Author Topic: Dave Matthews Band -  (Read 26279 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Dave Matthews Band -
« Reply #140 on: June 08, 2021, 05:52:49 PM »
I'm about due for a DMB binge given that it is almost summer time and they are very much a summer band for me.  I don't listen to them like I used to, and it's a bummer to see how far they have fallen, but those 90's albums are still money, and Before These Crowded Streets remains a top 25 all-time record for me.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #141 on: June 08, 2021, 06:16:22 PM »
Before these Crowded streets is still in my top 5 favorite albums. Dark in places, yet hauntingly beautiful and powerful. I love it

Offline HOF

« Reply #142 on: June 08, 2021, 06:56:40 PM »
Under the Table and Dreaming is probably still my favorite from DMB, but Before These Crowded Streets is also excellent. DMB is a band that I loved up through Busted Stuff but never cared for beyond that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #143 on: June 08, 2021, 07:58:37 PM »
Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King was really good, but the albums since have been largely forgettable. 

Offline DTA

« Reply #144 on: June 09, 2021, 03:51:49 AM »
I'm working my way through their catalog and am currently on Big Whiskey. There is nothing they can do that will top the greatness of the first 3 albums (BTCS especially is a desert island album for me) but I've found everything I've heard so far to be high quality stuff. Stand Up and Everyday are cited as being inferior but I think they just highlight a different, more accessible aspect of the band.

What's everyone's favorite songs? Lie In Our Graves and The Stone are probably tied at my number 1 spot.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #145 on: June 09, 2021, 04:16:11 AM »
My favorites are:

Satellite
Lover Lay down
Warehouse
Pay for what you get

Crash into me

The stone
Crush
The dreaming tree

There's other songs I like a lot as well, but those are the ones I truly love

Offline HOF

« Reply #146 on: June 09, 2021, 07:08:11 AM »
Ants Marching is probably my favorite overall. Others would include (by album):

Satellite
Typical Situation
Warehouse
Lie In Our Graves
The Stone
The Dreaming Tree
Spoon
The Space Between
So Right
Fool to Think
Grey Street
You Never Know
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 08:02:29 AM by HOF »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #147 on: June 09, 2021, 08:00:29 AM »
Top tier DMB tunes for me would be:

The Stone
Crush
The Dreaming Tree
Dancing Nancies
Two Step
Don't Drink the Water
Warehouse
Typical Situation
Lie in Our Graves

And then the next tier would have everything else from Halloween, Pig, Spoon, Ants Marching, Bartender, Spaceman, 41, Lying in the Hands of God, Proudest Monkey, etc.

Offline HOF

« Reply #148 on: June 09, 2021, 08:02:09 AM »
I'm working my way through their catalog and am currently on Big Whiskey. There is nothing they can do that will top the greatness of the first 3 albums (BTCS especially is a desert island album for me) but I've found everything I've heard so far to be high quality stuff. Stand Up and Everyday are cited as being inferior but I think they just highlight a different, more accessible aspect of the band.

What's everyone's favorite songs? Lie In Our Graves and The Stone are probably tied at my number 1 spot.

I like most of Everyday and thought it was a well-done pop album. Stand Up just didn’t seem to have anything to latch on to, but I haven’t heard it in many years.

Listening to Crash right now for the first time in a while. It’s probably the one I listened to the most back in the day (or at least heard the hits the most on the radio), and I think I probably wore it out a bit. But every song on there is great too. In fact, #41 might be my second favorite DMB song behind Ants Marching.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #149 on: June 09, 2021, 08:06:21 AM »
Stand Up has a couple of decent songs, but most of the album was a major miss for me.

Everyday has a lot of good songs, but I can't say anything on there is awesome or an upper tier DMB tune for me.

Busted Stuff is a tough one for me, as most of the versions that originated on the Lillywhite Sessions were better on the original demo, so the Busted Stuff versions came off to me as slight letdowns.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #150 on: June 09, 2021, 08:10:14 AM »
I haven't listened to DMB in ages.

I must remedy that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #151 on: June 09, 2021, 08:42:41 AM »
I haven't listened to DMB in ages.

I must remedy that.

This.

Thanks to this thread, I was totally reminded of 2018's 'Come Tomorrow,' which I barely listened to but remember enjoying. I need to do another deep-dive.

