Author Topic: Train of Thought is my favorite DT album  (Read 5629 times)

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Re: Train of Thought is my favorite DT album
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2013, 06:42:37 PM »
The only reason I would ever want to wash any DT album out of my memories is so that I could hear them for the first time again.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2013, 09:00:49 PM »
Is anyone else kind of depressed by the idea that it's been 10 years already since this album came out?

No...

Offline dparrott

« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2013, 06:43:21 PM »
Well, Disappear is the first CD closer, so while it is not the album closer, it is the first disc closer, and I am sure that is looked at as important as well, but we'll leave that aside for a minute and just focus on Awake....

I totally disagree that Space Dye Vest feels tacked on.  It is like the coda after the climax of Scarred.  Plus, with the SDV melody being recurring, first heard in The Mirror, like I said before, it gives "Side 2" that cohesive feeling.  What do you think a better running order would have been for the final five songs, assuming they are the same five (and no being a wiseass and saying, "Get rid of Space Dye Vest," or anything like that :lol). Take those five songs and come up with a better running order.  Swapping Scarred and Space Dye Vest would not work, as you would then have Lifting Shadows... and SDV back-to-back, and I don't think two songs in a row like that would help the flow.  And kickoff off Side 2 with one of the mellow songs I don't think would work either, as it would immediately be following up the acoustic Silent Man (and going from the acoustic Silent Man straight into the metal of The Mirror is a great dynamic shift).

If I remember correctly, Innocence Faded was between LSOAD and SDV on the cassette.  It seems out of place to me being track 3 on the CD, esp because I'm not a big fan of the song.  CIAW -> Eroto is awesome. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline snowdog

« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2013, 10:08:15 AM »
Well, Disappear is the first CD closer, so while it is not the album closer, it is the first disc closer, and I am sure that is looked at as important as well, but we'll leave that aside for a minute and just focus on Awake....

I totally disagree that Space Dye Vest feels tacked on.  It is like the coda after the climax of Scarred.  Plus, with the SDV melody being recurring, first heard in The Mirror, like I said before, it gives "Side 2" that cohesive feeling.  What do you think a better running order would have been for the final five songs, assuming they are the same five (and no being a wiseass and saying, "Get rid of Space Dye Vest," or anything like that :lol). Take those five songs and come up with a better running order.  Swapping Scarred and Space Dye Vest would not work, as you would then have Lifting Shadows... and SDV back-to-back, and I don't think two songs in a row like that would help the flow.  And kickoff off Side 2 with one of the mellow songs I don't think would work either, as it would immediately be following up the acoustic Silent Man (and going from the acoustic Silent Man straight into the metal of The Mirror is a great dynamic shift).

If I remember correctly, Innocence Faded was between LSOAD and SDV on the cassette.  It seems out of place to me being track 3 on the CD, esp because I'm not a big fan of the song.  CIAW -> Eroto is awesome.
The cassette also didn't have Scarred.  Damn shame.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2013, 10:43:09 AM »
And I doubt the band had much say-so over the running order on the cassette, and either way, I doubt many people bought the cassette anyway (as it was nearly dead by that point).

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: June 12, 2013, 10:57:44 AM »
And I doubt the band had much say-so over the running order on the cassette, and either way, I doubt many people bought the cassette anyway (as it was nearly dead by that point).

I did :blush
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens