Author Topic: How Important are Lyrics to You?  (Read 15049 times)

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
Re: How Important are Lyrics to You?
« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2010, 02:06:45 PM »
Not important at all, Unless it's rap. I listen to music for the music, lyrics are like the cherry on top.

So you must be realy moved when you hear about T & A and bling. ;D

:facepalm:

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2010, 02:24:05 PM »
Why not just read poems if you like lyrics...  ::)

This is probably the stupidest post I have ever read on this site.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2010, 03:09:03 PM »
That is true though. Music can give poetry life.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: July 05, 2010, 03:21:50 PM »
Don't give a rat's ass about the lyrics but care a great deal about the vocal melody.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #74 on: July 05, 2010, 03:27:55 PM »
^Exactly, also delivery is important. You could have awesome lyrics with a delivery that doesn't suit the song.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: July 05, 2010, 04:03:46 PM »
A while ago I didn't care so much about the lyrical content but over the past 3-4 years I've found a lot of great bands with some amazing lyrics and it really took my listening experience to another level.

So the short end of it is, lyrics are really important to me, I don't listen to a lot of bands I used to because of piss pour lyrics. (A lot of new DT)

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #76 on: July 05, 2010, 04:07:02 PM »
A while ago I didn't care so much about the lyrical content but over the past 3-4 years I've found a lot of great bands with some amazing lyrics and it really took my listening experience to another level.

So the short end of it is, lyrics are really important to me, I don't listen to a lot of bands I used to because of piss pour lyrics. (A lot of new DT)

I still listen to music that has shit lyrics (a lot of classic rock bands), but like you said, when you find great music that has equally good lyrics, it just adds a whole new layer to the listening experience.  :tup

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #77 on: July 05, 2010, 04:34:45 PM »
They can make a good song great.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #78 on: July 05, 2010, 10:39:33 PM »

I have a lot of bands I listen to, and honestly, there is a threshold where you can't look up the lyrics to every song in your library. Looking up the lyrics to about 10,000 songs would drive me crazy.
If a good enough percentage of the lyrics isn't reasonably discernible enough for you to get a sense of the quality of a song's lyrics by ear, it's not worth listening to, simple as that. There are exceptions, I suppose, but again, very few. Lyrics are extremely important to me, but I'll usually only look them up once they really start to interest me or impress me.

So, if the singer is so high pitched that its nearly impossible to know what they are saying, its bad? I guess I should feel bad for loving Rush in that case. And I love Rush for their music, not the lyrics. Honestly, Neil Peart's lyrics are very mediocre to me, but I love Rush regardless. And I love Death/Black Metal despite having rather underwhelming lyrical prowess (Atheist is probably the lone exception to this rule, but w/e).
I have 2112, and I have no problem telling what Geddy Lee is saying, at least on that album. And I used to have the two albums before that on tape, and most of it was perfectly comprehensible stuff, even in his singing style.

If I can't understand a decent amount of what the singer is singing, I'm discouraged from going any further.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #79 on: July 05, 2010, 10:43:30 PM »

I have a lot of bands I listen to, and honestly, there is a threshold where you can't look up the lyrics to every song in your library. Looking up the lyrics to about 10,000 songs would drive me crazy.
If a good enough percentage of the lyrics isn't reasonably discernible enough for you to get a sense of the quality of a song's lyrics by ear, it's not worth listening to, simple as that. There are exceptions, I suppose, but again, very few. Lyrics are extremely important to me, but I'll usually only look them up once they really start to interest me or impress me.

So, if the singer is so high pitched that its nearly impossible to know what they are saying, its bad? I guess I should feel bad for loving Rush in that case. And I love Rush for their music, not the lyrics. Honestly, Neil Peart's lyrics are very mediocre to me, but I love Rush regardless. And I love Death/Black Metal despite having rather underwhelming lyrical prowess (Atheist is probably the lone exception to this rule, but w/e).
I have 2112, and I have no problem telling what Geddy Lee is saying, at least on that album. And I used to have the two albums before that on tape, and most of it was perfectly comprehensible stuff, even in his singing style.

If I can't understand a decent amount of what the singer is singing, I'm discouraged from going any further.

And I can't understand anything he says outside of a few words here and there. Doesn't change the fact that 2112 is an awesome song and I love Geddy's voice, but the lyrics don't mean that much to me. I honestly think Neil is overrated as a lyricist, personally. I love his drumming and have a lot of respect for him, but reading his lyrics, they only come off as "decent" at best.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #80 on: July 06, 2010, 11:37:14 AM »
Soulja Boy.   :facepalm:

If ever there was a reason lyrics should be important, he is why.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2010, 11:41:13 AM »
*doesn't read thread*

Lyrics can block my like for a song if they're against what I believe. It's because I usually would like to connect to a song I am giving my time to listen to. I don't want to connect to stuff that is against my faith.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2010, 12:31:31 PM »
Lyrics aren't nearly as important as the music.  You can have shitty lyrics/good music and it's still listenable.
Good lyrics/shitty music?  Uuuh.........NO!
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2010, 12:33:07 PM »
Lyrics aren't nearly as important as the music.  You can have shitty lyrics/good music and it's still listenable.

