Author Topic: Serj Tankian "Borders Are" From new album "Imperfect Harmonies"  (Read 3714 times)

Offline Slain

It kind of grows on you, but... I hope the other songs are much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k40su7eHgIs

And is anyone else sick of all of the comments saying "SOAD GET BACK TOGETHER" when that is extremely unrealistic?
Quote from: MarlaHooch
Just amazing.  DT should count their lucky stars that some of their fans are at this level of unconditional cult worship.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
Re: Serj Tankian "Borders Are" From new album "Imperfect Harmonies"
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 05:24:20 PM »
And is anyone else sick of all of the comments saying "SOAD GET BACK TOGETHER" when that is extremely unrealistic?

No because SOAD is definitely better than all the other side projects formed from it combined.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Slain

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 05:27:03 PM »

No because SOAD is definitely better than all the other side projects formed from it combined.

I just can't stand Daron Malakian, his singing, and his general attitude. And I'm interested to see what Serj can develop into as a solo artist. But honestly, I'm almost certain we won't see a reunion.
Just amazing.  DT should count their lucky stars that some of their fans are at this level of unconditional cult worship.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 05:28:09 PM »
Just like all the people that comment on Alice in Chains videos and say, "It'll never be the same without Layne. They shouldn't be tarnishing the name of the band." Then stop listening to them and shut your damn mouth.

Offline OperantChamber

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 06:14:04 PM »
Wow I really really like it.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 06:22:52 PM »
I prefer Scars on Broadway over SOAD actualleh, not too fond of Serj's solo-project yet.

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
  • Behind those eyes a world explodes.
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 06:35:12 PM »
I'm fond of the symphonic/orchestrated music of this song, but it was far too repetitive for my liking, even for Serj, who repeats things a whole lot. This one went a bit overboard. If that musical style is the rest of the album I'm all for it though.

Somehow I knew the entire time the US/Mexican border would be the last one to get taken off the map, and it was.
caw caw

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 09:06:10 PM »
Yeah, I actually liked that. :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 04:12:44 AM »
IMO, the last two SOAD albums were average due to the amount of singing Daron does.  When you've got someone as good a vocalist as Serj, I don't know why he insists on singing, as far as music goes, Daron isn't a hair on Serj's asshole.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 04:29:00 AM »
Not bad.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 04:42:09 AM »

This.

And the song is...eh. This feels even weaker than most of the weak tracks from Elect the Dead. I don't dig it.

I prefer Scars on Broadway over SOAD actualleh
WHAT. THE. FUCK.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 04:45:36 AM »
You guys wish. I love both projects. It bums me Daron hasn't toured properly yet, while Serj did his whole album with an orchestra.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bmc

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 07:29:55 AM »

This.

And the song is...eh. This feels even weaker than most of the weak tracks from Elect the Dead. I don't dig it.

I prefer Scars on Broadway over SOAD actualleh
WHAT. THE. FUCK.

hmmm the Scars on Broadway album was excellent, but not quite up to SOAD.
Quote from: SinisterMinisterX
Both "feel" longer than they are (in a good way).

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2010, 07:41:27 AM »
I think the Scars-album was pretty great, had lots of variety and great songs etc.
Even the songs i care less for are still good, meanwhile SOAD has a more mix of great-songs, and 'songs i dont care much about'.

Offline Slain

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2010, 10:36:22 AM »
SOAD's last two albums had some of my all time favorite SOAD songs, but also a lot of completely forgettable ones. Especially the ones where Daron sings exclusively

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2010, 05:13:16 AM »
SOAD's last two albums had some of my all time favorite SOAD songs, but also a lot of completely forgettable ones. Especially the ones where Daron sings exclusively

This statement is tr00!!!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2010, 05:47:04 AM »
A couple of years ago, after seeing the videos to Empty Walls and Sky Is Over, I decided to buy Elect The Dead. This is a great album. Serj is fantastic and has a Freddie Mercury like quality about him. Obviously not as talented vocally, but I found the album very original, varied, and ambitious.

On the heels of that, a guy at work made me copies of most, perhaps all, of the SOAD CDs. I must say that those are terrible, and are very restrictive for a true talent like Serj.

I will most likely get his new album. Borders Are is a pretty cool song.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2010, 01:01:04 PM »
A couple of years ago, after seeing the videos to Empty Walls and Sky Is Over, I decided to buy Elect The Dead. This is a great album. Serj is fantastic and has a Freddie Mercury like quality about him. Obviously not as talented vocally, but I found the album very original, varied, and ambitious.

On the heels of that, a guy at work made me copies of most, perhaps all, of the SOAD CDs. I must say that those are terrible, and are very restrictive for a true talent like Serj.

