Author Topic: Can we talk about Phish?  (Read 35876 times)

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
Re: Can we talk about Phish?
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2011, 04:25:14 AM »
I'm sure that possible.  While I don't partake, I'd guess I'm in the minority at a Phish show.
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2011, 07:36:54 AM »
Anyone seen them live?

3x and counting.
It must be crazy. I hear (and have evidence) that you can get any drug you desire at a Phish show.
What does that matter?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2011, 03:03:07 PM »
Anyone seen them live?

3x and counting.
It must be crazy. I hear (and have evidence) that you can get any drug you desire at a Phish show.
What does that matter?
Because it must be crazy if you have thousands of people drunk/high/tripping at one place. I've heard stories of people falling off balconies and arrest numbers over two hundred at Phish shows.

Offline sirbradford117

• All you need is love.
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2011, 08:24:41 PM »
It's not as ridiculous a scene as you might imagine.  Everybody is just there to enjoy the music and the communal atmosphere.  All present are respectful of each other, no one will be upset if you say no to an offer for a hit.

Haven't heard anything about folks falling from high places.  And I'm aware of a few high-profile arrests when lot security is tight.  Usually though illicit substances are used quietly and discreetly, don't-ask-don't tell.

Basically what I'm saying is not to let thoughts of a crazy, bizarre concert crowd scare you away.  You'll enjoy yourself... I know you enjoy myself.   :neverusethis:
[/quote]

Offline darkshade

« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2011, 08:25:54 PM »
anyone who's looking to check out this band via their live stuff should look no further than their official live releases. They're excellent quality, and most are fine representations of their various live eras.

My favorites are

Live Phish Vol. 11
New Years Eve '95 Madison Square Garden
Island Tour Vol 1, 2, 3 & 4
Live Phish Vol. 14
Live Phish Vol. 10
Colorado '88 (great glimpse into their really old live sound, when they were more playful, but full-blown prog)
Live Phish Vol. 13
Live Phish Vol. 2

of course, ive listened to so much live Phish, that no one show defines them. I also am a fan who got into them via their studio albums. I heard Junta, Lawn Boy, A Picture of Nectar, Rift, and Story of the Ghost before i heard any live stuff. Luckily those are their best 5 albums IMO, so it worked out. And you could imagine how blown away i was once i got into their live shows. Wow.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2011, 08:30:27 PM »
It's not as ridiculous a scene as you might imagine.  Everybody is just there to enjoy the music and the communal atmosphere.  All present are respectful of each other, no one will be upset if you say no to an offer for a hit.

Haven't heard anything about folks falling from high places.  And I'm aware of a few high-profile arrests when lot security is tight.  Usually though illicit substances are used quietly and discreetly, don't-ask-don't tell.

Basically what I'm saying is not to let thoughts of a crazy, bizarre concert crowd scare you away.  You'll enjoy yourself... I know you enjoy myself.   :neverusethis:
[/quote]
Yeah that's the kind of atmosphere that I was leaning towards believing that it was real.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2011, 10:16:43 PM »
The documentary Phish It has a lot of crowd shots, and most people are enjoying at least one or two mind-altering substances, and everyone's just chilling and have a great time listening to the jams.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2011, 10:49:19 PM »
Anyone see the 2009 summer tour announcement with the sky writers?? It's so badass. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stL-Z5-Pwb0

Offline razorsedge

« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2011, 11:35:14 AM »
"Runaway Jim" was AWESOME. I love that kind of improvisation. Before, I've been turning to The Allman Brothers Band's "Mountain Jam" to fulfill my extended-jam craving, but now there's a new king. ;D

Anyone seen them live?

i have managed to get to 7 shows.  maybe it's because my first shows were outdoor theaters, but i would say the best phish experience includes a full day on shakedown street.  the new years run was really cool (i showed up in nyc with one ticket and got into all 3 shows!) and the atmosphere at the show is really nice, but i still prefer the vibe at summer shows.

one thing not mentioned yet in this thread is the light show that phish has.  it's nuts.  also, the glow stick wars are pretty much the coolest thing i've seen at a concert, it's sort of impressive how everyone knows when in each song to start going crazy with the glow sticks.       

keys and gates. That's some fantasy shit right there.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2011, 01:42:40 PM »
"Runaway Jim" was AWESOME. I love that kind of improvisation. Before, I've been turning to The Allman Brothers Band's "Mountain Jam" to fulfill my extended-jam craving, but now there's a new king. ;D

Anyone seen them live?

i have managed to get to 7 shows.  maybe it's because my first shows were outdoor theaters, but i would say the best phish experience includes a full day on shakedown street.  the new years run was really cool (i showed up in nyc with one ticket and got into all 3 shows!) and the atmosphere at the show is really nice, but i still prefer the vibe at summer shows.

one thing not mentioned yet in this thread is the light show that phish has.  it's nuts.  also, the glow stick wars are pretty much the coolest thing i've seen at a concert, it's sort of impressive how everyone knows when in each song to start going crazy with the glow sticks.       
That sounds amazing. And how did you get into all three shows with one ticket?!?!?!

