Author Topic: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024  (Read 220597 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: THE Judas Priest thread
« Reply #350 on: May 02, 2014, 03:51:44 PM »
5 bonus tracks?!  Bloody hell.

The song titles do sound cool, even if they are a bit generic.  Looks like with that number of songs most of the tracks will be short. (Providing all tracks are on one disc)
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #351 on: May 03, 2014, 11:19:25 PM »
It's surprising hearing everyone is disappointed by it. To my ears it sounds a lot like classic Priest. Sounds like something of off Painkiller maybe, just not as great. And Painkiller and the 2 Ripper albums are the only JP I really enjoy. I do wish they took a page out of Maiden's book and evolve their sound a few steps further. Then agains, maybe thats what they tried to do on their last album?..

Offline Hayden

« Reply #352 on: May 04, 2014, 02:37:09 AM »
The first single usually isn't one of the best songs on the album.

No, it isn't. But the biggest problem here is the way the song sounds, and the reasons why it's below par - lifeless production and cliche songwriting: two things that are likely to be present throughout the whole album. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 03:18:59 AM by Hayden »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #353 on: May 04, 2014, 03:58:09 AM »
Sounds like something of off Painkiller maybe

I must be listening a different song to you.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #354 on: May 04, 2014, 04:21:38 AM »
It does sound a bit like a watered-down and lifelessly mixed/mastered "Hell Patrol".

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #355 on: May 04, 2014, 04:30:03 AM »
I can hear how the riff is similar to Hell Patrol, but that's as far as it goes.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #356 on: May 04, 2014, 10:33:49 AM »
I've listened to it again. I think it's a good song, but will never be top tier for the band, or something I would go out of my way to listen to.

But with 18 tracks, I'm fully confident there will be some major ass kickers on this disc

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #357 on: May 04, 2014, 02:04:07 PM »
It might sound similar, stylistically, to classic Priest, but there wasn't much memorable about it.  It sounds like it should have been one of those throwaway songs that litter albums like Point of Entry or Ram It Down.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #358 on: May 04, 2014, 02:08:39 PM »
It's pretty much generic Judas Priest. I've listened to it twice now and both times I drifted away halfway through it. I know you can't judge an album by one song, but if this is representative of the rest of the album, I am wondering if this trip was really necessary.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #359 on: May 06, 2014, 02:35:47 AM »
I'm predicting this album will sound very much like classic priest. Meaning the new song is a good indicator of what to expect. That's actually kinda cool, because I was hoping for another Painkiller. But I also want to see them doing something new. You can't please everyone. In fact, it seems you can't please ANYone.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #360 on: May 06, 2014, 06:07:09 AM »
It's pretty much generic Judas Priest. I've listened to it twice now and both times I drifted away halfway through it. I know you can't judge an album by one song, but if this is representative of the rest of the album, I am wondering if this trip was really necessary.

That's what I'm afraid of.  If the album is poor, I'd rather them have finished on a note like Nostradamus.  Even though it wasn't the best, years later it's would have been a decent finish for the band.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #361 on: May 06, 2014, 06:08:41 AM »
I'd rather they end their career with this new album that sounds like classic Priest than ending on that very sour note that was the Nostradamus travesty. IMHO of course.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #362 on: May 06, 2014, 06:10:44 AM »
I liked Nostradamus a lot.

*hides*
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #363 on: May 06, 2014, 06:14:48 AM »
I pulled that cd out the other day and had it in the car and I was surprised that I actually didn't mind it.  There's a bit of filler and the ballads are pretty weak, but songs like the title track, Future of Mankind, Alone, Exiled, Persecution, Conquest, Prophecy, PAP, Revelations are pretty fucking killer.

An edited 1 cd version of this album would be quite something.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #364 on: May 06, 2014, 06:27:52 AM »
I agree it could use some trimming down. The part that falls flat for me the most is everything after Alone until the title track. I like the small acoustic tracks on disc 1, but on the second disc it's just too much.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #365 on: May 06, 2014, 06:29:27 AM »
You're right, disc 2 drags a lot more than the first.

