Author Topic: Cloud Cult v. Metamorphosis (rel 3/4/22)  (Read 3162 times)

Offline SoundscapeMN

Cloud Cult v. Metamorphosis (rel 3/4/22)
« on: July 02, 2010, 06:00:33 PM »
Anyone else a fan of this band? This is their new album.

1. The Mission: Unexplainable Stories
2. The Departure: Today We Give Ourselves to the Fire
3. The Invocation (p.1) - You'll Be Bright
4. The Birth
5. The Baby - You Were Born
6. The Lessons - Exploding People
7. The Interference
8. The Battles - Room Full of People in Your Head
9. The Escape - Running With the Wolves
10. The Acceptance - Responsible
11. The Surrender - Guessing Game
12. The Strength - Forces of the Unseen
13. The Invocation (p.2) - Blessings
14. The Awakening - Dawn
15. The Contact
16. The Arrival - There's So Much Energy In Us

Bolded are probably my favorite parts thus far.

It went on sale digitally on Tuesday. Hardcopies are coming in September.

I have played it twice now, and am rather impressed, even with some optimism after finally getting into them a couple of years ago with "Feel Good Ghosts." I am thinking this new record, pretty easily is better than that album, which I still enjoy a fair amount.
The thing is rather cohesive, conceptual, and dare I say progressive. Finally there is a MINNESOTA band doing the indie-prog thing, and doing it well.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 04:36:48 PM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
Re: Cloud Cult - Light Chasers
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 02:52:26 AM »
Bumping this thread because this album cannot possibly get enough love.

I've heard over fifty albums from 2010, and this easily tops the list as my favorite as of yet -- even over albums by favorite bands of mine, such as Pain of Salvation, 65daysofstatic, Coheed and Cambria and Avenged Sevenfold. They just don't compare to this.

My favorite songs so far are Forces Of The Unseen, Room Full Of People In Your Head, Unexplainable Stories, Responsible, Blessings and There's So Much Energy In Us. Some still need to grow on me, but there's something I like in every song.

The thing is rather cohesive, conceptual, and dare I say progressive.

I agree with this too, the concept is pretty cool, it's fun deciphering all the metaphors and the finer details of the concept - though it quite simply just seems to be the story of a man's life, presented in a way that makes it sound like it's a pretentious sci-fi concept album, even though I don't think it really is at all :P

This is the only album I've heard from Cloud Cult. I don't expect the rest of their albums to be this same style, but I'm still interested in checking them out. Any recommendations?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 03:03:25 AM by Arcaeus »

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 05:19:51 PM »
try their last album
Feel Good Ghosts (Tea-Partying Through Tornadoes)

I honestly haven't heard their whole back catalog beyond that. I have checked 1 other, "Advice From the Happy Hippopotamus" and while there was some good work on it, I recall, at least the version I checked out (a remaster/anniversary edition perhaps) was like 29 tracks long or something. Some of it was live. It was a lot more hit and miss than FGG was (the only other album I knew by them).

That album is also the highest rated on rym among their older work. But they have 4 others:

Who Killed Puck?
They Live On the Sun
Aurora Borealis
The Meaning of 8

The Meaning of 8 is probably the next one I want to checkout given it preceded FGG, so it probably resembles that and Lightchasers the most.  But after really enjoying Lightchasers, I probably will try and make more of an effort to know their whole catalog. They even have a cool new DVD documentary on the making of some or maybe all of their records.

Sadly, I still have yet to see them live, and they play a lot in my hometown. I will eventually, I just try and avoid 1st Ave if I can, which it seems is where they always play now.

I also read something recently about how long the hours and effort that went into the making of Lightchasers. I totally follow why, as it's very layered and well-thought out. Other than maybe The River Empires, I don't think another album from 2010 I have heard has had so much thought and time put into it. I really hope the band receives the payoff for all that time and hardwork.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 04:34:11 PM »
this album was released this week. More folks may want to check it out now given this fact.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 11:01:33 AM »
bump.

