Author Topic: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024  (Read 219331 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: THE Judas Priest thread - new album and tour in 2018!!
« Reply #1190 on: January 02, 2020, 11:37:33 PM »
The only songs I'd cut from the two albums if I were forced are Wild Nights, Love Zone and Love You To Death.  Come and Get it could probably go too.

But you still gotta admit admit those above mentioned songs are still pretty darn good.

Ohh..........they are okay I guess. Wild Nights is okay, but the Ram it Down three aren't Priests best songs.  I've learned to accept them more over time.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1191 on: January 03, 2020, 07:59:15 AM »
The skippers on those two albums are not good, but Ram It Down, Blood Red Skies and Out in the Cold are all god-tier Priest tunes in my book, and Turbo Lover, Reckless and Monsters of Rock are all keepers as well.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1192 on: January 04, 2020, 05:23:59 AM »
I could make a fairly solid EP of those two albums.  :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1193 on: January 04, 2020, 02:23:30 PM »
About mixing those two albums... from Ram It Down I'd pick Ram It Down, I'm a Rocker, Hard as Iron, the absolutely magnificent and wonderful Blood Red Skies and Monster of Rock. From Turbo definitively Turbo Lover, Reckless and Out in the Cold, about the remaining two songs to make it even and make it a 5+5 album.... dunno, off the top of my head the rest was pretty bland, pick any two other Turbo songs, I'll agree with you  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1194 on: January 04, 2020, 05:09:22 PM »
I need to go back and relisten to Ram It Down.  I like not love Turbo, but I always had the impression that the answer wasn't "the best songs from both", it was a new album somewhere in between.  A little heavier than Turbo, but a little more melodic than RID.  But I haven't listened to either in years.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 02:41:32 PM by Stadler »

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1195 on: January 05, 2020, 08:21:57 AM »
How about this for an EP?

1. Ram it down
2. Turbo lover
3. Private property
4. Blood red skies
5. Out in the cold
6. Monsters of rock

That was the best I could do.  :lol

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1196 on: January 05, 2020, 02:48:22 PM »
I think you some of you guys need to revisit Turbo and Ram it Down.  Some awesome and underappreciated songs on those two albums.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1197 on: January 05, 2020, 02:49:11 PM »
Maybe I'll run through them tonight..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1198 on: January 05, 2020, 03:17:28 PM »
I think you some of you guys need to revisit Turbo and Ram it Down.  Some awesome and underappreciated songs on those two albums.

Yeah, I'm leaning with Jason here.  Both are very enjoyable albums in my book, with some rippers on there.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1199 on: January 05, 2020, 03:20:25 PM »
Probably been 30 years since I listened to Turbo. Seriously.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1200 on: January 05, 2020, 03:43:07 PM »

Yeah, I'm leaning with Jason here.  Both are very enjoyable albums in my book, with some rippers on there.

You misremember, Ripper was on Jugulator and Demolition only.

;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1201 on: January 05, 2020, 03:45:02 PM »

You misremember, Ripper was on Jugulator and Demolition only.

;D

Wow, I wondered if anyone would take this opportunity and it didn't take long at all.  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1202 on: January 05, 2020, 03:46:21 PM »

Wow!!  It's a nice album.  Turbo Lover, Locked In, Out in the Cold, Hot For Love, Reckless, all very good songs.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1203 on: January 05, 2020, 04:27:20 PM »

Wow!!  It's a nice album.  Turbo Lover, Locked In, Out in the Cold, Hot For Love, Reckless, all very good songs.

You have to remember and respect that these are the types of albums that I only listen to 😂.....trust me they are extremely good

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1204 on: January 05, 2020, 05:30:18 PM »
I just listened to Turbo in the shower and while prepping dinner and it was better than I remember.   A little too much gloss on the chorus vocals, but the songs are pretty good (I could care less about the keyboards; that was never an issue for me). 

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1205 on: January 05, 2020, 05:31:55 PM »
I just listened to Turbo in the shower and while prepping dinner and it was better than I remember.   A little too much gloss on the chorus vocals, but the songs are pretty good (I could care less about the keyboards; that was never an issue for me).

:metal  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1206 on: January 05, 2020, 05:39:02 PM »
Um..my review is in The Cool Thread. ;D

Let's just say that Stadler and I do not see eye to eye on this. :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1207 on: January 05, 2020, 05:43:40 PM »

Did you keep your hands off private property? :P

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1208 on: January 05, 2020, 05:45:09 PM »

nah, I heard he was reckless.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1209 on: January 05, 2020, 05:47:51 PM »

nah, I heard he was reckless.