Around the time of 'Big Whisky' I got really into DMB—listened intently for months. I loved that album, and consider it top-tier. Before that point, I was only familiar with the 'hits,' but I quickly discovered that trio of gems from '90s and, well, I was pretty much hooked.

'Away From the World' didn't grab me as much, but upon revisiting, I am finding a whole lot more to enjoy.

I might need to a do a personal ranking in a couple of weeks when all is said and done.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #152 on: June 09, 2021, 08:46:54 AM »
Around the time of 'Big Whisky' I got really into DMB—listened intently for months. I loved that album, and consider it top-tier. Before that point, I was only familiar with the 'hits,' but I quickly discovered that trio of gems from '90s and, well, I was pretty much hooked.
Same
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #153 on: June 09, 2021, 08:50:02 AM »

Busted Stuff is a tough one for me, as most of the versions that originated on the Lillywhite Sessions were better on the original demo, so the Busted Stuff versions came off to me as slight letdowns.

I feel you on that one.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #154 on: June 09, 2021, 10:12:51 AM »

I feel you on that one.

I've always described the difference between the Lilywhite Sessions and Busted Stuff as the difference between sitting at the bar with Dave at 2 am while he tells you his current state (Lilywhite Sessions) v. talking to him about it 6-12 months later at brunch (Busted Stuff).
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline HOF

« Reply #155 on: June 09, 2021, 10:28:10 AM »

I feel you on that one.

I've always described the difference between the Lilywhite Sessions and Busted Stuff as the difference between sitting at the bar with Dave at 2 am while he tells you his current state (Lilywhite Sessions) v. talking to him about it 6-12 months later at brunch (Busted Stuff).

My memory of the Lillywhite Sessions was that those recordings were pretty rough, but that may have been an issue of low quality MP3s my college buddy downloaded from who knows where. I like the overall production of Busted Stuff and never had an issue with it compared to the demos, but I have heard that complaint before.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #156 on: June 09, 2021, 10:32:05 AM »
I usually go to Busted Stuff when I wear out the first 3 albums, but its got some decent stuff. Always loved Grey street.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #157 on: June 09, 2021, 10:35:19 AM »

I feel you on that one.

My memory of the Lillywhite Sessions was that those recordings were pretty rough, but that may have been an issue of low quality MP3s my college buddy downloaded from who knows where. I like the overall production of Busted Stuff and never had an issue with it compared to the demos, but I have heard that complaint before.

I think it's more about the performances than the mix.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #158 on: June 09, 2021, 11:53:51 AM »

I feel you on that one.

HAHA, I love that.  I think that's spot on.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #159 on: June 09, 2021, 03:33:39 PM »

I feel you on that one.

Agreed.  The songs were just better in their earlier form.  I still like Grey Street, but the original chorus had different lyrics and flowed better, IMO.  Big Eyed Fish slayed on the demo, but was kind of flat on Busted Stuff.  Never recording JTR for a studio album is kind of a thumb in the eye, but they released a great live version of it on one of those warehouse CD's years ago when I was still a member, so I am good there.

Offline HOF

« Reply #160 on: June 09, 2021, 03:44:08 PM »

I feel you on that one.

Agreed.  The songs were just better in their earlier form.  I still like Grey Street, but the original chorus had different lyrics and flowed better, IMO.  Big Eyed Fish slayed on the demo, but was kind of flat on Busted Stuff.  Never recording JTR for a studio album is kind of a thumb in the eye, but they released a great live version of it on one of those warehouse CD's years ago when I was still a member, so I am good there.

Big Eyed Fish has never been a favorite (either version). I’ll have to see check those sessions out again sometime though.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #161 on: June 09, 2021, 03:45:28 PM »
Quick (probably dumb) Question for those in the know:

I haven't heard the 'Lillywhite' Sessions...where can I (other than youtube?) Was there ever a semi-official release? Or is this one of those 'if you didn't get it off of Napster, then you can't get it' things?

It's not on Apple Music.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #162 on: June 09, 2021, 03:47:32 PM »

Big Eyed Fish has never been a favorite (either version). I’ll have to see check those sessions out again sometime though.