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2011, 02:59:08 PM »
Everybody is just there to enjoy the music and the communal atmosphere.

Gonna have to disagree with this statement on the so-called "communal atmosphere" at Phish shows. I have been to six of them (two at Merriweather Post Pavilion, Columbia MD; one at the Verizon Center, Washington, DC; both shows of the Halloween Run in Las Vegas 1998 and a show in California, the venue is escaping me right now) and I have found the wanna-be hippies at Phish shows to be some of the biggest asshats I have ever met at any concert. It is clear that I am not one of those people with enough time and money to just drop out of everyday life and follow the band on tour, and as such, I am not part of that "clique" and have met a lot of very unfriendly people in Phish crowds who want nothing to do with the communal atmosphere you suggest.

As for the music, I really enjoy it. I love the fact that on any given night, anything could be played. The first time I saw them, the encore was a cover of The Beastie Boys' "Sabotage" which was awesome. I got a chuckle out of their performance of "Killing In The Name Of" from the July 4, 2010 show.

Favorite show of what I have has to the NYE '95 show. If I were starting someone on Phish, that is the show I would give them.

Offline razorsedge

« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2011, 04:37:16 PM »

Anyone seen them live?

That sounds amazing. And how did you get into all three shows with one ticket?!?!?!

yeah it was great!

sorry, that wording is misleading; i waited in line all day on the 31st and 1st to get cancellation tickets. i heard some people were paying scalpers almost $200 a ticket before the show, but we waited on line for a few hours and we got tickets at face price. 

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2011, 04:54:54 PM »

Anyone seen them live?

yeah it was great!

sorry, that wording is misleading; i waited in line all day on the 31st and 1st to get cancellation tickets. i heard some people were paying scalpers almost $200 a ticket before the show, but we waited on line for a few hours and we got tickets at face price. 
Oh, I didn't know such things happened... what do you just wait on line at the box office and hope they have hundreds of extra tickets? And my second question: How exactly do these tickets get sold to other people other than who bought them? Like what prompts the ticket to become a cancellation ticket?

And also, the way they announced the 2009 tour is so awesome with the skywriters and everything. There are videos on YouTube.com of it, and it's awesome how you can hear the faint applauses after the the words get written.

Offline razorsedge

« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2011, 06:43:56 PM »

Anyone seen them live?

yeah it was great!

Oh, I didn't know such things happened... what do you just wait on line at the box office and hope they have hundreds of extra tickets? And my second question: How exactly do these tickets get sold to other people other than who bought them? Like what prompts the ticket to become a cancellation ticket?

And also, the way they announced the 2009 tour is so awesome with the skywriters and everything. There are videos on YouTube.com of it, and it's awesome how you can hear the faint applauses after the the words get written.

yeah, we got to the box office around 2 in the afternoon, and there were about ten people on line already, waiting in case tickets became available. basically, i think there a lot of tickets that are reserved by the band or promoters or whoever, and if they don't get picked up by showtime, they release them at the box office.  I think there are also people who cancel tickets they purchased...at a venue the size of msg, there are bound to be some people who end up not being able to attend, so those get released.    i think each night saw about 50 tickets or fewer get released, so a ton of people who didn't get online until 3 or 4 were out of luck.   

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2011, 10:48:19 PM »
This would be awesome if it happened (there's a strong possibility): https://www.bandsthatjam.com/tour-information/update-phish-watkins-glen-2011/

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2011, 09:23:02 PM »
SSSSSSSUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR TOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! https://phish.com/#/tours/summer-2011-tour

I'm definitely gonna hit up at least a couple Bethel shows.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2011, 09:23:52 PM »
Might try to get my cousin to take me to the one in Camden.

