Author Topic: The Answer Lies Within Appreciation/Discussion Thread  (Read 16363 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The Answer Lies Within Appreciation/Discussion Thread
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2010, 08:35:50 PM »
So I was listening to Forsaken and such, and I noticed a good amount of the time when DT try to restrain themselves, Petrucci and Ruddess remain somewhat tasteful, but Portnoy seems to go a bit overbored and become boring. Forsaken has to have the most boring drumming (and vocals) in any DT song. I think TALW suffers from this as well. Along with horrible lyrics.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2010, 08:38:58 PM »
One of the things that really pisses me off about Score was that a huge deal was made about the time limit at RCMH. Yet, with that in mind, they still decided to add in the 10 minute or whatever guitar/keyboard improv before TSCO and the 7 or so minute keyboard intro to Octavarium. Another song or two could have easily been thrown in to that time.

Of course they also could have not played 6DOIT. But that's just me.
Well, they did pay $30,000 in fines for going over the limit.  And I loved the improve before TSCO.  I will not debate the intro to 8VM.

They did really?

They could have pretty easily made it a two night event and made everyone happy. And I doubt it would have been more expensive.

I'd imagine it's tough to book RCMH two nights in a row.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2010, 08:40:13 PM »
This would possibly be Top 20 for me. As an overall song, it's my favourite off of 8VM. TROAE, Sacrificed Sons and 8VM have better moments, but all have glaringly weaker moments too, IMO.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2010, 12:57:03 AM »
I love it.  James sounds great and I actually really like the lyrics.  It's nice to see DT writing something that's not dark and depressing.  Their songs are usually so.... sad.  LOL
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2010, 02:50:23 AM »
Nice for them to have one not-so-heavy track on the album as well. But after it, you've still got 60 minutes of DT heaviness!  :metal

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2010, 06:47:24 AM »
I Walk Beside You =/= Heavy.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2010, 07:52:30 PM »
I Walk Beside You =/= Heavy.

I was thinking the same thing. :lol
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2013, 01:45:25 PM »
Listening to Octavarium right now, and I'm up to this song. I've always liked The Answer Lies Within since 8vm came out. Today, it sounds even better for some reason. APPRECIATES!

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2013, 01:55:13 PM »
Yeah, it's good. Nice and simple.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2013, 04:17:42 PM »
The amount of pure hatered towards TALW in this thread makes me sad it's far from being my favorite song overall or on Octavarium but it's a very good song and I'm glad it's on Score because it fits there perfectly with the orchestra and it's a very nice version of the song.

And yes I know there are also lots of positive opinions in the thread as well but the negative ones are really merciless this song doesn't deserve this treatment.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2013, 04:37:22 PM »
I don't have issues with TALW, I in fact think it's a gorgeous little song. However, I concur with what was said eariler, that Portnoy's drumming on slow pieces became somewhat stale in his last DT records (as did his drumming in all the songs, where his fills and rhythmic figures became very predictable and cyclic). Good drumming can take a ballad (or slower pieces, if you may) to the next level, just ask Gavin Harrison.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline perfey

• Stiletto in the sand
« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2013, 02:15:42 PM »
Its a nice, little relaxing song that I play now and then. But on tour I would rather have them play any of their other ballads, like Hollow Years, Wait for Sleep, Another Day, Surrounded, Innocence Faded, The Silent Man etc.

I would have put Take Away My Pain there instead, if that would have worked with the orchestra.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2013, 03:26:32 AM »
I just love the main piano melody in this song. I wish they elaborated more on it as the song progressed.

Also, I love the little Octavarium nugget in it.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #83 on: March 14, 2013, 03:33:00 AM »
I saw this thread and resolved to *try* to go through Octavarium  :biggrin:
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: March 14, 2013, 09:40:45 AM »
When Octavarium first came out I thought it was fun to sing along with James (as long as you don't pay too much attention to the preachy lyrics) but honestly it's always been very difficult to detect the DT in this song. The instrumentation could easily be attributed to a lounge band from Vegas.

What really confuses me is having a lyric writer from Italian decent spraying out such racist epithets like, "Don't let, a Dago by in debt." Very disappointing JP.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #85 on: March 14, 2013, 08:30:05 PM »
There's nothing wrong with this song. I only listen to it when listening to the album in full, but it's not bad by any means.

