Author Topic: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024  (Read 219798 times)

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
Re: THE Judas Priest thread
« Reply #280 on: October 14, 2013, 06:23:27 AM »
I mean that during the production of the BluRay, his annoying fills were mixed at low volume. I conclude that the band is aware that it went out of hand and doesn't want it anymore.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #281 on: October 14, 2013, 08:41:40 AM »
I heard that the writing is complete for the new album.  Hopefully this means they will be entering the studio fairly soon.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #282 on: October 14, 2013, 12:06:43 PM »
Defenders is still my all time favorite Priest album.   That was my first JP album (I had heard their hits on the radio previously...but Freewheel Burning was what made me go out and actually buy an album).     Still don't get the love for SFV.   No doubt it has some amazing songs.   H/EE is still one of the single greatest opening tracks in the history of metal, Bloodstone is awesome, and even though I've heard it a million times I still love YGATC.     But I give a gigantic "meh" to tracks like Fever, Devil's Child, and Pain and Pleasure.    Take These Chains is pretty good for a single...but gets very old, very fast.

i pretty much agree with everything you wrote here, but what is this "Hell Bent" that you speak of in the next post? It's Killing Machine goddamn it!!!  :biggrin:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #283 on: October 14, 2013, 03:03:02 PM »
I mean that during the production of the BluRay, his annoying fills were mixed at low volume. I conclude that the band is aware that it went out of hand and doesn't want it anymore.

Oh, I thought you read an interview or something.  On the DVD, his fills are loud and clear, very annoying.

Defenders is still my all time favorite Priest album.   That was my first JP album (I had heard their hits on the radio previously...but Freewheel Burning was what made me go out and actually buy an album).     Still don't get the love for SFV.   No doubt it has some amazing songs.   H/EE is still one of the single greatest opening tracks in the history of metal, Bloodstone is awesome, and even though I've heard it a million times I still love YGATC.     But I give a gigantic "meh" to tracks like Fever, Devil's Child, and Pain and Pleasure.    Take These Chains is pretty good for a single...but gets very old, very fast.

i pretty much agree with everything you wrote here, but what is this "Hell Bent" that you speak of in the next post? It's Killing Machine goddamn it!!!  :biggrin:

It's always Hell Bent to me.  :tup
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #284 on: January 28, 2014, 05:41:44 PM »
Been rocking out to Painkiller a lot recently. The only subpar track is Metal Meltdown, and even that one has some cool stuff.

I should get ahold of some of their other albums.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #285 on: January 28, 2014, 05:48:35 PM »
I don't consider there to be any weak songs on Painkiller.  Even the bonus track Living Bad Dreams is good enough to have been on the album.

Nothing really comes close to Painkiller in that style for Priest.  If you want to check more, you're next best bet would be Defenders.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #286 on: January 28, 2014, 05:49:42 PM »
I'll check out soon! And yeah, Living Bad Dreams is :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #287 on: January 28, 2014, 05:58:38 PM »
From there, it's pretty much a mixed bag.  Jugulator has more of a modern heavy metal thing going on, which you may like.  Other than that, Screaming For Vengeace would be another highlight.  Stained Class is classic too. 

Oh, and Angel of Retribution is a worthy addition to their catalog too, I really enjoyed that one.  Actually, here's a rough order that I would give to a new fan to check out;

Painkiller
Defenders of the Faith
Screaming for Vengeance
Stained Class
Jugulator
Angel of Retribution
Sin After Sin
Sad Wings of Destiny
British Steel
Hell Bent For Leather/Killing Machine
Ram it Down
Turbo
Point of Entry
Rocka Rolla
Demolition
Nostradamus

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #288 on: January 28, 2014, 06:00:30 PM »
Whoa, thanks bro! :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #289 on: January 28, 2014, 06:03:14 PM »
Others will disagree with a lot of my list, but you can't miss with the first few.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #290 on: January 28, 2014, 07:40:22 PM »
It's been pretty quiet in the Priest camp about the new album. I'm hoping for this year.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #291 on: January 28, 2014, 07:44:07 PM »
Can Rob even sing anymore? I saw a few recent videos that were pretty brutal, to be honest. (brutal as in bad, not like :metal brutal)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: January 29, 2014, 03:51:40 AM »
It's been pretty quiet in the Priest camp about the new album. I'm hoping for this year.

To be honest, with Richie in the band, I don't want a new album.  Unless Glenn does all the guitars.  I know that's narrow minded of me, but I can't help it.

