Author Topic: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024  (Read 219800 times)

Offline emtee

Re: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024
« Reply #2695 on: March 22, 2024, 06:22:10 AM »
At times the guitar tones are menacingly heavy!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2696 on: March 22, 2024, 07:32:25 AM »
Dang, they cranked out yet another good album this late in the game. The Serpent and the king is probably my favorite, Rob sounds absolutely insane on it. Panic attack, Gates of hell and Escape from reality are also amazing. I do prefer Firepower overall, though, the songs on that one that are great are better than this album's highlights.

Updated ranking:

Screaming for vengeance
Point of entry
Painkiller
Sin after sin
Angel of retribution
Defenders of the faith
Brittish steel
Killing machine
Firepower
Sad wings of destiny
Stained class
Invincible shield
Nostradamus
Rocka rolla
Turbo
Redeemer of souls
Jugulator
Ram it down
Demolition

Thank you!!!!  :)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2697 on: March 22, 2024, 08:40:52 AM »
What do you mean? From what I can see, we're not the only ones, people single out that track as a favorite everywhere.  :metal

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2698 on: March 22, 2024, 09:07:10 AM »
What do you mean? From what I can see, we're not the only ones, people single out that track as a favorite everywhere.  :metal

When they released the song as a single, I was like "that song rules!  Love the chorus" and there seemed to be a round of crickets.  Hahaha.   

Offline WardySI

« Reply #2699 on: March 23, 2024, 03:56:59 AM »
I hardly noticed any the pre-release singles but the album has finally clicked and the singles are definite standouts.

I will jump into a few of the previous comments and say I am also a huge Bruce fan and as much as I enjoy Mandrake I expect end of year results will be more down to Priest Saxon and Blaze at this point.

Early days of course but anyway yes after not getting the fuss am now really enjoying Invincible Shield.

Offline emtee

« Reply #2700 on: March 23, 2024, 07:49:21 AM »
Priest is at #1 for me so far and Out Of Darkness is #2.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2701 on: March 25, 2024, 02:40:06 AM »
I found out that Giants in the Sky is about Ronnie James Dio and Lemmy Kilmister.

In retrospect, it makes sense, I didn't mind a self celebratory song but the "you" in the chorus seemed weird. And I thought the "if only you knew how much you mean to me" part was about Priest fans.

It's lovely that Rob thought of Ronnie and Lemmy for what might be the last song ever from Priest (bonus tracks not withstanding). Anyway, my earlier point still stands - the song can alo be retroactively considered about Priest themselves, and if this is the last album, fans listening to the song and thinking about the bands "giants in the sky, you will never die" is a great way to go.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2702 on: March 25, 2024, 06:38:18 AM »
I found out that Giants in the Sky is about Ronnie James Dio and Lemmy Kilmister.

In retrospect, it makes sense, I didn't mind a self celebratory song but the "you" in the chorus seemed weird. And I thought the "if only you knew how much you mean to me" part was about Priest fans.

It's lovely that Rob thought of Ronnie and Lemmy for what might be the last song ever from Priest (bonus tracks not withstanding). Anyway, my earlier point still stands - the song can alo be retroactively considered about Priest themselves, and if this is the last album, fans listening to the song and thinking about the bands "giants in the sky, you will never die" is a great way to go.

That's lovely.  For me, GITS is one of the songs that seems to be getting better each time I hear it.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2703 on: March 25, 2024, 07:05:06 AM »
---nothing to see here, I messed up
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2704 on: March 25, 2024, 10:25:13 AM »
I cant imagine that GITS is only about RJD and Lemmy? and I agree I think that one verse is Rob thanking all the fans for the love that he feels from the fans over the years.

the only song that Im not wild about on IS is Devil is Disguise
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2705 on: March 28, 2024, 07:56:55 AM »
About seven songs into Firepower at this point (just started "Rising From Ruins"), and at first listen...  this isn't at the level of Invincible Shield.  There are times that Rob sounds his age (unlike IS) and I don't like that screechy voice he uses on "Firepower" for example; the first song that really struck me was "Evil Never Dies", and the first song I though "WOW this might actually belong with the classics" is "Never The Heroes".  I will say, it seems more adventurous than IS, but it's not all landing (yet).

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2706 on: March 28, 2024, 08:05:18 AM »
Wait 'til you get to No Surrender, in a different reality that would have been a smash commercial hit  :metal

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2707 on: March 28, 2024, 08:10:44 AM »
Wait 'til you get to No Surrender, in a different reality that would have been a smash commercial hit  :metal

That song could have been in a Rocky training montage or something similar from the 80s.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2708 on: March 28, 2024, 08:11:25 AM »
The Spectre-Traitors Gate-No Surrender trifecta is where it's at.

About seven songs into Firepower at this point ... and at first listen...  this isn't at the level of Invincible Shield. 

It may not be.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2709 on: March 28, 2024, 08:16:37 AM »

I wish that song was about twice as long as it is.  It rocks so damn hard and the chorus is so fun to sing along with.

I'm glad I got to see them play Never the Heroes and the title track live in 2022, but I'd have loved for No Surrender to be in the set.

