Author Topic: Can we talk about Phish?  (Read 35844 times)

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Can we talk about Phish?
« Reply #105 on: February 26, 2011, 12:42:33 PM »
Well that's good then. And about the cops, here's a quote from an article I was reading the other day:

Investigative agencies working at the shows included Hampton, Poquoson and Newport News police departments;  NCIS;  DEA; Virginia State Police; ABC; the Army's Criminal Investigations Division (CID); Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE); the Air Force's Office of Special Investigations; and the Hampton Sheriff’s Office.

Also, have you guys seen them do any like special covers or anything? I know every show's different but sometimes they do one-off covers or something like that.

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
« Reply #106 on: February 26, 2011, 07:35:29 PM »
Well that's good then. And about the cops, here's a quote from an article I was reading the other day:

Investigative agencies working at the shows included Hampton, Poquoson and Newport News police departments;  NCIS;  DEA; Virginia State Police; ABC; the Army's Criminal Investigations Division (CID); Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE); the Air Force's Office of Special Investigations; and the Hampton Sheriff’s Office.

Also, have you guys seen them do any like special covers or anything? I know every show's different but sometimes they do one-off covers or something like that.

Yeah, there was a lot of police presence at the reunion shows in Hampton, VA in '09.  Not everywhere.

I haven't personally caught any one-off covers.  But there were quite a few I heard on tape last summer, including "Instant Karma" and "The Rover"
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #107 on: February 27, 2011, 02:36:16 PM »
I'd loove to see one. They're playing Bethel on Memorial Day Weekend so hopefully that'll warrant something cool. I know they played "Killing In The Name" on the fourth of July one year. :metalol:

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #108 on: March 01, 2011, 09:04:39 AM »

8/8/1998 - Debuts of Sweet Jane (Velvet Underground) and Sabotage (Beastie Boys - fantastic encore to end the show).
10/30/1998 - Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress (The Animals, I believe), Freebird (acapella, including solo, not necessarily unique, but a rare performance of it)
10/31/1998 - entire performance of Velvet Underground's Loaded (musical costume for Halloween)

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #109 on: March 01, 2011, 12:49:20 PM »

8/8/1998 - Debuts of Sweet Jane (Velvet Underground) and Sabotage (Beastie Boys - fantastic encore to end the show).
10/30/1998 - Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress (The Animals, I believe), Freebird (acapella, including solo, not necessarily unique, but a rare performance of it)
10/31/1998 - entire performance of Velvet Underground's Loaded (musical costume for Halloween)

Oh my god I'd kill to see that. I watch videos of it on YouTube all the time.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #110 on: March 01, 2011, 01:12:32 PM »

Oh my god I'd kill to see that. I watch videos of it on YouTube all the time.

Of the Phish shows I have attended, the 10/30/98 remains my favorite. That show was a lot of fun. In contrast, the Halloween show one night later ranks as my least favorite. I didn't care for the musical costume (it was supposed to be an album from the 90s to follow the trend of the other Halloween shows and when they could not come to an agreement, they went with the VU album and since I am not a VU fan, it was a big ho-hum for me) followed by an extended ambient jam in the three-song third set that went nowhere and bored me to tears. I couldn't wait to get out of the Thomas & Mack Center on Halloween...

Offline sirbradford117

• All you need is love.
« Reply #111 on: March 01, 2011, 02:35:04 PM »
....followed by an extended ambient jam in the three-song third set that went nowhere and bored me to tears. I couldn't wait to get out of the Thomas & Mack Center on Halloween...

Yeah, that's certainly an interesting set to say the least.  I think I like it because it was so exploratory, but I'm not sure after just one listen.  For me, no "Wolfman's Brother" comes close to topping 11/30/97...

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #112 on: March 01, 2011, 02:44:05 PM »
....followed by an extended ambient jam in the three-song third set that went nowhere and bored me to tears. I couldn't wait to get out of the Thomas & Mack Center on Halloween...

Yeah, that's certainly an interesting set to say the least.  I think I like it because it was so exploratory, but I'm not sure after just one listen.  For me, no "Wolfman's Brother" comes close to topping 11/30/97...

My collection of live Phish is limited so I can't agree or disagree with that assessment, but I do like the version that is on Slip, Stich and Pass.

As for that Halloween third set, it never grew on me. I have the official LivePhish release and listen only to disc one and disc four from that collection. On occassion, I throw in the third set for kicks, but I just don't get any enjoyment listening to it. After I failed to connect with the musical costume while at the show, I was hoping for something to bring me back into the concert and for me, it was the absolute worst thing they could have followed up the cover album with.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #113 on: March 12, 2011, 05:22:31 PM »
Just bought my tickets for Bethel Woods Center for the Arts in Bethel, NY on 5/28, soooo excited. If I had more money I'd've bought tickets to the opening night of the tour too (the one I'm going to is the second night). I bought the last six lawn tickets, selling out the show.

I listened to The White Tape last night, and here are some random thoughts about it:

-"The Divided Sky" into "Slave To The Traffic Light" is absolutely amazing. I was taking a walk today and listening to it, and couldn't help but smile the whole time. Seeing them perform this duo live and segued would make me astronomically happy.

-In my opinion, "Ingest" is about doing N20 (obviously the next song is about N20 too), and the laughing and popping noises go hand in hand at nitrous circles (the popping being the balloons). I also find it humorous that they so obviously named a song after such a widely used drug by their fan base (as opposed to phan base... we all know about the nitrous mafia).

-"Dog Gone Dog" is one of my favorites off the album.

-Trey Anastasio is awesome.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #114 on: March 12, 2011, 09:12:30 PM »
Got a ticket today. Should be a cool experience.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2011, 09:21:14 PM »
GLOWSTICKS!! :2metal:

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #117 on: March 12, 2011, 09:23:56 PM »
I'm bringing some. ;D

And also some... "pastries..." if ya know what I mean. :hat :hat :hat

How 'bout those lights though?

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #118 on: March 12, 2011, 09:24:46 PM »
Cool shit man. I think it will be a fun experience as a whole. Musically, I might not be into it as much as other dudes, but I am not really going for the music, tbh.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #119 on: March 12, 2011, 09:28:31 PM »
It definitely is an experience like you said, more than most all other concerts. It's more like a festival atmosphere based on videos I've seen.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #120 on: March 12, 2011, 09:29:02 PM »
Yeah, I definitely get that vibe.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #121 on: March 12, 2011, 09:36:37 PM »
Are you going alone?

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #122 on: March 12, 2011, 09:41:00 PM »
I'm going to my cousin and a shit ton of his friends. Thing is, he is like 32 so it might be a bit weird...hope not though.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #123 on: March 12, 2011, 09:53:48 PM »
Haha well if they're going to see Phish than they have to be pretty cool.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #124 on: March 18, 2011, 09:42:57 PM »
I got my tickets in the mail today. Had to place two separate orders because the limit was four per order.

I'm kicking myself for not entering the Phish Tickets By Mail lottery, so I might order two lottery tickets for the same show, and also lawn (which is what my current tickets are for), and find two more people to come to the show, this way I can have a lottery ticket. The only thing is, the lottery tickets don't get to the winner until approximately two weeks before the show, so that would mean there's a two-week period for the seller to mail me the tickets as soon as he gets them. The one I'm looking are in New Jersey, and I'm in New York. Do you guys think I'll be safe as far as getting them before the show?