Monkey Man is a great one, too, and I think that is the one from it that they have never recorded or played live. A travesty!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #163 on: June 09, 2021, 03:48:55 PM »
Quick (probably dumb) Question for those in the know:

I haven't heard the 'Lillywhite' Sessions...where can I (other than youtube?) Was there ever a semi-official release? Or is this one of those 'if you didn't get it off of Napster, then you can't get it' things?

It's not on Apple Music.

I think it is easy to get from the DMB online community, but I am so far removed from that now that I wouldn't have a clue where to look.

Offline DTA

« Reply #164 on: June 10, 2021, 03:59:50 PM »

I like most of Everyday and thought it was a well-done pop album. Stand Up just didn’t seem to have anything to latch on to, but I haven’t heard it in many years.

Listening to Crash right now for the first time in a while. It’s probably the one I listened to the most back in the day (or at least heard the hits the most on the radio), and I think I probably wore it out a bit. But every song on there is great too. In fact, #41 might be my second favorite DMB song behind Ants Marching.

Stand Up feels like a bizarre mixture of a lot of different styles. Doesn't always produce great results, but I think it's definitely one worth revisiting.

Crash is so amazingly good there's literally nothing they could do to improve it. Really, those first 3 albums are as close to perfect as music can get. #41 is very good, and I'm also partial to Too Much and Drive In Drive Out but the whole thing blows me away.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #165 on: June 10, 2021, 04:01:10 PM »

Crash is so amazingly good there's literally nothing they could do to improve it. Really, those first 3 albums are as close to perfect as music can get. #41 is very good, and I'm also partial to Too Much and Drive In Drive Out but the whole thing blows me away.

Agreed.  Those three albums (Under the Table..., Crash, Before...) are all perfect.  Not many bands can say their first three albums were collectively as great as those three.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #166 on: June 10, 2021, 04:28:04 PM »
Yeah, they really hit it out of the park with those first 3 albums

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #167 on: June 10, 2021, 06:23:06 PM »
I am sure I already said this years ago in this thread :lol, but their Central Park performance is one of the best concert live DVD's by any band out there.  Just an amazing performance, featuring a killer set list.

Offline DTA

« Reply #168 on: June 11, 2021, 08:24:25 AM »
I am sure I already said this years ago in this thread :lol, but their Central Park performance is one of the best concert live DVD's by any band out there.  Just an amazing performance, featuring a killer set list.

One of the most exciting things about getting into this band is all the live releases. I only have Red Rocks 95 but I'm going to start gathering up some of the more unique Live Trax they have once I listen through all the studio albums.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #169 on: June 11, 2021, 08:51:45 AM »

One of the most exciting things about getting into this band is all the live releases. I only have Red Rocks 95 but I'm going to start gathering up some of the more unique Live Trax they have once I listen through all the studio albums.

I can't keep up with all of their live releases, since they have like 1,499 of them. :lol

A few of their songs, though, are ones where my go-to version is a live one.  It's just a lot to get through.  A lot of good stuff.  I don't always dig those long jams (cool once in a while or to see live), but I don't want my go-to version of Two Step to be the 20-minute version, ya know?

Offline billboy73

« Reply #170 on: June 11, 2021, 10:14:34 AM »

I feel you on that one.

JTR is such a great song!  Agreed, on a studio version.  It should have been on Busted Stuff.  There is a great version of it on Live at Folsom Field.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #171 on: June 11, 2021, 12:44:23 PM »

JTR is such a great song!  Agreed, on a studio version.  It should have been on Busted Stuff.  There is a great version of it on Live at Folsom Field.

I think I have that version; I'll have to look later at home.  :hat

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #172 on: June 12, 2021, 01:48:17 PM »

I think I have that version; I'll have to look later at home.  :hat

Unless it is the one on the Warehouse 5: Volume 4 CD that members got back in the day (which is the one I have), that is not the live version of JTR I have.  That same CD has a killer, and my go-to, version of One Sweet World.  :hat

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #173 on: June 15, 2021, 06:26:51 PM »
Anyone else interested in doing an album run-through with DMB?  We can chat about it in this thread.  A friend and I do them with bands for fun and to have some tunes to chat about daily during the work week (just finished up Ayreon), and we are doing DMB next. 

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #174 on: June 15, 2021, 06:34:55 PM »
I’m in!