Offline emtee

« Reply #2710 on: March 28, 2024, 09:18:54 AM »
Firepower took 3 spins to be fully appreciated. Having said that and having just recently listened to both back-to-back, IS is a better album and truly could be among the top 3 all time for me.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2711 on: March 28, 2024, 09:21:44 AM »
Firepower took 3 spins to be fully appreciated. Having said that and having just recently listened to both back-to-back, IS is a better album and truly could be among the top 3 all time for me.

I agree
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2712 on: March 28, 2024, 09:31:06 AM »
About seven songs into Firepower at this point (just started "Rising From Ruins")

Best song Priest has done since Painkiller (the album, not the song), AFAIC.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2713 on: March 28, 2024, 09:48:26 AM »

I may be in the minority on this is but i love FLAMETHROWER     its that fun Judas song that they do from time to to time

Sons of Thunder sorta has a fun vibe to it and scratches that itch on IS for me

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2714 on: March 28, 2024, 09:53:54 AM »
The Spectre-Traitors Gate-No Surrender trifecta is where it's at.

It may not be.

Bro   I love that 3 song run also   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2715 on: March 28, 2024, 10:38:27 AM »
Best song Priest has done since Painkiller (the album, not the song), AFAIC.

Um... that's not saying much (I don't like Painkiller all that much, to be honest). :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2716 on: March 28, 2024, 12:52:50 PM »
Um... that's not saying much (I don't like Painkiller all that much, to be honest). :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

I agree Stad.... Painkiller is not even close to a fav of mine...its towards the bottom

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2717 on: March 28, 2024, 12:57:46 PM »
Since I'm a real compilation geek, I decided that one compilation for 50 years of Priest wasn't enough, and I decided to create two; the original idea was to have 50 songs for 50 years of carrer, maybe with songs from every Rob album, but I realized I would run out of time with that format (I have 90-95 minutes, it's the stuff I listen going and returning from work).

So I just went for two separate compilations, balancing new songs, old songs and the classics (I would get bored to listen to the same old same old stuff, so having two compilations helps to spread apart the Breaking the Laws and the Hell Bents and not cram them all together), I thought it would be a bit overkill - I mean, over 3 hours of material, you're gonna fill it with deep cuts right? well, turns out 3 hours is not enough. I have problems in picking all the songs I'd like to pick, and to properly represent all the albums, I'll have to make some cuts here and there.

There is so much good stuff in 19 albums and 50 years that even 3 hours are not enough for all the songs I'd like to pick  :o

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2718 on: March 28, 2024, 02:19:11 PM »

Fair enough.  I don't like Painkiller quite as much as a lot of folks, but it's got some great songs - One Shot at Glory was the particular song I was thinking of.  Ram It Down has fewer good songs.  How about this?  Rising from Ruins is a top-5 post-Defenders Priest song.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2719 on: March 28, 2024, 02:24:11 PM »

I feel like if Painkiller were released today, you'd feel a lot different about it. It was likely the last thing you'd be into in 1990, and of course, you've had to listen to people fellate it over the lasty 30+ years. I can see how that'd bug you.
I feel ya. Not about Painkiller, but certainly about other albums that I simply don't "get".
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2720 on: March 28, 2024, 04:11:22 PM »
Tomorrow I might attempt to list my 10 favorite reunion era tracks.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2721 on: April 02, 2024, 07:29:30 AM »
In chronological order I guess.

Hellrider
Loch Ness
Nostradamus (title track)
Halls of Valhalla
Lightning Strikes
Rising from Ruins
Traitor's Gate
Panic Attack
As God is My Witness
Sons of Thunder

Offline Trav86

« Reply #2722 on: April 02, 2024, 07:55:44 AM »
In chronological order I guess.

Hellrider
Loch Ness
Nostradamus (title track)
Halls of Valhalla
Lightning Strikes
Rising from Ruins
Traitor's Gate
Panic Attack
As God is My Witness
Sons of Thunder

Loch Ness is a unique choice. Maybe I should revisit that one.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2723 on: April 02, 2024, 07:56:56 AM »
I've always enjoyed Loch Ness, it gets too much hate.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2724 on: April 02, 2024, 09:26:29 AM »
I've never been much of a fan of this band. I never disliked them, just never listened to them much or bought their albums. I was in Wal-Mart the other day and saw one copy of their new album Invincible Shield and decided what the heck, and bought it.
I will have to say that was a great decision! This album sounds amazing and every song is good. Some of the tastiest guitar work I've heard from this band and Halford sounds great. I read in the credits that it was mixed by Andy Sneap. Awesome production!  :metal
I really hope he mixes the next DT album..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2725 on: April 02, 2024, 01:47:27 PM »
I've always enjoyed Loch Ness, it gets too much hate.

Incredible Tipton solo.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2726 on: April 02, 2024, 02:52:13 PM »
I love it because it’s different. JP doing a slow doomy sabbathy track? Yes please. Would actually love it if DT mixed it up and tried a track like that.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2727 on: April 02, 2024, 02:57:11 PM »
I love it because it’s different. JP doing a slow doomy sabbathy track? Yes please. Would actually love it if DT mixed it up and tried a track like that.

Room 137?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2728 on: April 02, 2024, 03:31:00 PM »
Room 137?

That might be the worst MM-era song.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2729 on: April 02, 2024, 03:31:36 PM »
Nah...Out Of Reach is pretty bad.