Author Topic: The officially offical tattoo thread!  (Read 107400 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: The officially offical tattoo thread!
« Reply #245 on: April 20, 2013, 01:37:30 PM »
Oh god why am I only 20, I just want my concepts done on me so bad LIKE RIGHT NOW :(

Different age restrictions there?
Nyeh, should have said "why don't I live independently already and have enough money to put like 4 tattoos on my body right now" :D

:lol what do you plan to get?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #246 on: April 20, 2013, 03:39:33 PM »
...But when I do a DT tat, it probably won't be the Majesty logo, but pieces of album art (IAW and Awake) and quotes underneath, like I said in the previous thread. Though, maybe I get a Majesty logo afterwards, who knows :D

But before that, there are little tattoos for each of my shoulders to be done: the words "Navigating by the stars" will be the first one, and this will be the other one:

I can't wait to actually do them in a couple of years.

So that is four... for now :lol I have no idea where would I get my DT ones; somewhere where I could show them off, but also hide them when necessary? Maybe somewhere above the knee so if I am gonna wear shorter stuff when I go to work (assuming people don't become accepting of tattoos in a few years), I can cover them up with thick stockings or something.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #247 on: June 02, 2013, 12:02:35 AM »
^I like how simple that is.

Been a long time coming, but here's my first:

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #248 on: June 02, 2013, 12:04:38 AM »
what is it?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #249 on: June 02, 2013, 12:08:46 AM »
It's the signature I use on all of my artwork. It has a long and arduous meaning behind it, but the short answer is signature :) The background is just watercolor marks in blue, red and violet.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: June 02, 2013, 08:41:28 AM »
Ok. That is pretty awesome.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #251 on: June 30, 2013, 12:56:12 AM »
Saw this shared on FB, it is similar to a design I want to have done, but I would want mine smaller.

Quite possibly the sickest tattoo I've ever seen...

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #252 on: June 30, 2013, 01:03:51 AM »
Damn.

And ThroughHerEyesDude, very cool!
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #253 on: July 01, 2013, 11:09:00 AM »
I posted this in the Rush thread but didn't realize there was a thread here as well. Got my first tattoo on June 20th, based on this bit of Rush artwork:

I was/am super happy with the work on the skull, but the crown does leave some things to be desired. Thankfully two of my major issues will be easy to get touched up and I'll have that done on the 11th. The top center jewel is off center, so I'll likely have the jewel next to it enlarged and have one added between the two on top that is centered. And around that top nob the jewels on one side come down to meet the red and on the other side do not, so I'll have that fixed.

And this isn't a good picture either really, just the first one I took when I got home.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #254 on: July 01, 2013, 11:33:27 AM »
I see exactly what you're pointing out.  On first glance, it isn't really all that noticeable - but once you see it, you can't un-see it.  Did your artist not use a stencil/template?  Seems like pretty basic stuff (symmetry) that a top notch artist wouldn't mess up
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #255 on: July 01, 2013, 01:20:52 PM »
I see exactly what you're pointing out.  On first glance, it isn't really all that noticeable - but once you see it, you can't un-see it.  Did your artist not use a stencil/template?  Seems like pretty basic stuff (symmetry) that a top notch artist wouldn't mess up

Well, let me go through my experience at this place. It came recommended by three different friends, and so I stopped in with my gf who was also planning a tattoo and went over with them what I wanted, asked them who they'd recommend for the work, and made my appointment. I went home, checked out the work by my artist, and liked it. The week went by and I came in and the artist that was supposed to do my tattoo had gotten backed up by a pack (4 girls getting similar tattoos) a bit earlier and I either had to wait a bit or have someone else do it. Wasn't happy with this (as it was already 5pm and I wanted to have the tat done for the Rush show the next day), but I looked at the girls book and she had some fantastic work.

