Author Topic: So I hit Soprano C in full voice!  (Read 2098 times)

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
So I hit Soprano C in full voice!
« on: June 25, 2010, 09:41:32 PM »
and have been consistantly doing so for almost 2 weeks now, before I could only hit it in whistle. It's funny because my vocal teacher was like  :omg: and I was like  :metal . Anyway I am really posting this just to brag 'cause it's exciting to me. It has given me a new drive for singing, I'm practising more and plan on having 4 octaves this time next year.

Perhaps we could make this into a singing discussion thread.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
Re: So I hit Soprano C in full voice!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 10:20:57 PM »
I love to sing!

I have been singing for about five years now, and I get better all the time. I have no idea what my "range" is, but I can sing pretty much any note Daniel Gildenlöw can, if not as cool. I guess that would put me somewhere over four octaves.

I've been working on support a lot lately, and in the past year I've improved drastically. I guess with very few professional tips or lessons I've been learning sort of slowly.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 10:44:02 PM »
I love to sing!

I have been singing for about five years now, and I get better all the time. I have no idea what my "range" is, but I can sing pretty much any note Daniel Gildenlöw can, if not as cool. I guess that would put me somewhere over four octaves.

I've been working on support a lot lately, and in the past year I've improved drastically. I guess with very few professional tips or lessons I've been learning sort of slowly.

Awesome! I have to check out Daniel Gildenlöw and many others mentioned on this forum. I haven't really touched my computer in a month (I mainly post at work), so I haven't got into any new bands/artist. Just looked him up the site says C2-A5, very nice  :metal.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 11:00:01 AM »
I am known for having a strong head voice range. I've measured it on a keyboard, and it looks like I stop just short of 4 octaves. I have a very Halford like range, but my low end is more Danzig like. Very chesty.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 11:10:11 AM »
I find head voice to be hard to control for me. I have to learn how to breathe right for that sort of singing, because usually I do deep diaphragm style breathing and it comes out very windy. That sort of stuff is good for Steven Wilson style falsetto, but for more Daniel Gildenlöw style stuff I need improvement.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 12:00:16 PM »
I love singing in the car where nobody can hear me, but I don't honestly think I'm very good at it.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 07:47:10 PM »
That's cool. Got any demos? There's stuff up on my myspaces (my personal one and my band one). Nothing great. Working on some better stuff right now.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 03:30:43 PM »
I love singing in the car where nobody can hear me, but I don't honestly think I'm very good at it.
Same with me. I like to think I'm pretty good, but I really have no idea.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 03:36:19 PM »
I can sing, but I'm not a singer. Basically, I can hold a note really really well, and have a pretty decent range, but I just don't have the right voice for it. My "timbre", I guess, really isn't anything special. If you put me in a chorus I'd do very well, or like when I do vocal layering on protools it sounds fantastic, but I wouldn't be a very good lead vocalist.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline limnides

• DTF.org Member
  • Dum vita est, spes est.
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 03:39:28 PM »
Congratulations. :D

I used to sing in the choir for both middle and high school.  I really enjoyed myself, and I miss it bucketloads.
I'm entirely out of practice now.  but I'm seriously considering joining/trying out for my university's choir next year.

I can sing, but I'm not a singer. Basically, I can hold a note really really well, and have a pretty decent range, but I just don't have the right voice for it. My "timbre", I guess, really isn't anything special. If you put me in a chorus I'd do very well, or like when I do vocal layering on protools it sounds fantastic, but I wouldn't be a very good lead vocalist.
Same here.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 03:58:55 PM »
Same here.

This. I can pull off backing vocals, and maybe even a verse, but I could never sing a full song for a band. Although I would love to take voice lessons one day because I love singing.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 06:10:03 PM »
How do you get into practicing singing anyway? While I can see how you can tell if you play drums or guitar wrong, or if the instrument itself is wrong, how do you improve your voice, and tell if you are 'doing it right' so to speak?

Also, whenever I try to sing along to stuff it's kinda weird. I can sing things either low, but can't hit the high stuff while low, or I can sing it higher, but then can't hit the highest stuff either. there is no middle ground where I can do the high and low :S

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 08:04:28 PM »
That's cool. Got any demos? There's stuff up on my myspaces (my personal one and my band one). Nothing great. Working on some better stuff right now.

No, no demos. However I do plan on doing some recordings, I just don't have much time. I need to replace my mic cord and get some decent sofware and learn how to use it.

Same with me. I like to think I'm pretty good, but I really have no idea.

Record yourself and don't be afraid to suck, everyone does at some point.

Same here.

This. I can pull off backing vocals, and maybe even a verse, but I could never sing a full song for a band. Although I would love to take voice lessons one day because I love singing.

Anyone can sing, you just need to want it and practise. Range and tone are all expandable.

How do you get into practicing singing anyway? While I can see how you can tell if you play drums or guitar wrong, or if the instrument itself is wrong, how do you improve your voice, and tell if you are 'doing it right' so to speak?

Well doing scales and other exersizes, as well as examining what it feels like to get a note or timbre right. Things like resonance, breathe support and placement.

Also, whenever I try to sing along to stuff it's kinda weird. I can sing things either low, but can't hit the high stuff while low, or I can sing it higher, but then can't hit the highest stuff either. there is no middle ground where I can do the high and low :S

So when a song is low for half of the song and then goes high, you have trouble singing high and vice-versa? I used to have the same issue the best way to fix this is my opinion is when doing vocal exersizes focus on the entire range. Don't just do scales below middle C, do them all through your range. Sirens are great; this is starting on a low note and moving through all the notes up to a high note and then reverse it, start high and end low.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010, 10:57:20 PM »
Vocal training involves muscles. Much like working out, you have to know how to flex them properly to get them to do what you want them to. Look up some exercises on YouTube to get an idea. It takes a lot of hard work and training. I've been slacking lately. Need to get motivated again. Been busy writing and recording. Once the flow of shows come back in gear, I'll start to train hard again.