Author Topic: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024  (Read 219714 times)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Re: THE Judas Priest thread - new album and tour in 2018!!
« Reply #945 on: March 08, 2018, 02:14:39 PM »
Ordered yesterday from Amazon. Check my mailbox at 11am today and find this album.

Now I need to listen.

Oh, no mention of solos in the liner notes and no mention of any other musicians beside the core 5. I know there has been talk of Sneap playing some stuff. I also realize that not having it mentioned in the notes doesn't necessarily mean that there wasn't help either.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #946 on: March 08, 2018, 04:05:43 PM »
Ordered yesterday from Amazon. Check my mailbox at 11am today and find this album.

Now I need to listen.

Oh, no mention of solos in the liner notes and no mention of any other musicians beside the core 5. I know there has been talk of Sneap playing some stuff. I also realize that not having it mentioned in the notes doesn't necessarily mean that there wasn't help either.

I wouldn't have any reason to think that Sneap played anything.

Interested to hear the leads and how many Glen handles.  If ROS is anything to go by, I wouldn't think there would be too many.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #947 on: March 09, 2018, 12:35:42 AM »
Official video for the song 'Spectre'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVVrfqwA5lQ
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online Mladen

« Reply #948 on: March 09, 2018, 03:39:26 AM »
I've been very busy over the week, but I can't wait to listen to this album on Sunday.  :metal

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #949 on: March 09, 2018, 04:56:36 AM »

Offline Art

« Reply #950 on: March 09, 2018, 05:02:17 AM »
Just heard the album for the first time, and i'm very happy. Easily their best since Painkiller, a lot of killer songs!  :metal

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #951 on: March 09, 2018, 01:08:09 PM »
What a pleasant surprise! I really like Firepower!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #952 on: March 09, 2018, 01:08:31 PM »
What a great album :metal

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #953 on: March 09, 2018, 01:18:18 PM »
Just saw this one star review on Amazon:

“Glenn Tipton is just plain sloppy on this CD. Milkshake!”

What a huge dick.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #954 on: March 09, 2018, 01:20:18 PM »
Heard it twice. Solid album that sounds way better than Redeemer of Souls. Some average songs here and there, maybe 2-3 songs shorter it would have been even better. Earlier favorites: the first four songs, Children of the Sun, No Surrender (  :metal ) and Sea of Red. There's also a very badass instrumental part in Rising from the Ruins.

Sea of Red is a nice swan song if that will be the case, but they wrote Never Forget too early, damn them  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #955 on: March 09, 2018, 05:56:59 PM »

What a huge dick.

This person needs repeated kicks to the head.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #956 on: March 09, 2018, 07:05:32 PM »
This album kicks ass!!  :metal :metal

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #957 on: March 10, 2018, 06:54:00 AM »

What a huge dick.

This person needs repeated kicks to the head.

He's probably deaf. I respect disagreeing opinions, but it would be hard to convince me that this album is not incredible.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #958 on: March 10, 2018, 07:53:18 AM »
Three songs in, it sounds pretty good so far, better than I thought it would, but I am still waiting for the epic guitar solos.  I have never thought of myself as someone who is solo-centric when it comes to a band, but the appeal for me with Priest has always been a) their solos, and b) Rob's voice.

I see Rob is being smart and singing in his deeper voice instead of going for the high stuff a lot (like the voice he uses in the chorus to Hellrider).

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #959 on: March 10, 2018, 08:11:55 AM »
I liked a lot redeemer and this one is even better no doubt! The production is perfect, a lot better than on redeemer, of course... but there’s one thing that I like more on redeemer: the longer instrumental sections and solos.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #960 on: March 10, 2018, 09:50:52 AM »
"Chasing a dream as I go higher
Playing it mean, my heart's on fire
Living my life, ain't no pretender
Ready to fight with NO SURRENDER"

:metal

Man I love this song. It could be called cheesy or chasing after the '80s style but I don't care, it bloody rocks  :hat
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #961 on: March 10, 2018, 10:07:25 AM »
"Chasing a dream as I go higher
Playing it mean, my heart's on fire
Living my life, ain't no pretender
Ready to fight with NO SURRENDER"

Man I love this song. It could be called cheesy or chasing after the '80s style but I don't care, it bloody rocks  :hat

Yeah, instant classic! :metal
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #962 on: March 10, 2018, 05:38:16 PM »
Gave it a listen last night. Solid album. It's basically ROS with much better production and less filler. While not all the songs on Firepower are a homerun it doesn't suffer from the mid album slump that I felt that Redeemer had.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #963 on: March 11, 2018, 05:49:28 AM »
Get your own Judas Priest-styled name!  :metal

https://judaspriest-namegenerator.com/

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #964 on: March 11, 2018, 06:15:50 AM »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #965 on: March 11, 2018, 04:08:51 PM »
I've listened to about 6 or 7 songs so far and this is quite impressive.  The production is quality Andy Sneap and wouldn't have expected anything less.

There is nothing here so far that would give me the impression that Andy played any guitar on this.  Glenn actually plays like you wouldn't know he had this disease, and after 6 songs he plays more than I expected.  Not sure about the rhythm and if he plays any, but given the production and mixing, I would say he does.  The guitar and lead tones are really strong and in regards to who played what, it sounds like the lead guitars are split old school Priest style for the most part.  Richie in the left and Glenn in the right.

