Author Topic: Thrash Metal Discussion/ Appreciation  (Read 47164 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Thrash Metal Discussion/ Appreciation
« Reply #351 on: February 06, 2024, 07:27:44 AM »
Repentless was really good.

This song certainly follows on from that sound and definitely nothing new, but enjoyable none the less.

It's a toss up as to what album title makes me laugh harder:  "Repentless" or "Jugulator" by Priest. 

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #352 on: February 06, 2024, 08:18:14 PM »

Was it?

It was.

As much as I hate to say it, it was. I was so pissed at King booting Lombardo that I wanted to hate the album. Sadly, I think it is really great.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #353 on: February 07, 2024, 03:00:53 AM »

Was it?

It was.

As much as I hate to say it, it was. I was so pissed at King booting Lombardo that I wanted to hate the album. Sadly, I think it is really great.

I hadn't really liked much from the band after GHUA so went in with no expectations, was pleasantly surprised.  Great album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wkiml8116

« Reply #354 on: February 07, 2024, 09:53:23 AM »
Been on a little bit of a thrash kick this week, mainly been listening through Testament's back catalogue, so thought I’d rank my favourite thrash bands, just because…

1. Metallica
2. Megadeth
3. Slayer
4. Sepultura
5. Testament
6. Kreator
7. Suicidal Tendencies
8. Municipal Waste
9. Send More Paramedics
10. Vektor
11. Species
12. Annihilator
13. Droid
14. Exhorder
15. Anthrax
16. Exodus
17. Evile
18. SSS
19. Evil
20. Possessed
21. Coroner
22. Pizza Death
23. Chemicide
24. Tankard

where is Overkill?  Most consistent thrash band over the last 25 years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-49H6VN3qbY&ab_channel=%D0%86%D0%B3%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%A6%D1%8C%D0%BE%D1%85

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #355 on: February 08, 2024, 02:43:12 AM »
Overkill are OK, but honestly I'm not super familiar with them. I've listened to their biggest albums but nothing ever really stuck out as being something I'd revisit.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #356 on: February 08, 2024, 10:10:31 AM »
As we've been talking Slayer, has anyone heard of the band Slower? They are a Slayer cover band and they've just released their debut album. They play doomy (hence the name), female fronted covers...

https://open.spotify.com/album/3d8XUMZuE3thn8C0oEsh63?si=3BZVZ5S-QqauhhZAq0_Odg

I've only heard War Ensemble, but it's enough for me to want to check them out. It's like Messa covering Slayer or something. Good shit :metal

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #357 on: April 02, 2024, 09:56:54 AM »
For those missing the classic teutonic thrash sound, check out new release by Terravore - Spiral of Downfall.

https://open.spotify.com/album/3RMXRX1LRlzZ6jrEpzrdwE?si=9-yDfjJ-Re2AKhukIPukdQ

It's an old school sound and definitely worth a spin.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #358 on: April 09, 2024, 11:00:41 AM »
Anyone a fan of Forbidden? They have gotten back together with a new singer, Norm Skinner, and are incredible. My wife and I have seen them twice now since they reformed. Craig Locicero is a friend. Great guy, killer songwriter and player. New record coming for them in 2025.  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #359 on: April 09, 2024, 06:00:39 PM »
I'm not as familiar with their work as I'd like to be, but I've heard most of it and quite enjoy it.  I've been binging on Imagika a lot due to sending them recently in a roulette, so my level of appreciation for Skinner has been rising.  He and Smyth will be a fantastic pairing. 

Offline nick_z

« Reply #360 on: April 09, 2024, 06:06:24 PM »
Anyone a fan of Forbidden? They have gotten back together with a new singer, Norm Skinner, and are incredible. My wife and I have seen them twice now since they reformed. Craig Locicero is a friend. Great guy, killer songwriter and player. New record coming for them in 2025.  :metal

I have recently revisited Forbidden Evil, and I have Twisted Into Form lined up! Good stuff.

Is their most recent (almost 15 years old, now!) album worthy? For some reason, I've never gotten around to checking it out...

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #361 on: April 09, 2024, 07:39:32 PM »
I don't have much to add - Forbidden is awesome.

THRASH THRASH THRASH   :metal

Offline jammindude

« Reply #362 on: April 09, 2024, 09:13:56 PM »
Omega Wave is awesome.

