Author Topic: The officially offical tattoo thread!  (Read 107379 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: The officially offical tattoo thread!
« Reply #175 on: August 30, 2012, 03:57:12 PM »
Guys, you're gonna kill me but I covered up my DT tatt. Pics coming soon...

Why did you do that????
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #176 on: August 30, 2012, 07:30:34 PM »
It was a shitty old tattoo that wasn't worth touching up because, quite frankly, I'm not nearly enough into DT anymore.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: August 30, 2012, 09:05:20 PM »
It's comments like that that make me think twice whenever I consider getting my majesty tat
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #178 on: August 30, 2012, 09:10:25 PM »
It's comments like that that make me think twice whenever I consider getting my majesty tat

That's why it's always suggested that you wait and REALLY think about what you want.  Hell, I wanted my first tat to be a silver crescent moon with a purple star hanging off of it.  And YES, I would've regretted getting that done. :lol   It took me 8 years to get my first and only, and I got the Alice in Chains Dirt sun as drawn by Layne Staley since he'd died in 2002 and, at that time, AiC was my favorite band.  Yes, it's cliche, but to me it was more about having Layne's art on me permanently as a tribute to him - he's in my Top 10 singers of all time.

I will say that I want my second one to be the Majesty logo, but that's because I've been a DT fan for about as long as I've been an AiC fan and I don't see  that changing any time soon.  While I'm disappointed that Jackie got hers covered, SHE wasn't happy with it and she's really not into DT anymore.  It was her call to do that, regardless if we agree or not.  Just because that was her decision doesn't necessarily mean and follow that it will be yours too.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: August 30, 2012, 10:15:18 PM »
I've just always wondered what would happen if i get it and lose Interest down the line. I dont think I will and i already have the line from Octavarium tatted...

Idk

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #180 on: August 30, 2012, 10:16:27 PM »
Yeah, but AFAIR that was a tribute to your Pops.  Yes?

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: August 30, 2012, 10:41:41 PM »
Yup

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #182 on: August 30, 2012, 10:57:59 PM »
IMO, that's different from just getting something because it looks cool or something for a band you like "just because" and then a few years down the line you don't even listen to that band anymore.  If you honestly do not see that happening with you and DT, why NOT get the Majesty logo?

It is impossible to predict what'll happen in the future, but... I can only say that, for me, when (not if) I do get the Majesty logo tatted on me I won't regret it.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #183 on: August 31, 2012, 02:47:41 AM »
I wouldn't regret it even if I fall out of love with a band; it just means I loved them enough at the time and that they helped me become who I am. But when I do a DT tat, it probably won't be the Majesty logo, but pieces of album art (IAW and Awake) and quotes, like I said in the previous thread. Though, maybe I get a Majesty logo afterwards, who knows :D

But before that, there are little tattoos for each of my shoulders to be done: the words "Navigating by the stars" will be the first one, and this will be the other one:

I can't wait to actually do them in a couple of years.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #184 on: August 31, 2012, 09:29:14 AM »
Wow, I really like the imagery of that one.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #185 on: September 01, 2012, 02:46:36 AM »
Me too - that's really unique as well.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: September 01, 2012, 02:49:21 AM »
It's not unique, I snagged it off of an album cover :biggrin: Five gold stars for the person who figures out which one first.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #187 on: September 01, 2012, 02:49:57 AM »
WORK WITH ME, DAMMIT! :angry:

:biggrin: :heart

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: September 01, 2012, 02:58:06 AM »
Okay okay.

I like you too, btw :heart

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #189 on: September 01, 2012, 03:04:44 AM »
 :lol

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #190 on: November 02, 2012, 11:44:20 AM »
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #191 on: November 02, 2012, 02:16:12 PM »
I think soon the wife and I will do our best to support businesses in lower Manhattan, and go get more ink.  Gotta stimulate the economy!
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #192 on: November 02, 2012, 04:23:01 PM »
Now that Faye's posted her Majesty tat, I want one. :( :lol

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #193 on: November 03, 2012, 01:13:59 AM »
Do itttt! I'm so happy with it. Ever since I first got into DT about seven or eight years ago I knew I fancied a Majesty tattoo, I loved and still do love them more than any other music I've ever heard, and just knew that they'd be a big part of my life for as far into the future as I can see. And I love tattoos for the committment and permanence, making something you're passionate about an indelible part of your body for the rest of your life (I have one other animal rights related tattoo got for similar reasons).

