Author Topic: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024  (Read 219789 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: THE Judas Priest thread - new album and tour in 2018!!
« Reply #1225 on: January 08, 2020, 07:12:23 AM »
You can clearly tell them apart. One is in each ear. Not sure who is who.

What I found was that I really didn't care for Priest Live. It never really felt "right" to me for some reason. The Kansas City show is so much better.

To this day I can't exactly tell you why, but I feel exactly the same way about Priest Live (and I just gave it a re-listen a couple nights ago).  It was everything that "Live After Death" wasn't, and I'm not sure I could articulate what I mean by that.

By the way Wolf, I guess it depends where you are, but if you go on Discogs or something like that, you can get that Turbo remaster for as little as $15 (and I'm not talking Chinese knockoff). 

I too like the panned guitars, but having said that, I always thought it was really cheesy that the liner notes there for a while had the solo breaks spelled out ("Locked In: first solo first half, KK, first solo second half, Glenn/Second solo first quarter, KK, Second solo second quarter Glenn, second solo third quarter, KK and Glenn, second solo fourth quarter neither KK nor Glenn")  I don't know; it sort of rubbed me the wrong way.  I don't think you'd ever see that on a Maiden record.  Dave Murray would tell you to go f*** yourself.  :)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1226 on: January 08, 2020, 02:52:23 PM »
You can clearly tell them apart. One is in each ear. Not sure who is who.

What I found was that I really didn't care for Priest Live. It never really felt "right" to me for some reason. The Kansas City show is so much better.

To this day I can't exactly tell you why, but I feel exactly the same way about Priest Live (and I just gave it a re-listen a couple nights ago).  It was everything that "Live After Death" wasn't, and I'm not sure I could articulate what I mean by that.

By the way Wolf, I guess it depends where you are, but if you go on Discogs or something like that, you can get that Turbo remaster for as little as $15 (and I'm not talking Chinese knockoff). 

I too like the panned guitars, but having said that, I always thought it was really cheesy that the liner notes there for a while had the solo breaks spelled out ("Locked In: first solo first half, KK, first solo second half, Glenn/Second solo first quarter, KK, Second solo second quarter Glenn, second solo third quarter, KK and Glenn, second solo fourth quarter neither KK nor Glenn")  I don't know; it sort of rubbed me the wrong way.  I don't think you'd ever see that on a Maiden record.  Dave Murray would tell you to go f*** yourself.  :)

Thanks mate, I might have a hunt around.  Might even just buy it instore on the weekend for a treat.  If you rate the show as high as Tim does then I definitely need to track it down.

You know, as a guitarist, I fucking loved seeing solo credits.  It's like the band actually give a fuck about them and class them as important as lyrics to the songs.  I'm the opposite, seeing a detailed breakdown warms by guitar heart.  I guess it helped me when learning their songs who's solo I'm playing but the live albums helped with that too.

Painkillers always was my fav when it come to the credits and made me pump my fist.  Looking at the booklet right now;

Lether Rebel - Glenn & KK - Together
                    Runs at the end of lead break - KK

haha fuck yeah.

Metal Meltdown -  Intro first half - KK
                         Intro second half - Glenn
                         1st section of lead break - KK
                         2nd section of lead break - Glenn

One Shot At Glory - Entry lick - Glenn
                           2nd verse entry lick - KK
                           3rd section of lead break - Both
                           Outro - Glenn

Entry lick, runs at the end of lead break, fucking love it!  :lol :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1227 on: January 08, 2020, 02:57:15 PM »
I definitely appreciated guitar solo credits. How are you supposed to know who's playing what?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1228 on: January 08, 2020, 03:03:39 PM »
I suppose.  But, yeah, the Painkiller credits were what I was lampooning.

So, since you both seemed to welcome them, do you have a favorite guitarist between the two?   

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1229 on: January 08, 2020, 03:06:30 PM »
I suppose.  But, yeah, the Painkiller credits were what I was lampooning.

So, since you both seemed to welcome them, do you have a favorite guitarist between the two?

Glenn is so far ahead of KK in terms of guitar playing, it's not even a competition.  KK is great and I love his style and a lot of his solos but Glenn is another level.  He probably would be a top 5 all time guitarist for me, some of his work and understanding of the instrument and how to articulate solos over chord progressions is unbelievable.  Finding out about his illness literlly made me feel sick.  Absolute crime that this guy is getting his gift slowly taken away.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1230 on: January 08, 2020, 03:07:33 PM »
I definitely appreciated guitar solo credits. How are you supposed to know who's playing what?

I like them as a guitarist who can tell who's playing just by listening but would imagine the non player would enjoy them even more.  I can totally see why Bill thinks they're cheesy.  Look at those Painkiller ones haha.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1231 on: January 08, 2020, 03:31:56 PM »

Believe it or not, I'm an extremely casual JP fan. I like them a lot, but they've never been a Top 10 band for me. Ever. So I really don't have an opinion on a KK vs GT thing. Never really cared either.

