Author Topic: If Dream Theater were around in the Vinyl Age  (Read 2675 times)

Offline darkshade

If Dream Theater were around in the Vinyl Age
« on: July 02, 2010, 01:16:06 PM »
if vinyls were still the most marketable way to play music, but allowed for the same amount of space as a cd, how would you split up Dream Theater albums and why? cause it's the natural halfway point? the first track on the second side would start it off the best? etc... we have to assume each side of vinyl can handle 40 minutes or so of music, since cds can handle 80 (i know vinyls can only do, what, 25 minutes?)

ill start so you guys get an idea

I&W - this one is pretty obvious i think. Side 1 would be from Pull Me Under to Surrounded. Metropolis Pt 1 would start Side 2. It's easily the halfway point, AND would kick off Side 2 well

Another obvious one would be

Scene From A Memory - i think Home would kick off Side 2, as there is no transition from Through Her Eyes into Home. I also, again, find it is the halfway point in the album

there's going to be albums where it's hard to say where the following side would be. SDOIT i think is going to be the most controversial one. i guess in the 70s disc 2 would be one album, but our vinyls for this discussion can handle around 40 minutes of music (but an obvious halfway point would be between TTTSTA and GK)

im curious to see what others have to say

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
Re: If Dream Theater were around in the Vinyl Age
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 01:22:25 PM »
Well, home is after all teh start of Act II :D

Offline darkshade

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 01:24:32 PM »
Well, home is after all teh start of Act II :D

hahaha thats true, i forgot about the scenes and acts in that album

just realized it's been a long time since i listened to Scenes straight through

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 01:25:39 PM »
Same here :O I kinda allways listen from the beginning untill Beyond this life starts, or from hom and forward :P

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 01:58:52 PM »
eh, Through Her Eyes aint THAT bad, at least when listening to the entire album

Another one, with Octavarium. I would have Side 1 go until the end of Never Enough, and Side 2 would just be Sacraficed Sons, and the title track.

BC&SL would go from ANTR through TSF for Side 1 aka Black Clouds (the darker songs)

TBOT and TCOT would be Side 2 aka Silver Linings (the lighter songs)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 02:02:55 PM »
I still remember my older brother buying Awake on cassette back in late '94 (he had yet to upgrade to a CD player :lol), and "Scarred" wasn't even on it!  "Innocence Faded" was moved to where "Scarred" is on the CD, and the sides were broken up in between "The Silent Man" and "The Mirror."

Offline darkshade

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 02:06:09 PM »
I still remember my older brother buying Awake on cassette back in late '94 (he had yet to upgrade to a CD player :lol), and "Scarred" wasn't even on it!  :facepalm:  "Innocence Faded" was moved to where "Scarred" is on the CD, and the sides were broken up in between "The Silent Man" and "The Mirror."

fixed

id probably agree with the 'sides' but definitely NOT with the track order difference.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 03:50:31 PM »
eh, Through Her Eyes aint THAT bad, at least when listening to the entire album

Another one, with Octavarium. I would have Side 1 go until the end of Never Enough, and Side 2 would just be Sacraficed Sons, and the title track.

BC&SL would go from ANTR through TSF for Side 1 aka Black Clouds (the darker songs)

Yeah I truly love Through her eyes too! :O and Beyond this life is pretty good aswell, but that's just the way it is :S I think I'll listen to the whole LSFNY right after I've listened to Neal morse one (Help me/The spirit and the flesh is my fav song now kinda for no reason :S it's just cool)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 11:36:04 AM »
Scenes from a Memory

Side One
Regression
Overture 1928
Strange Deja Vu
Through My Words
Fatal Tragedy

Side Two
Beyond This Life
Through Her Eyes

Side Three
Home
The Dance of Eternity
One Last Time

Side Four
The Spirit Carries On
Finally Free

NOTES: I was originally going to have One Last Time on Side Four, until I remembered that it was part 2 of Scene 7, and hence a continuation of DoE.

-------

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence

Side One
The Glass Prison
Blind Faith

Side Two
Misunderstood
The Great Debate
Disappear

Side Three
6DOIT, parts 1-4 (Overture - The Test That Stumped Them All)

Side Four
6DOIT, parts 5-8 (Goodnight Kiss - Losing Time/Grand Finale)

NOTES: I split 6DOIT at the end of Test because first of all, it is roughly halfway through the song (technically, the return of the main theme during the Goodnight Kiss instrumental is the true halfway point), and secondly, because it's the easiest spot to fade out and in from.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 11:43:22 AM by RoeDent »

Offline robwebster

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 02:03:32 PM »
I seem to remember Mike Portnoy saying that they do try to order the CDs so there's a bit of a clear Side A / Side B split. So he's actually consciously working that in. I think he said Falling Into Infinity is the only one he didn't really manage. Although this was quite a while ago.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 02:08:54 PM »
Isn't there something that guy doesn't think about?  :biggrin:

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 11:46:11 AM »
Awake's side one would go till The Silent Man, and side two would obviously start with The Mirror. I'm not sure where Train of Thought would break and still sound good.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 11:52:00 AM »
Awake's side one would go till The Silent Man, and side two would obviously start with The Mirror. I'm not sure where Train of Thought would break and still sound good.

in b4 ppl sai tot doeznt sound gud lul

Surprised no one has mentioned 8VM yet. Side one would be tracks 1-6, side 2 would be SS and 8VM.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 01:28:58 PM »

in b4 ppl sai tot doeznt sound gud lul

Surprised no one has mentioned 8VM yet. Side one would be tracks 1-6, side 2 would be SS and 8VM.

btw, i think ToT would be split like this. Side A would be As I Am through Honor Thy Father. Side B would be Vacant through In The Name of God