Author Topic: Overture 1928 question  (Read 2652 times)

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Overture 1928 question
« on: June 24, 2010, 08:40:25 PM »
According to Wikipedia, this song makes use of the whole-tone scale.  Can anyone give a time stamp of this?

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Overture 1928 question
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 11:15:06 PM »
I'm listening right now. So far, at 1:02.

...and that's it.

Offline rubislaw

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 03:46:21 AM »
Yep that's correct, although even that section isn't all whole tone, there are a few chromatic intervals too :)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 05:18:18 AM »
Whole tone is a fantastic scale when used wisely.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 05:57:38 AM »
I've been listening to music for a long f##king time, but this thread is Greek to me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 06:45:34 AM »
I've been listening to music for a long f##king time, but this thread is Greek to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whole_tone_scale

A scale that is used mostly in jazz but when used in metal cleverly can sound outstanding.  Very dreamlike and spacey sounding.  A couple of examples that I can think of;

James LaBrie - Freaks - 4:02, amazing whole tone scale run from Marco
Strapping Young Lad - Wrong Side - 1:32, Dev proves he is a force to be reckoned with on the guitar.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 06:48:44 AM »
Thanks Wolf!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 07:20:03 PM »
Whole tone scales sound like floating to me.  I've been trying to think of ways to incorporate them into some songs but they're quite tricky to use.  Cheers for those examples too, wolfking.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 07:36:58 AM »
Whole tone scales sound like floating to me.  I've been trying to think of ways to incorporate them into some songs but they're quite tricky to use.  Cheers for those examples too, wolfking.

Floating!  Excellent description.  It is a constant challenge to incorporate them.  Play with some different kinds of backing tracks and try and throw a quick whole tone scale in and see what happens, have a mess around.  You can probably find some proper lessons, as I'm not too clever with the whole theory side of it.  Check this out, a little jam by Marco Sfogli over a Larry Carlton style backing.  based in Cminor, but if you notice at 1:01, he throws in a quick run down of the whole tone scale.  I think the chord under that whole tone run could be a Gmin or Gmin7 so he is using the G whole tone scale. (I think)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f27P6_DB1vw