Author Topic: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024  (Read 219276 times)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: THE Judas Priest thread - new album and tour in 2018!!
« Reply #875 on: February 20, 2018, 07:33:43 AM »
Tier 1:
Sad Wings Of Destiny
Painkiller
Screaming For Vengeance
Defenders Of The Faith
Sin After Sin
Killing Machine

Tier 2:

Stained Class
British Steel
Point Of Entry
Angel Of Retribution
Redeemer Of Souls

Tier 3:
Ram It Down
Nostradamus
Jugulator
Turbo
Rocka Rolla
Demolition
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #876 on: February 20, 2018, 07:53:38 AM »
I haven't updated my list in years, so here's what it looks like now:

Screaming for vengeance
Point of entry
Painkiller
Angel of retribution
Defenders of the faith
Sin after sin

Killing machine
Nostradamus
Brittish steel
Rocka rolla
Sad wings of destiny
Stained class

Redeemer of souls
Turbo
Ram it down
Jugulator
Demolition

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #877 on: February 20, 2018, 08:47:02 AM »
Painkiller was Priest's latest attempt to roll with the times. Like the others I think it's pretty unremarkable. When you change your tune to meet the style of the time you never really excel at anything. Once they started putting out a completely different album every year they lost their consistency. For my money, One Shot at Glory is a great song and the rest I can do without.

Sad Wings
Stained Class

Screaming
Defenders
Rocka Rolla
Sin After Sin

Point of Entry
Painkiller
Killing Machine
British Steel

Turbo
Ram it Down
Nostradamus
Angel of Retribution
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #878 on: February 20, 2018, 04:57:32 PM »
I like One Shot at Glory a lot, but A Touch of Evil and Night Crawler are the ones from that record that really slay me.  The song Painkiller is a skipper for me.

The album itself would not make my Priest top 5.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #879 on: February 20, 2018, 05:10:02 PM »
I like One Shot at Glory a lot, but A Touch of Evil and Night Crawler are the ones from that record that really slay me.  The song Painkiller is a skipper for me.

The album itself would not make my Priest top 5.

One Shot At Glory , Night Crawler and A Touch of Evil were also my "go-to" tunes from Painkiller.    One Shot......was one of those songs that created a lot of imagery in the mind for me while listening.

Painkiller was my first JP album and remains a favourite , although I did skip a track or two generally.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #880 on: February 21, 2018, 12:42:44 AM »
Night Crawler is one of their best songs ever IMHO. Painkiller, All Guns Blazing, Metal Meltdown, Leather Rebel, A Touch Of Evil - lots of great ones there.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #881 on: February 21, 2018, 01:21:27 AM »
One Shot at Glory is indeed one of their best songs and a worthy closer of such a stellar album.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #882 on: February 21, 2018, 03:55:41 AM »
The end of One Shot is easily one of Rob's greatest moments.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #883 on: February 21, 2018, 07:42:23 AM »
Painkiller was Priest's latest attempt to roll with the times. Like the others I think it's pretty unremarkable. When you change your tune to meet the style of the time you never really excel at anything. Once they started putting out a completely different album every year they lost their consistency. For my money, One Shot at Glory is a great song and the rest I can do without.

Sad Wings
Stained Class

Screaming
Defenders
Rocka Rolla
Sin After Sin

Point of Entry
Painkiller
Killing Machine
British Steel

Turbo
Ram it Down
Nostradamus
Angel of Retribution

Knowing  how much you revere Stained Class (rightfully so; it's a killer album) I'm surprised how low Killing Machine and British Steel are.   I sort of get British Steel - it's patchy, and even though it was a hit, "Living..." isn't, in my view, a strong song - but Killing machine is pretty solid.  Maybe.  Sort of.   :)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #884 on: February 21, 2018, 12:27:24 PM »
I'm pretty excited for another (final, perhaps?) chapter of Priest. I noted on the Wiki page for Firepower, that Andy Sneap was also credited with "additional guitars" on the album, perhaps signaling there were songs Tipton couldn't perform on? I'm not sure, asking for those that are more plugged in and are bigger fans than me.

