Author Topic: The Answer Lies Within Appreciation/Discussion Thread  (Read 16395 times)

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
Re: The Answer Lies Within Appreciation/Discussion Thread
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2010, 06:03:26 PM »
I've always considered it the weakest on the album together with I Walk Beside You, but I could never say it's a bad song in any way, and I find it necessary for the flow of the album.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2010, 06:07:17 PM »
I've always considered it the weakest on the album together with I Walk Beside You, but I could never say it's a bad song in any way, and I find it necessary for the flow of the album.

Agree 100% or no...for me it kinda brings the album down a little along with I walk beside you

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2010, 06:09:32 PM »

Agree 100% or no...for me it kinda brings the album down a little along with I walk beside you

What the hell did you just say?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2010, 06:18:29 PM »
 :rollin
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2010, 07:35:16 PM »
I really like it. Then again, I've never really been a metalhead, so I may have a different view from a lot of you guys.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2010, 08:49:32 PM »
I didn't like TALW at all untill I heard the Score version, now it's okay and soothing and kinda beautifull
It's funny, I was at RCMH that night, and TALW was pretty much the only song that made everyone sit down. 

Was it nice to see the entire concert live for real! ike, being there!!! :D
Nah, it was awful.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2010, 08:54:29 PM »
And just think, the man many think is such a wizard at constructing set lists somehow came to the determination that "The Answer Lies Within" was worthy of being on the band's 20th anniversary set list, but songs like "Take the Time," "Learning to Live," "Voices," "Lines in the Sand," "Trial of Tears," "Home," "The Glass Prison," "Blind Faith" and "In the Name of God" weren't. It boggles the mind. :biggrin: :lol

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2010, 08:54:51 PM »
I didn't like TALW at all untill I heard the Score version, now it's okay and soothing and kinda beautifull
It's funny, I was at RCMH that night, and TALW was pretty much the only song that made everyone sit down. 

Nah, it was awful.
RCMH or the song?
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2010, 09:10:03 PM »
And just think, the man many think is such a wizard at constructing set lists somehow came to the determination that "The Answer Lies Within" was worthy of being on the band's 20th anniversary set list, but songs like "Take the Time," "Learning to Live," "Voices," "Lines in the Sand," "Trial of Tears," "Home," "The Glass Prison," "Blind Faith" and "In the Name of God" weren't. It boggles the mind. :biggrin: :lol
Personally, I feel that the inclusion of TALW was worse than the exclusion of those others.

But really, it wasn't a 20th anniversary set list per se, at least not how you seem to be implying - where they would play "the greatest songs of their 20 year career."  It was never promoted that way, and never intended to be that way. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2010, 09:19:08 PM »
But really, it wasn't a 20th anniversary set list per se, at least not how you seem to be implying - where they would play "the greatest songs of their 20 year career."  It was never promoted that way, and never intended to be that way.  

I know, but either way, for a show being promoted as their 20th anniversary show, it was a pretty weak set list.  Too many top notch and very popular DT songs were not played, and too many run of the mill songs were played.  I know it wasn't a "play the greatest songs of their career" type thing, but considering it WAS an anniversary show, I think the set list was lacking.  I remember getting home that night and checking the 'net to see what they played, seeing the set list, and actually saying out loud, "That is the set list they played?"  I wouldn't call it bad so much as I would call it underwhelming.  

Contrast that to Rush, who did their 30th anniversary tour the year before and busted out most of their most popular songs (that actually get played live, meaning not songs they simply do not play anymore).  Imagine Rush doing that tour and playing "Face Up," but not playing "2112," "Xanadu" or "La Villa Strangiato."  That is basically what DT did by playing "The Answer Lies Within" and not playing "Take the Time," "Learning to Live" and "The Glass Prison."  And Rush ain't exactly perfect when it comes to constructing set lists, but at least they got that one mostly right.  