Can Rob even sing anymore? I saw a few recent videos that were pretty brutal, to be honest. (brutal as in bad, not like :metal brutal)

The last DVD wasn't too bad, he does what he can.  His last studio recording (IV) he sounded pretty good, but that was a few years ago now.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #293 on: January 29, 2014, 12:03:19 PM »
Others will disagree with a lot of my list, but you can't miss with the first few.

It's about right. I'd move Sad Wings up a few notches, and the Top 3 are the same as mine, albeit in a different order.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #294 on: January 29, 2014, 12:33:05 PM »
heh, I never really gave Painkiller much attention after a couple of spins.  Weird how it ranks so high with a lot of people.

I'm a pretty serious JP fan, but I don't own all of their albums, but the ones I do own, I'd rank this way:

Sad Wings of Destiny

Stained Class
Screaming for Vengeance

Sin After Sin
British Steel
Rocka Rolla
Point of Entry
Painkiller

Angel of Retribution

Albums I don't have:

Defenders of the Faith
Jugulator
Ram it Down
Turbo
Demolition
Nostradamus

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #295 on: January 29, 2014, 12:36:25 PM »
I don't quite get the love for Painkiller (the song).  I mean, it's good if you are into that kind of crazy speed metal, but otherwise, pass.  A Touch of Evil and Night Crawler are the clear standouts on that record, IMO, with One Shot at Glory, Metal Meltdown, and Hell Patrol being the best of the rest.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #296 on: January 29, 2014, 01:20:41 PM »
Painkiller is one of my favorite songs, but it's not because I'm enamoured with speed metal, it's just a really great song.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #297 on: January 29, 2014, 04:32:13 PM »
I'd rank the albums I own as follows...

Unleashed In The East

Defenders of the Faith
Screaming for Vengeance
Turbo
Killing Machine
British Steel
Point of Entry
Painkiller
Ram it Down
Sin After Sin
Stained Class
Sad Wings of Destiny
Angel of Retribution

Demolition (I don't remember a thing about this album other than Ripper is on it and I think I have a version with an extra disk or dvd?)

Some of those older albums would be higher up the list with better production. They lacked power but some great songs struggling to get out.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #298 on: January 29, 2014, 04:42:48 PM »
You should definitely get Jugulator. Sucks that they didn't continue in that direction, that album is fucking badass.

Online ozzy554

« Reply #299 on: January 29, 2014, 06:57:57 PM »

When I saw them he was great, Painkiller was the highlight of the night. I will agree that he sounded rough near the end of the tour, and why they chose to record the last show of the tour i have no idea. The show I attended he sounded a lot better than the one recorded for the dvd.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #300 on: January 29, 2014, 07:54:27 PM »
heh, I never really gave Painkiller much attention after a couple of spins.  Weird how it ranks so high with a lot of people.

I'm a pretty serious JP fan, but I don't own all of their albums, but the ones I do own, I'd rank this way:

Sad Wings of Destiny

Stained Class
Screaming for Vengeance

Sin After Sin
British Steel
Rocka Rolla
Point of Entry
Painkiller

Angel of Retribution
I might swap Stained and Sad Wings back and forth in the top two, depending on my mood or the day of the week, but otherwise this is real close to my ranking, as well. Studio-wise, that is. Unleashed is the best of them all. I'd also drop BS down a few notches. Great opener and closer, lot of shit in between.

And Defenders is a very good album. When it comes to Priest doing the speed metal thing, I'd take Freewheel Burning over anything from Painkiller (although One Shot at Glory is a very good song).

As for Rob live, he's always used a ton of effects on his vocals, and still does. This and judicious use of screams make him sound just fine, usually. It's definitely a far cry from 1981, but it's rarely bothersome for me. The main exception to that was on the "farewell" tour, where he didn't belt out "condemned to hell!" like he usually did. Really a letdown, since that was always a highlight of an Priest show.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline NotePad

« Reply #301 on: January 30, 2014, 12:02:15 AM »
I haven't listened to too much Priest. I'v listened to Painkiller, Jugulator, and i think that it other then the radio hits. I loved Jugulator, and when i went back and heard Painkiller i realized that Jugulator wasn't as big a change as people seem to say.

I'm wondering, how do AoR and Nostradomus compare to Painkiller? Do they have any of the hard, speed metal-ish elements of Painkiller, and Jugulator?

I also want to add that I think Ripper waa a fantastic replacement. He sounds a lot like Halford and has a very similar range. People seem to blame him for Jugulator and Demolition, but the thing is he didn't write them. Jugulator was written entirely by the 2 guitarists, even the lyrics. Jugulator seems like a kinda natural progression from Painkiller, and Demolition could be considered a step back to earlier stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #302 on: January 30, 2014, 03:27:14 AM »
You should definitely get Jugulator. Sucks that they didn't continue in that direction, that album is fucking badass.

