Author Topic: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024  (Read 219735 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: THE Judas Priest thread - new album and tour in 2018!!
« Reply #840 on: February 12, 2018, 11:44:41 AM »
What gave your friends that idea, if you don't mind me asking (I did not see that tour).

Offline Mladen

« Reply #841 on: February 12, 2018, 01:44:15 PM »
Something about his stiffness and lack of movement, it really did look like was cramped in both his walking on stage and playing. A friend of mine just went "he looks like a Parkinsonian" or whatever you'd call a person with Parkinsons. I also remember that coming off as a joke. So I'm almost as shocked as the rest of you.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #842 on: February 12, 2018, 02:37:01 PM »
Yeah, you could tell something was up with him but as you guys said, just thought it might have been ageing. 
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #843 on: February 12, 2018, 06:08:24 PM »
I guess I'll be the bad guy here, but I'm really glad I haven't purchased tickets yet. I wasn't really keen to see Priest this time around before now as it was just too depressing. Now it's far more so.

I'm very sorry to hear about Glenn and I hope he does well (Parkinsons sucks ass). Hopefully he's a golfer so he can hang out with KKD and enjoy life outside of music.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #844 on: February 12, 2018, 06:10:04 PM »
I was considering seeing them next month. It's a Friday night so that works out great. But I just saw Saxon a few months ago, and without Tipton (and Downing), there's really not much point.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #845 on: February 12, 2018, 06:21:37 PM »
Down here tickets are an even bill. I was already having a hard time justifying that essentially just to see Saxon. Now it's money to see Saxon and then have my childhood memories torn asunder.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #846 on: February 12, 2018, 06:34:51 PM »
I guess I'll be the bad guy here, but I'm really glad I haven't purchased tickets yet. I wasn't really keen to see Priest this time around before now as it was just too depressing. Now it's far more so.

I'm very sorry to hear about Glenn and I hope he does well (Parkinsons sucks ass). Hopefully he's a golfer so he can hang out with KKD and enjoy life outside of music.

I wouldn't see them either without Glen to be honest.

Offline Groot

« Reply #847 on: February 13, 2018, 04:57:14 AM »
 :sad:
I am Groot.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #848 on: February 13, 2018, 05:05:54 PM »
He's not ruling out doing a couple songs with them. Probably some of the simpler songs like Desert Plains or Breaking the Law.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #849 on: February 13, 2018, 09:10:00 PM »
He's not ruling out doing a couple songs with them. Probably some of the simpler songs like Desert Plains or Breaking the Law.

Halford's comments;

There's been a lot of emotion today with the announcement, but we're very happy for Glenn, that he's been able to make a decision that's good for him and where he's at right now," Halford said. "Glenn's thing was that this was all about the band. It was the band, the band the band. And we said, 'No, it's about what's best for you,' and he said, 'No, I want what's best for the band.' Which just goes to show you where his heart is at."

"The most important thing is that Glenn is still in JUDAS PRIEST," Rob told Kerrang! "It's just that his role is going to be different. He can't tour, but it's going to be great for fans when he comes out every now and then to do 'Breaking The Law' or 'Living After Midnight'. The love that we've had already has been amazing, and I know when he walks onstage whenever we do that, it's going to be something special."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #850 on: February 14, 2018, 01:31:27 AM »
I understand the guy not wanting to be personally and solely responsible for Judas Priest to call its quits. Still, no Tipton and no Downing... it's gonna turn Priest into another AC/DC, you go for the brand name and there's one important guy and some other dudes. Not the same at all.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #851 on: February 14, 2018, 04:12:04 AM »
Let them go on I say, but yeah it's really not going to feel like Priest without Tipton and I've even felt that way since KK left.  Priest has always been KK, Glenn and Rob as the main spectacle, Hill and Travis have always been more like the backup band.  Yes Hill has been there since the start too, but let's face it, he's no Steve Harris.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #852 on: February 14, 2018, 07:50:27 AM »
I always got the vibe that Ian Hill enjoys just being in the background and has no problem at all having Rob, Glenn and KK be in the spotlight.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #853 on: February 14, 2018, 02:13:05 PM »
I always got the vibe that Ian Hill enjoys just being in the background and has no problem at all having Rob, Glenn and KK be in the spotlight.

