Author Topic: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024  (Read 219512 times)

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
Re: THE Judas Priest thread
« Reply #210 on: August 27, 2011, 10:26:59 PM »
Judas Rising has the best Metal intro ever  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #211 on: August 28, 2011, 05:43:48 PM »
Picked up the single cd collection of Single Cuts on the weekend for $10.  Not a bad little compliation of the hits.  The edits of Touch of Evil and Nightcrawler are horrid, but the edit of Turbo Lover is excellent.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: August 28, 2011, 10:19:28 PM »
I was thinking about buying the single cd, but decided to wait and buy the entire single cuts box set that comes out in October.  Now that looks super cool.  Don't think it contains any post Painkiller material though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #213 on: August 28, 2011, 11:18:02 PM »
I was thinking about buying the single cd, but decided to wait and buy the entire single cuts box set that comes out in October.  Now that looks super cool.  Don't think it contains any post Painkiller material though.

No, it doesn't.  I was looking into that box last night, and I just don't know if it's worth it.  There isn't anything new that's really worth it IMO.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #214 on: August 29, 2011, 03:25:53 AM »
Judas Rising has the best Metal intro ever  :metal
One of my favourite headbanging moments is "Judas is risssiinnggg!!!" :metal

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #215 on: October 17, 2011, 12:14:21 AM »
To paraphrase out own Hef Daddy,  whoever wrote the review calling them tired and uninspired is a stupid fucking bitch.  Those guys were absolutely on fire tonight.  Almost certainly the best show I've seen from them going back 26 years.  The new guy is far more entertaining than KK Downing was,  and he seems to have inspired the other guys quite a bit.  Rob sang everything quite well,  with one unfortunate exception.*  I definitely encourage people to go see this show.  Even if it weren't the last opportunity,  it's an onslaught to behold.

*There wasn't one proper Condemned to Hell during The Sentinel.  That seemed to be the trade-off for being able to sing everything in the second half,  and a reasonable trade-off IMO.  I've seen him belt out The Sentinel countless times,  but I've never heard him scream Blood Red Skies before.

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #216 on: October 17, 2011, 12:35:46 AM »
Awesome! I can't wait till they come to Aus :D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: October 17, 2011, 04:25:46 AM »
Awesome! I can't wait till they come to Aus :D

Yeah, I might go and see them if they come out again. I missed them last time but I saw them in 2001 with Ripper and it was fucking amazing!!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #218 on: October 17, 2011, 09:06:34 AM »
I've seen these guys in concert quite a few times and it was always pretty entertaining, but admittedly I haven't seen them live in well over a decade.

I've been listening to them a bit lately, mostly their classic stuff

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #219 on: October 17, 2011, 11:56:31 AM »
I've seen these guys in concert quite a few times and it was always pretty entertaining, but admittedly I haven't seen them live in well over a decade.

Well,  since this will be the very last opportunity,  I'd suggest you catch this tour. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #220 on: October 17, 2011, 12:55:32 PM »

Well,  since this will be the very last opportunity,  I'd suggest you catch this tour.

I'm not sure that's true.  I just read last month in Rolling Stone that Rob Halford said this is the "last BIG tour" they're going to do, and that they haven't ruled out continuing on and doing more albums  and smaller tours in the future.

In any case, I've seen them quite a few times, so it's not like I'd be missing out on something I've never seen before.

NP:  "Victim of Changes" from _Unleashed In The East_

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: January 18, 2012, 03:50:20 AM »
https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=168392

What a joke, the complete albums collection without Jugulator and Demolition.  :tdwn :tdwn :tdwn

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: January 18, 2012, 03:52:22 AM »
Hmm interesting, but I can see why they would do that. Halford wasn't on those albums, and they want to release all the stuff with the classic lineup.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: January 18, 2012, 04:15:22 AM »
Yes, but it's called "The Complete Albums Collection" which is totally false.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: January 18, 2012, 04:54:26 AM »
Yeah, they could have chosen another title.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: January 18, 2012, 11:48:59 AM »
I ordered it.  I agree that it is horseshit to ignore Ripper, and besides the four tracks on Metalogy, his era has been completely forgotten/ignored.  Halford has said that he was willing to sing songs from that era before, but it's never happended and seemingly never will.  But back to the set, I got it because it still looks cool and was a very reasonable price.  RR and SWOD are supposedly remastered and POE has the European cover- so that is what interested me.  Not sure if it's the original's or 2001 remasters though.  Regardless, I'm a sucker for these things lol.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #226 on: January 18, 2012, 07:30:11 PM »
Goddamnit, I just got done buying half of those albums.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #227 on: January 19, 2012, 09:09:29 AM »
Picked up the Live Vengeance DVD from a used CD/DVD store the other day for extremely cheap.  I wasn't even aware it was around until a while back, and I had been meaning to get it, so when I saw it for almost nothing, it was a no-brainer purchase.  Looks pretty great so far (I watched about half of it Tuesday night).  I love now having a live video of them from their prime, when Halford's voice was top notch. :tup :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: January 19, 2012, 02:26:46 PM »
What annoyed me about that DVD is that when the Metalogy box came out, that DVD was included and wasn't prevously available.  They said the DVD would never be reprinted and you could only find it in the box set.  Nevertheless, after everyone brought the box, they released it and now you can buy it super cheap.  :\

