Author Topic: This may be the downfall of music.  (Read 20223 times)

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
Re: This may be the downfall of music.
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2010, 04:33:37 AM »
Why isn't Miley naked here? This thread is boring.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2010, 05:22:14 AM »
How is writing your own music a marker of good pop? If a song is good, it's good, and if it's bad, it's bad, not only regardless of whether the person singing it wrote it themselves, but regardless of who wrote it at all. To me, it just seems like a silly standard that people approaching pop from other genres use to try to pick out the "tr00" artists. Considering the way pop as a genre works, you just can't break it down like that.

On which note, it's a laugh that people try and argue Gaga is a better pop artist than the bunch, among other reasons, because she wrote her own music. I don't care who fucking wrote it, it's still average at best, and so is she.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2010, 05:31:40 AM »
How is writing your own music a marker of good pop? If a song is good, it's good, and if it's bad, it's bad, not only regardless of whether the person singing it wrote it themselves, but regardless of who wrote it at all. To me, it just seems like a silly standard that people approaching pop from other genres use to try to pick out the "tr00" artists. Considering the way pop as a genre works, you just can't break it down like that.

On which note, it's a laugh that people try and argue Gaga is a better pop artist than the bunch, among other reasons, because she wrote her own music. I don't care who fucking wrote it, it's still average at best, and so is she.

I've fallen into this trap before, but I definitely agree with you. However, I really like Gaga's music, so yeah.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2010, 05:34:06 AM »

If we're all going by this. I hate all pop music and everyone in this thread sucks.  ;)
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2010, 05:46:49 AM »

I've fallen into this trap before, but I definitely agree with you. However, I really like Gaga's music, so yeah.
Fair enough. Just don't try and convince me she's great by saying "she wrote her songs all by herself, the clever little thing". Which is what a lot of people seem to do, especially in her case.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2010, 06:31:21 AM »

Good point. It's better with country music I reckon, artists re-interpret the songs their way and this can also get us into other artists. I should get the courage for checking out Kristoffer Kristofferson, Johnny Cash has covered his songs many times.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2010, 06:44:45 AM »
KeSha is better than Lady Gaga cause she's sexier and that's the only real factor that's used to judge a female pop star in our current times even if everybody would like to pretend that it's not.

https://www.moejackson.com/2010-hot-or-not-kesha-rocks-a-swimsuit-bondi-beach-in-australia-0324?page=0,2

She's totally hot...

mmmmm rectangle body.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2010, 06:49:04 AM »
KeSha is better than Lady Gaga cause she's sexier and that's the only real factor that's used to judge a female pop star in our current times even if everybody would like to pretend that it's not.

https://www.moejackson.com/2010-hot-or-not-kesha-rocks-a-swimsuit-bondi-beach-in-australia-0324?page=0,2

She's totally hot...

mmmmm rectangle body.

*applauds in a speed faster than :slowclap: but slower than :clap:* :coolio

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2010, 06:51:58 AM »
If you look carefully, you can see Miley Cyrus' Bieber.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2010, 07:28:39 AM »
Also, does that picture looked shopped to anyone else? Specifically Bieber's head?
Oh man, it does  :lol

Also, isn't Cyrus only like 16? What's she doing being half naked on stage and shit? I feel like I'm doing something illegal when I see pictures of her like this on the internet.
She's almost your age.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2010, 08:15:16 AM »
If you look carefully, you can see Miley Cyrus' Bieber.

Is it the peach fuzz that reminds you of something, something.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2010, 08:22:04 AM »
Something...

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: June 28, 2010, 08:22:54 AM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #84 on: June 28, 2010, 08:25:50 AM »
Surely, you get the Chris Hansen connection here.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: June 28, 2010, 08:27:31 AM »
Surely, you get the Chris Hansen connection here.

No!! I don't. I feel dumb! :D

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #86 on: June 28, 2010, 08:51:03 AM »
Chris Hansen was the host of the Dateline NBC show "To Catch A Predator":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Catch_a_Predator

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #87 on: June 28, 2010, 09:31:31 AM »
forgot about Timberlake.  Timberlake is amazing.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #88 on: June 28, 2010, 09:49:48 AM »
GOOD POP
- Justin Timberlake
- Lady Gaga
- Madonna
- Ace of Base
- Kelly Clarkson
- Christina Aguilera
- Pink
- Michael Jackson
- Junior Senior
- Shakira

OK POP
- Owl City
- Taylor Swift
- Spice Girls
- NSync/Backstreet Boys
- Hanson (MmmBop is awesome, you have to admit that)
- Ke$ha
- Gwen Stefani (No Doubt is very cool, her solo stuff is just meh)
- Aqua

ABSOLUTE CRAP POP
- Miley Cyrus
- Justin Bieber
- Britney Spears
- Katy Perry
- Gerardo

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #89 on: June 28, 2010, 09:57:24 AM »
Hey, if you are gonna rank Ke$ha as OK Pop, then Britney Spears is good to ok pop if you only consider her early works.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #90 on: June 28, 2010, 10:02:59 AM »
GOOD POP
Does not compute

OK POP
Does not compute

ABSOLUTE CRAP POP
All of it

FTFM

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: June 28, 2010, 10:11:33 AM »
Hey, if you are gonna rank Ke$ha as OK Pop, then Britney Spears is good to ok pop if you only consider "Toxic."

