Author Topic: The Answer Lies Within Appreciation/Discussion Thread  (Read 16268 times)

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
The Answer Lies Within Appreciation/Discussion Thread
« on: June 29, 2010, 08:23:09 PM »
This song gets way too much hate in my opinion. I absolutely adore this song - if pressed, I might even say it would make my top 10. It connects with me on a personal level because I find the lyrics to be very encouraging, seeing as how I'll soon be moving out, beginning college, and starting a new chapter of my life. It's a song that, if I'm feeling particularly stressed about my future, I can listen to it and it calms me down a bit. It's a "everything will work out in the end" sort of song for me, and that makes it awesome.

Anyone else love it? Also, if you're one of the many who dislike it, please elaborate as to why. I'm curious and would like to see the song from some other perspectives.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Re: The Answer Lies Within Appreciation/Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 08:50:00 PM »
This song was definitely a grower for me. While I liked it to a certain extent, I found that the more I came to love Dream Theater, I cam to love all of the work that they do. This song is a great example of a short, light song that hits you on many emotional levels and can even bring a tear to your eye if in the right mood. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna throw on Octavarium :millahhhh

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 08:56:11 PM »
It's not bad. It's just not DT. It's DT trying to sound like something other than themselves. You'll notice the songs they do this on are usually not liked much.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline fsh3702

• 爱梦剧院、爱数理化、爱吉他、爱mount&blade
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 09:03:16 PM »
It's not bad. It's just not DT. It's DT trying to sound like something other than themselves. You'll notice the songs they do this on are usually not liked much.

not a typical DT song. i think it would be better if this song is arranged in the later part of the album.
F=ma
E=mc2=hν
▽E=-dB/dt
1h2/2m▽2ψ+Uψ=Eψ

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 09:22:46 PM »
It's just not DT. It's DT trying to sound like something other than themselves.

I don't know what you mean by this. It's just a simple, straightforward ballad. DT have been doing that since the beginning (Another Day).

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 09:24:53 PM »
It's not DT, you're right.  But it's also bad.  The lyrics are a cliche-ridden crappy attempt at New Age self-help.  And the music is bland to the point of not being interesting.  It's not sparse, stark, simple, or understated; it's just bland.

Bland music + awful lyrics = one of their worst songs.  Easily a bottom 5 for me.

But if you like it, then great.

But there is nothing simple or straightforward about Another Day.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 09:26:47 PM »
Well, it's shorter than most of the other songs on Images and Words and it's also softer, that's why I made the comparison.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 09:45:23 PM »
It's not DT, you're right.  But it's also bad.  The lyrics are a cliche-ridden crappy attempt at New Age self-help.  And the music is bland to the point of not being interesting.  It's not sparse, stark, simple, or understated; it's just bland.

Bland music + awful lyrics = one of their worst songs.  Easily a bottom 5 for me.

All of this. One of DT's worst songs.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 09:48:40 PM »
It's not DT, you're right.  But it's also bad.  The lyrics are a cliche-ridden crappy attempt at New Age self-help.  And the music is bland to the point of not being interesting.  It's not sparse, stark, simple, or understated; it's just bland.

Bland music + awful lyrics = one of their worst songs.  Easily a bottom 5 for me.

All of this. One of DT's worst songs.
THIS THIS THIS.

Besides it was a huge buzz killer, after TROAE
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 10:00:03 PM »
Really good song. The Score version is amazing, I always loved how MP sings ''You're gonna SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE'' in that version.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline TL

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 10:11:42 PM »
I like it. It would probably work better later in the album, but then the whole octave concept wouldn't work.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 11:29:34 PM »
Nothing really special about this song, but I wouldn't call it a bad song per se.  I can see why some think it is bland.  I don't go out of my way to listen to it, but if comes on, more often than not I will listen to it.  If nothing else, I will take it over "These Walls" (which is much more boring), "Never Enough" (bland, cliched lyrics are better than bitching about fans ones) and "Sacrificed Sons." 