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #125 on: March 31, 2011, 06:14:10 PM »
It doesn't seem like you guys are keeping up with news updates so I'll just post that they're releasing a live show from Japan to benefit Japan, and also, they announced Super Ball IX today. It's a three-day Phish-only festival from July 1st to July 3rd at Watkins Glen International in Watkins Glen, NY. Tickets are $200 each and include on-site camping and a free download of every set Phish plays there. I'm gonna try to go.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #126 on: March 31, 2011, 10:29:55 PM »
I hadn't heard about any of that, so thanks for the update! :tup

Offline YtsePhish

« Reply #127 on: April 02, 2011, 08:23:46 AM »
SUPER BALL 9 is going to be awesome. The Japan Relief show (7/31/99) is a sweet one too. You can download it 4/15 at livephish.com It has a very epic 2001 (15 minutes) --> David Bowie (25 minutes)

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #128 on: April 02, 2011, 08:23:49 PM »
I hadn't heard about any of that, so thanks for the update! :tup
:tup

SUPER BALL 9 is going to be awesome. The Japan Relief show (7/31/99) is a sweet one too. You can download it 4/15 at livephish.com It has a very epic 2001 (15 minutes) --> David Bowie (25 minutes)
I'll hopefully get it soon. I've also been eying the hundred-dollar Joy box set... very tempting.

Offline razorsedge

« Reply #129 on: April 06, 2011, 12:32:41 AM »
definitely going to be at super ball.  my first festival!

also, has anyone given a listen to the "phish destroys america" collection?  when i first acquired it i was sort of skeptical that one tour leg could really contain so many gems.  but really, it's a fucking amazing collection.  that antelope is the best i've heard.  hood is as good as it gets.  top notch bowie. comet, theme, fluffhead...all nasty.  the big jams get nice and spacey without losing direction and everything kept under 18 minutes is just tight as hell, strong and focused. i dunno, give it a listen if you can, really amazing stuff. 

also a new love is live phish 9. it's a summer show from '89 and kicks all sorts of ass.

keys and gates. That's some fantasy shit right there.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #130 on: April 06, 2011, 09:05:04 PM »
Live In Utica box set just announced. Prolly gonna pre-order it soon, along with getting the Joy hundred-dollar box.

Offline sirbradford117

• All you need is love.
« Reply #131 on: April 07, 2011, 07:11:31 AM »
Live In Utica box set just announced. Prolly gonna pre-order it soon, along with getting the Joy hundred-dollar box.

I'M SO EXCITED!!!!  That show from Utica is hands-down the best concert they've played since their reunion in 2009...  it's a MUST-buy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #132 on: April 07, 2011, 01:01:15 PM »
Awesome, I'm even more excited for it then.

Offline sirbradford117

• All you need is love.
« Reply #133 on: April 12, 2011, 11:02:11 AM »
3 nights at the UIC Pavillion in Chicago just announced.  I smile'd.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #134 on: April 12, 2011, 06:34:06 PM »
Still need to find an adult to go to Super Ball IX with me... :sadpanda:

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #135 on: April 27, 2011, 08:37:23 AM »
I just picked up the 10/30/2010 CD set and what a fun show it is. I love the Zepp teasers woven in and out of "Tweezer." Wish I was at this show. And a bargain at $14.99 from my local indie CD shop....

Offline sirbradford117

• All you need is love.
« Reply #136 on: April 27, 2011, 04:59:33 PM »
I just picked up the 10/30/2010 CD set and what a fun show it is. I love the Zepp teasers woven in and out of "Tweezer."

... and then of course the "Ha Ha Ha" right afterwards.  They obviously teased Zeppelin to dispel the rumors about the following night's musical costume.  Those bastards...

Offline sirbradford117

• All you need is love.
« Reply #137 on: May 27, 2011, 08:33:14 AM »
Bump.  Summer tour starts tonight.

And for anyone looking for a good excuse to get into this band... go out and pick up a copy of the new DVD, "Live in Utica."

Offline YtsePhish

« Reply #138 on: May 28, 2011, 07:24:41 PM »
I'm sitting here listening to a live stream of 5/28. This has to be the best first set they've played since they've been back. Absolutely sick! First jammed out Halley's in a LONG time. Birch Boy you lucky bastard

Offline sirbradford117

• All you need is love.
« Reply #139 on: May 31, 2011, 07:33:31 AM »
I'm sitting here listening to a live stream of 5/28. This has to be the best first set they've played since they've been back. Absolutely sick! First jammed out Halley's in a LONG time. Birch Boy you lucky bastard

Sweet Lord, no kidding.  That was an amazing show.