Author Topic: Metropolis Pt. 1 Instrumental is Fantastic  (Read 14639 times)

Offline OperantChamber

Metropolis Pt. 1 Instrumental is Fantastic
« on: July 01, 2010, 07:40:27 AM »
I'm sure most people can agree that the instrumental section in Metropolis Pt. 1 is great, but why is it an instrumental section like the one in Endless Sacrifice hated?
*Runs.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Re: Metropolis Pt. 1 Instrumental is Fantastic
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 07:45:07 AM »
I don't know, I love both of them.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 07:50:17 AM »
Personally I think the instrumental section in Metropolis somehow fits, while in Endless Sacrifice it's kinda out of place. Most of the song is quite dark and melancholic, and the instrumental section is just fast and technical.

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 07:54:10 AM »
Personally I think the instrumental section in Metropolis somehow fits, while in Endless Sacrifice it's kinda out of place. Most of the song is quite dark and melancholic, and the instrumental section is just fast and technical.
Were DT songs ever consistent? I love the instrumental section of Endless Sacrifice precisely because it presents an awesome transition.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 08:05:32 AM »
I also dislike the Endless Sacrifice intrumental section. Seems too forced.

Offline LTE

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 08:34:16 AM »
Endless Sacrifice would be better if they removed the solo tradeoff near the end of the instrumental section.
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Offline perfey

• Stiletto in the sand
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 08:35:12 AM »

Offline Mladen

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 08:37:19 AM »
Metropolis instrumental is phenomenal and their best in my opinion. Endless sacrifice has a cool instrumental portion, but it doesn't sound as original and spontaneous. Some good riffs, but I find it kinda repetitive. Still good, though.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 09:16:02 AM »
Metropolis Pt. 1 is a DT classic and the instrumental is a large part of that.  ES is a completely different animal.  Although I don't hate the ES instrumental, there really is no comparison.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 09:26:40 AM »

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 09:38:23 AM »
Other than the usual responses, which is what these past posts were. Why else is the instrumental in Endless Sacrifice so hated, when it fits the context of the song? It transitions perfectly into  and ending with that same heaviness. Personally Metropolis sounds less smooth and more a wankfest, it's probably cause it has the classic label meaning it's superior than the new.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 09:52:43 AM »
I really like both, The instrumental section in Metropolis is what makes that song listenable to me, but I must say that the Endless sacrifice instrumental section is better, so technical and hard and awesome, and unexpected, that's nice aswell.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 10:04:45 AM »
I wouldn't have any problems with the Endless Sacrifice instrumental if it was in a different song, but here it just doesn't fit. The song has a strong atmosphere, and then the instrumental appears and kind of ruins it. It's not like e.g. The Ministry of Lost Souls where the instrumental actually sounds dramatic and fits well despite sounding quite different, here it's just... well, out of nowhere.

As for Metropolis, they have many better instrumentals, but it's just a good one and doesn't feel out of place.

Offline TL

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 10:17:34 AM »
Metropolis pt.1, if I remember correctly, was originally written as an instrumental. That's why the instrumental portion fits as well as it does.
With Endless Sacrifice, I don't have a problem with the entire instrumental break; just a small portion of it. It's a moody, melodic song, and then in the middle of it, we get circus noises. It's seriously a handful of seconds that ruin that instrumental break for me.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 10:20:01 AM »
I find that with a lot of I&W (era) songs, the instrumental sections seemed like an intrinsic part of the song's identity, as opposed to simply an obligation by the band. If anything, the instrumental sections in Metropolis, Learning To Live and Under A Glass Moon are actually more memorable to me than the 'actual song' parts.

Conversely, in basically everything post (suprisingly, even to me as I realise it) Falling Into Infinity, the instrumental sections seem to simply be there largely for the sake of it. Sure, the sections in Home, Glass Prison, Misunderstood and Endless Sacrifice etc are very good, but they seem to play second fiddle to the more traditional sections of the songs they're in, whereas in the I&W-FII era the instrumental sections really felt like they had as much, if not probably more effort, put into them as the verses and choruses.

Just my two cents, and I suppose all of that's entirely subjective.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 11:09:11 AM »
I wouldn't have any problems with the Endless Sacrifice instrumental if it was in a different song, but here it just doesn't fit. The song has a strong atmosphere, and then the instrumental appears and kind of ruins it. It's not like e.g. The Ministry of Lost Souls where the instrumental actually sounds dramatic and fits well despite sounding quite different, here it's just... well, out of nowhere.

As for Metropolis, they have many better instrumentals, but it's just a good one and doesn't feel out of place.

I like it when stuff is like, out of nowehere, I think all this talk about that something doesn't "fit" is just ridicoulus

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2010, 11:25:17 AM »
For me, the problems with the ES instrumental section are (1) is isn't nearly as well constructed as, e.g., Metropolis and (2) it feels out of place in the song.

