Author Topic: Whats the most disrespected Dream Theater album?  (Read 20817 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Whats the most disrespected Dream Theater album?
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2010, 06:57:33 AM »
They are all treated fairly.  The only one I could even see an argument for is WDADU, which gets judged on Charlie's vocals and the production values on the album, and not on the content of the composition.  However, the final product is what it is, and I can't listen to it very often. 
SC gets judged on being a "cheesy fantasy power metal album" (with an insane amount of one out of eight songs actually being that).
Give me a break.  The adjectives "cheesy," "fantasy," and "power metal" taken individually (not as a group, like you are using) can be applied to 7 of the 8 tracks (the exception is Repentance, for which I would use "drawn-out").
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2010, 06:59:58 AM »
 :rollin

Thanks for support. :biggrin:

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2010, 07:41:20 AM »
Systematic chaos

Amazing piece of work, so much fun, great musicianship, everything is in place except for some lyrics. Certainly one of my favorite albums, I love it so much.

I like you.
me 2
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2010, 08:29:27 AM »
Then you probably hate me ;)

Only Repentance/Ministry of Lost Souls are any good. And yes, that means I don't like In the Presence of Enemies. It has its moments, but as a 25 minute epic its extremely disappointing. Chop it down to 15 minutes or so and it would be a lot better.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2010, 09:07:46 AM »
Or just remove the boring, bloated second part.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2010, 09:12:22 AM »
Or just remove the boring, bloated second part.

That could work. I like the chanting section but that's the only thing in part 2 that I really like at all.

Also, do I really need to say anything about The Dark Eternal Night?

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2010, 09:18:19 AM »
Remove the second part, it's not classic prog enough to be good.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2010, 09:20:15 AM »
Easily When Dream and Day Unite. It is disrespected regularly by those who acknowledge its existence for a variety of reasons and disrespected by many others who pretty much forget it ever happened.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2010, 09:22:39 AM »
I think WDADU is the easy answer here.  Many either dismiss or ignore it, simply because it was their first album with a different singer. 

SC gets about as much as respect as it deserves.  If you don't think it gets that much, well, it probably doesn't deserve it, then.   

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2010, 10:39:14 AM »

Thanks for support. :biggrin:
You're welcome.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2010, 10:53:19 AM »
Easily When Dream and Day Unite. It is disrespected regularly by those who acknowledge its existence for a variety of reasons and disrespected by many others who pretty much forget it ever happened.
The Killing Hand is one of DT's best songs, honestly. Its just LaBrie isn't singing on it.

As for SC, I hate to say this about DT given its the major thing they are criticized for, but I honestly think of it being rather wanky. Look at The Dark Eternal Night and Part 2 of In the Presence of Enemies.

Offline j

« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2010, 11:06:31 AM »
Probably WDADU though pretty much all DT albums are received the way they should except Black Clouds which has been received a little too well IMO. Systematic Chaos deserves everything it gets, though.

Systematic Chaos without any contest.

There have been a lot of SC backers around lately.  At any rate, far more than WDADU has ever had.

SC is probably number two, followed by FII and then maybe ToT.  But there are enough people around that seem to absolutely love ToT that I don't think you can claim that it is overly disrespected.

-J

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2010, 11:16:50 AM »
Definitely WDADU. Its existence is almost completely disregarded most of the time.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2010, 03:19:32 PM »
The problem with WDADU is that it lacks some of the elements that make DT stand out and that's why it's often overlooked. Also, it's the only album where I can honestly say the production seriously brings it down, live versions sound way better. Neither is an issue with any other DT album.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2010, 04:21:18 PM »
I've heard that the guitar tone in This Dying Soul When JLB first comes in is taken directly from a Mudvayne song.

Say what you want about Mudvayne but LD 50 is god tier.

Mudvayne is easily the best nu-metal band in my opinion. No contest.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2010, 07:05:17 AM »
Probably WDADU, i've only listened to it 2-3 times or so, not that i have anything against it, but with another singer it just feels like another band.
I do like the live-versions of the songs, though they're quite spread throughout the discography.

I used to love SC, but it has kinda faded now.
Except for ITPOE1, Constant Motion and Repentance, much of the album 'drags' for me, and it probably deserves a lot of the hate it gets.
Still, ITPOE1 is probably a top10 DT-song for me, at least very high up, doesn't seem like many other fans think so. :P

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2010, 07:29:46 AM »
In The Presence of Enemies Pt. 1 is the only song from the album that seems to be liked a lot.

Offline fsh3702

• 爱梦剧院、爱数理化、爱吉他、爱mount&blade
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2010, 07:58:06 AM »
this thread seems not derived from a positive thinking manner. i think even the relative lame albums in the DT discography are much more competitive than other bands. the DT members are all elite musicians, at least they have displayed their unusually good instrumental techniques in all the album including TOT.

so we should learn to appreciate each album. i think the first album is excellent, better than TOT.

there's only one "most" i can designate as to the DT songs, that is "the DT song i most dislike is burning my soul".
F=ma
E=mc2=hν
▽E=-dB/dt
1h2/2m▽2ψ+Uψ=Eψ

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2010, 08:02:18 AM »
so we should learn to appreciate each album.

Why?  Just because we are fans does not mean we have to make ourselves like or appreciate every single thing they do.

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2010, 08:06:40 AM »

Why?  Just because we are fans does not mean we have to make ourselves like or appreciate every single thing they do.

That's true. We are not obliged or anything.