I’m going to miss Russ, but I don’t believe he kept his voice in shape. Which is a shame, because he’s probably (for just pure singing talent) the #1 thrash vocalist of all time in my eyes.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #363 on: April 11, 2024, 12:33:03 PM »
I have recently revisited Forbidden Evil, and I have Twisted Into Form lined up! Good stuff.

Is their most recent (almost 15 years old, now!) album worthy? For some reason, I've never gotten around to checking it out...

Yes! OMEGA WAVE is bad ass!

Omega Wave is awesome.

Yessir!

I’m going to miss Russ, but I don’t believe he kept his voice in shape. Which is a shame, because he’s probably (for just pure singing talent) the #1 thrash vocalist of all time in my eyes.

It's not his voice. Russ retired. The band said when they did the announcement that Russ has gotten completely clean and sober, and wanted to leave it behind him. He gave his full blessing to Craig to move forward with Norm on vocals. I really respect Russ. Sounds like he just doesn't want to put himself around things that may tempt him.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline nick_z

« Reply #364 on: April 12, 2024, 06:42:42 AM »
Posted this a couple of times in the ...Listening thread recently. Highly recommended thrash from Sweden, came out in 2022:

Defiatory - Apokalyps

As we were just discussing it, I hear some Forbidden influence in the riffing. Some cool, melodic leads too.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #365 on: April 12, 2024, 06:48:22 AM »
I'll give it a blast mate :metal
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 02:09:29 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #366 on: April 12, 2024, 02:03:52 PM »
New Kerry King track.

https://youtu.be/2fALV3X9jB4?si=XbSDE5bZED1Bfzjm

Cool solo from Phil. Never knew Mark had this in him. This album is shaping up to be pretty darn good.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #367 on: April 12, 2024, 02:10:47 PM »

Been binging on some "B-tier" thrash bands (who I often like more than the A-tier ones more recently) lately.  Seems like this album hasn't gotten a ton of attention.  A bunch of rerecordings of their earlier material, I'm sure purists find it sacrilege, but I like the punchier production style here. 

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #368 on: April 12, 2024, 02:16:06 PM »
I only really know the classic Annihilator albums. Jeff Waters is incredible though, so should probably give it a go.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #369 on: April 12, 2024, 02:45:16 PM »

Been binging on some "B-tier" thrash bands (who I often like more than the A-tier ones more recently) lately.  Seems like this album hasn't gotten a ton of attention.  A bunch of rerecordings of their earlier material, I'm sure purists find it sacrilege, but I like the punchier production style here.

I have this one as a bonus disc of my copy of Feast. I agree it's a pretty good revisit of a bunch of good songs. By the way, Feast is probably my favorite of their records with David Padden. It's not saying a lot, frankly, but there are some decent tunes in there.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #370 on: April 12, 2024, 03:03:05 PM »
I haven't heard all that much of their mid and later-era material, and am not really up on the vocalist changes, but from what I've heard I think they're more of a "specific tracks" band in those periods.  For example, All For You generally seems considered one of their worst albums, even with Mangini on it, but the bonus track "Weapon X" is easily one of their best songs. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 03:09:43 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #371 on: April 12, 2024, 04:48:33 PM »
Loved the first few Annihilator albums. I got my Alice In Hell vinyl signed by the band before their first UK gig. Jeff  is an absolutely extraordinary lead player. Really one of the best ever. Annihilator are definitely not one of the best thrash bands ever, though. His talents have been buried under decades of sub-par vocals and songs. He should have taken the Megadeth gig when offered, imo.

I hold a soft spot for him, though. I'll check out some of those re-recordings. Nice one.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #372 on: April 12, 2024, 06:11:23 PM »
His talents have been buried under decades of sub-par vocals and songs. He should have taken the Megadeth gig when offered, imo.

Speaking of the irony though...

And it's interesting that almost every single major thrash band has at least one fatal flaw.  I guess The Gathering and beyond Testament comes closest to getting it all right, though the songwriting is often good but not spectacular. 

Offline nick_z

« Reply #373 on: April 12, 2024, 06:15:35 PM »
I haven't heard all that much of their mid and later-era material, and am not really up on the vocalist changes, but from what I've heard I think they're more of a "specific tracks" band in those periods.  For example, All For You generally seems considered one of their worst albums, even with Mangini on it, but the bonus track "Weapon X" is easily one of their best songs.

Yes to the bolded, for sure.