I will most likely get his new album. Borders Are is a pretty cool song.
While I respect your opinion TAC, there is so much fail in this post. So much.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2010, 05:07:08 PM »
Lat, where' s the fail? I'm giving huge props to the guy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2010, 09:20:21 PM »
On the heels of that, a guy at work made me copies of most, perhaps all, of the SOAD CDs. I must say that those are terrible
This is where I see fail. The rest was fine.

Offline j

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2010, 10:13:29 PM »
On the heels of that, a guy at work made me copies of most, perhaps all, of the SOAD CDs. I must say that those are terrible
This is where I see fail. The rest was fine.

I dunno...SOAD have some real gems, but a lot of shit too.  I wouldn't say all of their albums are "terrible" though. :biggrin:

-J

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2010, 10:15:12 PM »
SOAD is one of those bands I will practically bend over backwards for, so there are really only a small handful of bad songs by the band if you ask me. The ones that come to mind are Hypnotize and Lonely Day.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2010, 06:43:45 AM »
OK...perhaps "terrible" was inappropriate. So I'll take that back. But from what I've heard..and basically I've heard 4 or 5 albums all the way through only once... I find Serj's talents way above those of the band. Maybe intrumentally they are fine musicians and I do think they're pretty versatile, but when I take the body of work that I've sampled, I just find them to be the improper vehicle for the true talents that Serj can offer.

Furthermore Lat, those CDs are currently in a drawer in my basement. Is there a particular album or a collection of songs that you feel I should take a second look at?

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2010, 09:08:15 PM »
OK...perhaps "terrible" was inappropriate. So I'll take that back. But from what I've heard..and basically I've heard 4 or 5 albums all the way through only once... I find Serj's talents way above those of the band. Maybe intrumentally they are fine musicians and I do think they're pretty versatile, but when I take the body of work that I've sampled, I just find them to be the improper vehicle for the true talents that Serj can offer.

Furthermore Lat, those CDs are currently in a drawer in my basement. Is there a particular album or a collection of songs that you feel I should take a second look at?
Once again, I fully respect and understand your standing point. I disagree, but understand.

I'd give Mesmerize another honest chance. My reasons are as follows:
Personally, I don't think they have bad album, and they are all great for their own reasons (I've said the same about Tool's albums, I know). And picking a favourite album isn't necessarily an easy task. But if I had to choose which SOAD album I'd like to be trapped on a desert island with, it'd be Mesmerize. To me, Mesmerize is the highest point of the bands career. With their earlier material, you have this "untamed" beast, so to speak, called their debut album. It's wild, strange, loud and a teenage rebellion's wet dream. As they began to release albums such as Toxicity and Steal this Album! (B-sides, I know), they began to refine their song writing more and more. With Mesmerize, you have an album that combines the obscurity and hardcore influenced elements we heard from their first few releases, but with a much more fine tuned style of writing and flow within the music. The album itself just seems much more...well made. As if it really took an immense amount of time and effort to make, whereas their earlier work (While great, I'm not talking down towards their older albums at all) felt a bit more unpolished and recorded "just for the fucks sake of recording an album".

inb4 teh flames

And as for specific songs, Question!, Stealing Society, Revenga and Radio/Video are several songs I'd recommend taking a few more listens to. There are several elements within each song that I feel any music lover could easily appreciate when dissected.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2010, 04:04:42 PM »
I actually really enjoyed that song (though the lyrics were kinda meh...). Maybe it was the strings/atmosphere that did it for me, 'cause normally I'm not a big fan of SOAD or any of their solo projects.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2010, 12:55:08 PM »
How am I subscribed to his YouTube channel and haven't seen that until now?

Anyway, even if you don't like the music you gotta give Serj some credit because of how many different things he does: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpqI7hWM7QY It's more like a personal project than a side project. There are lots of people who a are better singers or pianists or composers, but it takes something to do them all.

Offline ogrejedi

• DT.net Veteran
  • Run, run or you'll be well-done!
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2010, 01:30:30 PM »
The parts where Daron sings in SOAD (like "Needles" off Toxicity) are parts that are better sung by him. I don't get why people care about this so much. Mezmerize and Hypnotize are SOAD's two best albums, IMO.

As far as this side project goes, I thought that was a great song and had a great video (something I usually don't care about).
"Who are these swine? These flag-sucking half-wits who get fleeced and fooled by stupid little rich kids like George Bush? They are the same ones who wanted to have Muhammad Ali locked up for refusing to kill gooks. They speak for all that is cruel and stupid and vicious in the American character. They are the racists and hate mongers among us; they are the Ku Klux Klan. I piss down the throats of these Nazis. And I am too old to worry about whether they like it or not. Fuck them."