I do believe this too.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #854 on: February 14, 2018, 02:42:11 PM »
I'll never get to see the classic lineup. I've seen Priest once and that was on the Demolition tour. The classic band with Ripper fronting. Don't get me wrong, it was an amazing show. I really like the Demolition album, which I only got a few years ago. I was actually at that show more for Anthrax who were opening. I was a distant casual fan of Priest at the time and wasn't sure I was even going to stick around. I did, and it was great.

I've only seen Halford once and that was when he opened for Maiden on the Brave New World tour. Again, a stellar show. The band was fantastic and they played some Priest and Fight tracks.

I always meant to rectify the situation and get out to see Halford fronting them but it just never worked out.

I am also conflicted about no KK and Glenn. I think about would I really want to see Maiden if Adrian and Dave weren't there. It's an easy answer, no.

I've also learned to never say never. Boy, I rambled on here. Anyway, hopefully Glenn doesn't suffer too badly. That's not a fun thing to be fighting.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #855 on: February 14, 2018, 02:50:21 PM »
The classic band with Ripper fronting.

I don't believe Ripper ever played in a version of Priest with Dave Holland  (or if el Barto is reading this, "Les Binks"). 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #856 on: February 14, 2018, 02:55:15 PM »
I'll never get to see the classic lineup. I've seen Priest once and that was on the Demolition tour.

This is the only time I saw Priest too.  It was my first concert at 17, it was incredible.  At the end of the show Glenn locked devil horns with me as I was up on a balcony in the under age section and we were looking at each other eye to eye and he stared at me for at least 10 seconds, I'll never forget it, one of the coolest moments ever and loved the man ever since greatly.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #857 on: February 14, 2018, 03:00:56 PM »
I'll never get to see the classic lineup. I've seen Priest once and that was on the Demolition tour. The classic band with Ripper fronting. Don't get me wrong, it was an amazing show. I really like the Demolition album, which I only got a few years ago. I was actually at that show more for Anthrax who were opening. I was a distant casual fan of Priest at the time and wasn't sure I was even going to stick around. I did, and it was great.

I've only seen Halford once and that was when he opened for Maiden on the Brave New World tour. Again, a stellar show. The band was fantastic and they played some Priest and Fight tracks.

I always meant to rectify the situation and get out to see Halford fronting them but it just never worked out.

I am also conflicted about no KK and Glenn. I think about would I really want to see Maiden if Adrian and Dave weren't there. It's an easy answer, no.

I've also learned to never say never. Boy, I rambled on here. Anyway, hopefully Glenn doesn't suffer too badly. That's not a fun thing to be fighting.
Pretty sure he played Tyrant on that tour. That right there would make it worth the price of admission. And I think there was a third band (or a second with Rob being third) when they played here. Possibly QR.
E.F. Benson

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #858 on: February 14, 2018, 03:01:43 PM »
I've seen many incarnations of the band.

Once the Ripper lineup (2001)
Twice the "classic" / Painkiller lineup (Angel of Retribution and Nostradamus tours)
Twice the no-KK lineup (Epitaph and Redeemer of Souls tours)

Damn, did I see Priest "only" five times? it seemed more.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #859 on: February 14, 2018, 03:06:39 PM »
I saw the Turbo tour, and three times on the Painkiller tour.
I did see Fight in 1993.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #860 on: February 14, 2018, 03:11:29 PM »

Pretty sure he played Tyrant on that tour. That right there would make it worth the price of admission. And I think there was a third band (or a second with Rob being third) when they played here. Possibly QR.

You are correct. That tour was Halford / QR / Maiden. That's some fairly decent opening acts there.

As for Stadler, I had a feeling somebody might take a drummer shot at me. I kind of left that out of my thought process. I was more focused on KK, Glenn and Ian.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #861 on: February 14, 2018, 03:46:49 PM »
Just busting balls.  I kinda knew what you meant (and don't really disagree; it's not like Scott sucks or anything).  I do think I'm one of the few that actually LIKES Dave Holland's drumming; I love that one fill he uses in everything (the one right before the chorus in "Heading Out To The Highway"; I think it's right after the solo.   It's just a basic tom roll, but I love that sound.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #862 on: February 14, 2018, 04:24:44 PM »
Just busting balls.  I kinda knew what you meant (and don't really disagree; it's not like Scott sucks or anything).  I do think I'm one of the few that actually LIKES Dave Holland's drumming; I love that one fill he uses in everything (the one right before the chorus in "Heading Out To The Highway"; I think it's right after the solo.   It's just a basic tom roll, but I love that sound.

I figured. I was actually going to say that they were a little like Spinal Tap in that regard.

I fall into the Les Binks camp in terms of the old era. Simon Phillips is no slouch either in terms of talent. I also love Scott. Big fan of his drum sound on the first Fight album and his work with Racer X. Oh yeah, and his work with Priest.

Offline robbob

« Reply #863 on: February 14, 2018, 06:51:20 PM »
This is really sad news about Glenn. But, I have no desire to see them without KK and now Glenn too. I understand why Glenn and the band want to keep things going, but it's obviously not the same.  Not that i'm bragging here, but i'm happy I seen them 3 times during the 80's and once on the Angel of Retribution tour.

Offline Groot

« Reply #864 on: February 19, 2018, 03:49:54 PM »
For the last weeks I have been in a Priest fever. Hearing their entire discography and discovering amazing stuff. When I started out, Defenders Of Faith was the recent release and outside of the MTV hits I didn't care enough to check their older material. I always thought Priest is the definition of pure Heavy Metal, much more than Iron Maiden, but I wasn't really a big fan. There were bands I was more into at that time like Dio, Queensryche, Ratt, Mötley, Dokken, Def Leppard, Europe, Bon Jovi (try to explain it to a young fellow, that Bon Jovi were cool in their time) and the likes.

I have to concede, I missed out big time. Albums like Sad Wings Of Destiny and Screaming For Vengeance feature amazing gems.

Last week I gave in and played the title track from the upcoming album...Yes !!! :metal
What already can be said, is that we'll finally getting a good sounding Priest album again.

Everything after Painkiller was muddy, over or even, in the case of Reedemer, under produced. That album was a nightmare come true.
As far as i'm concerned, they have only released a bad souding demo. Never the real thing.
The tragedy is, there is a good album hidden behind the horror that dares to call itself a studio guitar sound of a heavy metal legend.
Give the album a Vapour Trails like treatment, replace the worst songs with some
of the deluxe edition ones and maybe the album shows it's real face.
Yeah, ok, Angel Of Retribution doesn't sound bad, but it's far from a memorable album anyway. Especially the guitar sound from Jugulator, Demolition and Nostradamus are bad, but Reedemer has the worst.

Can't wait for the new album. I see a good chance of Firepower becoming the best Priest album since Painkiller. I will be crucified for it, but I think Painkiller is overrated. Sure, it's heavyness was what Priest needed after Turbo and Ram It Down (both underrated), but aside from the title track and maybe Touch Of Evil the album isn't that glorious. Undeniable a strong album, but not the manifestation of metal, at least not in my ears. My body is ready.
I am Groot.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #865 on: February 19, 2018, 03:57:28 PM »
Welcome mate!

Agree what you say about ROS, the production on that is just inexcusable.  A lot of the songs are good but I can't listen to it.

Can't agree about your thoughts on Painkiller though!  ;D

Offline Groot

« Reply #866 on: February 19, 2018, 04:06:52 PM »
Welcome mate!

Thanks.

About ROS: reducing the bass big time and turning up the volume instead, helped me a little to be able to sit it through and hear its potential.
I am Groot.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #867 on: February 19, 2018, 04:22:40 PM »
For the last weeks I have been in a Priest fever. Hearing their entire discography and discovering amazing stuff. When I started out, Defenders Of Faith was the recent release and outside of the MTV hits I didn't care enough to check their older material. I always thought Priest is the definition of pure Heavy Metal, much more than Iron Maiden, but I wasn't really a big fan. There were bands I was more into at that time like Dio, Queensryche, Ratt, Mötley, Dokken, Def Leppard, Europe, Bon Jovi (try to explain it to a young fellow, that Bon Jovi were cool in their time) and the likes.

I have to concede, I missed out big time. Albums like Sad Wings Of Destiny and Screaming For Vengeance feature amazing gems.

Last week I gave in and played the title track from the upcoming album...Yes !!! :metal
What already can be said, is that we'll finally getting a good sounding Priest album again.

Everything after Painkiller was muddy, over or even, in the case of Reedemer, under produced. That album was a nightmare come true.
As far as i'm concerned, they have only released a bad souding demo. Never the real thing.
The tragedy is, there is a good album hidden behind the horror that dares to call itself a studio guitar sound of a heavy metal legend.
Give the album a Vapour Trails like treatment, replace the worst songs with some
of the deluxe edition ones and maybe the album shows it's real face.
Yeah, ok, Angel Of Retribution doesn't sound bad, but it's far from a memorable album anyway. Especially the guitar sound from Jugulator, Demolition and Nostradamus are bad, but Reedemer has the worst.

Can't wait for the new album. I see a good chance of Firepower becoming the best Priest album since Painkiller. I will be crucified for it, but I think Painkiller is overrated. Sure, it's heavyness was what Priest needed after Turbo and Ram It Down (both underrated), but aside from the title track and maybe Touch Of Evil the album isn't that glorious. Undeniable a strong album, but not the manifestation of metal, at least not in my ears. My body is ready.

I'm actually with you on the Painkiller review.   I don't quite get why that album is so highly regarded.  It's the "Lick It Up" of the Priest catalogue (i.e. better because of what came before, than because of what it is).

Offline Groot

« Reply #868 on: February 19, 2018, 04:39:52 PM »
Exactly. It's actually an art form to create a classic with only 2 or 3 great songs. Ask Reign In Blood.
I am Groot.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #869 on: February 20, 2018, 01:06:16 AM »
I think Painkiller is the best Priest album and when I was discovering the band I was baffled about how the album was the exception rather than the rule. Counter fight me  :biggrin:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #870 on: February 20, 2018, 03:59:17 AM »
I don't know, but I think every song on Painkiller is a masterpiece.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #871 on: February 20, 2018, 04:09:26 AM »
This prompted me to try to rank the Priest albums.

FAVORITE ALBUMS:
Sad Wings of Destiny
Sin After Sin
British Steel
Screaming for Vengeance
Defenders of the Faith
Painkiller

Angel of Retribution
Nostradamus

[Albums I don't really love, but they have just enough great songs to say "this ain't too bad"]
Stained Class
Killing Machine
Ram It Down
Jugulator
Redeemer of Souls

[Albums I don't really dig]
Rocka Rolla
Point of Entry
Turbo
Demolition

....yeah, I'm not really that big on Stained Class. It's Priest's Somewhere in Time for me (Iron Maiden album) - every one seems crazy about it, but I personally don't like it that much, even though I recognize it's good stuff and I would never be surprised or amazed at someone loving it.

Offline Groot

« Reply #872 on: February 20, 2018, 05:35:40 AM »
I think Painkiller is the best Priest album and when I was discovering the band I was baffled about how the album was the exception rather than the rule. Counter fight me  :biggrin:

I can try.
The more dynamic, simple and groovy a Priest song is, the more I like it. That's were the band is playing it to their strenght the most. That's why You Got Another Thing Coming is one of my favorite Priest songs. Painkiller isn't exactly a benchmark for dynamic playing.
I am Groot.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #873 on: February 20, 2018, 06:35:38 AM »
This prompted me to try to rank the Priest albums.

FAVORITE ALBUMS:
Sad Wings of Destiny
Sin After Sin
British Steel
Screaming for Vengeance
Defenders of the Faith
Painkiller

Angel of Retribution
Nostradamus

[Albums I don't really love, but they have just enough great songs to say "this ain't too bad"]
Stained Class
Killing Machine
Ram It Down
Jugulator
Redeemer of Souls

[Albums I don't really dig]
Rocka Rolla
Point of Entry
Turbo
Demolition

No argument, just contrast (and bearing in mind, I've been contemplating a Priest Discography and reserve the right to revisit these):

BLEW UP THE DEATH STAR
Screaming for Vengeance
Defenders of the Faith
Stained Class
Rocka Rolla
Point of Entry

ALMOST THERE... ALMOST THERE
Sad Wings of Destiny
Sin After Sin
Killing Machine
British Steel

IMPACTED ON THE SURFACE
Turbo
Angel of Retribution
Nostradamus
Redeemer of Souls

SENT SPIRALING OUT TO SPACE
Ram It Down
Painkiller

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #874 on: February 20, 2018, 07:06:03 AM »

I can try.
The more dynamic, simple and groovy a Priest song is, the more I like it. That's were the band is playing it to their strenght the most. That's why You Got Another Thing Coming is one of my favorite Priest songs. Painkiller isn't exactly a benchmark for dynamic playing.

Painkiller however is a benchmark for a certain kind of metal music and it's one of the most copied songs ever  :D but I see your point, Priest has some memorable "easier" tunes as well and for example I'll be forever happy of having heard Rock Hard, Ride Free live.