Fix'd

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #92 on: June 28, 2010, 12:01:41 PM »
GOOD POP
- Justin Timberlake
- Lady Gaga
- Madonna
- Christina Aguilera
- Pink
- Michael Jackson
- Shakira

I agree with all of this, actually, though I'd move all but one or two of the artists you put in "OK pop" to "crap pop".

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #93 on: June 28, 2010, 02:16:28 PM »
GOOD POP
- Justin Timberlake
- Lady Gaga
- Pink
Please...

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: June 28, 2010, 02:23:02 PM »
How is writing your own music a marker of good pop? If a song is good, it's good, and if it's bad, it's bad, not only regardless of whether the person singing it wrote it themselves, but regardless of who wrote it at all.

True, but there's a pretty damn strong correlation between artists who write their own music and music that's worth listening to. There's obviously exceptions to this, Elton John being one, Kesha obviously not on the same tier. Of course, pop artists writing their own music doesn't necessarily translate to anything special. I don't see, for example, how Lady Gaga is ANY different from the rest of those faceless pops act out now (other than her putting on a face).

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #95 on: June 28, 2010, 02:26:54 PM »
GOOD POP
- Justin Timberlake
- Lady Gaga
- Madonna
- Ace of Base
- Kelly Clarkson
- Christina Aguilera
- Pink
- Michael Jackson
- Junior Senior
- Shakira

OK POP
- Owl City
- Taylor Swift
- Spice Girls
- NSync/Backstreet Boys
- Hanson (MmmBop is awesome, you have to admit that)
- Ke$ha
- Gwen Stefani (No Doubt is very cool, her solo stuff is just meh)
- Aqua

ABSOLUTE CRAP POP
- Miley Cyrus
- Justin Bieber
- Britney Spears
- Katy Perry
- Gerardo

Agreed on most counts. Cannot stand Stafani though.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #96 on: June 28, 2010, 02:27:36 PM »
Chris Hansen was the host of the Dateline NBC show "To Catch A Predator":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Catch_a_Predator

Remember when it got really big because they caught a teacher? That teacher taught at my school.  :|
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #97 on: June 28, 2010, 04:06:56 PM »
GOOD POP
- Justin Timberlake
- Lady Gaga
- Pink
Please...

So... you like Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus, and you don't like Justin Timberlake or Pink?  People who ACTUALLY CAN SING!?!?!?  Please back.

People who actually have some vocal talent should be pop stars.  People who have absolutely none need to go away.  Seriously.  Bieber is the only one with any OUNCE of vocal talent, and there are still millions of people who sing better than him.  Hell, I teach kids who sing better than all of those wannabes who actually made it because people are too dense to listen to the vocals and only buy their records because they are hot.

Go listen to Stupid Girl by Pink.  Because that song could totally be about Miley Cyrus and all the girls trying to be her or Britney Spears.  And the video is HILARIOUS.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: June 28, 2010, 04:08:53 PM »
How is writing your own music a marker of good pop? If a song is good, it's good, and if it's bad, it's bad, not only regardless of whether the person singing it wrote it themselves, but regardless of who wrote it at all.

True, but there's a pretty damn strong correlation between artists who write their own music and music that's worth listening to. There's obviously exceptions to this, Elton John being one, Kesha obviously not on the same tier. Of course, pop artists writing their own music doesn't necessarily translate to anything special. I don't see, for example, how Lady Gaga is ANY different from the rest of those faceless pops act out now (other than her putting on a face).

I'm confused on the Elton John remark.  He wrote the songs and Bernie wrote the lyrics.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #99 on: June 28, 2010, 04:09:15 PM »
Wow, a fight over pop stars.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: June 28, 2010, 04:11:22 PM »
Pink is super talented and has a killer voice.  I for one like that she went the harder edged sound as each album came out.

And Sigz. Gwen solo=Bad.  Gwen No Doubt=Gold.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #101 on: June 28, 2010, 04:13:05 PM »

:huh:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: June 28, 2010, 04:15:04 PM »

:huh:
Well, not their last album. Too dance beaty(Is that a word? :D)

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #103 on: June 28, 2010, 04:15:46 PM »
GOOD POP
- Justin Timberlake
- Lady Gaga
- Pink
Please...

So... you like Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus, and you don't like Justin Timberlake or Pink?  People who ACTUALLY CAN SING!?!?!?  Please back.

People who actually have some vocal talent should be pop stars.  People who have absolutely none need to go away.  Seriously.  Bieber is the only one with any OUNCE of vocal talent, and there are still millions of people who sing better than him.  Hell, I teach kids who sing better than all of those wannabes who actually made it because people are too dense to listen to the vocals and only buy their records because they are hot.

Go listen to Stupid Girl by Pink.  Because that song could totally be about Miley Cyrus and all the girls trying to be her or Britney Spears.  And the video is HILARIOUS.
I haven't said I like Bieber or Cyrus, quite the opposite. :P Maybe they can sing, but well... Timberlake defines the worst possible side of pop performed by, erm, men - the "wow look I'm so hot" guy with a voice sounding like he's about to fall apart, Pink sounds extremely annoying.

And well, I definitely don't like Britney Spears, and her early songs are equally terrible, but some of her later work is a different thing and two or three tiers above 90% of that list... The only one I can agree without any doubt whatsoever that it's good pop is Michael Jackson.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #104 on: June 28, 2010, 04:16:08 PM »
No I mean why is this oriented at me? I don't think I've heard anything from No Doubt or Gwen Stefani ever  :lol