Author Topic: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024  (Read 220521 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: THE Judas Priest thread
« Reply #315 on: January 31, 2014, 11:32:47 AM »
I've always hated songs that became what a band were most known for when they don't actually reflect what the band does. BS is popular because of LAM and BtL, and they're both pretty cheesy songs. You ask any real Priest fan what the best song on the album is and they'll say Steeler, RF or Grinder. You ask any casual fan and they'll say LAM, and because of that we have to hear the thing every single time they play, without fail. That's why it just bugs me when people (including Priest who toured for it's anniversary (great show, though)), treat it like their masterpiece.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline NotePad

« Reply #316 on: January 31, 2014, 01:19:25 PM »
I agree that Halford is a very impressive vocalist. I have yet to listen to Priests last 2 records, but I'm curious how he is on them. Does he still go as high pitched and scream like he did in the past? And can he pull it off live?

Singers like Halford are very impressive. I'm a fan of Nevermore, and when I went back to listen to a Sanctuary album i couldn't even recognize Warrel Dane. And then I watched an interview with him and was surprised by how deep his voice was. It's crazy for someone with such a deep voice could sing so high. Of course he was younger, and in Nevermore he never screams like that. But he claims he still can.

Offline adace

« Reply #317 on: April 27, 2014, 09:02:40 PM »
"The wait is almost over!
Only a few more hours until we reveal a track from our new album!"

:metal :metal :metal

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #318 on: April 27, 2014, 09:06:24 PM »
I agree that Halford is a very impressive vocalist. I have yet to listen to Priests last 2 records, but I'm curious how he is on them. Does he still go as high pitched and scream like he did in the past? And can he pull it off live?

Singers like Halford are very impressive. I'm a fan of Nevermore, and when I went back to listen to a Sanctuary album i couldn't even recognize Warrel Dane. And then I watched an interview with him and was surprised by how deep his voice was. It's crazy for someone with such a deep voice could sing so high. Of course he was younger, and in Nevermore he never screams like that. But he claims he still can.
Yeah, Warrel Dane seems to only claim that. I remember him tweeting or mentioning in interviews that the Oblivion Conspiracy will have some Sanctuary type vocals and I don't remember anything like that, and the album was quite mediocre too.
As for Halford, don't expect him to do anything spectacular, I guess he's doing OK for his age but man, it's just sad when I hear them live. Should have stuck with Owens.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #319 on: April 28, 2014, 02:58:18 AM »
Tim Owens was a fuckin amazing singer, and perfect for JP. People are dumb, he sang the old material in such a way that was just amazing, and the two albums of his are really impressive. But not because of people bitching we're gonna end up with another mediocre-shitty album full of music written in an effort to only satisfy these bitching fans, not written for artistic expression.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #320 on: April 28, 2014, 03:14:58 AM »
Nothing beats those opening lines, 'Whiskey woman don't you know you are driving me insaaaaaaaaaane?'  :metal :hefdaddy
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #321 on: April 28, 2014, 03:21:29 AM »
"The wait is almost over!
Only a few more hours until we reveal a track from our new album!"

:metal :metal :metal

Wow, I didn't expect a new song already.  I'm intrigued to see what the Priest can deliver.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #322 on: April 28, 2014, 03:43:23 AM »
Judas Priest - Redeemer of Souls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhkoNQ-7uRw

Worldwide Release.
Due out on:
   14th July in the UK
   15th July in the US

Friday 11th July:
Australia
Austria
Benelux
Finland
Germany
Ireland
New Zealand
Norway
Sweden
Switzerland
Turkey

Monday 14th July:
Asia (excluding Japan)
Czech Republic
Denmark
France
Greece
Hungary
Poland
Portugal
South Africa
UK

Tuesday 15th July:
Canada
Italy
Latin America
Russia
Spain
USA

Wednesday 16th July:
Japan

Online Mladen

« Reply #323 on: April 28, 2014, 03:46:58 AM »
That was quite good.  :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #324 on: April 28, 2014, 03:47:26 AM »
Man, this is soft.  Sounds like it belongs on Halford IV.