What's your favorite album of theirs, Litho? For me, Never, Neverland is the top for me, an absolute classic. Incredible riffing and leads, and great songs all around. The debut is great too, of course. But, as much as it almost sounds like a different band, Set the World on Fire might be the runner-up for me.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #374 on: April 12, 2024, 06:31:27 PM »
It might be cheating, but right now it might actually be Re-Kill, or even Double Live Annihilation that I posted a few days ago.  The Re-Kill version of "Stonewall" has been stuck in my head all day long, and what an incredible solo.  But for a more conventional answer, I'm really not sure.  Probably one of the first two, but I haven't spent quite enough time with either for one to pop yet.  They're one of those bands that I've always liked but didn't get into my rotation to familiarize myself with, so this current binge is helping with that. 

Offline nick_z

« Reply #375 on: April 12, 2024, 06:49:50 PM »
Yes to the bolded, for sure.

What's your favorite album of theirs, Litho? For me, Never, Neverland is the top for me, an absolute classic. Incredible riffing and leads, and great songs all around. The debut is great too, of course. But, as much as it almost sounds like a different band, Set the World on Fire might be the runner-up for me.

In case it wasn’t clear, all of the above is, um, for me   :biggrin:

It might be cheating, but right now it might actually be Re-Kill, or even Double Live Annihilation that I posted a few days ago.  The Re-Kill version of "Stonewall" has been stuck in my head all day long, and what an incredible solo.  But for a more conventional answer, I'm really not sure.  Probably one of the first two, but I haven't spent quite enough time with either for one to pop yet.  They're one of those bands that I've always liked but didn't get into my rotation to familiarize myself with, so this current binge is helping with that. 

Definitely revisit Never, Neverland…

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #376 on: April 12, 2024, 06:56:10 PM »
Oh, so All For You it is.  I love a contrarian.  ;)

Offline nick_z

« Reply #377 on: April 12, 2024, 06:58:30 PM »
Well played  :biggrin:

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #378 on: April 13, 2024, 01:10:23 AM »
Speaking of the irony though...

Oh, yeah. :lol You're so right. I'd genuinely not realised that...  ;D I'm barely a Megadeth fan, bar a bunch of love for Peace Sells, even given Mustaine's massive guitar talents. For exactly the sub-par songs and vocals reasons.

And it's interesting that almost every single major thrash band has at least one fatal flaw.  I guess The Gathering and beyond Testament comes closest to getting it all right, though the songwriting is often good but not spectacular.

Yeah, it's odd. Exodus have always been inconsistent. Slayer's quality gently dropped off a cliff.  Testament have become consistent but doesn't excite me at all, somehow.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #379 on: April 13, 2024, 08:10:03 PM »
Yeah, it's odd. Exodus have always been inconsistent. Slayer's quality gently dropped off a cliff.  Testament have become consistent but doesn't excite me at all, somehow.

I'd put Death Angel's last handful of records up there too (Relentless Retribution, Dream Calls for Blood, The Moth, Humanicide). 

The only Testament record that bored me lately was Brotherhood of the Snake.  Titans of Creation re-solidified them for me, but they'll never top The Gathering in my eyes...of wrath.   :metal

I think the last two Exodus albums have been awesome and hope that keep that going. 

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #380 on: April 21, 2024, 09:36:30 AM »
If you really want to flex your classic thrash knowledge, how many albums you heard from this list... (this is a ridiculously large list, FYI)

https://ruthlessmetal.blogspot.com/p/1000thrashalbums.html?m=1

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #381 on: April 21, 2024, 12:55:31 PM »
Mentioned over in the Anthrax thread that I finally looked into Nuclear Assault to see what Lilker did after Turbin canned him.

Started with Handle With Care. Gave it several listens and loved it.

Recently got a listen in to Game Over. Didn't like it as much. It's clear they stepped it up after that album, although, Brain Death is a fantastic and unexpected song.

My version of Game Over also included The Plague as a bonus. I thought the songs on that were better than Game Over, sans Brain Death.

I still have Survive to listen to. That has been out of print since 2012 and is available nowhere. A dude uploaded a CD rip to archive.org so I was able to get it there. Probably not legal, but it's nowhere to be found except the resale market.

Oh yeah, I bought Third World Genocide and Pounder digitally. Need to get to those as well.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #382 on: April 21, 2024, 01:44:08 PM »
In other thrash news, I went for a walk this evening as the sun was setting. I had a variety of tunes playing, but an absolute highlight was blasting 1,320' by Megadeth. What an absolute belter of a song :metal