Rob sounds great and the songs so far are top notch.  I can see 14 songs though being a little too much, but really, the more Priest the better.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #966 on: March 12, 2018, 10:02:05 AM »
Just had a listen and I think this is way better than Redeemer of Songs. Could've been a few songs shorter though I guess, but still a good album. Good way to go out if that'll be the last Priest album we get.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #967 on: March 12, 2018, 03:28:08 PM »
My thoughts after a full listen of Firepower is really positive.  It's funny how Priest can make an album full of rehashed generic metal riffs sound so strong and fresh and exciting.  In terms or the riffs and rhythm this is such basic stuff it's unbelievable.  Nothing on here is complex or breaking any new ground at all.  The E-C-D chord progressions are strong here.  But, that makes no difference because Priest make it work within the songwriting.  How the simplicity of a riff like Rising from Ruins be so cool is commendable.

There's not too much going on in the leads here either.  As Brent said it does miss some of the trademark Tipton sound which I thought was the case on ROS also, but Glenn actually does a lot of work here and plays leads on most songs, which I'm surprised and happy about.  I'll break it down when I get a chance for some fun.  I never understood what they saw in Richie.  I still think it was the KK like image but as a lead player, he's really generic.  BUT, given the generic nature of the songs and the nice production, I think what he offers is pretty good.  He has some nice passages and note selections and his leads flow really well.  There is no one else playing here but Glenn and Richie also btw.

Rob sounds awesome, really awesome, and Sneap has done a great job on the production.  I've always liked his modern style of production, so I'm happy with it.  As for the songs, hard to pinpoint favourites as it needs more listens but Never the Heroes surprisingly is one of my favs, has that 80's feel with Glenn's presence on this one strong.  Rising From Ruins is probably my fav, that's a cracker.  No Surrender to me is like something the band has never really done, it took me by surprise but can see that being a fav too.  Evil, Spectre and Traitors are strong too as is the one two punch that starts the album.

I don't think it's got that much filler, the only one's I'd probably cut are Children of the Sun, that sounds like a ROS leftover, and Flamethrower, that's a piece of shit.  Don't know what the fuck they were thinking with that one and brings the mood down after Rising From Ruins.

All in all, very, very impressive and it's inspiring to hear Tipton play here despite what he's going through, proud to be a Priest fan.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #968 on: March 12, 2018, 03:39:38 PM »
So I've heard this once, and Traitor's Gate is EASILY my favorite song.

This is a solid album. Probably the first Priest album I've bought upon its release since Painkiller.

Similar to the last few Accept releases, this is just "confort metal".

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #969 on: March 12, 2018, 03:43:55 PM »
Rising From Ruins is probably my fav, that's a cracker.

That’s my favorite too. I wish Guardians was in it rather than as a separate track though.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #970 on: March 12, 2018, 03:49:21 PM »
Rising from the Ruins is not my favorite song on the album, but I love the instrumental middle passage, the melody is just great. Instrumental peak of he album for me!

I agree that Flame thrower is the weaker track. One could figure it out already by the title, how cliched and cheesy you must be to make a song about a flame thrower?  :lol

For the hell of it I randomly put on some Reedemer of Souls on YouTube... damn, the difference in production is overwhelming. Firepower in a sense ruined Reedemer of Souls for me. I also realized I have a hard time to remember any of the songs off the previous record, even the ones I liked the most. This is gonna be a nice and solid album, and a more than worthy way to go out if that will be the case!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #971 on: March 12, 2018, 03:50:35 PM »
So I've heard this once, and Traitor's Gate is EASILY my favorite song.

This is a solid album. Probably the first Priest album I've bought upon its release since Painkiller.

Similar to the last few Accept releases, this is just "confort metal".

Andy Sneap has a big part in that.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #972 on: March 12, 2018, 11:55:25 PM »
I haven't listened to JP for many years and this album has renewed my appreciation of the metal gods.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #973 on: March 13, 2018, 04:59:08 AM »
I haven't listened to JP for many years and this album has renewed my appreciation of the metal gods.

I don't think any Priest fan of any kind or era could not be satisfied with this album.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #974 on: March 13, 2018, 02:02:49 PM »
"I couldn't dream
To be without her kind
They wouldn't let her be
Or heal what she defiled

You are the hate that beats mankind
Torturous lies that lead the blind
Squandered the truth from all we said
You are the reason I feel dead"

This passage of Children of the Sun is awesome and so intense.

I'd say cut Flamethrower and Lone Wolf (also for pacing reasons - after the injection of adrenaline of No Surrender, go straight into the final epic) and you have a damn fine 12 songs (ok, 11 + 1) album  :metal
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 03:48:27 PM by MirrorMask »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #975 on: March 13, 2018, 03:41:09 PM »
I don't mind Lone Wolf, it's a bit different.  To me it sounds like a mix of a RoyZ/Dickinson song and Metallica.  I think it's placed as the second last song for a reason though.

Flamethrower needs to fuck off.  That could be the most cringe worthy song the band has ever done IMO.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #976 on: March 13, 2018, 08:19:23 PM »

I don't think any Priest fan of any kind or era could not be satisfied with this album.

Eh, I wouldn't go that far.  It was a solid listen (on YT), but it didn't make me want to buy it, and I doubt I'd go out of my way to listen to it very much if I did buy it. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #977 on: March 13, 2018, 08:20:39 PM »

Eh, I wouldn't go that far.  It was a solid listen (on YT), but it didn't make me want to buy it, and I doubt I'd go out of my way to listen to it very much if I did buy it.

So you're the 1 out of 10 dentists that doesn't recommend Colgate? :neverusethis:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #978 on: March 13, 2018, 08:29:15 PM »
I am no better. I have been guilty of this before.

A new album comes out by an aging band, one that really surprises you and your immediate reaction is of such surprise that you think, "Damn, this is so good, it is good as their best material from way back in the day."  Then a bit of time passes, you go back and listen to those classics, and then the realization hits you: "okay, not even close."

That is what this feels like.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #979 on: March 13, 2018, 08:30:59 PM »
I think whatever Judas Priest does is gravy at this point. The fact that this not only doesn't suck, but is actually pretty good, is all bonus.