Author Topic: Your Dream Concert, With DT As The Headliner. Which Bands Would It Include?  (Read 4892 times)

Offline adamack

Re: Your Dream Concert, With DT As The Headliner. Which Bands Would It Include?
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2013, 02:30:56 PM »
I can second your sentiment of them being awesome live. They opened for Sonata Arctica the last time I saw them, and they were awesome. It was Annette who was singing then...I personally liked Tarja and I like Floor better, but it was still really good.
Cool! I'm happy about Floor joining, she has this powerful voice and can do anything (plus, country mate haha). Sonata Arctica is also high on my favorite list.

Yeah, she turned out to be such a great replacement!

And that's awesome to find another SA fan. It has been really interesting to listen to the way they've evolved over the years. They have really been able to keep things exciting and keep their unique sound. Was just listening to the Wildfire trilogy of songs earlier...so awesome.

Riverside - 1.5 hours

Have any recommendations for Riverside albums/songs? Also, any standout live performances? Decided to YouTube them after I saw your post and I'm really liking what I hear so far.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2013, 08:16:22 PM »
Have any recommendations for Riverside albums/songs? Also, any standout live performances? Decided to YouTube them after I saw your post and I'm really liking what I hear so far.
Not to take this thread off topic, but since you asked, here are some of my favorites:
Beyond the Eyelids
I Believe
Second Life Syndrome
Hybrid Times <----- the ONLY time I actually thought a blast beat was appropriate in a song (time stamp 8:33)

There's a lot of other songs I could recommend, but these are some of my favorites. Definitely a band worth checking out - they quickly became one of my favorites. To get a taste of them live, look up Riverside Live at Paradiso - there was a webcast that was on a website for a while. It's been pulled down since, but you can find it in the usual location.  ;)

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming...
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2013, 10:01:36 PM »
Quote from: Enalya link=topic=39698.msg1706837#msg1706837 date=1383304576
[quote author=Scorpion link=topic=39698.msg1706696#msg1706696 date=1383270327
1st Opener: Wintersun (45 minutes) - as long as they play "Winter Madness", "Death and the Healing", "Sons of Winter and Stars" and "Land of Snow and Sorrow", I'd be happy already - which leaves us about ten minutes to go.

Yeay, finally another Wintersun fan :metal I would add Sleeping Stars to this.
[/quote]

Ooh, good catch, would act great as a balance between the longer and faster songs. In fact, I'd say this setlist would probably be pretty awesome.

0. When Times Fades Away (into tape)
1. Sons of Winter and Stars
2. Death and the Healing
3. Sleeping Stars
4. Land of Snow and Sorrow
5. Winter Madness
6. Time

(which would be too long already, but fuck it. I had forgotten "Time" earlier, but there's no way I can't have them play that on a wish setlist gig!)
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2013, 12:27:18 AM »
I like your Finnish music taste!!  :tup   ;)

Hehe, can you find yourself in that?
Until DT it was mostly Scandinavian and European metal for me.

I'm a Finn myself so it's nice see some love for us! And I have talked with Kai Hahto a couple of times. :)
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline kneepel

« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2013, 01:08:56 AM »
Dream Theater
Between The Buried And Me
Opeth
Soilwork
Dillinger Escape Plan

Offline Enalya

« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2013, 03:55:12 AM »
And that's awesome to find another SA fan. It has been really interesting to listen to the way they've evolved over the years. They have really been able to keep things exciting and keep their unique sound. Was just listening to the Wildfire trilogy of songs earlier...so awesome.
Agreed, but sometimes it's too 'soft' and cheesy for me, I had to adjust myself to Stones Grow Her Name. It had to grow (huehue) on me. Wildfire trilogy, I love it!

Ooh, good catch, would act great as a balance between the longer and faster songs. In fact, I'd say this setlist would probably be pretty awesome.

0. When Times Fades Away (into tape)
1. Sons of Winter and Stars
2. Death and the Healing
3. Sleeping Stars
4. Land of Snow and Sorrow
5. Winter Madness
6. Time

(which would be too long already, but fuck it. I had forgotten "Time" earlier, but there's no way I can't have them play that on a wish setlist gig!)
Wow, exactly the same for me now. Lets setup this concert together :>

I'm a Finn myself so it's nice see some love for us! And I have talked with Kai Hahto a couple of times. :)
I see, the Finnish seem to be such gentle people :) Kai is a good example of that, awesome!

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2013, 04:24:23 AM »
Gordon Knot -both albums
Cynic- CBA and other songs
Gentle Giant
Dream Theater

Offline moof

« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2013, 04:52:30 AM »
I'm afraid I just can't stick to 3 opening acts!

Circus Maximus: Start the night off with a bang. As long as they play Burn After reading I'll be happy. 60 mins.

Leprous: one of my favourite bands right now. Coal hasn't left the CD player in my car since I got the cd about 6 months ago. 60 mins.

Haken: I'd love them to be higher up the list but I'm afraid the next two bands would need more time because of their vast discographies. 90 mins.