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2010, 09:36:51 PM »

Nah, it was awful.
RCMH or the song?

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sarcasm
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2010, 12:52:11 AM »
But really, it wasn't a 20th anniversary set list per se, at least not how you seem to be implying - where they would play "the greatest songs of their 20 year career."  It was never promoted that way, and never intended to be that way.  

I know, but either way, for a show being promoted as their 20th anniversary show, it was a pretty weak set list.  Too many top notch and very popular DT songs were not played, and too many run of the mill songs were played.  I know it wasn't a "play the greatest songs of their career" type thing, but considering it WAS an anniversary show, I think the set list was lacking.  I remember getting home that night and checking the 'net to see what they played, seeing the set list, and actually saying out loud, "That is the set list they played?"  I wouldn't call it bad so much as I would call it underwhelming.  

Being at RCMH I must say that the worst part of the night was getting pumped up after TROAE and then immediately receiving I Walk Beside You. I've never seen a crowd go from  :metal to  :| so fast in my life. I dunno if the DVD shows it but the energy died immediately.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2010, 04:57:03 AM »

Contrast that to Rush, who did their 30th anniversary tour the year before and busted out most of their most popular songs (that actually get played live, meaning not songs they simply do not play anymore).  Imagine Rush doing that tour and playing "Face Up," but not playing "2112," "Xanadu" or "La Villa Strangiato."  That is basically what DT did by playing "The Answer Lies Within" and not playing "Take the Time," "Learning to Live" and "The Glass Prison."  And Rush ain't exactly perfect when it comes to constructing set lists, but at least they got that one mostly right.  
It wasn't promoted as a 20th anniversary show, Kev.  That's what I'm saying.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2010, 05:21:24 AM »

First, The Answer Lies Within was in the orchestral part, which changes a lot. There are few DT songs that can be arranged with an orchestra and actually work without complete re-writing of the song, and it is one of them. I can definitely see why they played it.

And the Score setlist is interesting in a way that it actually includes songs they don't play often but still shows their entire history. I would have probably never found out about such a great song as Raise The Knife otherwise, or we would not get the incredible orchestrated version of Six Degrees if they decided to pick, say, Peruvian Skies and The Glass Prison instead. You have the popular tracks on several other DVDs. Here, they did something unusual and it's a very good idea for me.

(And they've been playing Take The Time and Learning to Live lots of times on the recent tours.)

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2010, 01:10:33 PM »
It may not have been promoted as that, but they did still take pains to play a song (some of them rarities) from every album/era, so, in that sense, it feels like a celebration of the history of the band, especially on the DVD because of the corresponding The Score So Far documentary.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2010, 07:26:23 PM »
It may not have been promoted as that, but they did still take pains to play a song (some of them rarities) from every album/era, so, in that sense, it feels like a celebration of the history of the band, especially on the DVD because of the corresponding The Score So Far documentary.
They did that at every stop on that tour.  The only thing special about the RCMH show was the location, and the orchestra, and the fact that they worked up a complete performance of 6DOIT incorporating the orchestra.  Otherwise, they kept to the exact format of the rest of the tour.

Offline Adami

« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2010, 07:34:21 PM »
It was pretty much a 20th anniversary tour though hef. That doesn't exclude the lame setlist.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2010, 07:35:14 PM »
They did that at every stop on that tour.  The only thing special about the RCMH show was the location, and the orchestra, and the fact that they worked up a complete performance of 6DOIT incorporating the orchestra.  Otherwise, they kept to the exact format of the rest of the tour.
Ah - ok.  I wasn't really familiar with what was happening on the rest of the tour.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2010, 07:45:00 PM »
It was pretty much a 20th anniversary tour though hef. That doesn't exclude the lame setlist.
I know it was a 20th anniversary tour.  And their celebration of their 20th anniversary was never to play everybody's favorite songs, but rather to play one song from each album, except for 5 songs from the current album (Octavarium) and then an encore.  That was the format.  For the whole tour.  Every night.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2010, 07:47:45 PM »
You're all forgetting that many of the songs on Score weren't on many of their previous live releases.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2010, 07:52:45 PM »
You're all forgetting that many of the songs on Score weren't on many of their previous live releases.

