Author Topic: The Official Blind Guardian Thread v. Yup, Still a Necrothread  (Read 94386 times)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Blind Guardian Thread v. Yup, Still a Necrothread
« Reply #175 on: December 12, 2014, 11:01:23 AM »
The music that is played around 3:55 is really awesome, sounds like something that could be on the new album.  I hope so at least.

Agreed, it sounds epic
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #176 on: December 19, 2014, 04:41:27 AM »
New one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvH9vC66P6M

And the ochestral part of the previous trailer in extended here, sounds epic indeed. Some songs are going to sound absolutely massive on this album.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #177 on: January 16, 2015, 04:49:38 AM »
So the latest two trailers here, the best ones yet imo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z0kwDK3vEM
#4. This one contains bits of the more classical powermetal songs/parts and some damn cathy lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C49uw12bPJc&feature=youtu.be
#5. And here, the orchestra's kick in! Sounds awesome. Near the end you hear a part of a song with orchestra and the band full on.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: January 16, 2015, 05:57:46 AM »
Nice, I like what I hear so far.  I will actually be in Germany for the release.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #179 on: January 20, 2015, 03:34:40 PM »
So I have been listening to this one for about two days (I was too weak, sorry guys  :blush).

First, the negative: the production is bad. Distractingly so at the beginning. In my first listening I could not hear what was going on at times. It gets better when you adjust to it though. And at least it does sound energetic and not sterile.

But holy shit, there was no lack of ambition, creativity and energy while making this album. The single was not representative at all (which I do like, btw). Each song has its own thing going on and they have a lot of different types of choruses here. The album feels a bit like a combination of the previous three (leaning a bit towards A Night of the Opera) with plenty innovation for the band. Especially Hansi and Andre are great here, very versatile vocals (Hansi's best since ANATO) and lots of cool leads and solos. Favourite songs are Sacred Mind, Holy Grail and Prophecies so far. I think it is a magnificent album and a grower (alltough I never can say anything about the long term).
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 03:40:47 PM by ErHaO »

Online gazinwales

« Reply #180 on: January 21, 2015, 02:20:32 AM »
The only leak so far is a web rip, which due to the nature of the source, are usually shit quality and not worth bothering about.

Offline adace

« Reply #181 on: January 21, 2015, 04:28:01 AM »
New album's really good. My favorite track is The Ninth Wave. Dat choir and chorus :hefdaddy

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: January 21, 2015, 07:55:23 AM »
The only leak so far is a web rip, which due to the nature of the source, are usually shit quality and not worth bothering about.

I'll stay resvered in judgment on sound until the albums released but the youtube single was one of the worst sounding releases Ive heard.  I understand that was a crap youtube but I would not be surprised if the album sounded like shit which really sucks.

But I'm glad to hear positive reviews on the actual music.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: January 21, 2015, 04:19:18 PM »
The first 2'20'' of The Ninth Wave sounds like they could have been part of the Prince of Egypt soundtrack. I wish the song would have stuck more on those melodies.
Talking about the production, while is true that the web rip makes things sound worse than how they actually sound, still they're usually valid indicators of what the final product will be.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #184 on: January 21, 2015, 04:35:57 PM »
What exactly is a web rip? Is it the same as a stream, and if so, for who? Reviewers? Don't they still get physical copies?

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #185 on: January 21, 2015, 08:55:32 PM »
What exactly is a web rip? Is it the same as a stream, and if so, for who? Reviewers? Don't they still get physical copies?

Not always.

As someone who gets more than his fair share of promos every day for review and to play on my radio show. It is MUCH easier to labels to send MP3s of an album than spending money to get a physical copy and sending it out in the mail. That's how life is now a days, I have no problem with that.

Now, as far as Web Rips. Depending on the label, the MP3 files can range from 128K- 320K. A lot of labels send out 192K promos first so if they do leak, it's not true quality. When it is Web Ripped, that usually means that the songs are not entirely available for download, but rather streamable for just the reviewer. And there are people who use whatever app to download the files and share them through leaking. When you do that, no matter what size or quality the files are, they get downgraded. So if the label puts up a 192K album, it will be downgraded to what sounds like 128K, but the same size as 192 due to deterioration from flash downloading.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 02:53:25 AM by ariich »
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #186 on: January 22, 2015, 02:54:11 AM »
Can we not talk about ways to illegally download music please? Had to edit your post a bit, JR.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #187 on: January 22, 2015, 11:14:22 AM »
This album is brutal

ly boring. I'm giving it one more chance before ditching it.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #188 on: January 22, 2015, 02:02:09 PM »
To me this feels like their best since Nightfall and without filler (the only song that comes close to that is the single).