DTP: devin is just ace, isn't he? He can play ZTO from start to finish and add in whatever else he likes. 120 mins

Opeth: Now that Mikael is screaming again they can do an epic set of a lot of the older stuff, they can throw in some Heritage by all means. 120 mins

DT: can't think of a better band in the world to headline this lot. Absolute goliaths of progressive and heavy music. 180 mins.

That's one hell of a festival line up. Loving the shouts for Wintersun as well, they are brilliant.

Online krands85

« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2013, 06:31:42 AM »
For a full-on prog metal marathon, I'd have:

2.30pm - Bad Salad - 1 hour
4.00pm - Haken - 1 hour 30
5.30-6.30pm - Dinner break ;D
6.30pm - Symphony X - 1 hour 30
8.30pm - Dream Theater - 2 hours 30
11pm - Everyone collapses on the floor through exhaustion  :lol

Or one for non-prog metal bands I haven't seen (aside from DT) but would love to:

Tool
Iron Maiden
Metallica
Dream Theater

:metal
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline philmcson

« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2013, 06:52:28 AM »
Hmmmm, good question....

1. Gojira (45 min): progressive death metal for us DT admirers who like some growls and blast beats. They could also perform ANTR to make named elements sound perfect  :lol

2. PSMS (1 h 15 min): including the part of ACOS they've played while touring

3. Tool (1 h 30 min): maybe with a song or two of the upcoming album

4. DT w/ MP (1 h 15 min): perform the 12 SS in its entirety and add the Instrumedley

5. DT w/ MM (2h 15 min): a shortened version of "A night with...."

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2013, 07:21:12 AM »
^Shit, yours is great  :o

I'd go for the following:

Anathema (1 h)

Riverside (1h)

Porcupine Tree (45 min)

Steven Wilson (1 h)

Dream Theater (2h 30min)

With Anathema starting at sunset, which would make for a lovely setting.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2013, 07:27:05 AM »
Speedway Boulevard - 30 minutes
Winter Rose - 45 minutes
James LaBrie - 90 minutes

Intermission where they will screen Spinal Tap

Dream Theater - 2:30 hours
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2013, 10:27:05 AM »
I'm going to attempt to shoot for a bill that actually, in theory at least, happen. No bands that are much bigger than DT opening for them, and also I am shooting for bands that I haven't seen with DT or that have toured with them as far as I know.  It is also fairly close to the truth that the bill for the first Prog Nation tour was as close to a perfect concert with DT as a headliner as you can get for me.

Band 1: Tesseract (30 minutes.) Now that these guys have ditched the harsh vocals fully, perfect choice for an opener.

Band 2: Obscura (45 minutes) Bit of an outside the box choice here, but they have enough mad skills as musicians to overcome any resistance to Obscura being a tech-death band.

Band 3: Cynic (45 minutes.) You can flip them with Obscura if you like.

Band 4: DT (2 hours.)
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2013, 11:15:30 AM »
Opening act: The Birthday Massacre (45 min)
Band 1: The Dear Hunter (2 hours)
Band 2: Queensryche (2 hours)
Band 3: Dream Theater (3 hours)

After party: will.I.am spinning tunes at the Playboy mansion

Offline adamack

« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2013, 11:24:03 AM »
Not to take this thread off topic, but since you asked, here are some of my favorites:
Beyond the Eyelids
I Believe
Second Life Syndrome
Hybrid Times <----- the ONLY time I actually thought a blast beat was appropriate in a song (time stamp 8:33)

There's a lot of other songs I could recommend, but these are some of my favorites. Definitely a band worth checking out - they quickly became one of my favorites. To get a taste of them live, look up Riverside Live at Paradiso - there was a webcast that was on a website for a while. It's been pulled down since, but you can find it in the usual location.  ;)

Great...thanks! I'm going to watch their concert at Paradiso later tonight. I've been trying to find new music by watching a concert of a different band every night. Looking for new music, and these guys sound really cool.

For a full-on prog metal marathon, I'd have:

2.30pm - Bad Salad - 1 hour
4.00pm - Haken - 1 hour 30
5.30-6.30pm - Dinner break ;D
6.30pm - Symphony X - 1 hour 30
8.30pm - Dream Theater - 2 hours 30
11pm - Everyone collapses on the floor through exhaustion  :lol

:metal

This list makes perfect sense. These bands would sound perfect with each other. I like the duration of each band's performance too.  :metal

Agreed, but sometimes it's too 'soft' and cheesy for me, I had to adjust myself to Stones Grow Her Name. It had to grow (huehue) on me. Wildfire trilogy, I love it!
[/quote]

Yes definitely...Stones Grow Her Name seems very experimental at times. Perfect example....Cinderblox with that country vibe.  :o 

I didn't really like the album much at first but I've grown to appreciate it. It's still not my fav from them, but still very worthy.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2013, 12:48:57 PM »
Any one of these bands opening for DT would be incredible:

Coheed and Cambria
Animals As Leaders
Periphery
Twelve Foot Ninja
Alter Bridge
The Aristocrats
Tremonti
Flying Colors
Transatlantic

I know MP would probably refuse to ever open for DT, but it would still be a dream for one of those bands to open.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios