Author Topic: THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024  (Read 214176 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
THE Judas Priest thread - v. new album and tour in 2024
« on: July 06, 2010, 10:43:23 PM »
Using the search forum, I noticed that there isn't an official Priest thread, and there damn well should be, so here it is.  It was inspired by reading this post in the most played thread:

Judas Priest - Dreamer Deceiver (Fuck Painkiller, this is JP's best song.)

:metal :metal

While I wouldn't say "Dreamer Deceiver" is my single favorite Priest song, it would be top 5, easily.  In fact, I consider that and "Deceiver" to be like two songs that go together.  I'll start the ball rolling by listing a top 10 off the top of my head:

1. "Beyond the Realms of Death"
2. "Victim of Changes" (live from UITE)
3. "Sinner"
4. "Dreamer Deceiver"/"Deceiver"
5. "Desert Plains"
6. "Bloodstone"
7. "Exciter"
8. "Tyrant"
9. "The Rage"
10. "A Touch of Evil"

Oh, and "Painkiller" wouldn't even make my top 3 from that CD. :biggrin:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 06:40:13 AM by KevShmev »

Offline Seventh Son

Re: THE Judas Priest thread
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 10:50:03 PM »
Its nearly impossible for me to make a top 10 JP song list, but I'll rank their albums.

And  :metal at being the inspiration for a thread  :biggrin:

1. Sad Wings of Destiny
2. Sin After Sin
3. Stained Class
4. Defenders of the Faith
5. Screaming For Vengeance
6. Painkiller
7. Angel of Retribution
8. Ram it Down (This is not a bad album, I don't get the hate this album gets)
9. British Steele
10. Point of Entry
11. Hell Bent For Leather
12. Nostradamus
13. Rocka Rolla
14. Demolition
15. Jugulator
16. Turbo
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 10:53:59 PM »
Kinda a Judas Priest noob. As soon as I get money, I'll be getting a lot of JP's stuff. All I have now is British Steel, Nostradamus, Screaming For Vengeance, and Hell Bent For Leather, which I haven't listened to yet. My favorite is SFV, with BS behind it. As a matter of fact, "Living After Midnight" was the first song I learned on the drums. Love that song.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 10:56:12 PM »
My thoughts on Judas Priest: "Meh."
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 10:56:48 PM »
I definitely agree with Sad Wings behind their best, and I would put Stained Class at number 2.  

I must admit that Ram It Down would be near the bottom for me, but the title track (featuring an unbelievably awesome dual guitar solo) and "Blood Red Skies" are both killer tunes.

Actually, I think Rocka Rolla is one that gets overlooked way too much.  I think it is great, and it would definitely be in the top half if I had to rank my favorite Priest albums.  

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 10:57:22 PM »

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 11:01:35 PM »
I definitely agree with Sad Wings behind their best, and I would put Stained Class at number 2.  

I must admit that Ram It Down would be near the bottom for me, but the title track (featuring an unbelievably awesome dual guitar solo) and "Blood Red Skies" are both killer tunes.

Actually, I think Rocka Rolla is one that gets overlooked way too much.  I think it is great, and it would definitely be in the top half if I had to rank my favorite Priest albums.  

Sin after Sin is just so.... experimental for a Judas Priest album, I can't help but love it for that. And yes, I actually like Diamonds and Rust.

Rocka Rolla is okay..... but it just doesn't have that "Judas Priest" feel.

Thisx1000000000

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 11:03:57 PM »
Rocka Rolla is definitely less metal than most of Priest's other stuff, but it is still very good.  "Run of the Mill" would be in my top 20, and every thing else ranges from good to very good. 

Sin After Sin would be top 5 for me, too, along with SFV and British Steel, the latter of which I seem to like more than a lot of diehard Priest fans do.  Oh well.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 11:04:35 PM »
Hey man, I never said I hated them. I just never said they were a regular pleasure of mine. I'd say I like them about as much as Iron Maiden. They have a few awesome albums and a ton of decent albums. Painkiller and Screaming For Vengeance being my personal favorites.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 11:10:23 PM »
Rocka Rolla is definitely less metal than most of Priest's other stuff, but it is still very good.  "Run of the Mill" would be in my top 20, and every thing else ranges from good to very good. 

Sin After Sin would be top 5 for me, too, along with SFV and British Steel, the latter of which I seem to like more than a lot of diehard Priest fans do.  Oh well.

I completely forgot about Run of the Mill! Its a great song, just not always in the mood for it. Hell, I think I've only listened to Rocka Rolla like 2-3 times in its entirety though.

As for British Steele, its good.... but there's a lot of filler on it.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 11:15:20 PM »
Hey man, I never said I hated them. I just never said they were a regular pleasure of mine. I'd say I like them about as much as Iron Maiden. They have a few awesome albums and a ton of decent albums. Painkiller and Screaming For Vengeance being my personal favorites.
I suppose this is a valid opinion.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 11:19:06 PM »

Painkiller is the only song of theirs that has ever excited me. I'll have to agree with UMH here.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 11:19:20 PM »
I completely forgot about Run of the Mill! Its a great song, just not always in the mood for it. Hell, I think I've only listened to Rocka Rolla like 2-3 times in its entirety though.