Offline adace

« Reply #325 on: April 28, 2014, 03:48:49 AM »
Thought they would put out something heavier but this is pretty good. Sounds like classic Priest.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #326 on: April 28, 2014, 04:15:23 AM »
Just listened to it a second time, it's decent enough I guess.  It sounds like a track that would sit in the number 6 or 7 position on an album.  Perhaps I'm expecting too much but since this will obviously be their last studio album, I'd thought they would try and make a bold statement.  This just seems very safe.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #327 on: April 28, 2014, 05:16:00 AM »
I agree Kade - stuff they could write in their sleep. Not terrible but hasn't got me optimistic that they're using this to promote a new album.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline mirko_metal_88

« Reply #328 on: April 28, 2014, 09:06:02 AM »
The song is good (not a masterpiece, but definitely good!)...the vocals are a bit too "soft"...i'm not talking about screams o high nother or that stuff, i' talking about a bit more "aggressive" tone, maybe some more vocal harmony on the chorus...the production is a bit lame and weak, but still a better work than that nostradamus stuff which i really dislike..

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #329 on: April 28, 2014, 10:21:16 AM »
Sounds like they've been listening to a lot of Mystic Prophecy.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #330 on: April 28, 2014, 11:23:15 AM »
solid track.  But I agree, it does come across as kind of soft and unspectacular.  Was hoping for something heavier; but again, this is just the first single.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #331 on: April 28, 2014, 01:33:48 PM »
That. Was. Shit.
Devoid of anything that says classic Priest. And I like Point of Entry which didn't exactly rock hard.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #332 on: April 28, 2014, 04:10:35 PM »
The song is good (not a masterpiece, but definitely good!)...the vocals are a bit too "soft"...i'm not talking about screams o high nother or that stuff, i' talking about a bit more "aggressive" tone, maybe some more vocal harmony on the chorus...the production is a bit lame and weak, but still a better work than that nostradamus stuff which i really dislike..

I think that may be my main problem with it too, Rob's vocals.  They are just flat.  As I said, it sounds like it belongs of Halford IV IMO.  I think if Rob delivery was a little more alive and sharp, it would improve it, but the guy is over 60, I spose we should be grateful we have another album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: April 28, 2014, 04:13:43 PM »
Apparentely, there are 18 songs on the album.  Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.   

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #334 on: April 28, 2014, 04:25:33 PM »
Apparentely, there are 18 songs on the album.  Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.

I'm on the fence too. Generally speaking though, 18 tracks isn't a good sign.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #335 on: April 28, 2014, 04:33:24 PM »

I'm on the fence too. Generally speaking though, 18 tracks isn't a good sign.

That's what I was thinking.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #336 on: April 28, 2014, 05:18:16 PM »
Start with Rocka Rolla and finish with Fulla Filla.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #337 on: April 28, 2014, 10:43:21 PM »
18 tracks?  not a good sign

I'm confident that this will be their last album.  Honestly I was just hoping for a 10 track album with old school heavy metal tracks.

I wasn't overly impressed with Nostradamus or Halford 4; this song sounds like a combination of the two.  Hopefully there are better tracks, and with 18, there better be.

Halford just sounds flat on this track, but still sounds good for a guy his age.  Looking forward to the samples to get a better idea of this one though.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #338 on: April 29, 2014, 03:55:14 AM »
Actually it sounds VERY MUCH like classic Priest. And isn't that what people have wanted all along, with all that bitching about Nostradamus and the Ripper stuff? Looks like these 'fans' are finally gonna get what they've been asking for, but the majority of them will still complain. Makes me sick.