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: January 19, 2012, 09:01:31 PM »
I think Live Vengeance is the ultimate live Halford era Priest show.  I always wanted this show to be released on cd.  All members, especially Halford, is right on the money.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #230 on: January 20, 2012, 01:03:39 AM »
https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=168392

What a joke, the complete albums collection without Jugulator and Demolition.  :tdwn :tdwn :tdwn
I don't understand the Jugulator hate. I think it's amazing, aggressive, kick-ass, and Ripper does a great vocal work in that album. Come on! Give those albums a chance! :tdwn

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: January 20, 2012, 02:48:57 AM »

I don't understand the Jugulator hate. I think it's amazing, aggressive, kick-ass, and Ripper does a great vocal work in that album. Come on! Give those albums a chance! :tdwn

Jugulator is my fav Priest album, I don't understand why the band completely disregard it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: June 02, 2013, 03:16:55 AM »
Anyone get the Epitath DVD?

It's pretty good, but I really can't stand Richie.  He is cocky, arragont and constantly tries to steal the show.  He can never just play the song, he adds an uneccesary fill every 2 bars.  Granted his solos are pretty good, but he it over the top and the fills just drive me crazy.  I miss KK.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #233 on: June 02, 2013, 03:35:27 AM »

Jugulator is my fav Priest album, I don't understand why the band completely disregard it.
Halford fanboys are upset that it features a guy who still has a voice and can sing his parts. Jugulator and Painkiller are my favourite Priest albums by far.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: June 02, 2013, 05:50:39 AM »
Anyone get the Epitath DVD?

It's pretty good, but I really can't stand Richie.  He is cocky, arragont and constantly tries to steal the show.  He can never just play the song, he adds an uneccesary fill every 2 bars.  Granted his solos are pretty good, but he it over the top and the fills just drive me crazy.  I miss KK.

I actually haven't watched any footage of Ritchie yet. Probably wont get this release, just want some new material from the band. Maybe KK will join them for their final farewell final show

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #235 on: June 02, 2013, 11:44:49 AM »
I got the DVD, it's good but the band is obviously tired. It's worth it just for the awesome setlist though (Blood Red Skies!). I don't have a problem with Ritchie, he's obviously having a good time playing with Priest and I didn't feel like he was stealing the show at all.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #236 on: June 02, 2013, 11:55:56 AM »
What is it about the current generation of metal heads embracing the worst albums a band ever did as their best?

Jugulator is awful. Moronic lyrics that sound like they were written by a first grader, music that's in some weird halfway home between trad metal and thrash metal and doing neither well, some of the worst solos either Tipton or Downing ever put to record-the only highlight is Ripper, and the only song worth mentioning is Cathedral Spires. And since the Halford/Tipton/Downing writing triad wasn't in full time place until the early 80s albums, I know that Tipton and Downing didn't need Halford to write better songs than the utter dreck on Jugulator, so I can only conclude that they wanted to make an album of pseudo-tough guy wanna be thrash metal. The only virtue Jugulator has is that it ISN'T Demolition.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #237 on: June 02, 2013, 12:08:19 PM »
I don't know, I got more enjoyment from Demolition, but neither are very good. In fact, Jugulator is completely forgettable.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #238 on: June 02, 2013, 12:17:36 PM »
I got the DVD, it's good but the band is obviously tired. It's worth it just for the awesome setlist though (Blood Red Skies!). I don't have a problem with Ritchie, he's obviously having a good time playing with Priest and I didn't feel like he was stealing the show at all.
^ this, he was pretty awesome when I saw Priest on the Epitaph tour.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #239 on: June 02, 2013, 01:04:59 PM »
I like about half of Jugulator, all those songs sound much better on the '98 Live Meltdown disc though. Demolition is absolutely fucking horrible.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #240 on: June 02, 2013, 01:12:26 PM »
I don't know, I got more enjoyment from Demolition, but neither are very good. In fact, Jugulator is completely forgettable.