I thought Redeemer of Souls was a really good record for Priest. I've very much enjoyed their output over the last several releases.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #885 on: February 21, 2018, 01:04:54 PM »

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #886 on: February 21, 2018, 01:13:30 PM »
Great review :tup Looking forward to the album. Sounds like they improved on the production of RoS.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #887 on: February 21, 2018, 01:18:37 PM »

Sad Wings
Stained Class

Screaming
Defenders
Rocka Rolla
Sin After Sin

Point of Entry
Painkiller
Killing Machine
British Steel

Turbo
Ram it Down
Nostradamus
Angel of Retribution

Knowing  how much you revere Stained Class (rightfully so; it's a killer album) I'm surprised how low Killing Machine and British Steel are.   I sort of get British Steel - it's patchy, and even though it was a hit, "Living..." isn't, in my view, a strong song - but Killing machine is pretty solid.  Maybe.  Sort of.   :)
All the albums in that tier have their moments, and I could see moving KM up one. I think it's a function of A: much of the good stuff being overshadowed by things that are truly dreadful, and B: being a big step down from Stained Class. A is a problem with a lot of their albums. Rapid Fire is one serious motherfucker of a song, one of their very best in my book, but man, British Steel as a whole is just terrible.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #888 on: February 21, 2018, 02:48:43 PM »
Great review :tup Looking forward to the album. Sounds like they improved on the production of RoS.

With Andy Sneap at the helm, this was always a given.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #889 on: February 21, 2018, 04:54:05 PM »

They did. Immensely.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #890 on: February 26, 2018, 11:43:09 PM »
So Ken wasn't asked to come and it seems he would have;

The news that Glenn has finally been forced to come to terms with his unfortunate condition long term came with deep regret and sadness for me. Equally, this ending of our guitar duo era is also something that I have to come to terms with. The insatiable appetite that myself and Glenn had for creating inspired and unique music for the world to enjoy for many decades, is something that can never be erased. However, everyone who has witnessed the evolution of our beloved music must come to terms with the fact that things will inevitably change, or just simply end.
I have to state with great sadness also that I am shocked and stunned that I wasn’t approached to step into my original role as guitarist for Judas Priest. Whether I could have stepped back into the band or not, the potential for this situation arising never entered my head when I departed – although I too am officially and legally still a member of Judas Priest.
However, I know now more clearly than ever that I did the right thing by leaving the band when I did – as it seems that my time spent in the band, and my value in terms of crafting its huge legacy, was and is unappreciated by more than one member. I sincerely hope, for the fans’ sake, that the decision not to approach me was not a financial one.
I know Andy Sneap – and he is one of the greatest contributors to rock and metal that you will ever have the privilege to meet. To that end I have no doubt that his contribution to the new Judas Priest album was much more than just as a producer. All that’s left is for you the fans to go out and enjoy the band as it is, in order to complete a part of music history in which every one of you has played such an important role.
K.K.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #891 on: February 27, 2018, 01:10:26 AM »
A poor excuse that I can come up with is that the replacement of KK himself is still in the band - it's like when Dave Murray and Janick Gers were the two guitarists of Iron Maiden, say Dave Murray goes away and they don't ask Adrian Smith back because the one who took over Smith's part and solos is still there.

But still, it should have been a no brainer, just have Richie learn Glenn's solos and tour with still an original guitarist.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #892 on: February 27, 2018, 03:59:39 AM »
Just read his statement.  Wow, I don't know what to think.  There's obviously more to leaving than we know.  I don't know if his statement here is necessary to be honest given Glen's state, but he obviously needed to say it so I repect that.

Saying that, he left the band, I don't really think the band are at fault for not approaching him, but the decision on a replacement was made while the whole thing was still behind closed doors so I can see where he is coming from.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #893 on: February 27, 2018, 06:45:35 AM »
Maybe they thought he just wouldn't be interested in returning.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #894 on: February 27, 2018, 07:50:55 AM »
I feel like this is one of those things that gets printed, then a week later they all talk and it's water under the bridge.  I know for me, if I was in a band and someone left, and was seemingly happy, and another guy left, I'm not sure my first move is to call the first guy and say "hey!", even if it's something I want.   We're all adults; if you want to play with us, just say so, don't make me guess.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #895 on: February 27, 2018, 11:58:25 AM »
The thought had certainly occurred to me, and financially it would have been a no-brainer. Honestly, it might have sold a few more tickets than the original plan just due its oddball nature. As it is now tickets are already selling for below face, and it's still very early. It's conceivable that I pick up a ticket for $15, see Saxon whip some ass, and then leave so I don't have to be bummed out by Priest.