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #86 on: March 14, 2013, 08:37:41 PM »
When listening to Octavarium, I always find myself skipping TALW but then coming back to it after listening to the rest of the album.  It's a nice, clam, breather piece I think.
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline TL

« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2013, 08:43:49 PM »
I first heard Dream Theater when a friend of mine showed me (and several other friends of ours) the live SFAM DVD. The first studio album I heard of DT's was SFAM. However, this happened in late 2004, and by the time I came around to buying a DT album (I was going through a sort of grunge/90s 'punk' rock phase before this), Octavarium had just come out, so I bought it. It went on to become my album of the summer for 2005 (I have one every year, never by design). My friends and I played it all the time.

I didn't originally like The Answer Lies Within all that much. At the time, I preferred songs that were technical, heavy, or both. I also felt it cost the album some momentum.
However, as time went on, I began to appreciate it more and more. I began to like it. At one point, a girl I was dating at the time put it on when she wanted to create a certain slow-dance type mood.

Also, my brother once entered a province-wide singing competition (he should have won (I'm certainly not biased) but didn't), and one of the other contestants who I don't know at all chose The Answer Lies Within as his song to perform. The crowd loved it.

So at this point, I definitely like it.

Edit: Heh, didn't realize how old this thread was, though it doesn't change the above.

« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2013, 08:50:01 PM »
I think it's one of their best songs when you're in a mellow mood. Most of their other songs, even songs like Take Away My Pain and To Live Forever, go into really epic guitar solos.

The interesting thing about DT's ballads is that their pacing wouldn't allow for slow dancing at all. Not even songs like Though Her Eyes. At full beat it's too fast, but at half-beat it's too slow.

Offline Ice9ine

« Reply #89 on: March 15, 2013, 01:11:55 AM »
Easily one of if not the best DT 'ballad' they have ever recorded imo.

Always loved it, always will.
I crossed the crooked step.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2013, 07:51:07 AM »
What really confuses me is having a lyric writer from Italian decent spraying out such racist epithets like, "Don't let, a Dago by in debt." Very disappointing JP.

That's silly.  It's a song about The Empire Strikes Back:   "Don't let, uh, Dagobah"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #91 on: March 15, 2013, 08:42:32 AM »
There's nothing wrong with this song.
Nothing right with it, either.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #92 on: March 15, 2013, 12:02:13 PM »

You have a strange, unnecessary hatred for this song.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2013, 12:59:56 PM »
You're gonna SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNEEEEEEEE
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Ħ

« Reply #94 on: March 15, 2013, 01:11:57 PM »
TALW is horrid.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2013, 02:06:10 PM »
You're gonna SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNEEEEEEEE

Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2013, 02:16:53 PM »
My opinion on this song still hasn't changed - it's not a bad song, but fails to evoke any emotions in me and is just meh overall. It's also a very anticlimactic follow-up to TROAE in the album tracklisting.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2013, 02:55:38 PM »

I don't hate it.  It's not worthy of hate. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #98 on: March 15, 2013, 03:33:33 PM »

I don't hate it.  It's not worthy of hate.

Oh ok, then the song isn't nearly as bad as you led us to believe.  Thanks for clearing that up.   :hefdaddy  :biggrin:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #99 on: March 15, 2013, 04:38:43 PM »
Well, it's not bad.  It's, like, irrelevant.

Raw Dog is bad, but at least it's on my radar as something that is noticeably awful.  TALW is just, kind of, there.  It's not awful, but there is certainly nothing good about it, either.  It's the only DT song like that I can think of.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #100 on: March 17, 2013, 07:40:17 PM »
I can always find at least one good thing about every DT song.  No matter how small or how much I dislike the song as a whole.  I've heard worse DT songs than TALW and still found something good.  But hey, to each his own.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Glass Moonlight

• You can ride the red until everybody smiles
« Reply #101 on: March 17, 2013, 08:53:50 PM »
Meh, it's ok.
When someone says my heart needs lifting
Don't ask how come, ask how high!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2013, 12:00:42 AM »
   TALW is just, kind of, there.  It's not awful, but there is certainly nothing good about it, either.  It's the only DT song like that I can think of.

For me, that kind of describes These Walls and Sacrificed Sons, as well.  When I listen to any of those, they sound nice enough, and there is nothing in any of them that repulses me, but they are all just kind of there.

« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2013, 12:21:30 AM »
I think These Walls is awesome, but had a few bits that made me go, "What? That's it? I wanna hear more of that!" Basically, it had more potential than it achieved.

Sacrificed Sons is musically amazing. I just wish it wasn't about 9/11.

The Answer Lies Within is just uplifting. It's a great, relaxing little ballad, but unlike Take Away My Pain or Disappear, it's not depressing. Yeah, I guess Hollow Years is better, but basically, I'd say Hollow Years is to guitar what The Answer Lies Within is to piano.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2013, 12:26:56 AM »

Sacrificed Sons is musically amazing. I just wish it wasn't about 9/11.