I am not forgetting that.  I just think Portnoy gets too hung up on that, and at the expense of the current set list.  So what if some of those classics had been on previous DVDs?  I mean, we needed half of "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" on consecutive live DVDs, but playing "Take the Time" and "Learning to Live" at your 20th anniversary show would have been the end of the world?  Really?

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2010, 07:54:39 PM »

I am not forgetting that.  I just think Portnoy gets too hung up on that, and at the expense of the current set list.  So what if some of those classics had been on previous DVDs?  I mean, we needed half of "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" on consecutive live DVDs, but playing "Take the Time" and "Learning to Live" at your 20th anniversary show would have been the end of the world?  Really?

Watch Chaos In Motion or Live Scenes.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2010, 07:58:03 PM »
That would be a valid comeback if either of those shows had been anniversary shows. ;)

Besides, "Take the Time" is dreadful on CIM.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2010, 08:00:55 PM »
Besides, "Take the Time" is dreadful on CIM.

Not arguing there. But the performance of Under A Glass Moon was awesome on Score. And with the one song per album deal we wouldn't have gotten that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2010, 08:02:57 PM »
Except that they played two songs from I&W that night. :p

Offline Adami

« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2010, 08:03:40 PM »
One of the things that really pisses me off about Score was that a huge deal was made about the time limit at RCMH. Yet, with that in mind, they still decided to add in the 10 minute or whatever guitar/keyboard improv before TSCO and the 7 or so minute keyboard intro to Octavarium. Another song or two could have easily been thrown in to that time.

Of course they also could have not played 6DOIT. But that's just me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2010, 08:05:17 PM »
One of the things that really pisses me off about Score was that a huge deal was made about the time limit at RCMH. Yet, with that in mind, they still decided to add in the 10 minute or whatever guitar/keyboard improv before TSCO and the 7 or so minute keyboard intro to Octavarium. Another song or two could have easily been thrown in to that time.

Well, they did pay $30,000 in fines for going over the limit.  And I loved the improve before TSCO.  I will not debate the intro to 8VM.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2010, 08:06:11 PM »

You know damn well Metropolis had to be the encore.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2010, 08:07:46 PM »
In retrospect, using the orchestra for just half the show was probably a mistake, especially given how off they reportedly were on a number of songs.  They should have just scrapped the type of running order they were using for most of that tour and done a really special set list for that night.  But what's done is done.

You know damn well Metropolis had to be the encore.

Why?  Because it was such a special show?  Oh, I agree.  And considering how special the show was, do my other points now make more sense to you? :biggrin:

Offline Adami

« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2010, 08:11:54 PM »

Well, they did pay $30,000 in fines for going over the limit.  And I loved the improve before TSCO.  I will not debate the intro to 8VM.

They did really?

They could have pretty easily made it a two night event and made everyone happy. And I doubt it would have been more expensive.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2010, 08:12:57 PM »
Why?  Because it was such a special show?  Oh, I agree.  And considering how special the show was, do my other points now make more sense to you?

Yeah it was a special show. Thats why they played songs they rarely play like Innocence Faded, all of Six Degrees, Raise The Knife and The Answer Lies Within...

Speaking of The Answer Lies Within isn't that what this thread is about?

Offline Adami

« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2010, 08:17:44 PM »
6DOIT? Rarely played? They played it for like an entire tour.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2010, 08:22:02 PM »
And considering how special the show was, do my other points now make more sense to you? :biggrin:

No.  The set was great for the show.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2010, 08:22:19 PM »
True. But with the orchestra. Even more special.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2010, 08:25:09 PM »
Especially special.