We'll need a review soon of Ram It Down as well, and what you guys think of the Monsters of COCK.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1210 on: January 05, 2020, 05:51:47 PM »
Let's just say I was locked in, and leave it at that.  :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1211 on: January 05, 2020, 05:52:40 PM »
Let's just say I was locked in, and leave it at that.  :)

:metal :metal

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1212 on: January 05, 2020, 08:28:21 PM »
Been listening to a lot of Priest lately. Still can’t get into Nostradamus. Anyway, some awesome tunes cited by the “OP”. I agree with most of the choices. As for the other topic, Ram it Down is actually is my pick for most underrated album. I know the production choices and triggered drums don’t do it any favors but Halford Tipton and Downing where on fire on that album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1213 on: January 05, 2020, 08:36:45 PM »
The great thing about Priest from 1974-1990 is that every single album in that stretch has at least a few killer songs that I wouldn't want to do without.  Even the lesser albums still have very high highs.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1214 on: January 05, 2020, 08:37:46 PM »
Been listening to a lot of Priest lately. Still can’t get into Nostradamus. Anyway, some awesome tunes cited by the “OP”. I agree with most of the choices. As for the other topic, Ram it Down is actually is my pick for most underrated album. I know the production choices and triggered drums don’t do it any favors but Halford Tipton and Downing where on fire on that album.

:metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1215 on: January 06, 2020, 04:06:03 AM »

He was Hard As Iron so I doubt it.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1216 on: January 06, 2020, 09:13:44 AM »
Finally read KK Downing's book, which was a lot of fun to read.  He wrote this perfectly - there wasn't much of a focus on his childhood except to inform the reader as to how events in his youth would shape him as an adult, which helps to explain how or why he handled certain situations in the band in a particular manner.  I loved that he touched on the songwriting sessions for each record. 

He may have the Blabbermouth potential with some things he says, but I felt that the book itself was incredibly classy with how things were stated.  He was honest and direct without simply just trash talking the other members.

Now that Glenn isn't touring with the band anymore, I really would like for Priest to open the door to KK either playing live or rejoining the band in full.

At the least, the book has had me listening to nearly every record over the last two weeks, which has been a fun deep-dive into the catalog (I only own Painkiller, Metal Works, and then the subsequent studio albums since then, along with '98 Live Meltdown). 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1217 on: January 06, 2020, 10:50:25 AM »
How about this for an EP?

1. Ram it down
2. Turbo lover
3. Private property
4. Blood red skies
5. Out in the cold
6. Monsters of rock

That was the best I could do.  :lol

I'm with TAC.  Between 1987/88 and 1997, I started replacing my vinyl records with CDs, and I would generally trash the vinyl as I did so.  In 1997 (maybe 98), I trashed the remaining vinyl because I knew I wasn't going to spend money to replace those albums (stuff like Dokken and Twisted Sister).  Turbo was among those albums and was the only Priest album I didn't replace with a CD.  I did, however, replace Priest...Live! with a CD, so that's been my only source of the Turbo material the past 22+ years.  Most of side 1 of Turbo is laughable.  Rock You All Around the World is ok.  It's an overpolished version of songs like United and Metal Gods.  Locked In is ok.  Out in the Code is ok, but it was a baffling choice to the 18 year old me as a concert opener.  The rest of side 2 is pretty much forgettable.

Ram It Down is hit or miss, but where it hits, it hits hard.  The title track, Hard as Iron, Blood Red Skies and I'm a Rocker are all excellent.  On the other hand, you get Heavy Metal, Love Zone and Johnny B. Goode, which are all pretty bad.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1218 on: January 07, 2020, 11:54:17 AM »
I LOVED Firepower   so Id welcome a new JP CD
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1219 on: January 07, 2020, 03:19:50 PM »
Yeah, pg, I have Priest Live on CD too. I also bought the Turbo Remaster so I could get the Kemper Arena show.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1220 on: January 07, 2020, 03:41:32 PM »
Yeah, pg, I have Priest Live on CD too. I also bought the Turbo Remaster so I could get the Kemper Arena show.

I couldn't justify spending 30 bucks on that remaster with the live cd when we have Priest Live.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1221 on: January 07, 2020, 03:57:27 PM »
The KC show is much more live than the overdubbed Priest Live. For comparisons, just listen to the chorus of Heading Out To The Highway from each album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1222 on: January 07, 2020, 04:04:42 PM »
The KC show is much more live than the overdubbed Priest Live. For comparisons, just listen to the chorus of Heading Out To The Highway from each album.

Might be worth a look.  Could also give me an excuse to listen to Turbo again.  ;D

I might try and sample it.  I would want to make sure the mixing has Glen and KK split over the speakers.  That's what does it for me for live albums with bands like Priest, Maiden etc.  The Tribulation for example is wonderful because of that style of mixing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1223 on: January 07, 2020, 04:12:06 PM »
You can clearly tell them apart. One is in each ear. Not sure who is who.

What I found was that I really didn't care for Priest Live. It never really felt "right" to me for some reason. The Kansas City show is so much better.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1224 on: January 07, 2020, 04:15:03 PM »
You can clearly tell them apart. One is in each ear. Not sure who is who.

What I found was that I really didn't care for Priest Live. It never really felt "right" to me for some reason. The Kansas City show is so much better.

Alright, I'll add it to the list.

Usually, KK is left and Glenn is on the right.