Keep forgetting it's their and then remembering and feeling over the moon :) How long have you been into DT?
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #194 on: November 03, 2012, 04:11:23 AM »
Oh, I will get one - if not this year, then hopefully next year.  The only one I have so far is an Alice in Chains related one - I got it as a tribute to Layne Staley (RIP :( ) and on my birthday next year I'll have had it for 10 years.  Time flies. :eek

I've been into DT since late 1992/early 1993, which is about as long as I've been into AiC too. :)

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #195 on: November 03, 2012, 02:54:21 PM »
As soon as I pay my parents back which shouldn't take too long, I'll be getting the Devin Townsend Project logo.  I figure it'll be a good first tattoo and I can judge from there whether I could stand getting a detailed one such as a john baizley piece  :D

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #196 on: November 14, 2012, 09:25:13 AM »
666 Likes of Faye's tattoo on DT's FB page ... and counting.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #197 on: November 14, 2012, 11:07:18 AM »
I waited till I was 43 years old (my avatar picture) to get my first. It is a mix of alot of things. The image of the sacred heart DT used/uses, mixed in with my twin sons initials in the 2 vines, and the vines also stand for 2 losses via miscarriages in my life (well ex wife and a girfriend from many years ago (loooong story). My second is on my arm which is the names and birth dates of my sons. Going in 1 month for some more work, a picture of my dog that passed away 2 years ago.

whoops, forgot I already posted them here. I well. I will post my new one when i get it.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 11:12:20 AM by njdtfan »
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: November 19, 2012, 11:08:26 AM »
I am getting a new one too.. Just need a nice DT design....

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: November 19, 2012, 06:00:28 PM »

https://www.myspace.com/dreamtheater/photos/albums/fan-tattoos/590503

I swear to god I am going to get that Octavarium verse on my back sooner or later

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: November 21, 2012, 11:13:46 AM »

https://www.myspace.com/dreamtheater/photos/albums/fan-tattoos/590503

I swear to god I am going to get that Octavarium verse on my back sooner or later

:heart

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: November 21, 2012, 11:21:42 AM »
Can't hotlink the pic from Instagram (or if I can, I can't figure it out).  Did ya see what DT posted on their FB?

https://statigr.am/p/327082088287102319_254849024

Whoa!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: November 21, 2012, 11:22:53 AM »
 :omg:

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #203 on: November 21, 2012, 11:38:02 AM »
Was that a horrible tattoo or was the picture quality beyond terrible?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #204 on: November 21, 2012, 11:51:24 AM »
I don't have any.  Closest I came was about 20 years ago, I designed a very intricate crest that is similar to the House Of Lords logo crest (see the logo in the upper right on James Christian's page:  https://www.jameschristianmusic.com/home.html).  I loved it, and the fact that I designed and drew it made it more special.  Problem was, I wanted it on my shoulder, but it was so intricate that the couple of artists I took it to said they couldn't do it unless they made it a lot bigger, which would have required putting it on my back or somewhere else, and I really didn't want to do that.  So, yeah, never got it done.

EDIT:  There's a much better pic of that log down the page a bit if you scroll down to the cover art for the Big Money album.

EDIT2:  Or...I could just post it:

Basically, it was that.  But I changed the griffins a bit (I think I may have made one into a dragon, but I can't recall), and changed the shield considerably.  I also made the vine work more intricate and had some things hidden in the vine work that were very meaningful and had significance to events in my life.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: November 21, 2012, 12:16:51 PM »
Was that a horrible tattoo or was the picture quality beyond terrible?

Well, it wasn't an exact replica of the SFAM cover, but it may have just been after 1 or 2 sittings.  That's a big enough job it would take a few I'm sure.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: November 24, 2012, 05:08:30 AM »
:woot:

I made DT's FB page too.  Not sure I'll be able to top Faye's 1,241 'likes' though.  I'm sure a lot of those likes are for more than just the tattoo.  :drool:

Bosk... now that you're older and wiser, get that fuckin tattoo.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #207 on: November 24, 2012, 05:12:15 AM »
Saw it a few minutes ago! Congrats. :tup

And sorry bud, but you can't compete with that. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: November 24, 2012, 05:55:59 AM »
yeah don't even ....  :lol

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: November 24, 2012, 05:59:24 AM »
Congrats, just saw it :) it's a lovely tat indeed.