But each to his own, offcourse. I did need some time to adjust to this one. But then again I never liked a BG album after one listening.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #189 on: January 22, 2015, 05:44:45 PM »
There just seem to be no good hooks or melodies. I think the single is the only stand out track on the album myself.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: January 23, 2015, 06:02:38 AM »
The newest video is up, Hansi mentions that this album is much more difficult to sing along to. 

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #191 on: January 23, 2015, 07:46:53 AM »
Cool to see a live practice video of them! Indeed this seems like a difficult album to translate to a live setting. I think Prophecies, Twilight of the Gods and Holy Grail will make an appearance on the setlist.

There just seem to be no good hooks or melodies. I think the single is the only stand out track on the album myself.

The first two listenings I was a bit lost and a lot of the choruses did not really captivate me (the second time I did appreciate some standout moments already, however). But those grew immensly over a few days. I think each song is quite distinct from another and every chorus has another set up (previously, a lot of their choruses were just the words of the song title with a choir and/or 100 Hansi's overdubbed, much like Twilight of the Gods). Prophecies is everything good about their previous album's mid tempo epics distilled into one song, ATEOT is an opera'ish song that manages to feel and build like a large epic within 7 minutes playtime, Holy Grail and Sacred Mind bring back the old days whilst having plenty of new elements and Grand Parade is the perfect closure to me, with tons of melodies. The way the orchestras go with the band at points is awesome (namely in ATEOT, the Throne and Grand Parade). I also love that instead of their trademark medieval ballad, they have chosen for a song that could almost be written by Queen (Miracle Machine).

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #192 on: January 23, 2015, 02:31:53 PM »
I don't know. It just seems like Blind Guardian by the numbers. The songs kind of just ramble on until the chorus. I don't reallyy like Miracle Machine at all. I like the intro to The Ninth Wave, but then Hansi talks for a while, then there's a decent chorus. They don't know to how to write good verses anymore it seems.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #193 on: January 23, 2015, 03:26:42 PM »
I'm thinking you might be getting bored with Blind Guardian.  This album is good and recalls past albums. Which means styles, tones, structures, etc...it's what DT did with their self-titled and ADTOE.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #194 on: January 23, 2015, 04:47:47 PM »
You might be right, but I do enjoy DT12. Not a single complaint. ADTOE is decent, but can be slumped into the barrel with SC and BC&SL. It's way better than those two, but doesn't have much replay value aside from a couple songs.

Back to Blind Guardian, At the Edge of Time was a great album. A return to form, but this new one just seems like they're going through the motions. They all sound great, but the music is lifeless, if that makes sense.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #195 on: January 24, 2015, 08:46:56 AM »
Blind Guardian albums (especially their recent output) usually take a while to sink in for me, so I'm reserving my judgment until I've had a few more. At the Edge of Time took almost a year to really click. There's definitely a ton of variety, and the bonus track, Distant Memories, is fucking phenomenal.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: January 24, 2015, 10:23:13 AM »
Blind Guardian albums (especially their recent output) usually take a while to sink in for me, so I'm reserving my judgment until I've had a few more. At the Edge of Time took almost a year to really click. There's definitely a ton of variety, and the bonus track, Distant Memories, is fucking phenomenal.

Its funny because ATEoT was the only BG album that clicked on first listen for me, but otherwise, Id agree that they normally take a bunch of listnes before it becomes "Wow this is fuckin awesome"

Offline FiberglassMoon

« Reply #197 on: January 24, 2015, 02:34:46 PM »
I've given it three spins so far...and I'm inclined to agree with Zook.  For now, at least.  Very few of the hooks or melodies really grab me, and between the choruses the songs seem to meander aimlessly.  I really enjoyed At the Edge of Time from the very first listen so I can't help but be disappointed with this album right now.  Here's to hoping that it'll start clicking with a few more listens.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: January 27, 2015, 03:49:00 AM »
Wow, kind of surprised they did not play a single new song on the 70000 tons of metal cruise.  They played two shows and really nothing besides their standard sets. Kind of odd since the album comes out this week.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #199 on: January 27, 2015, 09:35:55 AM »
Yeah, I think the second evening at least could have had Twilights of the Gods or Holy Grail or something like that. There are no video's online yet I think, but I am interested to see the performance.

Still, at this point (it was 5 years ago that they were here) I would be very happy to see their greatest hits live. I hope they play Fly, Ride Into Obsession, Tanelorn, And Then There Was Silence and Holy Grail from their post-Nightfall albums (and I think Twilight of the Gods is a given).. And some forgotten and old succesful live songs from the pre-Imaginations days would be welcome.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: January 27, 2015, 10:13:51 AM »
Ride Into Obsession would be really awesome, they didn't play in on ATEOT tour in my town (have they actually played it live anywhere?), so I would gladly take it.