The song itself is mediocre. I'v never been a huge fan of classic Priest myself, i like the Ripper stuff. Painkiller was great though. This new songs sounds like it could be off of Painkiller actually, but not as good and with bad production. But I have a feeling the album will be very much like Painkiller overall, which I don't mind because I have been hoping for that. There are a lot of bands who have tried to copy the Painkiller sound (No World Order....GR), it's nice to see the originators coming back and showing them how it's done. I just hope the WHOLE album doesn't sound like Painkiller Pt. 2, but more like Painkiller: Version 10 (a step further and more modern..)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #339 on: April 29, 2014, 04:24:52 AM »
Actually it sounds VERY MUCH like classic Priest. And isn't that what people have wanted all along, with all that bitching about Nostradamus and the Ripper stuff? Looks like these 'fans' are finally gonna get what they've been asking for, but the majority of them will still complain. Makes me sick.

The song itself is mediocre. I'v never been a huge fan of classic Priest myself, i like the Ripper stuff. Painkiller was great though. This new songs sounds like it could be off of Painkiller actually, but not as good and with bad production. But I have a feeling the album will be very much like Painkiller overall, which I don't mind because I have been hoping for that. There are a lot of bands who have tried to copy the Painkiller sound (No World Order....GR), it's nice to see the originators coming back and showing them how it's done. I just hope the WHOLE album doesn't sound like Painkiller Pt. 2, but more like Painkiller: Version 10 (a step further and more modern..)

I don't care what it sounds like as long as it's good.  And people won't complain what it sounds like, they will complain that the song is pretty shit, and you even said it yourself.

I don't hear how this sounds like classic Priest either.  I'm totally with Jason on this one.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #340 on: April 29, 2014, 10:48:05 AM »

I don't care what it sounds like as long as it's good.  And people won't complain what it sounds like, they will complain that the song is pretty shit, and you even said it yourself.

I don't hear how this sounds like classic Priest either.  I'm totally with Jason on this one.

No, classic Priest had good songs even when Rob's vocal delivery was more laid back. This is just a not very good song.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #341 on: April 29, 2014, 01:36:03 PM »
Start with Rocka Rolla and finish with Fulla Filla.

This made me LOL quite hard  :rollin

Sadly, this track does very little for me.  I guess my tastes have kind of moved on from this kind of thing.

I agree that it sounds a bit too "safe" - I'd even call it "metal by numbers"

I'll probably pick it up at some point in a few months when it's in the $5.00 CD bin at WalMart, next to the Linda Rondstadt's Greatest Hits and Best of The Doobie Brothers

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #342 on: April 30, 2014, 07:38:35 AM »
I like it, although it's a bit too hell patrol-ly. Also on a side note Nostradamus(especially the title track) is starting to grow on me.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #343 on: April 30, 2014, 11:50:03 AM »
Nostradamus has a lot of good material, it's just held back by too much filler.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #344 on: May 02, 2014, 08:16:44 AM »
Tracklist from their official website:

DRAGONAUT
REDEEMER OF SOULS
HALLS OF VALHALLA
SWORD OF DAMOCLES
MARCH OF THE DAMNED
DOWN IN FLAMES
HELL & BACK
COLD BLOODED
METALIZER
CROSSFIRE
SECRETS OF THE DEAD
BATTLE CRY
BEGINNING OF THE END

Bonus tracks:

SNAKEBITE
TEARS OF BLOOD
CREATURES
BRING IT ON
NEVER FORGET

Release date July 15th in the US.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline emtee

« Reply #345 on: May 02, 2014, 08:41:17 AM »
Big long time fan of Priest. Nothing about that song would make me want to come back to it. I passed on Nostradamus but
did buy Angel Of Retribution and think that it stands with some of JP's best albums. Super heavy and enjoyable except for
1 dud song. I'll give the new album a try despite this lackluster song.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #346 on: May 02, 2014, 09:09:44 AM »
I will say that the song titles sound very cool

Online Mladen

« Reply #347 on: May 02, 2014, 09:11:18 AM »
Very cool. I liked Angel of retribution and Nostradamus quite a bit, so there's no reason for me to be skeptical about the new album. I'm looking forward to it.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #348 on: May 02, 2014, 09:33:09 AM »
The first single usually isn't one of the best songs on the album. This is a definite pre-order for me
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #349 on: May 02, 2014, 10:13:54 AM »
Sameness of Song Titles