Most likely explanation is that there's some bad blood there, but it's certainly possible they just didn't figure he'd be interested. His explanation for leaving was that they just weren't as good as he expected them to be, and unless Glenn was the problem, which seems doubtful to me, that situation hasn't changed.
E.F. Benson

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #896 on: February 27, 2018, 12:37:18 PM »
If KK Downing is as he said, a legal member of the biz and band, then reading through all the red tape, he's probably one of four principal members of the band. Halford, Tipton, Downing, and Ian Hill. That means that Downing gets a piece of the band's profits after expenses (including paying what I assume are the salaries of Richie Faulkner and Scott Travis, who I assume are not principals, but hired hands.

So financially, it probably would have made more sense to bring Downing back on if he really wants to play. And if he does, I am thinking Andy Sneap would very much be OK with stepping aside. Here's hoping it was just a communication hiccup between the guys in Priest. Because when Tipton announced he couldn't tour, I naturally assumed Downing would do them a solid and step back in. The fact he didn't, and Sneap was on board, made little sense to me.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #897 on: February 27, 2018, 12:56:22 PM »
I wonder what his issues with the level of the band's performances actually was. From what I understand of drums (nothing), Scott Travis seems the usual war machine to me. And Ian Hill, love and respect the man, but c'mon, being cynical, who even notices he's there? that leaves Glenn, and Rob himself. Could it be that he took issues with the performances of Rob, and when he knew that Glenn had been diagnosed, said "Ok, one guitarist is gonna lose it and the singer can't belt out the notes, I'm out?"

Also there must have been other reasons for stepping down BEFORE the tour, which, for the record, was awesome - a long set with Rob doing quite decently. I really wish KK was there, and that he stepped down after.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #898 on: February 27, 2018, 01:21:20 PM »
I wonder what his issues with the level of the band's performances actually was. From what I understand of drums (nothing), Scott Travis seems the usual war machine to me. And Ian Hill, love and respect the man, but c'mon, being cynical, who even notices he's there? that leaves Glenn, and Rob himself. Could it be that he took issues with the performances of Rob, and when he knew that Glenn had been diagnosed, said "Ok, one guitarist is gonna lose it and the singer can't belt out the notes, I'm out?"

Also there must have been other reasons for stepping down BEFORE the tour, which, for the record, was awesome - a long set with Rob doing quite decently. I really wish KK was there, and that he stepped down after.
It needn't be a loss or lack of talent. Maybe he just felt some of them were taking the piss. If it was a talent problem then I'm pointing squarely at Rob on that one.

And to be honest, I wouldn't give Rob "fair" on that tour. He sang well on some songs but largely by half-assing others. Moreove,r it was clear that he could only scream his way trough the high parts. That was the where I decided that the whole thing had just become too depressing to continue.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #899 on: February 27, 2018, 01:25:56 PM »

Not pointing fingers at you, but where are you getting the notion of "the band's performance"?    I didn't see anything like that in K.K.'s statement.  The only thing I took was a reference to the idea that perhaps KK knew of Glenn's issues and wasn't on board with him not addressing it sooner. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #900 on: February 27, 2018, 01:28:33 PM »
Quote from: Kenny Downing
I had lots and lots of reasons for not continuing, as I wasn't content with things as they were. I wasn't happy with the band's live performance. I thought it could have been better; not that the fans would notice. To me, [Judas Priest] was always a stealth machine and that's what I liked about it. Even though you get older, you still need to be able to deliver the goods. People came a long way and paid a lot of money to see us, so you've got to make sure you still give 110 percent. I thought that should be inherent and what it should always be.

edit: there actually is a second part to his remarks up there:
There had been an on-going breakdown in working relationships between myself, elements of the band and management for some time.
Sheer speculation, but I wonder if Glenn was the element. That's why he might wonder why they didn't ring him when Glenn bowed out.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #901 on: February 27, 2018, 01:31:48 PM »
Quote from: Kenny Downing
I had lots and lots of reasons for not continuing, as I wasn't content with things as they were. I wasn't happy with the band's live performance. I thought it could have been better; not that the fans would notice. To me, [Judas Priest] was always a stealth machine and that's what I liked about it. Even though you get older, you still need to be able to deliver the goods. People came a long way and paid a lot of money to see us, so you've got to make sure you still give 110 percent. I thought that should be inherent and what it should always be.