As for not being well contructed, I don't mean that it doesn't transition in and out of the song well.  The transitions are actually pretty good.  But it's very random and far too showy for the type of song it is in (which overlaps into point #2).  The instrumental section in Metropolis is also random and over the top, but it feels like it was constructed to sound that way, and in the context of the song, that mood fits.  Even if the ES instrumental section was very deliberately crafted to sound chaotic, it doesn't come across that way.  It just comes across as random.

And as far as fitting, as has been pointed out, the mood of ES is somewhat dark and extremely emotional.  It is about questioning one's life choices that keep him and his family apart and have taken a toll on the family relationship.  I realize the "feel" of an instrumental section is largely subjective, but the instrumental section doesn't feel to me like it fits that vibe at all.  I don't hate it, and I can appreciate it, but it detracts from the feeling the song is trying to create.

Personally Metropolis sounds less smooth and more a wankfest, it's probably cause it has the classic label meaning it's superior than the new.

Sorry, but honestly, that's just a dumb thing to say.  Something is not superior simply because it is old. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2010, 11:39:47 AM »
Take our administrator, for example...

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2010, 11:40:46 AM »
Metropolis, Pt 1 is the one that started it all.  They were intentionally trying to get as nuts as they could, but still make it work.  I think they made it work.  Despite taking off and going completely insane for a few, it comes back and you feel like you've been on an awesome trip.

A lot of the instrumental sections recently sound like they're just there because at some point they decided "and then we'll have an awesome instrumental section, then the chorus comes back..." so they wrote one.  They don't feel like they grow organically out of the song itself.  Now, shocking transitions can be cool, but even that can be overdone.

As much as I love Dream Theater and admire their chops and all that, most of what they've done recently just hasn't grabbed me, and I think that's partly because they've done it all before.  Not necessarily better, but already done.  Too much of it seems like "the quest to make all songs as long as possible" and "we will now amaze you with yet another highly technical instrumental".  But mostly it's "people fucking love Metropolis part one so let's just do every song like that".

The stuff on Images and Words somehow feels more genuine to me.  They weren't trying to live up to anything, they were still proving themselves and laying it all out there, but only after refining those tunes for years.  That's why the early "classic" stuff is superior.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2010, 11:46:51 AM »
Excellent post, Orbert. :tup :tup

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2010, 11:54:31 AM »
Thanks! :tup

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2010, 12:22:44 PM »
I'm ok with the first paragraph, but sorry, the rest is typical "back in I&W days it was all awesome". The modern instrumental sections aren't in any way inferior or any more of a technical show-off than they were in the early days. They are built mostly equally well, fit the song equally well if not better (Endless Sacrifice is the only counter-example in the entire discography that comes to my mind) and have just as much soul. Metropolis wasn't even the one to start it, The Killing Hand was. If you like Metropolis' instrumental the most - very well, but saying recent instrumentals have less soul or trying to write Metropolis again (?!?!) is seriously stretched and feels like what I said in the first sentence...

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2010, 12:40:23 PM »
Metropolis, Pt 1 is the one that started it all.  They were intentionally trying to get as nuts as they could, but still make it work.  I think they made it work.  Despite taking off and going completely insane for a few, it comes back and you feel like you've been on an awesome trip.

A lot of the instrumental sections recently sound like they're just there because at some point they decided "and then we'll have an awesome instrumental section, then the chorus comes back..." so they wrote one.  They don't feel like they grow organically out of the song itself.  Now, shocking transitions can be cool, but even that can be overdone.

As much as I love Dream Theater and admire their chops and all that, most of what they've done recently just hasn't grabbed me, and I think that's partly because they've done it all before.  Not necessarily better, but already done.  Too much of it seems like "the quest to make all songs as long as possible" and "we will now amaze you with yet another highly technical instrumental".  But mostly it's "people fucking love Metropolis part one so let's just do every song like that".

The stuff on Images and Words somehow feels more genuine to me.  They weren't trying to live up to anything, they were still proving themselves and laying it all out there, but only after refining those tunes for years.  That's why the early "classic" stuff is superior.
:tup

The best recent instrumentals to me are easily the one in Octavarium and the beginning of TCOT. Everything else isn't quite on par, although I do love them (fanboy). Yet the older stuff did indeed feel more genuine.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2010, 02:03:51 PM »
I'm ok with the first paragraph, but sorry, the rest is typical "back in I&W days it was all awesome". The modern instrumental sections aren't in any way inferior or any more of a technical show-off than they were in the early days. They are built mostly equally well, fit the song equally well if not better (Endless Sacrifice is the only counter-example in the entire discography that comes to my mind) and have just as much soul. Metropolis wasn't even the one to start it, The Killing Hand was. If you like Metropolis' instrumental the most - very well, but saying recent instrumentals have less soul or trying to write Metropolis again (?!?!) is seriously stretched and feels like what I said in the first sentence...