Good lyrics and good music > bad lyrics and good music.

Therefore, lyrics are, on the surface, important.  How important they are as compared to the music is an entirely different conversation.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2010, 01:44:16 PM »
Not really. because the vocals are an instrument. Chronic Future, don't know if you know them, have great lyrics but some of their music i don't like, it's just not my style. Power Metal is my favorite genre now, and their lyrics are sometimes cheesy but Damn the music rocks. To me it's how they are delivered. 

fluffy's view is how most people listen to music, that i know and chatted with. which seems like you don't grasp the music as much.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2010, 03:08:49 PM »
Interesting discussion. Something I’ve waffled over myself. I generally say lyrics are not that important, in the sense that I don’t select my music based on the lyrics, and I don’t not listen to music based on the lyrics. But over time I have come to realize I will respond to different lyrics differently, whereas the music used to solely guide my musical tastes.

I think the biggest thing for me is that when I listen to something new, I process the lyrics last. The first couple of listens I am focused more on the music, structure, and melodies. If those don’t hold my interest, I move on. If they do, lyrics I enjoy will either enhance my enjoyment of the music, lyrics I don’t will bring the song down a notch, but never to the point that I’ll stop listening to the music.

But I am also more concerned with how lyrics work within the context of a song more than how they are read. People have brought up TCoT, and yes if I read those lyrics I would think a 5th grader wrote them for a class assignment. But within the context of the song, which is the only way I judge them, they work fine for me.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #86 on: July 06, 2010, 03:48:43 PM »

Good lyrics and good music > bad lyrics and good music.

Obviously, but not my point.

Therefore, lyrics are, on the surface, important.  How important they are as compared to the music is an entirely different conversation.

There are only 2 forms of communication in a song.  Lyrics and music.  The thread title says "How important are lyrics to you?"
Well, to me, music speaks louder than lyrics.  Therefore, lyrics aren't as important as the music (which isn't to say they aren't important).
What else would you compare it to?  Music makes or breaks a song.  Lyrics?  Not necessarily.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2010, 04:58:14 PM »
*doesn't read thread*

Lyrics can block my like for a song if they're against what I believe. It's because I usually would like to connect to a song I am giving my time to listen to. I don't want to connect to stuff that is against my faith.

I can listen to Dream Theater songs that are obviously Pro-Christian. The kicker? I'm not a Christian! Quite a few Black Sabbath songs are obviously Pro-Christian (After Forever, anyone?) and I still enjoy them, despite not believing in the same faith. I personally think that not listening to something because the lyrics don't agree with your faith is silly. Just because you listen to it isn't going to convert you against what you believe, just as me listening to Voices, Lines in the Sand, Trial of Tears or the other numerous pro-christian songs Dream Theater has doesn't suddenly convert me either.

But whatever, I don't pay much attention to lyrics, what do I know?  ::)

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #88 on: July 06, 2010, 10:19:50 PM »
I can listen to Dream Theater songs that are obviously Pro-Christian. The kicker? I'm not a Christian! Quite a few Black Sabbath songs are obviously Pro-Christian (After Forever, anyone?) and I still enjoy them, despite not believing in the same faith. I personally think that not listening to something because the lyrics don't agree with your faith is silly. Just because you listen to it isn't going to convert you against what you believe, just as me listening to Voices, Lines in the Sand, Trial of Tears or the other numerous pro-christian songs Dream Theater has doesn't suddenly convert me either.

I mean, good for you, but it's something I take seriously; it's not "silly", as you said.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2010, 10:26:00 PM »

I mean, good for you, but it's something I take seriously; it's not "silly", as you said.

Well, its probably because I don't look into lyrics that much with a few exceptions. There are a few bands that have good lyrics, but honestly, less than 1% of all bands out there have lyrics I would call "good" and limiting myself to just bands that fit that criteria would seriously limit what I listen to so I think its silly to think that way. Not to mention if I only listened to things that fit what I believed, my library would be much smaller than what it is, and I seriously doubt I'd be listening to Dream Theater if I thought that way.

I'm just saying, you limit what music you can listen to by doing that, and there is so much good music in the world to listen to. It just seems silly to me. You could spend your whole life looking for more music and never listen to all the good bands in the world.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #90 on: July 06, 2010, 10:27:45 PM »
fluffy's view is how most people listen to music, that i know and chatted with. which seems like you don't grasp the music as much.
Okay then.

I just see no point in wasting my time listening to music that is either incomprehensible or glaringly shitty in one (to me) very important aspect. Vocals and lyrics I don't enjoy, or can't at least tolerate, are just not negotiable.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #91 on: July 06, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »

There are only 2 forms of communication in a song.  Lyrics and music.  The thread title says "How important are lyrics to you?"
Well, to me, music speaks louder than lyrics.  Therefore, lyrics aren't as important as the music (which isn't to say they aren't important).
What else would you compare it to?  Music makes or breaks a song.  Lyrics?  Not necessarily.