I'm seeing them for the 1st time live, believe it or not, tonight as they do the 2nd of a 2-night stand at Minneapolis 1st Ave. Included with my ticket I received a free Soundcheck pass as well, so I'm kind of making the most of my long overdue Cloud Cult live experience.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 11:28:09 AM »
What kind of music is this? Might check it out.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 01:34:35 PM »
I just downloaded this last night and thought it was pretty good. I need to give it anothe couple of listens to really get a good impression of it. There were definitely some awesome moments that stood out.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 10:04:58 PM »
What kind of music is this? Might check it out.

experimental rock that includes cello, violin, trumpet, trombone, glockenspiel, vocoders, group drumming and vocal choruses. Electronic and acoustic. Electro Baroque chamber pop/rock.

I dunno they're quite good at times. They're kind of like some of these more recent college-rock prog bands like The Decemberists or The Dear Hunter even. But the more I learn about them, the more I realize they are pretty distinct.

I just got back a bit ago from seeing them these guys are a CLASS ACT live. It's a total ENERGY FEST. The whole band sings perfectly in chorus, and every member (other than the drummer) is frequently switching between instruments including single tom drums.

Plus, as I had read about, they have 2 people do these layered pieces of art throughout the whole show.

I would totally endorse seeing them live if you are even on the fence about their studio work.

All these years they've been this big deal in this town, especially live, and I see why now. I really had no clue what I was missing. I am now off to seek out the rest of their catalog that I have yet to hear (4 albums and a documentary film).

the set list show was probably 75% or more from Light Chasers and Feel Good Ghosts. I know they did a couple of tunes off their others. But I guess last night's show was a pretty different set given they knew some fans attended both.

But they have been playing the whole Light Chasers record live at times at least, from what their drummer said. The soundcheck was really nice, they gave everyone free pizza and the chance to talk with the band members. I don't think I've ever had that kind of experience at a concert, especially at a place like First Ave that I often never see the bands before or afterwards. I kind of wish I had gone to the show on Wednesday, but I had a ticket for dredg last night.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 03:47:59 AM »
SoundscapeMN @ that sounds really cool.  :tup
Considering i have you to thank for discovering The River Empires, i will check this out when i have time.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 01:56:41 PM »
I've been listening to this album like crazy the last couple of weeks. Very quirky and addictive. I love it!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 09:08:51 PM »
been taking-in some of their earlier records of late. Today I played "They Live on the Sun"..and it's definitely worth checking out given I enjoy their recent work. It's also rather different. It's weird, it's almost like the 1st part or connected to Light Chasers, given much if not all of it is about metaphorically, Craig Minowa's 1st born/late infant son. So in a way it's a really sad record, including hearing clips of the baby talk.

And it's also a record that is less cohesive/varied. The band were more about texture and experimenting at this time. I also listened to Aurora Borealis the other day, the record that followed. That one is a bit more focused, but still has a lot of random loops, soundclips, textures and things. But both of those albums have some brilliant moments.

I actually think Cloud Cult, namely at that time, remind me of a couple of groups. dredg and Porcupine Tree..even Clann Zu in some ways. They really are diverse and a group whose use of rhythms and drums along with both inner and literal meanings in their music, really stand out.

It's funny, I've slept on them for this long, and their records are it seems all lengthly, epic works, but I really should try and allow more time to digest each and every one of these albums, because they all seem to have a wealth of music to like. They may actually become one of my favorite groups of all-time if that happens.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 01:10:23 PM »
way old bump.

A new album and film were just made called "The Seeker" and the album was released today.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01956X1AK?ie=UTF8&keywords=CLOUD%20CULT%20The%20Seeker&qid=1455307726&ref_=sr_1_1&s=music&sr=1-1

I saw the film the other night in Minneapolis and it was simply Heart Wrenching. All the music was used to tell the story ala The Wall, etc.