I hate fans who "forcefully" gets into certain albums from bands they like. Maybe because they want to be called "hard-core" fan or whatever, but that is just ridiculous. Don't waste your time on something that's mediocre or bad just because it's from a band you like.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline fsh3702

« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2010, 08:23:23 AM »

That's true. We are not obliged or anything.

I hate fans who "forcefully" gets into certain albums from bands they like. Maybe because they want to be called "hard-core" fan or whatever, but that is just ridiculous. Don't waste your time on something that's mediocre or bad just because it's from a band you like.

i don't know, maybe i'm stupid, but i am such a kind of person, i want to appreciate everything DT has. i even want to rationalize MP's bad habits of spit and alcoholism, yeah maybe i'm ridiculous. as a fact when you listen to a really bad song for many times, and you almost can recite every detail of it, this song also becomes much better.  however even though some DT songs are generic and derivative, they still have great techniques.
F=ma
E=mc2=hν
▽E=-dB/dt
1h2/2m▽2ψ+Uψ=Eψ

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2010, 08:27:28 AM »
Well, sorry if I offended you.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline fsh3702

« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2010, 08:43:58 AM »
Well, sorry if I offended you.

no no, no offend at all. sometimes i grumble to myself for my mistakes or bad choices, so that i can relax myself. good night, i'm going to watch world cup final german vs british.
F=ma
E=mc2=hν
▽E=-dB/dt
1h2/2m▽2ψ+Uψ=Eψ

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2010, 08:45:10 AM »
When Dream and Day Unite, obviously. It has many great moments but unfortunately many people dismiss it beacause of the vocals and production. I think Train of Thought also gets more criticism than it deserves just because of the heaviness.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2010, 09:15:31 AM »
When Dream and Day Unite, obviously. It has many great moments but unfortunately many people dismiss it beacause of the vocals and production. I think Train of Thought also gets more criticism than it deserves just because of the heaviness.

I don't mind Train of Thought (Me being one who relentlessly bashes SC). It has This Dying Soul, In the Name of God, and Steam of ****ing Consciousness afterall. But it also has Honor Thy Father, Endless Sacrifice, and As I Am, which in my opinion are songs that go on for far longer than they really need to. Cut back on the lengths of those songs and ToT would be in my top 5. Its about #7 or #8 for me.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2010, 10:38:25 AM »
as a fact when you listen to a really bad song for many times, and you almost can recite every detail of it, this song also becomes much better.

This is not only ridiculous, but also false.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline j

« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2010, 10:50:05 AM »

I don't mind Train of Thought (Me being one who relentlessly bashes SC). It has This Dying Soul, In the Name of God, and Steam of ****ing Consciousness afterall. But it also has Honor Thy Father, Endless Sacrifice, and As I Am, which in my opinion are songs that go on for far longer than they really need to. Cut back on the lengths of those songs and ToT would be in my top 5. Its about #7 or #8 for me.

Honestly I think EVERY song on ToT could have used some trimming down, except maybe As I Am.  TDS is definitely the worst offender, but they all have drawn out weak sections that could be cut or modified.  I rank only SC lower than ToT, although I still enjoy two or three songs from each.

-J

EDIT: vv Oh yeah, I forgot about Vacant.  That one obviously doesn't need cut down.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 02:04:42 PM by j »

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2010, 11:19:39 AM »
Honestly I think EVERY song on ToT could have used some trimming down, except maybe As I Am.  TDS is definitely the worst offender, but they all have drawn out weak sections that could be cut or modified.
I agree. As I Am and Vacant are the only two songs on the album that aren't bloated, in my opinion. Some are obviously worse offenders than others, but they all could have been edited down. This Dying Soul, Stream of Consciousness, and In the Name of God in particular.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 03:52:19 PM by pogoowner »

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2010, 12:17:11 PM »
In The Presence of Enemies Pt. 1 is the only song from the album that seems to be liked a lot.

I like that song, but I never find myself having any desire to listen to it. However, if it comes on, I enjoy it. The only song from that CD I ever WANT to listen to is Repentence.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2010, 01:06:38 PM »
I believe WDADU is the most 'disrespected,' I guess. As someone stated, it's often judged for things like it's production and Charlie's vocals when most of the music is just downright phenomenal. All the other albums seem to have stronger and ademate 'defenders,' if you will. Who knows, though? That's just the perspective of some random forum user (me).

Off topic-ish

Since yall are talking about SC, it has several songs I love putting on every now and then. For example, ITPOE (both parts), TMOLS, Repentance, and TDEN.

Kind of unrelated, but as a guitar player, I believe I have an interesting take on why I have such an easy time enjoying everything DT does. I just enjoy learning it all. All their songs almost represent a dot on the timeline of my guitar skill progression.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2010, 03:08:24 PM »
Systematic Chaos deserves everything it gets, though.
That wasn't the question though. The OP asked which is the most disrespected, and regardless of any justification, that is by a long way WDADU and SC.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2010, 03:16:44 PM »
But the OP asked which you thought was unfairly disrespected. SC definitely gets disrespected but for good reason.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2010, 03:19:47 PM »
Except that surprisingly 95% of those who see the good reason are "DT has ended after SFAM".

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2010, 03:36:00 PM »
You know I see you keep mentioning this group of people who think DT ended after SFAM but I can not for the life of me remember anyone here ever saying that.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2010, 03:42:32 PM »
I always though OV8 gets slagged all the time.  You always read people saying, "Besides the title track
& TROAE ,  meh to the rest", to paraphrase.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC