Author Topic: Do You Think Mike Will Ever?  (Read 12051 times)

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
Re: Do You Think Mike Will Ever?
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2010, 06:47:26 PM »
Yeah, but that's what autotune is for.  We aren't talking about pitch.  We're talking about tone and depth.

I don't even know how to respond to this. Wasn't the Wither demo enough to show that autotune doesn't belong in DT? :p

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2010, 07:37:30 PM »
I think one would have to be a bit blue-eyed to think MP's vocals have not received a copious amount of autotune and other goodies.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline CountVoorhees

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2010, 07:41:00 PM »
Do you think Mike will ever use those KrotchRaut stickers?

No.

:(

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2010, 07:46:45 PM »
I think one would have to be a bit blue-eyed to think MP's vocals have not received a copious amount of autotune and other goodies.

rumborak

Maybe, I'm sure a lot of them do, but JP's need for autotune makes it really obvious when it is used. Really obvious, and thus hard for me to listen to, personally.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2010, 12:07:31 AM »

No, I hope after Black Clouds, he steers clear of any sort of vocal unless it's like Octavarium where you can barely hear him say Root, Second, Third etc. etc.

It always kind of disappointed me to hear him attempt growls as it feels unnecessary to their music and sadly feels like he is just trying to fit in with modern metal that I can hear on the radio.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2010, 12:09:04 AM »

No, I hope after Black Clouds, he steers clear of any sort of vocal unless it's like Octavarium where you can barely hear him say Root, Second, Third etc. etc.

It always kind of disappointed me to hear him attempt growls as it feels unnecessary to their music and sadly feels like he is just trying to fit in with modern metal that I can hear on the radio.

I think the main problem is that he isn't growling. He is just talking really gruffy, he sounds like a mad old person. If he actually growled or screamed like a pro, we might not have such a problem with it. But like any bad vocalist, it's not wanted.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2010, 12:19:30 AM »

I think the main problem is that he isn't growling. He is just talking really gruffy, he sounds like a mad old person. If he actually growled or screamed like a pro, we might not have such a problem with it. But like any bad vocalist, it's not wanted.

Yeah, I guess he isn't really growling.

Did you ever hear any of the other vocal takes for A Nightmare to Remember over on MP's forum? There were three alternate takes of the "growls', one had a full on strain in his voice where it sounded like a burp at the end. The other take that I can remember was the version we hear on the album with JLB singing over it. I actually preferred that version better, but MP said it didn't fit... :-\
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline robwebster

« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2010, 03:25:59 AM »

rumborak

Maybe, I'm sure a lot of them do, but JP's need for autotune makes it really obvious when it is used. Really obvious, and thus hard for me to listen to, personally.
I think it was more because it was just a demo, and they cared more about quickly putting together an accurate template than about how the end result sounded. It was made to be functional.

The Silent Man Live from Noo Yoik, I Walk Beside You album version are the first two I can think of with fairly prominent Petrucci vocals, but he adds a fair bit.

Offline perfey

• Stiletto in the sand
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2010, 04:08:47 AM »
Not a album track, but on a B-side or demo it would be ok, for me anyway.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2010, 08:06:40 AM »
Having been a vocalist for 25 years, I was surprised and impressed with Mikes vocal work on the recent Transatlantic album. I never thought he was a bad vocalist, but his vocal tone and control of his voice on that record was really good. Does anyone think Mike might ever sing a track on a Dream Theater album?

I hope not, but the way it's going, it's not impossible.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2010, 09:00:35 AM »

rumborak
Yup. The Wither demo was just slapped together quickly to get the idea across. If JP spent time recording in the studio, he'd obviously sound better with more takes, and the production/effects used would sound better as well.

I may be in the minority, but aside from the pitch issues, I actually preferred JP's vocals on Wither to JLB's. His voice just fits better.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2010, 01:41:55 PM »

rumborak
Yup. The Wither demo was just slapped together quickly to get the idea across. If JP spent time recording in the studio, he'd obviously sound better with more takes, and the production/effects used would sound better as well.

I may be in the minority, but aside from the pitch issues, I actually preferred JP's vocals on Wither to JLB's. His voice just fits better.

Even in studio, every video I've seen of JP he is really struggling to sing in tune. Kind of a cop out to use autotune in my opinion, if you can't do a good job without it...

But to each their own.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2010, 02:19:26 PM »

rumborak

Even in studio, every video I've seen of JP he is really struggling to sing in tune. Kind of a cop out to use autotune in my opinion, if you can't do a good job without it...

But to each their own.

I think Petrucci doesn't consider himself a vocalist, or that's the impression he sends, like... he'll do harmonies when asked.  Mike, on the other hand, seems to consider himself a good vocalist, considering he's doing more vocal roles, and I always thought him to have a completely colorless tone, not to mention other singing attributes...

As for the question.... I really hope not.  First off that JLB is getting pushed aside enough that it is.  Second off that.... no.   If Mike started singing studio lead vocals (although I wouldn't put it past him) I would not blame Labrie for wanting to quit. 

Offline Adami

« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2010, 03:07:20 PM »

rumborak

But to each their own.
If he is singing on a release, then yes it's a cop out to OVERLY use autotune (you'd be surprised by how many singers use a little bit of autotune all the time, no one notices). But he was getting it together to show JLB, they just happened to release it for some reason as a single. But if I were a singer (and I'm not), and someone handed me a demo that was horribly sung, it wouldn't help me much. I'd much rather them autotune the hell out of their voice so I know what notes to hit.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 03:24:56 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2010, 03:15:34 PM »
I'd say... only for a cover, like he did with Transatlantic and their cover of "A Salty Dog". There may be a song the band would like to cover, either live or in the studio, that might suit Mike's voice more than James', but I'm not sure what song(s) the band would cover that would make for a good vocal for Mike...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2010, 06:12:00 PM »
I think Petrucci doesn't consider himself a vocalist, or that's the impression he sends, like... he'll do harmonies when asked.  Mike, on the other hand, seems to consider himself a good vocalist, considering he's doing more vocal roles, and I always thought him to have a completely colorless tone, not to mention other singing attributes...

If he is singing on a release, then yes it's a cop out to OVERLY use autotune (you'd be surprised by how many singers use a little bit of autotune all the time, no one notices). But he was getting it together to show JLB, they just happened to release it for some reason as a single. But if I were a singer (and I'm not), and someone handed me a demo that was horribly sung, it wouldn't help me much. I'd much rather them autotune the hell out of their voice so I know what notes to hit.

Well, this is pretty much what I was saying. I don't have a problem with the Wither demo because it was just that... a demo. It wasn't even going to be released, and its barely an official release (but if it was released on an official album, then I wouldn't be too happy). But, JP isn't a vocalist, and he does need autotune... so why would he sing on a track with just him and JLB singing? Like Adami said, a lot of vocalists use autotune, but it is to tweak very minor things.... JP would need so much that it would be noticeable that there is autotune on it.

Autotune isn't really the problem, it's overusing it to cover up lack of ability to sing in tune.

Offline Adami

« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2010, 06:27:12 PM »

Well, this is pretty much what I was saying. I don't have a problem with the Wither demo because it was just that... a demo. It wasn't even going to be released, and its barely an official release (but if it was released on an official album, then I wouldn't be too happy). But, JP isn't a vocalist, and he does need autotune... so why would he sing on a track with just him and JLB singing? Like Adami said, a lot of vocalists use autotune, but it is to tweak very minor things.... JP would need so much that it would be noticeable that there is autotune on it.

Autotune isn't really the problem, it's overusing it to cover up lack of ability to sing in tune.

And click tracks.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chagny

« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2010, 12:47:18 AM »
I can shamelessly say that I like his vocals on PoW.

Offline Adami

« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2010, 12:51:11 AM »
I can shamelessly say that I like his vocals on PoW.

They work there I guess. His rap is fine too, dunno why everyone hates it so much.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2010, 05:02:38 AM »
Because it's corny as fuck.

Offline Chagny

« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2010, 05:52:37 AM »
Because it's corny as fuck.

I'm glad they put that in there. Otherwise the whole song (and maybe the album, if other pieces were taken out) would've been "we are serious metuhl lolsz"

Offline robwebster

« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2010, 07:21:41 AM »
Songs about vampires and pharaohs and people coming back from the dead to fight good and evil... while I do agree that I'm glad that the album's not too serious, I don't think the rap's the keystone.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2010, 11:57:33 AM »
Realistically, I think that MP will take over more and more vocal parts, eventually resulting in him singing the lead vocals in a song (that he wrote the lyrics for, of course).

I already dread that moment, to be honest. MP's voice doesn't have the range nor the tone nor the depth of a lead vocalist's. He's a decent backing vocalist, but that's all.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline OperantChamber

« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2010, 05:07:45 PM »
I'm hoping for one full blown death metal growl to fall out of nowhere.

:metal

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2010, 05:23:58 PM »
I'm hoping for one full blown death metal growl to fall out of nowhere.

:metal

And something like in "Set us free"

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2010, 06:06:54 PM »
If they want full blown death growls, I hope they get a guest singer because Mike's 'mean' voice is cheesy. But I really hope they just don't use them at all.

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2010, 11:08:12 PM »

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2010, 03:05:41 PM »
I don't like MP's vocals personally, so I'd be happy with the way things are now.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2010, 03:31:19 PM »
I think he did a pretty good job on The Whirlwind, especially in Overture and in Out Of The Night. I would much rather love to see him sing like that in the next album than songs like in Constant Motion/ANTR.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2010, 05:48:41 PM »
And the Set us Free Chorus is awesome! Gives me chills!

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2010, 09:32:20 PM »
It would be my nightmare come true.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2010, 01:08:04 AM »
God, I hope not.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2010, 07:31:58 AM »
I don't like MP's vocals personally, so I'd be happy with the way things are now.

Correction, I'd be happy with the way it used to be (nugget) where you never heard him (as in the first 3 albums with the exception of The Mirror, where his vocals were used sparingly and effectively)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2010, 06:21:20 PM »
Only backing vocals and the lame-o cookie monster vocals they will inevitably include on future albums. Otherwise, no.

Personally, I think the latter is way too much anyway. Backing vocals...I am ok with, but MP should let James do what he does. I wouldn't mind having James do all the vocal work on the records.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2010, 11:46:28 PM »
Didn't Portnoy sing the entire first verse of The Glass Prison?  As for cookie monster vocals - it's funny because there are some bands that I don't mind it with.  DT is not one of those bands.  The reason, I think, is because it seems contrived.  DT has been known to "try" to sound like certain styles and, I'm sorry, but you really can't "try" to do that whole cookie monster thing.  Either you're a heavy, pissed off band that really means that angry stuff or.... you're not.  Hearing LaBrie trying to sound pissed off and badass is just goofy. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?