Author Topic: New Simon Collins - Becoming Human  (Read 1032 times)

Offline HOF

New Simon Collins - Becoming Human
« on: July 14, 2020, 10:13:16 AM »
For those who might have liked Sound of Contact, this track seems to pick up more or less where that left off. Looks like the album will be released on 9/4/20.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR2N3UVXyyqXSeQJac6E6Kn2WrFO2istNqnRjrSvINdwC-WSgWLUIU6ISwc&feature=emb_logo&v=u38qTp9McAM

From the description under the video:

“Of the album, Simon says, "This body of work reflects a deep, wild existential journey and sonic evolution. The soundscape explores a progressive fusion of electronic and rock Influences, a cross-pollination of genres melding space atmospheres and ambient moods with progressive pop song craft, creating a futuristic progressive sounding album."

Guest musicians on the album include original Sound Of Contact guitarist Kelly Avril Nordstrom, the outstanding bass player Gaz Williams, and lastly guitarist Robin Boult. Robbie also brought his bespoke keyboard and sound design to the mix. Simon plays some keys too, along with drums and of course, all vocals. Being Phil Collins’ son, Simon naturally gravitated towards the drums as a child. "It's part of my musical DNA," he says.

"Robbie and I collaborated on many of the songs, the album also features co-writes with Dave Kerzner and Kelly Avril Nordstrom on songs I initially brought to the mountain of material earmarked for the second "Sound of Contact" album," adds Simon.”

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Re: New Simon Collins - Becoming Human
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 10:21:29 AM »
Good for him, man! Sound of Contact's Dimensionaut has to go down as one of the best prog "one-hit wonders" out there, certainly in recent times. Looks like he's got his life back on track at least enough to produce this album.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 01:27:22 PM »
Oooh!   Does that mean Sound Of Contact is back off?  It was on, then off, then on again... that's last I heard.

I'm a sort of closet Robin Boult fan; a lot of the Fish I like was written by him. 

Offline HOF

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 02:19:31 PM »
I kind of lost track of what was going on with Sound of Contact, but it sounds like whatever material they might have worked up for a second album might be getting used here, so I’m guessing they are off for good at this point.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 04:19:07 AM »
Yes, especially as Dave Kerzner has released several albums since, either solo or with his In Continuum project.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 11:09:07 AM »
Digging this album a lot. Very synth-rock and very catchy hooks.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 04:45:56 PM »
I loved the Dimensionaut album. I might give this album a go.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2023, 09:55:25 AM »
Just picked this album up for 5 bucks based on Simon's lineage alone. I'm so glad I did. This is honestly one of the best albums I have heard in a long time.

Ran out and got some more of his stuff, except two albums are quite hard to find. Resorted to downloading, which I hate, the one that is super rare. Just found another one for the bargain price of $30!

Wasn't blown away by his debut album. Time for Truth had its moments but not many so I'm glad I didn't splurge on that one. Waiting for U-Catostrophe in the mail.

Also just got Sound of Contact and was kind of blown away. I feel that has such a Genesis feel to it. Oddly enough, Becoming Human has a very Phil Collins feel. That's filling a void for that music.

Waiting on eMolecule in the mail.  Listened to some interviews and Simon sounds a bit whacko. Turns out a lot of these beautiful songs are based on odd conspiracy theories that he believes in. I'll probably stop checking interviews out and just enjoy the music.

Offline HOF

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2023, 10:18:51 AM »
Waiting on eMolecule in the mail.  Listened to some interviews and Simon sounds a bit whacko. Turns out a lot of these beautiful songs are based on odd conspiracy theories that he believes in. I'll probably stop checking interviews out and just enjoy the music.

Yeah, I get the feeling he’s a very odd duck and maybe a little bit difficult to work with. The concepts on his recent albums have been pretty far out there.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2023, 10:39:20 AM »
And not to make light of his drug addiction which he has been open about, but during the interviews he consistently makes a big sniffing noise, probably from nasal problems from snorting all the coke.

It's kinda sad because he seemed pretty cool. Very grateful to the interviewer for his words and picking up on themes. Talked about how cool Chester Thompson was and how he taught him more on the drums than his dad did. Then he starts talking about global conspiracies.

Opinions on his earlier albums?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2023, 11:48:29 AM »
Huh.  That's all news to me.  I always wondered why it was Nick and not Simon doing the "Genesis" duty but that explains a lot, doesn't it?  I can't imagine Tony and Mike being receptive to a personality like that for a Genesis tour (which by all accounts is and has been for some time, a precision, but familial, operation, almost completely devoid of drama or rock star lunacy).

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2023, 01:23:41 PM »
Becoming Human is a phenomenal album.

I've had a hard time with E-molekule: the highs are very high and can be compared to Becoming Human but the lows are pretty bad imo. A bit off...