Online Mladen

« Reply #366 on: May 06, 2014, 08:55:24 AM »
Now when I think about it, back when Nostradamus came out, I was absolutely convinced it would be the last Judas Priest album. There was something about Future of mankind that made me think how perfect that song would be as the very last song of theirs.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #367 on: May 06, 2014, 08:56:55 AM »
I'm predicting this album will sound very much like classic priest. Meaning the new song is a good indicator of what to expect. That's actually kinda cool, because I was hoping for another Painkiller. But I also want to see them doing something new. You can't please everyone. In fact, it seems you can't please ANYone.

Why are you acting like everyone wants to NOT like the new song or album?  It's not like we are all sitting around thinking, "Man, I can't wait to listen to the new Priest song so I can not like it!" :lol :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #368 on: May 06, 2014, 03:26:25 PM »
I've decided the song is just flat and disappointing.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #369 on: May 06, 2014, 04:56:03 PM »
I agree with Wolf, if Nostradamus was edited to one disc, it would have been night and day more enjoyable.  Still decent, but I just feel obligated to listen to it once in a while.  And when I do, it always seems to drag just a little too long.

Offline Hayden

« Reply #370 on: May 06, 2014, 07:52:18 PM »
I agree with Wolf, if Nostradamus was edited to one disc, it would have been night and day more enjoyable.  Still decent, but I just feel obligated to listen to it once in a while.  And when I do, it always seems to drag just a little too long.

As much as I liked the album, I think I have to agree. It probably could have done with the removal and bonus-track-ification of 5 songs.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #371 on: May 07, 2014, 12:59:12 AM »
And I'm glad they didn't finish their career with Nostradamus.

I'm not expecting to be blown away by this new one, but I'm hoping for something as good as A of R.  Im confident it will be very good.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #372 on: May 07, 2014, 04:43:26 AM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/rob-halford-says-new-judas-priest-album-redeemer-of-souls-is-relentless/

On the amount of time it took to put together JUDAS PRIEST's new studio album, "Redeemer Of Souls":

Halford: "Six years has whizzed by, but in that time, of course, we did not only the 'Nostradamus' tour, but the 'Epitaph' tour as well. Then we got into writing mode and made 'Redeemer Of Souls'. So we ain't been hanging out doing nothing."

Tipton: "It's 18 or 19 tracks — I can never remember — so there's a big chunk of work there. But we enjoyed it. It's returning back to the roots of PRIEST. It's classic PRIEST."

Halford: "When we finished 'Epitaph', we just got so buzzed from the fans and the reaction wherever we went. Just to put the 'Epitaph' tour together, which was we tried to put a song from every record into the show, and we were living in the life of JUDAS PRIEST, all those decades, in one show, night after night on the world trek, and I think that really did something to us eternally; as musicians, it should do when you tour. So we realized that this next record really had to be really strong, full of energy, because it's relentless, the tracks are relentless. The energy that you feel off 'Redeemer Of Souls' is replicated in that direction time and time and time again."

On whether they still feel good about "Nostradamus" six years after the album's release:

Tipton: "Yeah. [We're] absolutely proud of the album. Yeah, it was a little bit off the wall, and it wasn't quite a small element of people expected from PRIEST, and maybe they would prefer a more PRIEST classic album. But we've done it now, with 'Redeemer Of Souls', a completely classic PRIEST album, and probably the same element will turn around and say, 'I wish they'd tried something a bit different.' So you can't please all of the people all of the time, or some of the people some of the time, whatever that saying is. But we enjoyed writing ['Nostradamus']… A lot of it was done on keyboards, wasn't it?! We wanted to do a concept album. We've always wanted to do something that was a bit different, and we've never been afraid to experiment and try. You never know how it's gonna turn out, but you've gotta try these things and we're very proud of that album. And the small element, again, that said, 'We want more classic PRIEST,' we listened — you've gotta listen to your fans — and that's what we've done now. And you couldn't have a more classic album than 'Redeemer Of Souls'."