I've never heard Jugulator but do have Demolition. I can't remember a single thing about it. I'm no Ripper fan, so don't feel a burning need to check 'em out either.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #241 on: June 02, 2013, 01:17:19 PM »

I've never heard Jugulator but do have Demolition. I can't remember a single thing about it. I'm no Ripper fan, so don't feel a burning need to check 'em out either.

I mostly only remember the goofy lyrics.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #242 on: June 02, 2013, 02:56:50 PM »
I like about half of Jugulator, all those songs sound much better on the '98 Live Meltdown disc though. Demolition is absolutely fucking horrible.

You took the words right out of my mouth.   I really thought JP had a chance with Ripper after Jugalator...which IMO is a very under-rated album.   (you're going to accuse Jugulator of immature lyrics??  I could go down a *LONG* list of Halford tunes (good ones) with lyrics every bit as laughable).   And the feedback Ripper was getting in a live setting was nothing but thumbs up across the board.   (I didn't read a single bad review...and most people were writing "Rob Who?")  And the '98 Metal Meltdown live album is a fantastic capture of Ripper at the top of his game fronting Priest.    I had VERY high hopes moving forward.

But, just like Iron Maiden, it seemed that the rest of the band was almost out to sabotage the new guy.   Demolition is VXI's equal.   A terrible and completely forgettable album.   I guess it would make an easy way to just say, "Sorry it didn't work out...thank you, drive through..." 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: June 03, 2013, 06:07:43 AM »
What is it about the current generation of metal heads embracing the worst albums a band ever did as their best?

Jugulator is awful. Moronic lyrics that sound like they were written by a first grader, music that's in some weird halfway home between trad metal and thrash metal and doing neither well, some of the worst solos either Tipton or Downing ever put to record-the only highlight is Ripper, and the only song worth mentioning is Cathedral Spires. And since the Halford/Tipton/Downing writing triad wasn't in full time place until the early 80s albums, I know that Tipton and Downing didn't need Halford to write better songs than the utter dreck on Jugulator, so I can only conclude that they wanted to make an album of pseudo-tough guy wanna be thrash metal. The only virtue Jugulator has is that it ISN'T Demolition.

I've been a Priest fan for about 16 years now, so even if that still makes me the newer generation, Jugulator is still my fav cd from them.  They did something really different and IMO it worked perfectly.  They came back more aggresive and heavier than ever.  Just seeing a band like Priest come back and use tunings in C or even B from a whole career of standard tuning, just itches me right.  I still think people need to not box bands in and be open minded to new things they come out with.

And you want moronic lyrics;

Thousands of cars and a million guitars
Screaming with power in the air
Wešve found the place where the decibels race
This army of rock will be there
To ram it down, ram it down

or

Move a little nearer, you know you got to follow your leaders,
'Cause we need you, like you need us for sure.
We're gonna drive ya, we're gonna ride ya, we're gonna get right inside ya,
And if you wanna keep going, just shout out for more!

Put yourself in our hands, so our voices can be heard,
And together we will take on all the world.

or

I'm feeling good tonight
I'm gonna cruise around
Makin' every head turn
Wind up the radio
I'm in the mood for some lovin'
Cause the night time's comin'

Can you feel the beat
Everybody's rockin' in the summer heat
As the sun goes down
Well deep down inside
You feel your tempature rise

or

Lochness confess your terror of the deep
Lochness distress
Malingers what you keep
Lochness protects monstrosity
Lochness confess to me

You could go on and on.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #244 on: June 03, 2013, 08:42:45 AM »
I would say being a fan of Priest half as long as I have would qualify as new generation to me, yes, but then I'm an old fucker.  :lol I just can't see how a band with Screaming For Vengeance and British Steel and Painkiller in their discography-let alone their 70s albums, which are to me just as good to better, and are about as far from the standard Priest set in the 80s stylistically as you can get, so I'm not just someone who thinks Priest began and ended with Screaming For Vengeance-could listen to Jugulator and say "this is their best album."

And yes, Jugulator has their worst lyrics. By far. One reading of the lyrics for Decapitate lowers your IQ by 10 points.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.