Author Topic: Do You Think Mike Will Ever?  (Read 12049 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
Do You Think Mike Will Ever?
« on: July 02, 2010, 09:35:38 AM »
Having been a vocalist for 25 years, I was surprised and impressed with Mikes vocal work on the recent Transatlantic album. I never thought he was a bad vocalist, but his vocal tone and control of his voice on that record was really good. Does anyone think Mike might ever sing a track on a Dream Theater album?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
Re: Do You Think Mike Will Ever?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 09:36:37 AM »
No.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 09:37:43 AM »
Only backing vocals and the lame-o cookie monster vocals they will inevitably include on future albums. Otherwise, no.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 09:44:14 AM »
I've personally always kind of hoped he would. But I don't want him to pull a song that's suited for JLB, I want him to sing on a song that fits his style and range.

I always like when bands do this, such as Queen (as long as the vocalists are good)
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 09:50:08 AM »
I've personally always kind of hoped he would. But I don't want him to pull a song that's suited for JLB, I want him to sing on a song that fits his style and range.

I always like when bands do this, such as Queen (as long as the vocalists are good)
It definitely would have to be a song written for his voice and range, but I think it could be interesting.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 10:21:05 AM »
Having been a vocalist for 25 years, I was surprised and impressed with Mikes vocal work on the recent Transatlantic album. I never thought he was a bad vocalist, but his vocal tone and control of his voice on that record was really good. Does anyone think Mike might ever sing a track on a Dream Theater album?
God, I hope not.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 10:30:33 AM »
The Best Of Times demo.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 10:53:56 AM »
Having been a vocalist for 25 years, I was surprised and impressed with Mikes vocal work on the recent Transatlantic album.

His vocals are good outside of DT, but TA and DT write different music, especially when it comes to vocals.

It worked well for Queen not just because they were all top notch singers, but because they did not have a distinct vocal sound. They had a distinct vocal style but that was because of their melodies. DT has a unique, distinct vocal sound in James, and to deviate from that would be a significant deviation from their overall sound. Same thing with a band like The Beatles. Songs song by John sound different than those sung by Paul, but they all sound like Beatles songs. Any DT song bot sung by James wouldn't sound like a DT song.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 10:59:19 AM »
I also was impressed by his vocals on The Whirlwind (the song itself; the Salty Dog cover is mostly good, but there are a few spots where Mike really sounds strained).  I would love to hear more from Mike vocally, but in a side project.  I think his present level of contribution on vocals for DT sound just about perfect.  I don't necessarily want less, but I don't think I want more either. 

Only backing vocals and the lame-o cookie monster vocals they will inevitably include on future albums. Otherwise, no.

They are not cookie monster vocals.   ::)  Don't make me issue the smack down.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 11:08:09 AM »
Do you think Mike will ever use those KrotchRaut stickers?

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 11:31:32 AM »
I like what he does on "Set us free" It'd be nice if he would do something like that with DT, we've seen more of he's deeper voice in DT.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 11:33:28 AM »

The ones on ANtR may not be, but I guarantee that there WILL be cookie monster vocals on future albums, which is exactly what I said in my post above. No reference was made to BCaSL in my post. Don't make me smack you!   :-*
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 11:34:13 AM »
I'd guess not, I think any serious vocal contributions from MP will  be on non-DT releases, or maybe if DT released a bunch of covers with another album like they did with BC&SL. I don't think he'll ever be the featured vocalist on a Dream Theater original though
Photobucket sucks.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 11:44:15 AM »
I enjoy his vocals on salty dog and the demo and background, but prob not on a studio album since it would take away from JLB

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 12:40:46 PM »
I also was impressed by his vocals on The Whirlwind (the song itself; the Salty Dog cover is mostly good, but there are a few spots where Mike really sounds strained).  I would love to hear more from Mike vocally, but in a side project.  I think his present level of contribution on vocals for DT sound just about perfect.  I don't necessarily want less, but I don't think I want more either. 

There's nothing wrong with cookie monster vocals. Granted, its not a style that appeals to everyone, but when used correctly it works.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2010, 01:17:09 PM »
I hope to God we never have Portnoy singing lead vocals on a DT song ever.  Or singing by himself a la ANTR ever again.  Call-and-response like in The Mirror, The Glass Prison, and The Shattered Fortress works well.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2010, 01:19:53 PM »
But I like what he does on "Set us free too" :(

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2010, 01:41:20 PM »
There's nothing wrong with cookie monster vocals. Granted, its not a style that appeals to everyone, but when used correctly it works.

There IS something wrong with cookie monster vocals for people who hate them, like me. Doesn't matter if they are "used correctly" - they aren't necessary to get a certain emotion or vibe across.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 01:59:11 PM »
Sure, but some of us hate Jordan Rudess solos that sound like he is trying to bend every note into submission, but we have to endure them, nonetheless, just like those of you who dislike growls will have to endure those, should they ever use them.  I am not a big fan of growls either, but I am just saying. ;)

Frankly, I would take a short section or two of growling on a DT album (if done by someone who can actually growl well, like Akerfeldt) over those Rudess solos.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2010, 02:14:04 PM »

There IS something wrong with cookie monster vocals for people who hate them, like me. Doesn't matter if they are "used correctly" - they aren't necessary to get a certain emotion or vibe across.

I can just as easily say there's something wrong with extremely high-pitched singers for those who hate them. They aren't necessary to get a certain emotion or vibe across.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2010, 02:31:02 PM »
I can just as easily say there's something wrong with extremely high-pitched singers for those who hate them. They aren't necessary to get a certain emotion or vibe across.

Except that DT has been using this vocal style for 10 albums (well, 9.. sorry Charlie). If people hated that style, they wouldn't be fans of the music in the first place, which is different from incorporating totally different and conflicting vocal styles 25 years in to your career.

But I will agree that a certain type of vocal style is never necessary as it is a function of the style the individual artist/band is striving for.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2010, 02:31:27 PM »

This.  Now check your PM's, n00blet.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2010, 02:35:13 PM »

Especially when that emotion and vibe is "everything worked out for everyone".
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2010, 02:48:05 PM »

Except that DT has been using this vocal style for 10 albums (well, 9.. sorry Charlie). If people hated that style, they wouldn't be fans of the music in the first place, which is different from incorporating totally different and conflicting vocal styles 25 years in to your career.

But I will agree that a certain type of vocal style is never necessary as it is a function of the style the individual artist/band is striving for.

That's the point I was trying to get across, albeit in a somewhat sarcastic fashion  :|

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2010, 02:52:16 PM »

Exactly.   :tup

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2010, 03:08:56 PM »
Sure, but some of us hate Jordan Rudess solos that sound like he is trying to bend every note into submission, but we have to endure them, nonetheless, just like those of you who dislike growls will have to endure those, should they ever use them.  I am not a big fan of growls either, but I am just saying. ;)

Frankly, I would take a short section or two of growling on a DT album (if done by someone who can actually growl well, like Akerfeldt) over those Rudess solos.

I can't still fully digest the awesomeness that was Akerfeldt growling ANTR in Wembley.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2010, 03:44:23 PM »

I can't still fully digest the awesomeness that was Akerfeldt growling ANTR in Wembley.

I'd like to hear Rudess or Pete Trewavas growl

Offline KISS 76

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2010, 04:46:10 PM »

+1. I also think that in the future they will make songs/albums sound dated like triggered drums sound so 80's these days....

Offline robwebster

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2010, 05:25:33 PM »

Exactly.   :tup
I'm not much into cookie monster vocals myself, and actually find them properly offputting at times...

But if I'm honest, I see "it's worked for 25 years" as more of an indictment than a vote of confidence. I don't think they should rest on their laurels and stick at one style. I like that they're gradually morphing. I don't think anything should be taken as read - I'd like 'em to meddle and fiddle and surprise me as much as possible. Bring on the gruff.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2010, 06:11:43 PM »
You know,  I'd much rather hear JP vocals. MP sings very nasally, whereas JP has a sonorous voice.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline robwebster

« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2010, 06:12:52 PM »
Agreed. JP has a really lush, warm voice.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2010, 06:18:02 PM »
Agreed. JP has a really lush, warm voice.
I can dig it.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2010, 06:35:55 PM »
Seriously,  JLB + JP could do an awesome vocal-only track.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2010, 06:37:43 PM »
Are you guys kidding? JP can't even sing in tune.  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2010, 06:42:15 PM »
Yeah, but that's what autotune is for.  We aren't talking about pitch.  We're talking about tone and depth.