Lyrics and music are not necessarily two separate entities.  Sometimes, the two blend together seamlessly to make a terrific song, and when that happens, it reminds me of how important lyrics are.  :tup :tup

Okay, no one said that, so save that playing the victim stuff for another time, okay? :biggrin:

As for listening to lyrics that don't jive with your own belief system, I have no problem with that at all.  Shoot, I am a believer, and Rush is my favorite band, so do the math. ;)  Songs like "Freewill" or "BU2B" don't bother me in the least, despite the fact that Neil Peart's stance as a non-believer comes across loud and clear.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #92 on: July 06, 2010, 10:41:12 PM »

Lyrics and music are not necessarily two separate entities.  Sometimes, the two blend together seamlessly to make a terrific song, and when that happens, it reminds me of how important lyrics are.  :tup :tup

Okay, no one said that, so save that playing the victim stuff for another time, okay? :biggrin:

As for listening to lyrics that don't jive with your own belief system, I have no problem with that at all.  Shoot, I am a believer, and Rush is my favorite band, so do the math. ;)  Songs like "Freewill" or "BU2B" don't bother me in the least, despite the fact that Neil Peart's stance as a non-believer comes across loud and clear.

I seemed to be getting a bit of heat from my stance that I don't consider lyrics nearly as important as the music, so that's why I said that.

I'll repeat myself, I have no issues with someone being whatever religion/spirituality they want, I just think its silly that you limit yourself to bands that only repeat the same things you believe. I just think that limits the potential amount of music you can enjoy, and as I said before, there is just SO much good music to be had out there. You can make it your life's goal to listen to everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING that is good, and you still won't be able to do it.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #93 on: July 06, 2010, 10:45:47 PM »
If there's as much good music out there as you say, then people can limit themselves by whatever criteria they deem desirable and they'll still have tons of music to listen to.

And I agree that there's that much good music out there. All the more reason not to bother with stuff that's flawed.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2010, 05:46:33 AM »

Well, its probably because I don't look into lyrics that much with a few exceptions. There are a few bands that have good lyrics, but honestly, less than 1% of all bands out there have lyrics I would call "good" and limiting myself to just bands that fit that criteria would seriously limit what I listen to so I think its silly to think that way. Not to mention if I only listened to things that fit what I believed, my library would be much smaller than what it is, and I seriously doubt I'd be listening to Dream Theater if I thought that way.

I'm just saying, you limit what music you can listen to by doing that, and there is so much good music in the world to listen to. It just seems silly to me. You could spend your whole life looking for more music and never listen to all the good bands in the world.

There's a difference between lyrics going against your faith and lyrics fitting in with your beliefs.

As for me, I think I'm the same as a few people here.  Bad lyrics won't detract from my enjoyment of a song, but great lyrics can make a good song even better.  The only variable is if the lyrics are blatantly anti-God or Christianity.  But, I'm not wanting to take this thread down that road.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2010, 05:50:32 AM »

There's a difference between lyrics going against your faith and lyrics fitting in with your beliefs.

He said himself that he would only listen to songs that fit in with his beliefs.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #96 on: July 07, 2010, 05:55:36 AM »

He said himself that he would only listen to songs that fit in with his beliefs.

*doesn't read thread*

I don't think he did?

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #97 on: July 07, 2010, 06:06:53 AM »

*doesn't read thread*

I don't think he did?

Well, if you refuse to listen to something outside your faith, then you're left with stuff that is in your faith.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #98 on: July 07, 2010, 06:08:25 AM »
Nah, I'm fairly sure there is a huge middle ground.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #99 on: July 07, 2010, 03:33:20 PM »
James means he won't listen to songs that challenge his faith. However, most songs don't. Since like 98% of all songs are about relationships with women gone bad, I'd say he's pretty much in the clear.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2010, 03:48:53 PM »
I was thinking in more black and white terms, forgive me >_>

Offline Adami

« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2010, 04:04:42 PM »
I was thinking in more black and white terms, forgive me >_>

Racist.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #102 on: July 07, 2010, 04:19:44 PM »

I don't care if it limits me or not. You have to get over the fact that someone views music differently than you do. And for the record, I have plenty of good music to listen to, Christian and secular.

Offline Adami

« Reply #103 on: July 07, 2010, 04:33:13 PM »
Hey James, I got a great cd called "Why christianity is the wrong religion" by a band called "The Real God".

Want me to burn copy it for you?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: July 07, 2010, 04:33:32 PM »
Or maybe I care about the music much more so than the lyrics?
So, really, vocalists in the bands you like might as well just sing wordless vocals, right?  I mean, if you don't care about the lyrics at all, it
wouldn't matter to you if they weren't singing any actual ones, right?
Also being the case, do you have any music you listen to that you like from other countries, meaning they sing in their native tongue and not English or any language you speak/understand? There's LOADS of great music out there (more than I'll ever know) from parts of the world where they don't sing in English... I think that'd be perfect for people who don't care so much about lyrics.

-Marc.
I recommend listening to Shakira's second album, Pies Descalzos. The music and the lyrics are just phenomenal. Now she's singing about how her hips tell the truth and about gypsies. Lame.

Edit: And also, Atom Heart Mother, bad music and terrible lyrics by a great band. Notice something?