Offline sirbradford117

• All you need is love.
« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2011, 04:33:11 AM »
Will be at the Detroit show, most likely.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2011, 12:17:40 PM »
SSSSSSSUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR TOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! https://phish.com/#/tours/summer-2011-tour

Well, I was going to hit up one of the Merriweather Post Pavilion concerts, but looking at the price, I am going to pass. Phish used to be a reasonably priced ticket in the past. Not thrilled with a $60 face value pavilion ticket (likely more than $70 after all is said and done with ticket fees) and I think a $45 face value lawn ticket is highway robbery. I'll just be happy with my LivePhish purchases and call it a day...

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2011, 12:23:17 PM »

Well, I was going to hit up one of the Merriweather Post Pavilion concerts, but looking at the price, I am going to pass. Phish used to be a reasonably priced ticket in the past. Not thrilled with a $60 face value pavilion ticket (likely more than $70 after all is said and done with ticket fees) and I think a $45 face value lawn ticket is highway robbery. I'll just be happy with my LivePhish purchases and call it a day...
Have you seen Phish before?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #90 on: February 24, 2011, 12:29:27 PM »
Nowadays, $60 for pavillion is pretty reasonable.  The "big name" bands are out there charging hundreds for tickets.  I'd be tempted to pick up Phish tickets for $60 for Merriweather if I still lived there.  I love that place.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #91 on: February 24, 2011, 12:30:58 PM »
Whilst I'm very eager to get into Phish, if there's one jam band I'm gonna travel to America to see host a four day festival this summer, it's 'the other big one.'

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #92 on: February 24, 2011, 12:38:50 PM »
What, The Grateful Dead?  I'm sorry to break this to you, but Jerry died a while back.  The guys carrying on are still very good, but between Dead with no Jerry, and Phish with all original parts, I'll take Phish.  Of course, I'd take Phish over original Dead, too.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #93 on: February 24, 2011, 12:40:18 PM »
 :lol I dunno if you were being ironic or not, but I didn't make it very clear - I meant DMB, as they're doing the exact same thing as Phish this summer in terms of the festival. Although I suppose the Dead are bigger. But still, DMB take precedent over Phish for me.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #94 on: February 24, 2011, 12:43:34 PM »
DMB = Dave Matthews Band?

I'm not hip or cool, so I don't know these things.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: February 24, 2011, 12:50:10 PM »
Yeah Dave Matthews Band is hosting a bunch of four (or three?) day festivals themselves in America. However if I see Phish once or twice (which I will) on this tour, I'll probably skip the four-day Watkins Glen festival because between money, getting there, and parental permission, it'll be tough. Phish said they still have summer announcements, HOWEVER, they have no touring plans for the rest of the year after the summer.

I'd die if they headline Gathering Of The Vibes Music Festival, as my friends and I are strongly considering going. Once the lineup's announced I'll make a decision.

As for ticket prices, I think they're very reasonable. I've never seen Phish, but assuming they end at 11:00 PM, that means they play for three hours (assuming intermission is thirty minutes). On top of that, they have one of the best light shows I've ever seen (on YouTube, of course), and their musicianship and overall performance is nearly unmatched. Not to mention the whole 'party' atmosphere at the show. I'm not directly referencing drugs, since it's a party either way. Everyone dances, there are balloons (on New Year's Eve, at least), glow sticks, confetti, etc... Again this all from my video-watching and reading concert reviews, but yeah.

Offline sirbradford117

• All you need is love.
« Reply #96 on: February 25, 2011, 05:22:30 AM »
Yeah Dave Matthews Band is hosting a bunch of four (or three?) day festivals themselves in America. However if I see Phish once or twice (which I will) on this tour, I'll probably skip the four-day Watkins Glen festival because between money, getting there, and parental permission, it'll be tough. Phish said they still have summer announcements, HOWEVER, they have no touring plans for the rest of the year after the summer.

No festival has been officially announced yet.  But rumors are strong.

As for ticket prices, I think they're very reasonable. I've never seen Phish, but assuming they end at 11:00 PM, that means they play for three hours (assuming intermission is thirty minutes). On top of that, they have one of the best light shows I've ever seen (on YouTube, of course), and their musicianship and overall performance is nearly unmatched. Not to mention the whole 'party' atmosphere at the show. I'm not directly referencing drugs, since it's a party either way. Everyone dances, there are balloons (on New Year's Eve, at least), glow sticks, confetti, etc... Again this all from my video-watching and reading concert reviews, but yeah.