Offline moffatt

• Lost fanboi
  • Head & Shoulders > L'oreal
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 12:35:53 AM »
I don't think its that bad, not the worst song on Octavarium for me.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 12:41:44 AM »
I don't think TALW is bad at all but it shouldn't have been after TROAE in the tracklist.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 01:51:38 AM »
its not a song i usually want to put on when i want Dream Theater but if i listen to the album known as Octavarium, i thoroughly enjoy it, one of their better ballads IMO :yarr

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2010, 02:20:01 AM »
It's gotta be one of the most cliche, sappiest wastes of music I've ever heard in any genre. There is really no point in this song even existing other than to fill some space on an album.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2010, 02:43:09 AM »
It's gotta be one of the most cliche, sappiest wastes of music I've ever heard in any genre. There is really no point in this song even existing other than to fill some space on an album.

:lol

I called it. When I made this thread I just knew you would post something like this.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2010, 03:32:31 AM »
its not a song i usually want to put on when i want Dream Theater but if i listen to the album known as Octavarium, i thoroughly enjoy it, one of their better ballads IMO :yarr

I agree. Especially with :yarr.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2010, 10:39:35 AM »

:lol

I called it. When I made this thread I just knew you would post something like this.

Hey I gots a job to do.  :millahhhh

But I was seriously so disappointed and my excitement from TROAE died so fast when this track came on the first time I heard it. I just don't understand why they thought it was a good idea.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2010, 10:44:53 AM »
I think the lyrics are cool, especially when you have kids.  It is the picture of a father passing on their wisdom to their child.  In that light, I can't see them encasing it in a TOT-style song.  Other than that, I will listen to it when it comes on, but that is about it.

Offline John94

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2010, 10:50:28 AM »
Not my favourite to be honest. I do however, liek the "you're gonna shiiine" part like most people.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2010, 11:19:00 AM »
I didn't like it much at first, but I eventually came to appreciate it.  It's got some cool stuff in it, but nothing incredibly spectacular.  Overall, the lyrics and music are uplifting and positive.  That has to count for something even if people still don't like it.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2010, 12:59:42 PM »
I think the lyrics are cool, especially when you have kids.  It is the picture of a father passing on their wisdom to their child.  In that light, I can't see them encasing it in a TOT-style song.  Other than that, I will listen to it when it comes on, but that is about it.

The thing is, most of us aren't Petruccis kids. He wrote the song and sold it to us, not his kids. See, if the song were about say....dragons and monsters, that would be better.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2010, 01:28:54 PM »
I thought his kids were dragons and monsters

Offline Hoppipolla

• Rise up, Be counted
  • Trapped inside this....
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2010, 03:33:25 PM »
 I honestly loved this song from the minute I heard it. It is completely different from everything they've done and I agree it's a little cliche' /new agey, but I have to admit, I love the lyrics. "You're gonna shiiiiiiiine" is my favorite part too!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2010, 03:43:29 PM »
I don't hate the song by any stretch, but I agree with hef that it is exceedingly bland and lacks any sort of emotional punch whatsoever.  This is one of the VERY few DT songs that just feels like filler to me, except that it's obviously not filler because the band were obviously trying to construct something they considered emotional.  But listening to this song would be like eating plain tofu.  There's nothing even remotely interesting enough to make me even consider coming back for a second bite.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2010, 03:55:34 PM »
I've never had tofu before, so I don't understand your analogy.

:neverusethis:

Offline TL

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2010, 03:58:21 PM »
While I already liked the song, I also associate it with a very personal, very positive memory, so that probably helps.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2010, 04:23:42 PM »
I've never had tofu before, so I don't understand your analogy.

:neverusethis:

Then try to imagine water-flavored gelatin and that's probably close enough.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2010, 04:41:25 PM »
isn't there some sort of rule about not discussing things as disgusting as tofu on the forum?

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2010, 04:48:11 PM »
I didn't like TALW at all untill I heard the Score version, now it's okay and soothing and kinda beautifull

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2010, 05:18:04 PM »
It's not a great song.  It's not a bad song.  But it's a good song.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2010, 05:22:43 PM »
I didn't like TALW at all untill I heard the Score version, now it's okay and soothing and kinda beautifull
It's funny, I was at RCMH that night, and TALW was pretty much the only song that made everyone sit down. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2010, 05:25:12 PM »
It's funny, I was at RCMH that night, and TALW was pretty much the only song that made everyone sit down. 

Was it nice to see the entire concert live for real! ike, being there!!! :D

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2010, 05:48:31 PM »

That doesn't necessarily make it a bad song by itself - it isn't really a song I'd expect a moshpit to form for.