But for a band that has two guitarists, I do like solo credits. Helps me follow along.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1232 on: January 08, 2020, 03:36:10 PM »

But for a band that has two guitarists, I do like solo credits. Helps me follow along.

Ditto.

And I've always liked KK's soloing better.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1233 on: January 08, 2020, 03:44:48 PM »

I like them as a guitarist who can tell who's playing just by listening but would imagine the non player would enjoy them even more.  I can totally see why Bill thinks they're cheesy.  Look at those Painkiller ones haha.

Remember, I compare everything to Maiden, and it just seems like Dave Murray is far more chill about that stuff (plus I can always tell Dave's solos; they pan their guitars as well).  You guys are giving me a different perspective on things; I always assumed it was a "look at us, look how METTLE we are" - which is the one thing I don't care too much for with Priest - but I see your point of view. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1234 on: January 08, 2020, 03:51:14 PM »

Remember, I compare everything to Maiden, and it just seems like Dave Murray is far more chill about that stuff (plus I can always tell Dave's solos; they pan their guitars as well).  You guys are giving me a different perspective on things; I always assumed it was a "look at us, look how METTLE we are" - which is the one thing I don't care too much for with Priest - but I see your point of view.

They do?  All the years listening I didn't think they really had Dave mixed more on the left and Adrian on the right with studio recordings, but I'll go back and check it out.

Glenn is also MILES ahead of both Dave and Adrian also while I'm here.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1235 on: January 08, 2020, 03:59:18 PM »
I always assumed it was a "look at us, look how METTLE we are" - which is the one thing I don't care too much for with Priest 

Bill, I'm as big of a Maiden fan as anyone, but they are just as guilty of having that kind of bravado.

But what you say about Priest is true.

I think the main reason I'm not a huge Priest guy is that their albums in my music formative years were really inconsistent.

Starting with British Steel, it never stood out to me. There's a ton better 1980 albums than that IMO. Point Of Entry kind of blows.
Screaming and Defenders are both great. But the rest of their 80's output, Turbo and Ram It Down are both not good.

There was just so much better music going on at the time. Plus their look was kind of cartoonish.

Even going back to their 70's stuff, it's good. But it just never captured my soul like UFO, Thin Lizzy,  & Alice Cooper did.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1236 on: January 08, 2020, 05:08:41 PM »
There was just so much better music going on at the time. Plus their look was kind of cartoonish.

Even going back to their 70's stuff, it's good. But it just never captured my soul like UFO, Thin Lizzy,  & Alice Cooper did.

Alanis Morrisette would like a word with you.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1237 on: January 08, 2020, 05:20:16 PM »
I always assumed it was a "look at us, look how METTLE we are" - which is the one thing I don't care too much for with Priest 

Bill, I'm as big of a Maiden fan as anyone, but they are just as guilty of having that kind of bravado.

But what you say about Priest is true.

I think the main reason I'm not a huge Priest guy is that their albums in my music formative years were really inconsistent.

Starting with British Steel, it never stood out to me. There's a ton better 1980 albums than that IMO. Point Of Entry kind of blows.
Screaming and Defenders are both great. But the rest of their 80's output, Turbo and Ram It Down are both not good.

I think if I grew up at the time, I'd share a similar opinion.  British Steel never stood out to me either and dare I say, I don't think SFV really deserves the praise it gets.  To me Defenders is simply where it's at.  That album is legendary for me, as is Painkiller.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1238 on: January 08, 2020, 06:24:43 PM »

Not sure I understand the Alanis reference, but the original Alice Cooper band is the most underrated classic rock band going. They wrote music way ahead of its time. If all you (not you personally pg) know is School's Out and 18, that doesn't even scratch the surface of their greatness.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1239 on: January 08, 2020, 07:05:06 PM »

I have no clue what this means either.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1240 on: January 08, 2020, 08:09:24 PM »

I cannot stand Alanis but she had a song called Ironic

I think the idea is that calling Priest catoonish and loving Alice Cooper is ironic.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1241 on: January 08, 2020, 08:13:41 PM »
I don't understand a word you just said. :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1242 on: January 08, 2020, 10:01:52 PM »

I think the idea is that calling Priest catoonish and loving Alice Cooper is ironic.

Huh, never would have gotten that.  :lol

I don't think Priest and Cooper could be both called cartoonish.  I think that term for Judas Priest is valid with their imagery in the 80's.  Cooper though at the time was innovative and it was something new for the time and shocked people.  Wouldn’t think of him as cartoonish.  Priest's image at the time was just comical and seemed a bit of a piss take IMO.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1243 on: January 09, 2020, 09:43:00 AM »

Yup.

And, ironically, the lyrics to Ironic had relatively little irony in them.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1244 on: January 09, 2020, 09:56:38 AM »
I think Alice Cooper never took himself very seriously, and that the character was always meant to have a bit of dark humour attached to it. I remember reading an interview for the last album where he (he as in Vincent Furnier, he always talks of the onstage character Alice Cooper in third person) said something along the lines of "He'll threaten to slit open your throat, and then he'll slip on a banana peel".

The shock and horror were always there, but I don't think Alice Cooper was ever meant to be the ultimate super serious scary guy. You were meant to see the dark humour behind it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1245 on: January 09, 2020, 01:53:02 PM »
I've written about this many times here.   I frequently call Priest cartoonish, and I stand by that.   I think there is a HUGE difference between Alice Cooper and Judas Priest.   I'm new to the ACB bandwagon (thanks TAC!) but the Ezrin years material has an edge to it, a darkness, a DANGER, that I never got from Priest.   

That's not to say I don't like Priest, because I do, but like TAC (I think) said, there was a lot that blew as well.   I think the only albums I like top to bottom are Screaming and Defenders.  I like Point of Entry, but recognize it for what it is (and mainly like it because Solar Angels and Desert Plains are killer). 

There was also a... I often got a whiff of "calculatedness" to Priest that I didn't get from the other bands I liked.  'arry used to always say "we want to give something to the fans", and they did:  wicked b-sides, DVDs packed with documentaries, live shows, etc.   Priest says "we want to give something to the fans" and we get a live track from "one of our many world tours", and a couple of live b-sides in the late '70's that never showed up ever again.  Really?   (And yes, I know I love Kiss, but Kiss never made any bones about being "mettle maniacs" or any of that.  Kiss was about banging chicks, period and everything else was a bonus). 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1246 on: January 12, 2020, 03:25:21 PM »
Wanted to buy something on the weekend so I picked up the Turbo 30.  It's a nice little package.  I've listened to the first cd and it's quite good.  Rob sounds good on some, a bit rough on others but all in all the band sound pretty good.  The rendition of The Sentinel is fantastic.  Locked In also sounded great.  I like the mix and sounded nice in the car.  Not sure how it compares to Priest Live, I never really listened to that one much at all.

I don't know if the solo credits are listed in the original album off the top of my head but they are listed here and when I'm at home I'll have to list the ones for Locked In, Stadler will lose his shit haha.  So detailed they are.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1247 on: January 12, 2020, 03:42:07 PM »
HAHA.

The Sentinel... if it's not my favorite Priest tune it's way up there.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1248 on: January 12, 2020, 03:42:42 PM »
The Sentinel is such a kick ass tune  :metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1249 on: January 12, 2020, 03:43:24 PM »
The Sentinel is my 11yo son's favourite tune - from anyone :lol  (serious)

Killer song and possibly my favourite Priest tune also.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1250 on: January 12, 2020, 03:43:41 PM »
Those opening notes...goosebumps.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1251 on: January 12, 2020, 03:44:48 PM »
The Sentinel is my 11yo son's favourite tune - from anyone :lol  (serious)

Killer song and possibly my favourite Priest tune also.

How cool is the Benster  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1252 on: January 12, 2020, 03:49:17 PM »
The Sentinel is like my 4th or 5th favorite song off of Defenders of the Faith, but still a good tune. :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1253 on: January 12, 2020, 03:49:53 PM »
The Sentinel is like my 4th or 5th favorite song off of Defenders of the Faith, but still a good tune. :metal

The adults are talking! :P :P Go back to the kids table.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1254 on: January 12, 2020, 03:51:37 PM »

The adults are talking! :P :P Go back to the kids table.

LOL, way to be original! :P

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1255 on: January 12, 2020, 03:52:10 PM »
Defenders of the Faith is pretty much one of the defining moments in heavy metal.  Required listening for anyone into 80's metal or heavy metal in general.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1256 on: January 12, 2020, 04:01:21 PM »
It's a top 3 Priest album for me.  I wish there was official live albums and dvd's from that tour.  I know there's something out there that's semi pro if I recall??

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1257 on: January 12, 2020, 05:04:32 PM »
It's a top 3 Priest album for me.  I wish there was official live albums and dvd's from that tour.  I know there's something out there that's semi pro if I recall??

The Long Beach '84 show is on the Defenders remaster. There's nothing semi pro about it. It's awesome.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1258 on: January 12, 2020, 05:34:56 PM »

The Long Beach '84 show is on the Defenders remaster. There's nothing semi pro about it. It's awesome.

That was my second ever metal concert.  The anniversary set is sitting in my Amazon wish list.  One of these days I'll pull the trigger.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1259 on: January 12, 2020, 05:43:28 PM »

Fuck of course, I own this one.  :facepalm:

It must have been a live video concert that I was thinking of that I always wanted.