::)

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2010, 02:46:37 PM »
Endless Sacrifice has the same problem as TMoLS. I love the instrumental sections of both songs, but the problem is they are placed in songs where they do not belong. With a bit of tweaking and lengthening, they could make great stand alone instrumental tracks. But within the songs, they just seem...out of place.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2010, 04:28:07 PM »
Endless Sacrifice has the same problem as TMoLS. I love the instrumental sections of both songs, but the problem is they are placed in songs where they do not belong. With a bit of tweaking and lengthening, they could make great stand alone instrumental tracks. But within the songs, they just seem...out of place.
THIS THIS, I'm always thinking about how awesome TMoLS would be if it was a suite instead of just one song.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2010, 04:37:03 PM »

Elaborate?

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2010, 04:43:59 PM »
GUITAR SOLO
KEYBOARD SOLO
GUITAR SOLO
WEE-DEE-LEE-DEE-LEE-WEE-DOO!

Or what Orbert said.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2010, 05:39:21 PM »
The "Metropolis" instrumental - and I would argue this is the case with many of their old instrumentals - is as catchy as a chorus.

The "Endless Sacrifice" instrumental - and I would argue this is the case with many of their new instrumentals - is a boring guitar-keyboard shred duel.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline OperantChamber

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2010, 07:06:10 PM »
First of all I do want to say that I am a bit biased because I have a personal connection to the lyrics of this song.

Funny, TMoLS is one of the few instrumentals I feel should have been used somewhere else.

Metropolis pt.1, if I remember correctly, was originally written as an instrumental. That's why the instrumental portion fits as well as it does.
With Endless Sacrifice, I don't have a problem with the entire instrumental break; just a small portion of it. It's a moody, melodic song, and then in the middle of it, we get circus noises. It's seriously a handful of seconds that ruin that instrumental break for me.

I'd agree if the 'circus noises' were in the middle of a verse or chorus, (where the song is moody and melodic) but they're in the middle of the chaotic and fast paced instrumental section. Also, I listen to stuff like Diablo Swing/Unexpect/Akphaezya so circus noises are more than welcome.

As for not being well contructed, I don't mean that it doesn't transition in and out of the song well.  The transitions are actually pretty good.  But it's very random and far too showy for the type of song it is in (which overlaps into point #2).  The instrumental section in Metropolis is also random and over the top, but it feels like it was constructed to sound that way, and in the context of the song, that mood fits.  Even if the ES instrumental section was very deliberately crafted to sound chaotic, it doesn't come across that way.  It just comes across as random.

And as far as fitting, as has been pointed out, the mood of ES is somewhat dark and extremely emotional.  It is about questioning one's life choices that keep him and his family apart and have taken a toll on the family relationship.  I realize the "feel" of an instrumental section is largely subjective, but the instrumental section doesn't feel to me like it fits that vibe at all.  I don't hate it, and I can appreciate it, but it detracts from the feeling the song is trying to create.

Both instrumental sections are pretty showy, random, and chaotic. I wouldn't say either is doing more of any one of those things.
As for the vibe, I totally get where you are coming from but I look at this way: I once saw a poster here say that the instrumental in Metropolis felt like a tour through the city. (Might've been one of you guys in this thread!) The instrumental in ES, to me of course, feels like a display of what they are making the sacrifice for. It might be a bit of a stretch for some, and that's perfectly fine too.

So would you agree that a person that did not start with I&W wouldn't feel this way? Also, I've heard several times that DT songs emerge from jam sessions. I don't think they're deliberately stuffing instrumentals into every song, but I'd say it is a possibility.
This just made me wonder what Wither would be like with a 4 minute jam. :lol

THIS THIS, I'm always thinking about how awesome TMoLS would be if it was a suite instead of just one song.

I don't care much for TMoLS for a couple of reasons, but I love the instrumental that's buried in there. A suite would've been great.

The "Metropolis" instrumental - and I would argue this is the case with many of their old instrumentals - is as catchy as a chorus.

The "Endless Sacrifice" instrumental - and I would argue this is the case with many of their new instrumentals - is a boring guitar-keyboard shred duel.

Most of the section has some banging rhythm riffs. Pretty catchy to me.
A shrug emote would be great here.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2010, 07:14:02 PM »
You have a personal connection the lyrics of Metropolis?

........julian?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2010, 07:17:51 PM »

Elaborate?
Probably not really necessary.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline OperantChamber

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2010, 07:26:35 PM »
You have a personal connection the lyrics of Metropolis?

........julian?

:rollin :rollin :rollin
I guess I should've clarifired.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2010, 07:27:05 PM »
Oh, I quite like their transitions. Especially Endless Sacrifice. I really love that moment where it explodes. Shit gets real, as they say. Foreshadowed in the heavy choruses, too. I think it works.

I'll also say that the orchestral noises are the highlight for me, but I do think it goes on a bit too long with too much repetition.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2010, 07:28:34 PM »
The ES "instrumental" section doesn't feel like an instrumental piece of composition so much as solos trading back and forth between JP and JR.  They aren't the same thing.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.