Author Topic: Official New Millennium appreciation thread.  (Read 16456 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Official New Millennium appreciation thread.
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2018, 04:01:16 PM »
Honestly, I only really knew what was what from watching the Live in Budakon.

For me, it was Five Years in a LIVETime.

Offline Tunnel Vision

« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2018, 05:21:22 PM »
Instrumentally really makes me go "Damn, now I know why I love this song so much!"   :metal :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RkGPOaXR_g

Yep, same here. I've been listening to the instrumental version of the entire album too and it's fantastic.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2018, 08:33:37 PM »
Honestly, I don't get all the hate for New Millennium.

Where?

Here! I've seen a not totally insignificant number of people here complain about the song and list it as one of their least favorites.

No one is going to say the groove and base aren't quite good. The lyrics and terrible keyboard bring it down. Popping FII in the CD player for the first time and hearing that grating keyboard intro, I was all "Uhhhhhh............. what?"

Yeah, I'm not really going to defend the keyboard/guitar intro there. It's probably the low point of the song, alongside that random atmospheric slow bridge 3:30ish in. Those are the only two parts of the song that I'm not a fan of this

Offline Evai

« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2018, 06:28:34 AM »
New Millennium is awesome!
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2018, 06:58:26 PM »
Sorry, but I love the intro, and the music breakdown where they repeat the riff is one my favorite instrumental moments in all of DT history.   :coolio
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2018, 07:15:53 AM »
I know that it was kinda built off of Caught In A Web but it's still one of Dream Theaters most unique sounding songs I can think of.

Ok, sorry to double quote the OP, but I couldn't find any info about this.. It's something a band member told in an interview or something like that? .. I mean, sure some parts sound very similar, actually I always thought that was the only reason why they did the CIANM medley.. but built off, like The Mirror/Lie?, that'd be something interesting to know more of..

UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline SjundeInseglet

« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2018, 12:09:39 PM »
I know that it was kinda built off of Caught In A Web but it's still one of Dream Theaters most unique sounding songs I can think of.

Ok, sorry to double quote the OP, but I couldn't find any info about this.. It's something a band member told in an interview or something like that? .. I mean, sure some parts sound very similar, actually I always thought that was the only reason why they did the CIANM medley.. but built off, like The Mirror/Lie?, that'd be something interesting to know more of..

During some gigs in 1996 and 1997, DT played something (a heavily distorted and modified version of "Caught In a Web") that came to be dubbed as "Caught In Alice's 9 Inch Tool Garden". It eventually went through enough changes that it became its own song, "New Millenium". Here's how it originally sounded: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq-kU6IFPC4

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2018, 01:10:41 PM »

During some gigs in 1996 and 1997, DT played something (a heavily distorted and modified version of "Caught In a Web") that came to be dubbed as "Caught In Alice's 9 Inch Tool Garden". It eventually went through enough changes that it became its own song, "New Millenium". Here's how it originally sounded: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq-kU6IFPC4

Thanks, that's awesome!..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline HOF

« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2020, 10:14:49 PM »
The instrumental portions of New Millennium are wonderful. I never get tired of hearing Myung on the Chapman stick. Portnoy has a killer groove, and I love the keyboard sound and really unique JP guitar part. I even really like the chorus (baby and all). But this song would have improved by leaps and bounds if they had dropped the second verse altogether (the “keep your head up” portion) and just gone straight to the instrumental break after the first chorus.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2020, 02:58:53 AM »
The studio version is alright, but the Live at Budokan version is really good.

Offline KidInTheDark666

• Traveling through both space and time.
« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2020, 05:35:44 AM »
This is definitely a bottom 3 DT song, excluding the endless ballads on The Astonishing.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2020, 07:15:25 AM »

This is definitely a bottom 3 DT song, excluding the endless ballads on The Astonishing.

Someone doesn't understand what "appreciation" means, apparently.

Offline KidInTheDark666

• Traveling through both space and time.
« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2020, 07:31:28 AM »

Someone doesn't understand what "appreciation" means, apparently.
Do we have a specific thread for New Millennium haters?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 07:49:38 AM by KidInTheDark666 »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2020, 07:47:11 AM »

Yup.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2020, 06:32:54 AM »
I actually heard DT use New Millennium as the opening piece during one of the concerts I went to in 2002. That was absolutely unexpected. (you would have guessed it was The Glass Prison, no it wasn't that day)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2020, 12:38:24 PM »

This live version is, with excellent quality, on official bootleg’s Old Bridge New Jersey 12/14/96, although is named only Caught In a Web.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 12:43:42 PM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2020, 01:48:23 PM »
I gotta say, I like NM quite a bit and think it's one of the best tracks on FII.  And I really love the intro.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline Lupton

« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2020, 07:56:54 PM »
Good solid song. Already noted by Orbert, the intro finds them in exploratory mode homage-ing Crimson, Chapman stick sound and all. That main line always makes me think of "Discipline" every time I hear it. Does this new approach build the desired amount of energy going into the meat of the song? Not sure. It's different for them. But to me it feels like all tension (with no release). The rest of the tune is just sort of there for me, but not an unpleasant listening experience. Nothing much in the various verse, chorus and bridgy sections really "grabs" me, even though it's a good song. TBH even the songs I like on FII are not among my favorite DT tunes, but I do love the way the production sounds on that album. I wish more of their albums sounded as good production-wise.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2020, 01:55:11 PM »
I love New Millennium. It's such a unique song in the DT catalogue, but it also contains some unmistakably DT sounds with the instrumental section. It's weirdly poppy by prog standards but still very prog by pop standards, especially considering it's length.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2020, 02:29:38 PM »
Add me to the list that loves New Millenium. Then again, I'm probably one of the biggest fans of FII on this board, so it's not surprising I love the lead track.  :lol

I wish it would surface again in set lists. Really a shame tracks like NM, the beautiful Anna Lee, and even the lead single, You Not Me, don't get played. I think too much attention was paid to critical comments on some of this period by MP. Some really good stuff on FII, and New Millenium is great.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #90 on: February 03, 2020, 02:33:41 PM »
Add me to the list that loves New Millenium. Then again, I'm probably one of the biggest fans of FII on this board, so it's not surprising I love the lead track.  :lol

I wish it would surface again in set lists. Really a shame tracks like NM, the beautiful Anna Lee, and even the lead single, You Not Me, don't get played. I think too much attention was paid to critical comments on some of this period by MP. Some really good stuff on FII, and New Millenium is great.
There were some FII pieces that were played in MM's era though, in case you might remember (or you might not, I don't know :D) . (Trial in 2014, HK in 2017, Burning My Soul in 2015 and Peruvian Skies  in 2011)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 02:44:03 PM by Max Kuehnau »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2020, 03:04:26 PM »

There were some FII pieces that were played in MM's era though, in case you might remember (or you might not, I don't know :D) . (Trial in 2014, HK in 2017, Burning My Soul in 2015 and Peruvian Skies  in 2011)

No, I mean the stuff from FII that is never played at all. They've always (DT) played HK, BMS and Peruvian Skies. New Millenium, Anna Lee, You Not Me, etc., just have not been played (AFAIK) since the FII dates. And I'm not sure if Anna Lee has ever been played honestly. I only saw DT once twice during the FII years. Once opening for Deep Purple at Jones Beach (they played New Millenium and You Not Me), and then the holiday show at Irving Plaza in December 1998.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2020, 03:10:11 PM »
Ah right ok, I'm sorry. Yes, Anna Lee was played (not released though) during the concert in Paris in 1998 (what we now know as Once In A Livetime), it was however released on the DT Fanclub CD of 1998. (which also features some versions of pieces that were originally intended for FII, had it become a double album, like Speak To Me)

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: February 03, 2020, 03:15:21 PM »
Ah right ok, I'm sorry. Yes, Anna Lee was played (not released though) during the concert in Paris in 1998 (what we now know as Once In A Livetime), it was however released on the DT Fanclub CD of 1998. (which also features some versions of pieces that were originally intended for FII, had it become a double album, like Speak To Me)

I have the Cleaning Out the Closet fan club CD, it isn't on there. That's the disc that Speak to Me, Cover My Eyes, etc., was on. So I think you're either thinking of something else, or just mistaken.

My overall point is, Anna Lee may have done as a one-off or a couple times, but it has never been played regularly on a tour, and it should be. Just as I think New Millenium needs to be a regular staple again at some point. Just different songs from FII, instead of the appearance of Trial of Tears, and the others that have been common on tours since then. I'd love to hear some of the more forgotten FII stuff.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #94 on: February 03, 2020, 03:20:10 PM »
Forgive me for saying so, but: Some FII material (probably even NM) might have made sense on this current tour, because some of D/T has that grittier aspect in the music (S2n particularly). (and NM certainly made sense in the set during parts of the 6D tour IMHO. As I mentioned, they opened 2 of the 4 concerts I attended on that tour with NM) Apart from that, I respect anyone who likes FII, but I'm not one of these people. (hence why I always do my best to be neutral on this particular subject of DT)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 03:25:15 PM by Max Kuehnau »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #95 on: February 03, 2020, 03:22:50 PM »
Yeah, Anna Lee can be found on the Five Years in a LIVEtime DVD (or VHS, as the case may be).  JP played slide guitar for the solo on a gorgeous Ibanez Talman guitar.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: February 03, 2020, 03:25:34 PM »
Yeah, Anna Lee can be found on the Five Years in a LIVEtime DVD (or VHS, as the case may be).  JP played slide guitar for the solo on a gorgeous Ibanez Talman guitar.

I remember that now. Need to re-watch this week. Haven't pulled out that DVD in ages.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2020, 03:29:08 PM »
I watched it a lot as a child (on VHS actually, believe it or not) and I couldn't remember that detail. I do remember watching DT working in the studio for Awake and FII though. (Cock Banana, if anyone remembers? :D Must have been a Derek thing)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2020, 05:00:12 PM »
If they only play the same songs from FII it's because the rest aren't that good :P

Joking aside, FII isn't a fan favorite album, so it's not really something they want to invest a lot of set time on. Still, like Max said, quite a few songs have made it to the set on the MM era, so we might see more pop up in future tours. I expect them to play Hollow Years and maybe LITS again at some point.

About NM played live again, I don't think that'll happen as this is what James said about it in 2011:

Here’s a question that a fan asked me to bring up: What are your favorite and least favorite songs to perform live?

Uuuuuh… Least favorite… I would say, probably… I don’t know… New Millennium. That song, I just didn’t feel it. There were some cool moments in it, I just didn’t… whenever we performed it, I didn’t feel it.

Source: http://dreamtheater.club/blog/2011/07/11/resurfacing-an-interview-with-james-labrie/

And I do recall a live online Q&A with DT around the time DT12 was released where Jordan was asked about two songs related to the previous two keyboardists (Eve - KM, and Anna Lee - DS) that hadn't been played since 98 and Jordan asnwered something along the lines of "if they haven't been played for that long, there might be a good reason for that", so no Anna Lee live either.

As for me, personally, I consider FII to be one of DT's weakest albums (ironically, the sound and production are almost perfect), but the good songs are really good, so I'd rather have them focus on those than try to play something like You Not Me or JLMB.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: February 03, 2020, 08:08:48 PM »
Jordan asnwered something along the lines of "if they haven't been played for that long, there might be a good reason for that"

Indeed! No appreciation for this song from me so I will leave it at that.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #100 on: February 03, 2020, 08:29:11 PM »
New Millenium, Anna Lee, You Not Me, etc., just have not been played (AFAIK) since the FII dates.
That is true about AL and YNM, but NM was played during the second half of World Tourbulence in 2002, Escape From the Studio in 2003 and the Train of Thought tour in 2004. In fact, it's on Live at Budokan (the last time it was performed live). JL's dislike for the song no doubt has played a part in why it hasn't been performed in the MM-era, but may have even been a reason why it wasn't featured in later MP-era setlists either.

I have the Cleaning Out the Closet fan club CD, it isn't on there. That's the disc that Speak to Me, Cover My Eyes, etc., was on. So I think you're either thinking of something else, or just mistaken.
Actually Max is right - you're the one who's got them mixed up. The OiaL outtakes, which included tracks from both the Dutch fan club show and a handful of tracks from the Paris show that didn't make it to OiaL, were released as the 1998 fan club CD. Cleaning Out the Closet was the fan club CD released in 1999. And you can find a live version of AL on the 1998 fan club CD.  :)
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/discography/page2.html#fanclub

And I do recall a live online Q&A with DT around the time DT12 was released where Jordan was asked about two songs related to the previous two keyboardists (Eve - KM, and Anna Lee - DS) that hadn't been played since 98 and Jordan asnwered something along the lines of "if they haven't been played for that long, there might be a good reason for that", so no Anna Lee live either.
AL was always considered very much to be a "Derek" song, so that could be a reason why it's not been performed since he left. Then again, the same is true of SDVest being a "KevMo" song, so who knows?   :P
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #101 on: February 03, 2020, 08:42:39 PM »
Interestingly, New Millennium is, IMO, the worst song on DT's worst album, but it's not DT's worst song.  Repentance gets that "honor."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #102 on: February 03, 2020, 09:11:42 PM »
AL was always considered very much to be a "Derek" song, so that could be a reason why it's not been performed since he left. Then again, the same is true of SDVest being a "KevMo" song, so who knows?   :P

But SDV is much more appreciated by the fans than AL (or at least it seems so). I'm honestly not too crazy about either one, but I think SDV is more interesting than AL.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2020, 07:41:13 AM »
Scotty - thanks for clearing all that up.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #104 on: February 04, 2020, 07:44:38 AM »
FII isn't my favorite DT album, but it's not my least favorite either; I much prefer the Director's Cut of that album.  Having said that, in listening to it recently, it brings back good times, and I miss that era very much.  The music had space, had breath, and it still had the sense of "searching".