I can't get much of the music and the film out of my head right now.

"No Hell" the 1st single.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVUjFDbY1_8

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: Cloud Cult - The Seeker (2016 Album+Film)
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 06:44:32 PM »
Listened to the song you linked; it's fantastic! Definitely interested in hearing the rest of the album.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2016, 08:03:39 AM »
Listened to the first half of the new album last night and I really enjoyed it. Hopefully I'll have time to listen to the whole thing this weekend at some point.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2016, 12:59:10 PM »
It's another great record Nate, but I guess the film itself has made the music that much better/moving I suppose.

The song "You Were Never Alone" has absolutely crushed me over the last couple of days, because there is a scene in the film that shows the main character go through an array of emotions finally seeing her father again.

I don't think I'll ever be able to listen to that song without thinking of that part in the film. It had me in tears in the theater the other night, and it was again yesterday when I was listening to it at work.

I'm not sure if everyone can see this, or just those who pledged to the Campaign, but Craig Minowa wrote a whole thing about it and the clip is shared on the update/page.

https://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/cloudcult/updates/65197

"We’re coming up on the grand finale of our film and album “The Seeker”. As of today, our All Access Pass members now have the full album. Next week, February 12, on the date the album hits record stores, you, our All Access Pass members will also see the final chapter of the film. Thank you for being on this journey with us!

It’s no coincidence that February 12 is not only the release date of the new album “The Seeker”, it would also have been the 16th birthday of our son, Kaidin. We spent a lot of years going through the various stages of the grieving process: There were what we call “the black years” when it was so bad we can’t even remember portions of it. There were the years of gradually climbing up from the bottom and reassembling our broken hearts together. And ultimately, we were able to rebuild to a point where we were overjoyed to get the chance to be parents again. There is an extreme amount of gratitude for what we have now, and we take every chance we can get to count our blessings.

Tragedy, even from this kind of distance, has the unexpected side effect of creating a constant reminder of the preciousness of the present moment, simply because you’re overtly aware of how quickly and unexpectedly things can change. While at once wishing we could travel back in time and hold our boy again, we suck the marrow out of the moments of being able to hug our beautiful kids now. The only thing you are guaranteed is right now.

Speaking of “right now”, let’s take a look at this week’s chapter of “The Seeker”: Einstein proved that space is curved. The universe is not flat, but is an expanding sphere, like a balloon. Physics has also shown us that at the level of quantum mechanics, time does not exist. If you had a strong enough telescope to look far enough out into space until you could see the “end” of the universe, and you removed the illusion of time, you would literally see the back of your head. Take the spiritual journey around the entire sphere of the universe, through the farthest reaches of the Great Unknown, and you end up right here, right now.

In this week’s chapter, our heroine, Grace, has endured the ultimate spiritual pilgrimage through the Great Unknown and what she finds in this realm of the timeless metaphysical is…. well, you’ll just have to see for yourself. Just know that although we all take the journey on our own, you never were alone"

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2019, 10:51:29 AM »
bump.

a Dance group in North Carolina did an interpretive dance to the complete LIGHT CHASERS album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhPvI5lfZG0

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2022, 04:35:47 PM »
bump.

new album "Metamorphosis" coming March 4th.

1st single/video "One Way Out of a Hole"

https://floodmagazine.com/97962/cloud-cult-one-way-out-of-a-hole-premiere/

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Cloud Cult v. Metamorphosis (rel 3/4/22)
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2022, 04:53:49 PM »
That is real nice.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2022, 02:36:07 PM »
Light Chasers live is still up..so good..like many in that live chat, I was in tears at points.

Metamorphosis is up to Preorder Download, and in full it is STREAMING on their site.

https://cloudcult.com/albums

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2023, 07:29:17 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SegwxEDDFOw

nothing amazing from a video standpoint, but I dig this new track which was a Patreon exclusive I guess.