I think tickets are overpriced (as are all tickets nowadays).  But for Phish I'd say it's worth it.  The standard Phish show starts between 30-45 minutes late.  Each set is approx 80 minutes (give or take), 20-30 minute setbreak and a 5-10 minute encore.  Add the fun atmosphere and light show.  Add that each show is COMPLETELY unique and you never know what you're gonna get.  $45-60 then becomes reasonable.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #97 on: February 25, 2011, 12:13:20 PM »
Yeah right now my plan is to get reserved seats for the first night of the tour and then lawn tickets for the next night.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #98 on: February 25, 2011, 12:40:57 PM »
As for ticket prices, I think they're very reasonable. I've never seen Phish, but assuming they end at 11:00 PM, that means they play for three hours (assuming intermission is thirty minutes).

If you have never seen them, I would say it is worth the money. However, it has been my experience that shows that are not special (i.e. Halloween, NYE, self-organized festivals) tend to come in around the 2hr to 2.5hr mark. I picked up a few of the LivePhish shows from the summer 2010 that were released so I can get you a more accurate number. But other than the Halloween '98 show, I have never seen them on stage for more than 2.5 hours in a given night. Still nothing to sneeze at, but $70 or more depending on how fees shake out is not something I am prepared to spend. Your milage may vary...

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #99 on: February 25, 2011, 01:01:57 PM »

Yes, 6 times between 1998 and 2000 (if you scroll up, you will get my very different perception of the "party" vibe of being in a Phish audience) - twice at Merriweather Post Pavilion, once at the Verizon Center in Washington DC, once in California right before they went on their hiatus in the early 2000 and both shows of the 1998 Halloween run in Las Vegas.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #100 on: February 25, 2011, 01:11:39 PM »

Yes, 6 times between 1998 and 2000 (if you scroll up, you will get my very different perception of the "party" vibe of being in a Phish audience) - twice at Merriweather Post Pavilion, once at the Verizon Center in Washington DC, once in California right before they went on their hiatus in the early 2000 and both shows of the 1998 Halloween run in Las Vegas.
Oh alright, 'cause I was gonna say, at least from my perspective of never seeing them, it seems that it would be well worth the money, but since you've already seen them you can make an informed opinion.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #101 on: February 25, 2011, 01:34:30 PM »

Oh alright, 'cause I was gonna say, at least from my perspective of never seeing them, it seems that it would be well worth the money, but since you've already seen them you can make an informed opinion.

I would not hesitate to recommend you (or anyone) see them if we are strictly talking the quality and enjoyment of the performance itself. The live show is incredible. The visual atmosphere is its own brand of unique in a good way. Unfortunately I have had some less than positive interactions with their fans at shows so I weigh that in the overall equations of whether I want to spend the money to see them again. My threshold for putting up with bullshit decreases the more I pay for tickets. And with the travelling road circus that will pack out the Merriweather Post grounds with thousands of people without tickets makes the whole process very agrivating on a lot of levels (parking being the main one). I would be more willing to spend the money for an arena show than a pavilion show.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #102 on: February 25, 2011, 02:00:47 PM »

I would not hesitate to recommend you (or anyone) see them if we are strictly talking the quality and enjoyment of the performance itself. The live show is incredible. The visual atmosphere is its own brand of unique in a good way. Unfortunately I have had some less than positive interactions with their fans at shows so I weigh that in the overall equations of whether I want to spend the money to see them again. My threshold for putting up with bullshit decreases the more I pay for tickets. And with the travelling road circus that will pack out the Merriweather Post grounds with thousands of people without tickets makes the whole process very agrivating on a lot of levels (parking being the main one). I would be more willing to spend the money for an arena show than a pavilion show.
I can actually perfectly understand what you're talking about, and I've heard from other people that people without tickets at Phish shows get pretty hairy. Tons of arrests are made according to articles I've read as a result of people that couldn't get in. Plus the millions of dollars in drugs that are confiscated. Brownies before getting out of the car FTW.

Offline sirbradford117

• All you need is love.
« Reply #103 on: February 25, 2011, 03:41:49 PM »

I can actually perfectly understand what you're talking about, and I've heard from other people that people without tickets at Phish shows get pretty hairy. Tons of arrests are made according to articles I've read as a result of people that couldn't get in. Plus the millions of dollars in drugs that are confiscated. Brownies before getting out of the car FTW.

The drug scene is simply not that rampant, Birch.  In my experience it is obvious that illicit substances are being used, but under a "don't-ask-don't-tell" assumption.  It's not like Haight/Ashbury in '67...

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #104 on: February 25, 2011, 04:59:42 PM »
Also, Merriweather Post Pavillion is in a very conservative, tightly-controlled community.  I know because I lived there for a year, and got the hell out.  Even at a Phish concert, I really doubt that there's going to be much open drug use.  There will be cops everywhere.