Halford: "If you look at bands of longevity, like PRIEST, you see the trail of music that we've left, I don't think we could have probably made as great a record as we have with 'Redeemer Of Souls' if we didn't have 'Nostradamus' as a reference point. It's a stepping stone to the next place. Every record that we've made, we've tried to give it some distinction, some separate identity. 'British Steel' doesn't sound like 'Stained Class', 'Stained Class' doesn't sound like 'Painkiller', 'Painkiller' doesn't sound like 'Defenders Of The Faith'… So I think everything has its place and has its moments, and we've always fed off these different areas that we've gone into with our metal. So thanks to 'Nostradamus', we've got 'Redeemer Of Souls'."

On why there are five "bonus" tracks that are included on the deluxe version of the album and do not appear on the CD's regular version:

Tipton: "They are all great songs. The reason they are not on the album is because the 13 that we chose are very consistent with what we wanted to do, which was release an undisputable heavy metal album. The others, they are not lightweight by any chance, but they've got a different feel, a different texture. So it's not a case of trying to rip the kids off and trying to get more money for an extra album, it's just a case of, these five tracks seem to deserve to go on their own CD, and that's what we did."

Halford: "We didn't want to drop the energy. From the opening thunder-and-lightning on 'Dragonaut' right up 'till the end of 'Battle Cry', it's just full-on, it's relentless. It's great."

I hope they don't count the title track as 'relentless', or else they are showing their age.  Also, says right there that the bonus tracks will be on a seperate cd, so hopefully we will get a couple of longer numbers.

Also, the term 'classic Priest' is being thrown around a lot, but that term to me really doesn't mean anything because Priest has always changed their sound up from album to album.  They have always broken new ground and done new things, so 'classic Priest' doesn't say much to me to be honest.

Classic Priest could mean, Sad Wings, Class, Hell Bent, Steel, Vengeance, Defenders, Painkiller, even Angel to a lesser extent,

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #373 on: May 07, 2014, 01:16:33 PM »
Well I guess I will be getting both versions :)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #374 on: May 09, 2014, 12:01:45 PM »
Nostradamus is dead to me!  :censored 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #375 on: May 09, 2014, 04:06:52 PM »
Nostradamus is dead to me!  :censored

:lol  wut?

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #376 on: May 10, 2014, 11:36:05 AM »
That first track doesn't sound relentless to me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: May 11, 2014, 03:23:31 AM »
That first track doesn't sound relentless to me.

Yeah, I said that above when I read the article.  It's anything but relentless.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #378 on: May 14, 2014, 09:59:35 AM »
New song snippet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNwgt1-w5bM March of the Damned

I like this snippet a lot more than redeemer of souls.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #379 on: May 14, 2014, 11:11:27 AM »
too short, but sounds good

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #380 on: May 14, 2014, 12:32:53 PM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/rob-halford-says-new-judas-priest-album-redeemer-of-souls-is-relentless/

SNIP

I hope they don't count the title track as 'relentless', or else they are showing their age.  Also, says right there that the bonus tracks will be on a seperate cd, so hopefully we will get a couple of longer numbers.

Also, the term 'classic Priest' is being thrown around a lot, but that term to me really doesn't mean anything because Priest has always changed their sound up from album to album.  They have always broken new ground and done new things, so 'classic Priest' doesn't say much to me to be honest.

Classic Priest could mean, Sad Wings, Class, Hell Bent, Steel, Vengeance, Defenders, Painkiller, even Angel to a lesser extent,
Man, they're terrible at camouflaging their bullshit. That was textbook non-speak. Classic is a meaningless descriptor. The bonus tracks are filler. The Epitaph tour was largely just the same greatest hits tour they've been doing since Rob returned. Nobody ever bags on their own albums. As much a I love the old Priest, they're gone and this interview just further drives that point home.

Think I'll be listening to Stained Class this afternoon. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #381 on: May 14, 2014, 03:13:36 PM »

Think I'll be listening to Stained Class this afternoon.
..or Saxon. :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: May 14, 2014, 04:30:46 PM »
New song snippet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNwgt1-w5bM March of the Damned

I like this snippet a lot more than redeemer of souls.

Man, this sounds as flat and uninspired as ROS.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #383 on: May 15, 2014, 10:50:45 AM »
Album cover:

Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #384 on: May 15, 2014, 10:58:21 AM »
Judas Prophecy
Mystic Priest