My fav Priest album.  How they came back with something heavier than Painkiller was just wicked.

I don't quite get the love for Painkiller (the song).  I mean, it's good if you are into that kind of crazy speed metal, but otherwise, pass.  A Touch of Evil and Night Crawler are the clear standouts on that record, IMO, with One Shot at Glory, Metal Meltdown, and Hell Patrol being the best of the rest.

Painkiller is pretty special.  One Shot At Glory I'd say could possibly be the best track though, that is one underrated metal song.  Rob's and Glenn's little climax at the end is one of the best moments in metal.

Offline me7

« Reply #303 on: January 30, 2014, 07:38:26 AM »
One Shot At Glory I'd say could possibly be the best track though, that is one underrated metal song.  Rob's and Glenn's little climax at the end is one of the best moments in metal.

Indeed, the instrumental section of "One Shot at Glory" is awesome, my favourite part of the album.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #304 on: January 30, 2014, 01:24:40 PM »
I really like Painkiller (and Jugulator). How do the albums before Painkiller compare? I'v heard the commercial hits and I don't find them attractive, they lack the balls of Painkiller. Do the pre-Painkiller albums have any of the heavy, dark, brutal elements of Painkiller? Or are they more like You'v Got Another Thing Comin?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: January 30, 2014, 01:26:04 PM »
I really like Painkiller (and Jugulator). How do the albums before Painkiller compare? I'v heard the commercial hits and I don't find them attractive, they lack the balls of Painkiller. Do the pre-Painkiller albums have any of the heavy, dark, brutal elements of Painkiller? Or are they more like You'v Got Another Thing Comin?

No.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #306 on: January 30, 2014, 01:28:22 PM »

The majority of them are better, especially most of the 70s albums.  Stained Class is probably the one that would be most to your liking.  If nothing else, Exciter will kick your ass. :metal

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #307 on: January 30, 2014, 03:20:01 PM »
Exciter would kick God's ass.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline me7

« Reply #308 on: January 30, 2014, 04:53:37 PM »
From a prog fan perspective, Sad Wings of Destiny is the best starting point. If you want a more straightforward metal record, I'd recommend British Steel.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #309 on: January 31, 2014, 12:03:26 AM »
The bit of pre-Painkiller JP i'v heard sounds more like a hard rock band, instead of a metal band. But i should listen to more...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #310 on: January 31, 2014, 04:14:19 AM »
From a prog fan perspective, Sad Wings of Destiny is the best starting point. If you want a more straightforward metal record, I'd recommend British Steel.

British Steel is so overrated.

Offline me7

« Reply #311 on: January 31, 2014, 06:23:29 AM »

It is, but it's a good starting point nonetheless. Just like "Pull me under" is actually a pretty mediocre song by DT standards but a good way to get into the band.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #312 on: January 31, 2014, 08:16:52 AM »
Like I said earlier, great opener, great closer, nothing but shit in between.
E.F. Benson

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #313 on: January 31, 2014, 08:43:28 AM »

Sad Wings of Destiny

Stained Class
Screaming for Vengeance

Sin After Sin
British Steel
Rocka Rolla
Point of Entry
Painkiller

Angel of Retribution
I might swap Stained and Sad Wings back and forth in the top two, depending on my mood or the day of the week, but otherwise this is real close to my ranking, as well. Studio-wise, that is. Unleashed is the best of them all. I'd also drop BS down a few notches. Great opener and closer, lot of shit in between.

And Defenders is a very good album. When it comes to Priest doing the speed metal thing, I'd take Freewheel Burning over anything from Painkiller (although One Shot at Glory is a very good song).

As for Rob live, he's always used a ton of effects on his vocals, and still does. This and judicious use of screams make him sound just fine, usually. It's definitely a far cry from 1981, but it's rarely bothersome for me. The main exception to that was on the "farewell" tour, where he didn't belt out "condemned to hell!" like he usually did. Really a letdown, since that was always a highlight of an Priest show.

Halford always impressed me as a vocalist.  In his prime he was untouchable.  4 octave natural-voice range, damn near perfect pitch in his live performances.  When I saw them with Iron Maiden opening in the front row of the balcony at Orpheum Theater in Boston (around '81 or '82) they were amazingly tight.  Glenn and K.K. really had some terrific chemistry.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #314 on: January 31, 2014, 09:31:54 AM »
Exciter would kick God's ass.

:metal

The Rage, Steeler, Rapid Fire, Metal Gods, and Grinder are all great.  The two hits are kind of just okay, but United and You Don't Have to Be Old to Be Wise are both solid.  I'll never get why some fans think this album isn't very good.