Now I know she was not working off of her own stencil, and hadn't really prepared to do this particular tattoo, and that might have played a role in the mistakes in the crown. The skull is something they do so regularly I'm guessing that's why it came out so well while the crown not as much. Also, the original image doesn't have the crown sitting perfectly on the skull, and I thought she did alright with most of it.

And further, I honestly didn't catch those things I mentioned on the stencil or right after, but as you saw, once I did see it, there is no unseeing it.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #256 on: July 01, 2013, 01:24:28 PM »
Also, I was chatting with Hyperplex earlier, and I might make some additions to this tattoo. It was a 3hr process and my first time so it was quite a leap to begin with, but not that I have it I wish I would have known I'd like having it so much. It's something I've wanted for a long time and always imagined that image there, but I wish I would have gotten the red stars put into the eye sockets.

I also am considering some kind of ovular, diamond, or rounded diamond border around it to house the alchemy symbols from Clockwork Angels. Andrew suggested possibly leaving the border out and going with ghosted symbols, which may be the way to go due to the size of the tattoo already on my arm.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #257 on: July 01, 2013, 04:41:38 PM »

Well, let me go through my experience at this place. It came recommended by three different friends, and so I stopped in with my gf who was also planning a tattoo and went over with them what I wanted, asked them who they'd recommend for the work, and made my appointment. I went home, checked out the work by my artist, and liked it. The week went by and I came in and the artist that was supposed to do my tattoo had gotten backed up by a pack (4 girls getting similar tattoos) a bit earlier and I either had to wait a bit or have someone else do it. Wasn't happy with this (as it was already 5pm and I wanted to have the tat done for the Rush show the next day), but I looked at the girls book and she had some fantastic work.

Now I know she was not working off of her own stencil, and hadn't really prepared to do this particular tattoo, and that might have played a role in the mistakes in the crown. The skull is something they do so regularly I'm guessing that's why it came out so well while the crown not as much. Also, the original image doesn't have the crown sitting perfectly on the skull, and I thought she did alright with most of it.

And further, I honestly didn't catch those things I mentioned on the stencil or right after, but as you saw, once I did see it, there is no unseeing it.

Now that you mention it, the tat matches the picture in regards to how the crown sits.  Quit being such a whiny bitch!   :lol

Maybe the Clockwork Angels clock on your other shoulder?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #258 on: July 01, 2013, 05:31:11 PM »

Now that you mention it, the tat matches the picture in regards to how the crown sits.  Quit being such a whiny bitch!   :lol

Maybe the Clockwork Angels clock on your other shoulder?

Nope, that is where the Majesty symbol will go. :D

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #259 on: July 02, 2013, 09:22:36 AM »
Dammit, I have some sketches of what I'd like to do with this tattoo, but the copier/scanner/faxer/ubersized super machine in my office is currently offline and needing to be fixed.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #260 on: July 09, 2013, 12:54:02 PM »
I'm still going to work on your other request. If I ever have some free moments, I'll put some stuff together.

Also, I'll leave it up to Nem to post, but I did design her next tattoo...I think I made a thread about it back when I drew it in February. I need to design more...
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #261 on: July 09, 2013, 01:23:32 PM »
Thank you!

As for what I was talking about earlier, here are some sketches. I think the diamond especially looks great on paper, but likely not on my arm.

Diamond

Rounded Diamond

Oval

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #262 on: July 09, 2013, 01:33:04 PM »
I'm planning on a half sleeve for my left arm. Half for now, then when I don't have to worry about jobs, I'll full sleeve that bitch.

Offline penguinspanda

• v. Pandavarium
  • It doesnt matter if you're black or white...
« Reply #263 on: September 22, 2013, 09:46:57 PM »
Working on my half sleeve for my right arm (mostly pinups, more traditional style). But I refused to leave without some 'new' ink- So I got the heart I'd been wanting forever.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #264 on: September 22, 2013, 10:31:43 PM »

I've been branded! AKUMA everywhere!

Don't mind my caveman hairs. /40YEAROLDVIRGINSCENEFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

To me, this symbol means resolve...that's all. (It's from a manga called Berserk, and it's a 'curse brand'; in the story, people who have it are forever haunted by demons) I am now...addicted. I'm probably going to get another soon. No one told me tattoos were addictive.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 10:39:45 PM by TioJorge »

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Dave Cubbler

« Reply #265 on: September 23, 2013, 12:14:06 PM »
Train of Thought tattoo!!  Just had it done 2 days ago.  Couldn't wait to get it out there!

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #266 on: September 23, 2013, 05:49:22 PM »
Train of Thought tattoo!!  Just had it done 2 days ago.  Couldn't wait to get it out there!

:metal :metal :metal :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #267 on: September 23, 2013, 09:00:03 PM »
That's pretty sweet!  I like that it's a "colorized" version of the artwork.  I always thought the black and white was kinda dull.  Also, this makes it unique.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #268 on: September 23, 2013, 09:21:48 PM »
Ditto. That's fuckin' awesome. I'm thinking of getting my next tat on my shoulder-arm-area. The chest hurt really fucking bad.  :lol Not even going to make out that it didn't hurt like a bitch. I'm also a bitch. I got up off the table and it was SOAKED with a literal outline of my body with sweat.  :rollin Fuggin.......

I'm not one for extravagant art like that, mainly because I'm afraid of both the pain and the artist's ability, but also because I'd like my tattoos to look as if they were something other than tattoos. For the one I got, I was going for a 'brand'. The next I'm getting, I'll be going for a militaristic emblem...that is also from a manga/anime.  :P

But that...that looks awesome. I'm afraid to get any type of musical tattoo...the only one I've considered is Porcupine Tree and/or Steven Wilson type tattoo. Even DT would be something I'd probably regret. Especially due to the fact that I dislike their newer music now....sadly. But it'd either be PT or Radiohead if I did get a musically inspired tattoo.

THESE THINGS PEEL LIKE A MOTHERFUCKER.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: September 23, 2013, 09:25:09 PM »
That ToT tat is beautiful -tear-

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Dave Cubbler

« Reply #270 on: September 23, 2013, 10:18:43 PM »
That's pretty sweet!  I like that it's a "colorized" version of the artwork.  I always thought the black and white was kinda dull.  Also, this makes it unique.

Thanks, I appreciate it.  Yea I've seen many different DT tattoos but not too many TOT covers out there.  I am a fan of the heavier DT stuff so naturally TOT is high on my list.  But as far as album art goes, its definitely my favorite. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #271 on: September 23, 2013, 10:48:52 PM »
That's some sick ink bro!!!!

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #272 on: September 23, 2013, 11:49:51 PM »
Pretty badass!
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #273 on: January 17, 2014, 04:24:49 PM »
Necrothread?

Bleh, this is a legitimate post.

I got another tattoo, you can see the first one above it (or a few pages back). But the new one is Iron Maiden's Powerslave "Sphinx" Eddie:

« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 05:01:17 PM by adameastment »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: January 17, 2014, 04:56:55 PM »
That is sweet, dude!  :tup

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #275 on: January 31, 2014, 10:09:50 PM »

Thought I'd share. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #276 on: February 01, 2014, 06:00:25 AM »
I'm more excited about seeing a Jaffa than seeing the tattoo. :D
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: February 01, 2014, 06:30:40 AM »
Cool concept.  Get the same with a couple of Majesty symbols on the other shoulder.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #278 on: February 01, 2014, 07:17:33 AM »

Excited, eh?  :zydar:

Cool concept.  Get the same with a couple of Majesty symbols on the other shoulder.

Thanks!  To be honest, I'm not in any rush to get another one done, but if I ever do feel the itch, I may just take that suggestion.  :)
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #279 on: February 01, 2014, 07:46:27 AM »

Same too!  HE'S REAL!!!! :lol

So guys, I'm thinking of getting this for my first tattoo ever.  Of course it's Rush related.  What do you think?

I want to add one thing to it.  The hand written P/G around it somewhere.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC