Author Topic: MP forum Roll Call  (Read 7174 times)

Offline Chris Hinton

Re: MP forum Roll Call
« Reply #175 on: October 13, 2017, 10:33:16 AM »
Man, I wish the MP forum was still around so I could post this in the compression thread...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
« Reply #176 on: October 13, 2017, 10:55:27 AM »
HAHAHA. 

"I can hear the difference between ones and zeros." 

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
« Reply #177 on: October 13, 2017, 11:36:23 PM »
HAHAHA. 

Well, obviously. The more zeros there are the better the bass sounds. Gives you that round and fat bottom end.
"It is I - Turkey Volume Guessing Man!" - Crow from MST3K
"Military Intelligence - Two Words Combined That Can't Make Sense." - Hangar 18

Online Kattelox

• Cart Corral Crusader
« Reply #178 on: October 14, 2017, 09:02:30 AM »
Fat bottom ends make the rockin' world go round.
RYM || Last.FM
"No Christ, God, nor religion gave me the answers I was looking for" - Timo Tolkki

Offline Vaterman

« Reply #179 on: October 14, 2017, 11:01:15 AM »
Little late jumping on this thread. Vaterman here, same as the MP forum. Lurker since 2000, member since 2003. Still sad about the Forum shutting down. This will be my new daily go to. For the record I'm not digging DS vibe and smack talk either. Need to update my avatar and other vitals.

Thanks for starting this thread and bringing us all home.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

• warflwwcesfw
« Reply #180 on: October 15, 2017, 01:12:59 AM »
HAHAHA. 

Yeah, it's called djent

Offline Lethean

« Reply #181 on: October 15, 2017, 09:38:38 AM »
HAHAHA. 

I think I only lightly participated in those discussions, but I did read a lot of them, and wow.  I can rarely (very very rarely) tell the difference between an mp3 and a wav.  To claim that you can tell the difference between  lossless compression and a wav?  I'd like to put that to the test with a blind listening test.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

• warflwwcesfw
« Reply #182 on: October 15, 2017, 02:41:59 PM »
HAHAHA. 

I think I only lightly participated in those discussions, but I did read a lot of them, and wow.  I can rarely (very very rarely) tell the difference between an mp3 and a wav.  To claim that you can tell the difference between  lossless compression and a wav?  I'd like to put that to the test with a blind listening test.

.wav IS lossless, isn't it?

Offline Lethean

« Reply #183 on: October 16, 2017, 09:06:44 AM »
HAHAHA. 

.wav IS lossless, isn't it?

Yes. But there was someone claiming they could tell the difference between a wav and the lossless compression formats like flac.  I don't think anyone else was buying it. :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: October 16, 2017, 09:11:08 AM »
It's my understanding that it is.

For me, I am skeptical of any claim that we can knowingly and reliably hear the difference (on a consistent basis) between the higher scan rates and lossless.   I think it's like anything else; we WANT to hear a difference and so we do, for whatever reason.   

Offline Lethean

« Reply #185 on: October 16, 2017, 10:21:41 PM »
I think I'm probably perfectly happy, and probably better off, not being able to hear the difference.  :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: October 17, 2017, 08:35:31 AM »
That's kind of how I feel. 

Offline faizoff

« Reply #187 on: October 23, 2017, 10:14:33 AM »
Me personally, I can tell the difference between 128 KBps and 320 KBps mp3s. I do, however, have a very tough time telling the difference between 320 and FLAC/WAV. It was only a few years ago when I upgraded my computer and had a newer audio chip and a good pair of noise-cancelling headphones that I could sorta tell there was a difference between them..

Now since I buy a lot of bluray audio albums, I can really hear a good difference in the full BR format and the mp3/flac counterparts.

But in the end I settle for 320 for most of my music on casual listen, when I want to really immerse myself, that's when the blurays come out.

Another thing I noticed, I've tried the premium versions of  Spotify, Google music, Amazon prime and Microsoft Groove music. I find the best sound ones to be that played by Groove. Everyone else has something always lacking. In this case I'm talking about playing the tracks on my iPhone with the stock headphones, the same tracks sound the best on Groove, too bad that service is closing out after end of this year.
The Dwarf lives until we find a cock merchant.

Online Kattelox

• Cart Corral Crusader
« Reply #188 on: October 23, 2017, 10:37:55 AM »
My Spotify experience got a hell of a lot better when I set the download/stream quality to 'extreme' and also used the options in the audio settings to personalize my own experience. Put your headphones on in a quiet environment and follow the instructions as it plays beeps and adjusts the playback to your hearing. Pretty cool stuff.
RYM || Last.FM
"No Christ, God, nor religion gave me the answers I was looking for" - Timo Tolkki

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: October 24, 2017, 12:37:07 PM »
Anyone here use Pono?

Offline Lethean

« Reply #190 on: October 28, 2017, 10:16:05 AM »
I'm not familiar with it, so no. But I just looked it up, and see that the portable music player is $450 on Amazon. Even if I could tell the difference, I don't trust that I wouldn't lose or drop the thing and damage it. My iPod still works, but I have dropped it a few times, and while I'd be upset if it broke, I'm not afraid to carry it around and use it.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #191 on: October 31, 2017, 06:41:26 AM »
Anyone know in touch with or contact the user DTD from the MP forum? I hope he's here lurking.
The Dwarf lives until we find a cock merchant.

Offline MusicMaker

« Reply #192 on: February 21, 2018, 01:15:56 AM »
It took me a few months, but I made it.  I actually joined DTF several years ago when Portnoy left DT (even have the email still to prove it!), but for whatever reason had to rejoin with a brand new account recently (using the exact same login/account info).  I figure my account probably got deleted due to too much inactivity on my part or something.

Anyway, I always liked the MP.com and DTF communities- been around both for a long time- maybe 12 years or so, though I rarely post.  If no one remembers me (no worries!) I used to have good (and very civil/thoughtful) discussions with Bails, Stadler, Dave in Manchester, Spunky, and lots of others.  Aside from music discussion, the stuff that some might remember me from were topics like copyright and creator's rights, future of music under streaming/free distribution models, whether music/art can be objectively better/worse than other music/art, and tons more.  I had to mostly pull out over the last couple years- had to lurk because I just didn't have enough time to keep participating in the conversations at the level I felt I'd need to.  So lurk mode is the usual for me these days.

My real claim to fame, and I doubt he even remembers this, was turning Dave in Manchester on to Moon Safari!   :coolio

Online Kattelox

• Cart Corral Crusader
« Reply #193 on: February 21, 2018, 10:00:14 AM »
Pardon if this is against the rules but anybody who was part of the MP Forum, there are some people who have not joined up here, but there's a link in my signature to where a bunch of us stragglers picked up the slack and formed a 'refuge' community of sorts. I know they'd be more than happy to see ya'll.
RYM || Last.FM

Offline Mindinsky0

« Reply #194 on: July 20, 2018, 04:15:40 PM »
Hey guys I finally got in. I used to go by "When me and n. portman unite" on the MP Forum. I sure miss that place. i learned about so many great bands, had many lols and many arguments as well.