Author Topic: Trial of Tears Appreciation Thread  (Read 16862 times)

Offline gzarruk

Re: Trial of Tears Appreciation Thread
« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2018, 01:17:43 PM »
Out of any DT song, I'd love to hear Devin Townsend sing this one. He could fit some screams in there and his classic operatic style  :angel:

:o I just thought of him singing it and got chills. I can imagine he'd up the intensity of singing the chorus and by the end he's screaming. I wonder if we can crowdfund to get him to do this.  :biggrin:

That would be the most “DT” thing ever...
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online HOF

« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2020, 10:26:05 PM »
Listening to FII just now, and this song is truly magical. If I had to pick a top performance by everyone in the band, this one would be near the top of the list for everyone. Yet it’s not a wank-fest or anything. It all just fits together perfectly and the sound is so deep and warm. The lyrics are perfect too. Love it.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2020, 11:24:14 PM »
Listening to FII just now, and this song is truly magical. If I had to pick a top performance by everyone in the band, this one would be near the top of the list for everyone. Yet it’s not a wank-fest or anything. It all just fits together perfectly and the sound is so deep and warm. The lyrics are perfect too. Love it.

Agreed. Top (3) DT song ever for me. Love it....the Budakon live version is my favorite.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline pg1067

« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2020, 04:29:24 PM »
For me, TOT is one of DT's more overrated songs.  It's good -- with a couple sections that are great -- and probably the best song on the band's worst album, but it's probably at the very bottom of the list of best songs on a DT album and nowhere near a top 25 for me.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2020, 04:31:24 PM »
probably the best song on the band's worst album

Nailed it.

Great song, though.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2020, 04:44:38 PM »
One of DT's all-time best imo. I never turn this one off when it comes on shuffle.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Volante99

« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2020, 05:01:51 PM »
I actually like the “Live at Budokan” version better. Seems to have a better “atmosphere” and for some reason I don’t like LaBrie’s performance on the studio recording or it might be the vocal effects. He honestly sounds stronger at Budokan.

There’s also some weird studio effect on Petrucci’s guitar solo that someone should have, kindly, pulled the plug on lol. FII is one of their best sounding albums but I think this song in particular might have been a bit “overproduced”? Budokan is cleaner, stripped down and better for it in my opinion.

Good performance by Portnoy, Myung (they definitely got the bass sound right on this album), and Sherinian, though!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 05:13:24 PM by Volante99 »

Online HOF

« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2020, 07:06:50 PM »
For me, TOT is one of DT's more overrated songs.  It's good -- with a couple sections that are great -- and probably the best song on the band's worst album, but it's probably at the very bottom of the list of best songs on a DT album and nowhere near a top 25 for me.

As an FII lover, it’s close to Lines in the Sand for best song on the album for me (after stuff like Hell’s Kitchen, Hollow Years, and Take Away My Pain, which are all favorites).
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 07:17:54 PM by HOF »

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2020, 04:18:23 PM »
On the subject of the album itself, I actually like it quite a bit.  It's got a few stinkers imho (You not Me, Just Let Me Breathe) and the production sound is kind of soft, but on the whole I like it a lot.

But the crown of the album is certainly Trial of Tears.  It is an AMAZING song.  And I consider it one of DT's perfect, or near perfect compositions.  I just can't see anything wrong with it at all.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Online HOF

« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2020, 04:30:43 PM »
On the subject of the album itself, I actually like it quite a bit.  It's got a few stinkers imho (You not Me, Just Let Me Breathe) and the production sound is kind of soft, but on the whole I like it a lot.

But the crown of the album is certainly Trial of Tears.  It is an AMAZING song.  And I consider it one of DT's perfect, or near perfect compositions.  I just can't see anything wrong with it at all.

I do love the sound of FII overall. The weak spots (IMO) are You Not Me (much prefer You Or Me), Burning My Soul, and Just Let Me Breath, and then I could take or leave Peruvian Skies. There was so much great material produced during those sessions, and unfortunately they left off several of the best tracks from the session (Raise the Knife, The Way It Used To Be, and Speak to Me especially). It would have been better as a double album or if they had just picked the right songs to feature.

But as it is, I love most of the album and consider it my favorite DT album alongside Awake.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2020, 05:21:33 PM »

I do love the sound of FII overall. The weak spots (IMO) are You Not Me (much prefer You Or Me), Burning My Soul, and Just Let Me Breath, and then I could take or leave Peruvian Skies. There was so much great material produced during those sessions, and unfortunately they left off several of the best tracks from the session (Raise the Knife, The Way It Used To Be, and Speak to Me especially). It would have been better as a double album or if they had just picked the right songs to feature.

But as it is, I love most of the album and consider it my favorite DT album alongside Awake.

I agree with everything you just said.  On my phone I have a modified playlist of the album which ommits parts from the studio album and adds parts from the demo series.  And I love it!
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2020, 05:05:17 PM »
I am wayyyyy in the minority here, but FII is my second favorite DT album (6 Degrees is first), and Trial of Tears is my favorite song off of the record.

I've loved it since the day it came out, but as I've gotten older, I keep coming back to it, while albums like TOT I rarely revisit.

I know many fans prefer the 'metal' side of the band, but to me, FII showcases an excellent balance of everything they'd done up to that point (basically blending I&W with Awake).

To that point, while there was little on D/T that I ever plan to revisit (again, I recognize that I am in the vast minority here), my playlist combining FII with the additional songs from the bootleg is the only thing I still routinely visit from DT. Great stuff!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2020, 05:49:51 PM »
I'm a metal guy, but I actually don't prefer the Metal side of the band. I can get my metal in so many other places.

That said, I think FII is really weak, but Trial Of Tears is absolutely amazing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KidInTheDark666

• Traveling through both space and time.
« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2020, 01:46:06 AM »
I think that Falling Into Infinity is a good album, it ranks around #10-11 in my DT album ranking. Trial of Tears is probably the best song on the album, even though I don't consider it to be top tier.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2020, 04:46:08 AM »
I am wayyyyy in the minority here, but FII is my second favorite DT album (6 Degrees is first), and Trial of Tears is my favorite song off of the record.

I've loved it since the day it came out, but as I've gotten older, I keep coming back to it, while albums like TOT I rarely revisit.

I know many fans prefer the 'metal' side of the band, but to me, FII showcases an excellent balance of everything they'd done up to that point (basically blending I&W with Awake).

To that point, while there was little on D/T that I ever plan to revisit (again, I recognize that I am in the vast minority here), my playlist combining FII with the additional songs from the bootleg is the only thing I still routinely visit from DT. Great stuff!

FII is better than most of their post-8V material... FII rules.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline KidInTheDark666

• Traveling through both space and time.
« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2020, 07:07:00 AM »
FII beats The Astonishing, WDADU and self-titled. It's pretty much equal with Distance Over Time imo.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2020, 07:40:06 AM »
My favorite on FII, which as anyone who has read my posts knows, I consider to be a really good record. Top-5 in DT catalog.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!