Every time I listen to it, I am like, "Damn, this is so good...I need to listen to this more!" :lol

I don't see that at all.  Every song is good, and it has three positively outstanding Priest songs:

"Metal Gods"
"The Rage"
"Steeler"

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 11:21:01 PM »

Painkiller is the only song of theirs that has ever excited me. I'll have to agree with UMH here.

Painkiller is incredibly overrated. Good song, but it would be just outside top 30 for me.

Every time I listen to it, I am like, "Damn, this is so good...I need to listen to this more!" :lol

I don't see that at all.  Every song is good, and it has three positively outstanding Priest songs:

"Metal Gods"
"The Rage"
"Steeler"
Metal Gods is great, The Rage and Steeler are meh songs though. Never cared for those.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 11:23:44 PM »
Not really coming from a metal background, an almost speed metal song like "Painkiller" doesn't appeal to me that much.  I do dig "Freewheel Burning," which is pretty fast, too, quite a bit, however. 

Also, "Before the Dawn" is awesome.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 11:31:35 PM »
Not really coming from a metal background, an almost speed metal song like "Painkiller" doesn't appeal to me that much.  I do dig "Freewheel Burning," which is pretty fast, too, quite a bit, however. 

Also, "Before the Dawn" is awesome.

I'm a fan of Death Metal, so obviously I don't mind fast/brutal songs. Its just that Painkiller isn't as great as its hype is. Very good song, yes. Still, not quite what its hyped up to be.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2010, 03:55:52 AM »
Big fan here :metal

I had a big Priest phase a couple of years ago when I got all their albums (and they've released quite a few). Favourite albums include Killing Machine, Screaming For Vengeance, Sin After Sin, and Sad Wings Of Destiny. Rob Halford is one of the best singers ever, no matter what genre. His solo stuff is awesome too.

He even did a great duet with Bruce Dickinson on the song The One You Love To Hate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-KZtvs0Al4
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2010, 04:18:44 AM »
Priest is one of my favorite bands.
Rob Halford is a god :metal
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Offline Mladen

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2010, 05:00:01 AM »
I've never been a fan of Sad wings of destiny. I enjoy Victim of changes, Tyrant and Genocide. There's nothing about the rest of the album that at least makes me tap my foot, it's so bland. Even Rocka rolla sounds cooler to me.

My favorite albums: Screaming for vengeance, Defenders of the faith, Hell bend for leather, Painkiller, British steel, Sin after sin. Some of the good songs: Tyrant, Sinner, Exciter, Hell bent for leather, Before the dawn, Living after midnight, Heading out the highway, Electric eye, Take these chains, The Sentinel, Some heads are gonna roll, Ram it down, Painkiller, Worth fighting for, Future of mankind... I haven't heard the albums with Ripper, although I've seen the live DVD, and enjoyed every second of it.

I'll never forget July the 1st 2008. That was the day I was supposed to see Judas Priest live. I bought the ticket in the late december and waited for six months to see my first big heavy metal concert. However, only a couple of hours before the planned time for show to start, we found out that Glen Tipton got sick and was taken to England to have an operation done. I felt sorry for Glen, but I was so desperate - the show I've waited to see for so long got canceled on the date of the gig. I though I'll remember July the 1st as one of the worst dates of my life, but thankfully on that date one year later, I got to see Dream Theater live.  :biggrin:

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2010, 05:04:36 AM »
I've never been a fan of Sad wings of destiny. I enjoy Victim of changes, Tyrant and Genocide. There's nothing about the rest of the album that at least makes me tap my foot, it's so bland. Even Rocka rolla sounds cooler to me.

My favorite albums: Screaming for vengeance, Defenders of the faith, Hell bend for leather, Painkiller, British steel, Sin after sin. Some of the good songs: Tyrant, Sinner, Exciter, Hell bent for leather, Before the dawn, Living after midnight, Heading out the highway, Electric eye, Take these chains, The Sentinel, Some heads are gonna roll, Ram it down, Painkiller, Worth fighting for, Future of mankind... I haven't heard the albums with Ripper, although I've seen the live DVD, and enjoyed every second of it.

I'll never forget July the 1st 2008. That was the day I was supposed to see Judas Priest live. I bought the ticket in the late december and waited for six months to see my first big heavy metal concert. However, only a couple of hours before the planned time for show to start, we found out that Glen Tipton got sick and was taken to England to have an operation done. I felt sorry for Glen, but I was so desperate - the show I've waited to see for so long got canceled on the date of the gig. I though I'll remember July the 1st as one of the worst dates of my life, but thankfully on that date one year later, I got to see Dream Theater live.  :biggrin:

How on earth is Dreamer Deceiver bland?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2010, 05:04:45 AM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2010, 05:09:00 AM »
Top 5 bands for me definitely.  Discovering all their album in my late teens was pure bliss.  An amazing, amazing band.  Fav albums....let's see;

1. Jugulator
2. Painkiller
3. Defenders of the Faith
4. Ram it Down
5. Sin After Sin
6. Turbo (you read that right)
7. Stained Class

IMO, British Steel, Screaming for Vengeance and Sad Wings of Destiny are the overrated albums by Priest.  All good records, but don't do so much for me like the ones on my list.  I know these are peculiar opinions, but hey.

