Author Topic: Do You Think Mike Will Ever?  (Read 11989 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Do You Think Mike Will Ever?
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2010, 11:56:33 PM »
Portnoy sings half of the first verse, LaBrie sings the other half, it's a call and response style.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2010, 12:10:11 AM »
Didn't Portnoy sing the entire first verse of The Glass Prison?  As for cookie monster vocals - it's funny because there are some bands that I don't mind it with.  DT is not one of those bands.  The reason, I think, is because it seems contrived.  DT has been known to "try" to sound like certain styles and, I'm sorry, but you really can't "try" to do that whole cookie monster thing.  Either you're a heavy, pissed off band that really means that angry stuff or.... you're not.  Hearing LaBrie trying to sound pissed off and badass is just goofy.  
I agree, both with vocals and with their overall sound. They rarely pull it off when they try to go into "super heavy" mode, in my opinion. It just isn't their strength.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2010, 07:49:39 AM »
Didn't Portnoy sing the entire first verse of The Glass Prison?  

No, he sings every other line, and saying he sang is a bit of a stretch, as it was more like hurried talking than singing.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2010, 11:26:38 AM »
I think it's possible, but his range and tone/etc would have to fit the song. He's a good vocalist, but I think he's fine where he is.