3 1/2 stars
5 (22.7%)
3 stars
2 (9.1%)
2 1/2 stars or less
4 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: October 01, 2017, 01:06:16 AM

Author Topic: Classic Album Discussion #6: U2 - Achtung Baby  (Read 1461 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Classic Album Discussion #6: U2 - Achtung Baby
« on: December 20, 2011, 12:06:16 AM »
Being that the 20th anniversary edition of this classic was recently released, I thought it fitting that it be included in this classic album series I am doing here.  I know some will argue that The Joshua Tree is more of a classic, but I'd say Achtung Baby is just as much of a classic, and I think many would agree.  Besides, some bands have more than one classic album. ;)

Really, Achtung Baby is a classic by any measure.  You had the biggest band in the world at the time releasing an album that was not only a complete departure for them at the time, but had to compete with the grunge movement that had just exploded on the scene, as well as uber popular hard rock/metal bands Guns N' Roses and Metallica, yet it still managed to be a monster of an album that spawned six singles (five of which were big hits), and the majority of the album is still played by the band nowadays.  When I see them this past July, the first five songs of the show were all from this album, including my personal favorite, Until the End of the World.

Getting back to the departure it was, the world was shocked when The Fly was released as the first single, and the dancy Mysterious Ways as the second single was even more of a shock.  Here was the biggest ROCK band in the world releasing an album with songs that managed to rock, but also make you tap your foot and want to get up and dance.  When you think about the turn from rock to electronica/dance that multiple bands have done since, including Radiohead, it was U2 that set the bar by doing what they did. 

From a personal standpoint, if I had to do a U2 top 25 songs list (and it would be different from the top 50 list I did like two years ago, as my opinions of many songs have changed a lot since), six or seven songs from this record would be in the top 25, and I am someone who likes every U2 album and era (although 1987-1991 was obviously their peak era).

This is a magnificent, 5-star record that is deserving of any and all praise it gets. :tup :tup

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
Re: Classic Album Discussion #6: U2 - Achtung Baby
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 12:20:26 AM »
This album has three awesome songs: The Fly, Mysterious Ways, and One. Some of the other tracks don't do anything for me, but maybe I should give it another listen.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 12:23:23 AM »
Really cool album, and quite possibly my favorite of theirs (it's a close call, though, either way).

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 01:08:03 AM »
This would be neck in neck with War for my favourite U2 album, with Joshua Tree in behind those.

This album's refreshingly different than the albums that came before it, as good as those were; it's probably their most consistently good album; and the stretch of songs in the middle of the album, from Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses to Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World, is probably the best they ever managed. The only one that really offers it any competition is the first half of The Joshua Tree.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 02:03:23 AM »
Good album, though I put it behind War and Joshua Tree.  Gave it 4 stars.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 02:27:15 AM »
One of my alltime favorite albums. The diversity is deep.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 05:50:34 AM »
A sonic masterpiece.  Creat hooks and melodies all over this album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 07:37:13 AM »
Was never a big fan of this one.  Has a couple of good tracks, but as a whole, I wasn't a big fan of the direction they went.  Then again, I was never a HUGE U2 fan to begin with.

huh, just noticed it was released on my own 20th birthday.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 11:50:56 AM »
....has not aged well for me.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 11:12:42 AM »
This album has three awesome songs: The Fly, Mysterious Ways, and One. Some of the other tracks don't do anything for me, but maybe I should give it another listen.

And Ultravioiet !  :omg:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 01:21:49 PM »

And Ultravioiet !  :omg:

Damn right.  Until the End of the World and Ultraviolet (Light My Way) are both undoubtedly top 5 U2 songs in my book (along with All I Want Is You, Bad and probably Where the Streets Have No Name).  :tup :tup

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 06:29:07 PM »
I'm going for a huge bump on this one, but I really freaking love this record.  It is a masterpiece, and in my opinion, probably the best and most complete effort from U2.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 09:09:04 AM »
Agreed.  This album is simply perfect. :hat

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 12:04:56 PM »
5 stars. It's my second favorite U2 album.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 12:06:01 PM »
Only The Joshua Tree tops this for me.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 06:06:11 PM »
How does everyone feel about " All That You Can't Leave Behind " ?

I thought it was brilliant after " Pop " and I still really love it despite the sterile production.

"...Atomic Bomb " had much nicer production but less great songs.

The last three albums have all had the one dull number like Grace or One Step Closer or White As Snow.