of their studio output with Ripper, his live performance is MILES ahead of Halford anyway. The only song that's missing is All Guns Blazing, and then you have the best from Painkiller there.

THIS!!!

And the title track from SFV is good too.  I had forgotten that one.  (you can tell how often I listen to it)   

I just remember when they released it for Rock Band and how disappointed I was that it wasn't DotF.   Pain and Pleasure and Fever are both just plain dumb...and I guess Devil's Child has a pretty good chorus.    But it's basically 2 or 3 classics, 5 or 6 ok songs and 2 stupid ones. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #582 on: March 17, 2015, 06:19:42 AM »

I saw Priest live on the Demolition tour, and Tim was by far still the greatest vocal performance I've seen live, he was just amazing.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #583 on: March 17, 2015, 06:24:18 AM »
Saw that tour too  - the only time that the live screams of a metal singer have really hurt my ears.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jammindude

« Reply #584 on: March 17, 2015, 06:28:02 AM »
I just wish Jugulator would have been better represented.   Sorely under-rated album.    What I wouldn't give for a live performance of Cathedral Spires.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #585 on: March 17, 2015, 06:31:51 AM »
Saw that tour too  - the only time that the live screams of a metal singer have really hurt my ears.

I know we've had this exact discussion before, but yes, I thought my ear drums were going to explode at times.  People around me had to cover their ears each time he screamed.  :lol

I just wish Jugulator would have been better represented.   Sorely under-rated album.    What I wouldn't give for a live performance of Cathedral Spires.

I can only agree with this.  Good selection of songs on that tour though, although Spires and the title track would be the two I'd most like to hear live.  Dead Meat and Decapitate would have been cool as too.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #586 on: March 17, 2015, 08:19:13 AM »
Kind of interesting hearing all the love for Defenders of the Faith, given that the reaction to it at the time it came out was "great first side, Love Bites is cool, the rest of the album is filler" in my circle of friends. It was generally considered a step down from SFV and back then, the holy grail, best Priest album there was honor went to either Stained Class or British Steel. DOTF has, in my opinion, aged better than SFV, but to this day I still think "first five songs are great, the rest less so."  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #587 on: March 17, 2015, 09:29:47 AM »
Some heads are gonna roll is a personal favorite of mine on that album, along with The Sentinel. Still a great record overall.  :tup

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #588 on: March 17, 2015, 09:31:42 AM »
Some Heads Are Gonna Roll is the weak point for me :P

Overall a better album than Screaming For Vengeance.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #589 on: March 17, 2015, 09:38:28 AM »
Kind of interesting hearing all the love for Defenders of the Faith, given that the reaction to it at the time it came out was "great first side, Love Bites is cool, the rest of the album is filler" in my circle of friends. It was generally considered a step down from SFV and back then, the holy grail, best Priest album there was honor went to either Stained Class or British Steel. DOTF has, in my opinion, aged better than SFV, but to this day I still think "first five songs are great, the rest less so."  :lol

See, this is something that I can kind of understand. But to call Defenders "filled with filler" (if I'm allowed to paraphrase here) and then call British Steel the holy grail of Judas Priest is mindboggling to me.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #590 on: March 17, 2015, 11:15:26 AM »
I'm just telling you how people reacted to it when it came out, and that's what they were saying  :lol

Personally I find the modern reaction to British Steel baffling, given how many people seem to either low rate it or think it one of the lesser albums. Back in 1984 people really did consider it the best album Priest made, and I think it holds up actually better than SFV or DOTF. You also have to consider the time period; we were still in vinyl back then, and it was very common to think that the best songs were on Side 1 and the first song on side two was usually a single, and beyond that were the leftovers. People never stopped singing the praises of side one of DOTF, but most people, well, you could get some to admit they liked Eat Me Alive, but Some Heads Are Gonna Roll was blatant in its commercial side and Heavy Duty/Defenders Of The Faith isn't precisely the best rock anthem Priest ever did. I think that's one reason why British Steel was highly regarded back then, it was just endless anthemic, sing in the car at top volume songs. Plus 30 years of Breaking The Law and Living After Midnight being everywhere have sapped those songs power somewhat. Living After Midnight was made to be heard out of the shitty speakers of the guy in your group who had a car, buzzed on beer at midnight on a Saturday.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #591 on: March 17, 2015, 11:36:59 AM »
True, and that's something where I can't really talk, because that was years before I was born, let alone listened to Judas Priest. But nowadays, British Steel is Rapid Fire and maybe Steeler if I'm feeling particularly generous - and that was my very first reaction to it, even before I heard Breaking the Law and Living After Midnight tons of times.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #592 on: March 17, 2015, 01:33:50 PM »

Cathedral Spires may be Priests most underrated song

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #593 on: March 17, 2015, 02:53:13 PM »
DOTF is top 3 Priest.  Amazing album.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #594 on: March 17, 2015, 03:18:00 PM »
DOTF is top 3 Priest.  Amazing album.

If you take Unleashed out of the equation its top 1 for me.