However, I can do without Fly (and without any ATITM track live actually), and I've already heard ATTWS at the said tour, so I hope they'll change it for something, maybe even IFTOS back again. I think this song sounds live much better than ATTWS (where they have to cut the beautiful ending anyway).

Although I've heard Wheel of Time live already, I'm really hoping they will find a place for it in the setlist again. Singing it during the encore was a lot of fun.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: January 27, 2015, 10:31:45 AM »
I was them on the last tour of the USA, and I thought Fly was a solid song live.  I wish we got ATTWS.  That song is so epic. 

Im not sure if they have ever played Ride into Obsession though, I would like that too.

And Id like to see Mordred's Song.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: January 27, 2015, 10:34:08 AM »
I was them on the last tour of the USA, and I thought Fly was a solid song live.

And Id like to see Mordred's Song.

I agree about Fly being a solid song, I just don't want to hear it live two times in a row. They've got a hell of catalogue to choose from, and I don't regard ATITM highly (though Fly is probably my favourite from it), so I kind of wish they just forget about the album when composing the setlist.

And hell yeah for Mordred's Song, this one I really want to see too.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #203 on: January 27, 2015, 12:02:42 PM »
Yes, Mordreds Song! That is one I would really, really like to hear live (they played it in 2014 and on 70000 tons so here's hoping).

Also, yes they played Ride into Obsession: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgpsPhLf1-g But only a few times at the last leg of their touring I think.

I think they have mentioned in an interview they want to bring back some tracks (or even debut) that they rarely played live for a long time. But BG is not a band to completely give their setlist a overhaul I think. I'm expecting a few new tracks, a surprise and their usual best of (and they have plenty of material to choose from).

Edit:

This Hansi interview is pretty interesting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8ZWkw2o4x0&feature=youtu.be&t=12m53s

He mentions the following about the coming tour setlist rehearsals:
-Guardian of the Blind
-Miracle Machine (alternate version)
-Ninth Wave (maybe new opener for some nights)
-The new heavy songs (Probably Holy Grail, Sacred Mind and Ashes of Eternity)
-Hopes to play three new songs each evening (most definately Ninth Wave)
-He calls Nightfall and ANATO songs "a pain in the ass" (mentions Battlefield and Curse of Feanor specifically, they will probably not do those).
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 03:37:47 PM by ErHaO »

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #204 on: February 02, 2015, 08:08:20 AM »
On my second listen, it's all gelling much better. I'm loving the choruses, and some of the guitar passages are downright phenomenal (Ashes of Eternity especially). I don't think it's going to beat ATEOT but it's a fine addition to the catalog and a logical step forward.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Art

« Reply #205 on: February 02, 2015, 08:25:04 AM »
Yeah, i gave the new record a try, but... :\

i guess post Nightfall Blind Guardian really isnīt for me.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: February 02, 2015, 10:05:44 AM »
Yeah, i gave the new record a try, but... :\

i guess post Nightfall Blind Guardian really isnīt for me.

I'll say post A night at the opera Blind Guardian hasn't convinced me. I gave the new album a couple of listens and while it's not bad, it's not interesting enough for me.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: February 02, 2015, 01:28:13 PM »
Heard only clips of some of the songs so I cant form a real opinion, but I wasnt crazy about what I heard including the single (which I have fully heard).  Obviously I need to get the album and give it a full real listen before I say I don't like it, but Im not encouraged.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #208 on: February 02, 2015, 01:44:28 PM »
I think it is vastly superiour to the previous three albums (I loved ATEOT and liked ANATO and ATITM). Long term I don't know, obviously. The songs are really dense (much more than the previous two) and the mix is a bit odd (also "dense"), but I think the investment is totally worth it (I am a BG fan, offcourse). A lot of people seem to dislike it initially (see BG forums, for example). Andre throws awesome melodies everywere and Hansi has not sounded this good in more than a decade and even threads some new grounds.

I have no clue about the story though (only in the broad sense). This has almost always been Hansi's way of writing, but for a concept I would like some clarification here and there (usually they take a well known story as a subject, so you can link the lyrics to that).

I do hope they refrain from attempting stuff like Grand Parade and ATEOT live, because that will either be a playback show or just fall flat.

Online gazinwales

« Reply #209 on: February 06, 2015, 05:27:43 PM »
First run through, as my Japanese CD and 2LP pic disc arrived today, finally.
Pretty impressive, enough of a hit initially to give me that warm fuzzy feeling that it's a good album with plenty of layers to unpick.
But I reckon it will take a numerous plays to fully appreciate everything going on.

However the mix in places is a little muddy, just here and there, but overall, the sound, mix, production and mastering is a lot better than I had expected and what the single might have suggested.