Although, Dreamer Deceiver is one of their best songs by far.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2010, 05:22:31 AM »
WEEEEE AAAARRRREEEE LOOOOOOOOSSSSSSTTTTT AAAAABOOOOOOOVEEEEEE
BUUUUUUUUT IIIIIIIIF YOOOOOOOUUUUUUU THHHHIIIIIIIINK
YOOOOOOOUUUUUU CAAAAAAAAN FIIIIIIIIIND A WAAAAAAAAAAAAY
YOOOOOOOUUUUUUU CAAAAAAAN SUUUUUUUREEEELLLYYYYY TRRRRRRRYYYYYYY

*Epic as fuck guitar solo*

>My face:

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2010, 05:29:56 AM »
That really is an epic song, Glen's solo is orgasmic.  Rob....well he is just Rob!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2010, 06:30:23 AM »
Big fan here, very hard to pick a fave album but probably same general album ranking as Seventh Son. Tipton has played some all-time-great solos and Halford's screams in the '70s . . .  :omg:

Offline Mladen

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2010, 06:43:49 AM »
How on earth is Dreamer Deceiver bland?
Because I find it bland. Nothing about it attracts me.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2010, 06:50:40 AM »
Big fan here, very hard to pick a fave album but probably same general album ranking as Seventh Son. Tipton has played some all-time-great solos and Halford's screams in the '70s . . .  :omg:

Glenn is criminally underrated as a guitar player.  He does not just play a solo, he writes a song within the song.  One of the best guitar soloists of all time.  His work is so damn memorable.  Check out;

Dreamer Deceiver
Touch of Evil
Beyond the Realms of Death
Here Come the Tears
Close to You
Heavy Metal
All Guns Blazing
Prisoner of Your Eyes

Tasty, tasty player.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2010, 07:56:43 AM »
wolfking, you have Turbo above Stained Class, British Steel, Screaming for Vengeance and Sad Wings of Destiny?  I am literally at a loss for words. :eek :eek

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2010, 09:12:23 AM »
I don't have any priest albums, but I do have a small collection of songs (Painkiller, Hellion/Electric Eye, and Breaking the Law).  I'm checking out the specific songs people have mentioned in this thread.  Priest is pretty good from what I've heard, so I'll figure out which album I want to start with from those songs.  I definitely understand how they influenced Maiden.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2010, 09:18:54 AM »
Les Binks was the fucking Man.

Unleashed in the East
Sad Wings of Destiny
Stained Class
Sin After Sin
Screaming For Vengeance
Defenders of the Faith
Rocka Rolla
Point of Entry
British Steele
Hell Bent For Leather
Everything else

Rocka Rolla was a much better album than people give credit.  Aside from Run of the Mill, a masterpiece in my opinion, Winter/Deep Freeze/Winter Retreat is fantastic, as is Dying to Meet you/Hero Hero.  Plus, the flow of all the short songs gives the album great continuity. 

And howabout some pretty rare video:
Exciter 1978
White Heat, Red Hot 1978
Beyond the Realms of Death 1978
Diamonds and Rust 1978
Starbreaker 1978
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2010, 09:54:28 AM »
Oh yeah. Stained Class is a wicked album as well.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2010, 10:14:12 AM »
I do like Judas Priest, but I've never been crazy about them. I actually never got any of the Ripper albums, or both of the latest Halford/Priest ones..

They were really stuck with a sub par drummer, Dave Holland, for so long. I feel it really held them back. The impact of Scott Travis on Painkiller proves it. (I've often wondered what Travis could do with Iron Maiden..)

I took these:
Providence Civic Center
June 4, 1986
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2010, 10:22:22 AM »
They were really stuck with a sub par drummer, Dave Holland, for so long. I feel it really held them back. The impact of Scott Travis on Painkiller proves it. (I've often wondered what Travis could do with Iron Maiden..)

Firing Les Binks to replace him with Dave Holland was quite possibly the worst personnel move in rock history. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2010, 10:37:32 AM »
Which one was the pedophile? Anyway, I owned all of Priest's albums for many years and just got rid of them last year because I never actually listened to more than a couple. (Painkiller and Sceaming for Vengeance) I saw the 'Remasters Box Set' and scooped it up. I liked to collect things and I really liked that box but I just didn't need it anymore. Judas Priest has many great songs but they also have alot of crap songs. Something I was proud of about the box is I had Killing Machine :metal I didn't really like it though :lol And one more thing: Iron Maiden > Judas Priest :P

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2010, 10:39:00 AM »
I really like Judas Priest but sadly have not listened to them very much. British Steel is probably my favorite album.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.