When did he say that? Above when he talked about rejoining, or back when he first left?   

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #902 on: February 27, 2018, 02:29:30 PM »
Reading between the lines, I think it's clear that Glen has a big part in all of this, IMO.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #903 on: February 27, 2018, 02:49:10 PM »
Reading between the lines, I think it's clear that Glen has a big part in all of this, IMO.

agreed.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #904 on: February 27, 2018, 03:04:14 PM »
Glen is by far the better guitarist, but I always saw him as a very dominating factor in the band and somewhat over KK also, but he has that dominating aura which is appealing, he is Priest.  But I guess the solo credits is the only thing I have to back this up, Glen heavily outweighs KK there.  I'd be really interested to see how much of the music and lyrics were written between the three of them.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #905 on: February 27, 2018, 03:27:29 PM »
This is all pretty plausible. Since Rob has always been the voice of the band, doing interviews and whatnot, it's hard to say who the dominating personalities are. I suppose it's possible the Ian Hill is a soul crushing tyrant who keeps them in check through force and intimidation, but my money probably would be on Glenn.

It also seems that the British Steel anniversary tour was KK's last, so I wonder if that factored into the whole thing. It kind of sucked and did seem like a bit of a cash grab.
E.F. Benson

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #906 on: February 27, 2018, 04:51:33 PM »
I'm sure this is all a misunderstanding that will be easily resolved.

I actually never even thought of KK coming back to the back when they needed a replacement for Glenn.  As far as I was concerned, he retired and was content playing golf.  I assumed he would be more than willing to play a show here and there on a farewell tour, but definitely didn't think he would want to come back for a full tour.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #907 on: February 27, 2018, 08:01:23 PM »
I'm sure this is all a misunderstanding that will be easily resolved.

I actually never even thought of KK coming back to the back when they needed a replacement for Glenn.  As far as I was concerned, he retired and was content playing golf.  I assumed he would be more than willing to play a show here and there on a farewell tour, but definitely didn't think he would want to come back for a full tour.

Agree with all this.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #908 on: February 28, 2018, 04:20:05 AM »
Rob's response;

Let me just say that the great joy of JUDAS PRIEST is that we've never gone into this kind of arena of a public dispute. And it's so easy to fall into that trap in social media today. How many people have you seen in sports, for example, that have made a rash comment on Twitter, just on the heat of the moment, emotionally. You know, we're all human, we've all got feelings, and we have a tendency to blurt out the first thing that is on our minds, and rightly or wrongly, things can kind of come back and chase you afterwards in a negative way.

"So, with regards to everything that was made in [K.K.'s] statement today, a lot of it, to me, is completely superfluous," he continued. "But the one point that I would like to clarify and have on record is this insinuation that Andy Sneap was covering Glenn's guitar parts on 'Firepower', and I can categorically state that that is a thousand percent false. Because I was with Glenn for all of his guitar work, and he worked really, really hard. Imagine this guy in the tenth year of Parkinson's. I've never seen anybody so brave in the fact that every song was a challenge for him to make it work, but he did — consistently, day after day. It was just a very powerful thing to experience firsthand. And this just goes to show you about the amazing stories that surround invididuals around the world that are dealing with Parkinson's in their life.

"So, thank you for that opportunity, Kenny," Halford told "The Freaks" co-host Kenny Sargent. "I just wanted to touch on that one issue, because out of everything that was laid out in that statement, that one hit me personally. And so now I've been able to clarify that and make sure that everybody out in the world listening to the show, on the Internet and elsewhere, understands that everything that you hear from Glenn on 'Firepower' is the amazing Glenn Tipton. Oh yeah!"

KK didn't specifically say that Andy will be playing solos and try and pass them off as Glen, but I guess he was insinuating something like that.  No one would beleive it anyway and Priest would never do that, plus Glen's playing is so distinctive you couldn't fool anyone.

I hope this doesn't turn into a slugfest between KK and the band.  We don't want this.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #909 on: February 28, 2018, 04:58:22 AM »
Learnt recently about Glen's Parkinson, what a sad situation for him to deal with. All the power to him in his struggle!

Now regarding KK. You just know that, this feud between him and his former bandmates will quickly spiral out of control. He should have just kept his mouth shut. I thought that he would be smarter..