Author Topic: The officially offical tattoo thread!  (Read 107387 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The officially offical tattoo thread!
« Reply #420 on: May 21, 2018, 01:48:40 PM »
For me, no one can take away Led Zeppelin, Rush or Dream Theater.   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #421 on: May 22, 2018, 04:48:43 AM »
That's a great tattoo gmiller, I love the detail work.

I'd love to get another tattoo but I don't know what or where.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #422 on: May 22, 2018, 10:51:57 PM »
I didn't even know there was a thread for tattoos. I really need to pay more attention.

I have a 3/4 sleeve on my right arm, half sleeve in progress on my left (should be finished Friday), and a large piece on my calf (which i might turn into a 1/2 leg sleeve.

If anyone can recommend a free photo site I'd gladly gladly upload some pics. I used to use photobucket before they shit the bed

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #423 on: May 23, 2018, 04:24:06 AM »
I didn't even know there was a thread for tattoos. I really need to pay more attention.

I have a 3/4 sleeve on my right arm, half sleeve in progress on my left (should be finished Friday), and a large piece on my calf (which i might turn into a 1/2 leg sleeve.

If anyone can recommend a free photo site I'd gladly gladly upload some pics. I used to use photobucket before they shit the bed

I use Imageshack.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #424 on: May 23, 2018, 06:39:51 AM »

I use Imgur

I use Imageshack.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #425 on: May 23, 2018, 07:42:02 AM »
I just message the pic to myself on FB and use that link.

On topic, geared up for ink #5, looking to get a stylized IQ logo from the Subterrenea album done on the inside of my forearm. Figure I'll get it done within a month...

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #426 on: May 23, 2018, 11:28:59 AM »

I used to do that, and it works fine short term.  The problem is that Facebook shuffles up the addresses once in a while (presumably to discourage people from doing that, using FB as an easy image-hosting site) so after a while all the links are broken.

I was revisiting some of my discographies a while back, and noticed that most of the links were broken.  They were all Facebook links.  That's when I went through and redid them all, uploading all the images to Imgur and linking them from there.

Just sharing knowledge.  Again, it works fine for something like posting in the picture thread, which presumably people aren't going to be digging through months from now.  But FB unfortunately won't work as a true image hosting site.

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #427 on: May 23, 2018, 01:39:23 PM »

omg this is genius and how have I never thought of it! I usually just post it and use that link, but messaging means it doesn't have to be out there. Doing this from now on if its something I don't want to actually post!

I'm also okay with it disappearing at some point. Not everything needs to last forever on the internet lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #428 on: May 23, 2018, 09:07:58 PM »
Seeing this thread has started the make me get the itch to get another tattoo. Still in the early stages but I'm starting to think of what I want and where.

Do any of you guys follow niki norberg on instagram? Probably one of my favorite tattoo artists, it seems eyes are his specialty but anything he does is amazing:

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #429 on: May 24, 2018, 06:10:52 AM »
Interesting style. I could see me going for something like that... or something by Kore Flatmo (as if I could afford that).
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #430 on: May 26, 2018, 02:12:55 PM »
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 02:19:57 PM by SchecterShredder »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #431 on: May 26, 2018, 02:58:32 PM »
That dude looks talented!!

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #432 on: July 20, 2018, 02:12:51 PM »
2/3rds done my Dark Tower piece as of yesterday....

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #433 on: July 20, 2018, 03:43:35 PM »
 :metal   Nice!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #434 on: July 20, 2018, 08:27:14 PM »
That's bitchin... but honestly, I NEVER pictured Blaine like that.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #435 on: July 20, 2018, 08:31:22 PM »
Not a tattoo guy, but that's good stuff!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #436 on: July 20, 2018, 08:43:45 PM »
That's bitchin... but honestly, I NEVER pictured Blaine like that.

I don't picture him like that at all in the books either, but i was going for the same theme from the cover art. This version is more badass than the one i picture when reading. In my mind  Blaine= a talking,  riddling version of the monorail from the Simpsons

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #437 on: July 20, 2018, 08:55:08 PM »
I wanna post a picture of my sleeve but I don’t know how 😆

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #438 on: July 20, 2018, 09:10:36 PM »
I wanna post a picture of my sleeve but I don’t know how 😆
Imgur

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #439 on: October 06, 2018, 04:37:12 PM »
A little touching up to do around the top of the shoulder in December, but otherwise done.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 04:51:15 PM by SchecterShredder »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #440 on: October 07, 2018, 06:34:24 AM »
Awesome tattoo.

I'm thinking it's time for another tattoo for me. I think my brother and I are going to get something together.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #441 on: October 08, 2018, 02:48:55 PM »
Dude. Awesome. Awesome to the max.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #442 on: April 15, 2019, 01:20:31 PM »
So, I've been wanting to cover up some old tat's for quite some time. Most of my tattoos I got when I was 18...I'm now 43 so they've aged quite a bit and just aren't "fresh" any longer.

My first tattoo was a tribal Grim Reaper on my upper left shoulder. I recall having a huge fascination with the Grim Reaper when I was 18....enough of one to where when I left to go get my first tattoo my Father said "Just don't get the Grim Reaper" So obviously I got the grim reaper. I've never 'regretted' any of the tattoos I got....only that I wish I had allowed the artists themselves to design them rather than them just using what I had drawn up. I thought it'd be neat to have my 'own' work on me....taking up some prime real estate. Shortly after the grim reaper I added a bible verse below it out of the Revelations. "I am he that liveth and was dead and behold I am alive forever more, and have the keys of hell and of death" Still like the verse but after 25 years the script I had drawn was near unreadable.

So...i consulted the same artist who gave me my '10 year sober' commemorative tattoo....and we came up with a cover up idea. Being that my left arm is the arm that was ravaged by a rattlesnake bite when I was 24....we decided that a skin rip that reveals rattlesnake scales under my skin would do the trick.

Here's the results.....keep in mind these pics are 'fresh' after the tat so there is some redness.

The 25 year old Tats that we covered:

After the first session:

After the second session last Friday:

Side by Side:

Already planning the other shoulder piece we've discussed. But it's gonna take some more disposable $$$ that I don't have right now so it'll be a bit before I get to it.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #443 on: April 15, 2019, 01:26:54 PM »
So, I've been wanting to cover up some old tat's for quite some time. Most of my tattoos I got when I was 18...I'm now 43 so they've aged quite a bit and just aren't "fresh" any longer.

My first tattoo was a tribal Grim Reaper on my upper left shoulder. I recall having a huge fascination with the Grim Reaper when I was 18....enough of one to where when I left to go get my first tattoo my Father said "Just don't get the Grim Reaper" So obviously I got the grim reaper. I've never 'regretted' any of the tattoos I got....only that I wish I had allowed the artists themselves to design them rather than them just using what I had drawn up. I thought it'd be neat to have my 'own' work on me....taking up some prime real estate. Shortly after the grim reaper I added a bible verse below it out of the Revelations. "I am he that liveth and was dead and behold I am alive forever more, and have the keys of hell and of death" Still like the verse but after 25 years the script I had drawn was near unreadable.

So...i consulted the same artist who gave me my '10 year sober' commemorative tattoo....and we came up with a cover up idea. Being that my left arm is the arm that was ravaged by a rattlesnake bite when I was 24....we decided that a skin rip that reveals rattlesnake scales under my skin would do the trick.

Here's the results.....keep in mind these pics are 'fresh' after the tat so there is some redness.

Not a real tat guy, and not that my opinion means anything in this context, but while the art is good (actually, VERY good), the real core of that is the story.  I mean, how many people can say they've survived a rattlesnake bite, and to have that tat, that's pretty flipping cool, if you ask me.   

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #444 on: April 15, 2019, 01:32:24 PM »
Amazing story, amazing concept and an amazing Tat. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #445 on: April 15, 2019, 02:13:21 PM »

Not a real tat guy, and not that my opinion means anything in this context, but while the art is good (actually, VERY good), the real core of that is the story.  I mean, how many people can say they've survived a rattlesnake bite, and to have that tat, that's pretty flipping cool, if you ask me.

yeah Bill....it's definitely a somewhat unique story to tell, that's for sure. Seems like a different lifetime ago that it happened....almost like it wasn't even my life. I was in SUCH a completely different 'place' in life in every aspect of it. So weird to look back on it now....

Amazing story, amazing concept and an amazing Tat. 

Thanks Joe :tup

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #446 on: April 15, 2019, 03:02:37 PM »
If you have the means to go to NY get a tattoo with my friend Yomico Moreno. A Venezuelan tattoo artist. The guy is a beast.

Here's part of his art:

More of his work:

https://www.instagram.com/yomicoart/?hl=es-la
https://www.facebook.com/Yomicoart/

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #447 on: April 15, 2019, 03:42:18 PM »
Incredible work!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #448 on: April 15, 2019, 05:36:15 PM »

yeah Bill....it's definitely a somewhat unique story to tell, that's for sure. Seems like a different lifetime ago that it happened....almost like it wasn't even my life. I was in SUCH a completely different 'place' in life in every aspect of it. So weird to look back on it now....
[/quote]

I was talking with a friend of mine not too long ago, and she's going through a divorce, and perhaps not navigating as well as she could (by her own admission), and we agreed that our best decisions rarely make for the best stories.  :).

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #449 on: June 20, 2019, 02:17:56 PM »
met with my 'go to' tattooist and we worked out a concept for my St. Louis Blues commemorative Stanley Cup Championship tat!!  :metal   I've seen quite a few of these on social media the last week so we tried to come up with something a bit more unique....i like what he was going for as it will incorporate all the important aspects but should stand out as it's 'own' tattoo and not part of the pack. Bummer is he's booked solid so I have to wait until July 23rd   :'( 

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #450 on: June 20, 2019, 02:30:30 PM »
Oh that's right I didn't share my in progress photos in here. I kinda want to share it in here, kinda want to wait til the final session is over next month. Decisions, decisions....
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #451 on: June 20, 2019, 02:36:03 PM »
Oh that's right I didn't share my in progress photos in here. I kinda want to share it in here, kinda want to wait til the final session is over next month. Decisions, decisions....

That's a tough call. On one hand you want to show us all because you're jazzed about it but on the other hand you want us to see it in all it's glory after it's done. Either way it's good

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #452 on: June 20, 2019, 02:40:59 PM »
Ah what the hell. This is 7 hours in; two sessions so far, 5 1/2 hours and 1 1/2 hours. Last session is July 14th, probably for another 3 or 4 hours. He's going to darken in some shading, build out the lower mouth and interior, add some intense detail to the gems up top, touch up the bottom near my wrist, and add some atmospheric blending around the outside.

He's so amped about it that he told me he wants to submit it to the best medium color judging at next year's tattoo convention.

"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #453 on: June 20, 2019, 03:00:14 PM »
Some nice work! I'm a big fan of purple tones. My 3/4 sleeve has quite a bit. One of these days I'll take some photos of it.

In the meantime, here's the latest work I had done to pay homage to my kids.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #454 on: June 20, 2019, 03:11:05 PM »
Both look awesome! Real quality work going on.