Author Topic: Kamelot to release new album "Poetry For The Poisoned" in September (updated)  (Read 25505 times)

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
Re: Kamelot to release new album "Poetry For The Poisoned" in September (updated)
« Reply #175 on: September 15, 2010, 06:16:13 PM »
God. I know its jumping it up ten notches, but my heart would break if it turned out he has MS or something. It is simply unimaginable.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 08:02:04 PM by MykeHavoc »

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Kamelot to release new album "Poetry For The Poisoned" in September (updated)
« Reply #176 on: September 15, 2010, 08:47:13 PM »
I have a cousin who once knew a girl who's best friends ex boyfriend once talked to a girl who banged a guy from Norway, and HE said that Roy has aids.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #177 on: September 16, 2010, 06:27:59 PM »
 :lol

It's sad, but that was the first thing that popped into my head.
I know nothing of Roy's sexuality either (not saying straight men don't get AIDS, but, ya know...)

Offline Adami

« Reply #178 on: September 16, 2010, 07:40:08 PM »

It's sad, but that was the first thing that popped into my head.
I know nothing of Roy's sexuality either (not saying straight men don't get AIDS, but, ya know...)

Wait you ACTUALLY thought he has aids? Roy is immune to aids. Duh.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #179 on: September 16, 2010, 07:52:41 PM »

You guys gotta stop. You're killing me.

In response: I can only hope so. And I hope he's immune to MS...and tingly toes.

Offline Adami

« Reply #180 on: September 16, 2010, 08:01:29 PM »

In response: I can only hope so. And I hope he's immune to MS...and tingly toes.

If I recall correctly, some time ago Simone Simmons became very will and had to sit out Epicas N. American tour. She got better though and they're fine. I can only hope the same happens with Kamelot and Ricardo.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Kosmo

« Reply #181 on: September 17, 2010, 11:11:39 AM »
Yeah...

I pre-ordered the album a few weeks before it came out, it's now a week since the release and i still don't have the album.  :facepalm: The postal rocket scientists or whoever is in charge sent the package to some small town, i live in Helsinki so go figure.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #182 on: September 17, 2010, 11:32:32 AM »

If I recall correctly, some time ago Simone Simmons became very will and had to sit out Epicas N. American tour. She got better though and they're fine. I can only hope the same happens with Kamelot and Ricardo.

Good analogy...but who the hell is Ricardo? :lol

At first I thought it was Roy's real name...but it's listed as Roy Sætre Khantatat.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #183 on: September 17, 2010, 11:34:06 AM »
Wait. I just got it :P

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #184 on: September 17, 2010, 06:05:08 PM »
I don't even know what the hell this means. Damn translation:

https://www.bravewords.com/news/146639

After the canceled North American tour, there has been much theorizing, but little hard facts surrounding the last minute decision by Roy Khan to return to Norway for "medical treatment." In an interview last week with the Norwegian daily newspaper, Østlendingen, the KAMELOT singer opened up about his condition, a hasty English translation follows:

Broke down right before the tour started...

The vocalist of famous metal band Kamelot, Roy Sætre Khantatat from Elverum, is reported sick after a breakdown just before the start of the North American tour, and has decided to postpone the tour that would have started on Wednesday. "I am burned out, pure and simple. A breakdown a couple of weeks ago gave me a serious indication that something was wrong. Now I'm just glad and relieved that I got to the doctor," says an honest Roy Sætre Khantatat to Østlendingen. Khan, as he's also known, says that he's been going completely "offline" lately. "I haven't had the energy to check either my cell phone or my mail. It's been difficult to keep up with my own and other people's expectations of me," he explains.

Much uncertainty...

There has been a lot back and forth lately regarding Kamelot's planned North American tour after the band's frontman and vocalist, Roy Sætre Khantatat, became ill. First the plan was to continue the tour with the help of CIRCUS MAXIMUS vocalist Michael Eriksen. But on Tuesday this week came reports that the band had changed their minds. "No. Now, I haven't talked much about that either, except supporting myself on my family. This whole thing is feeling very real. I need this break."

Resting in Elverum...

The future is something Khan hasn't thought very much about. "Most things has really been about getting back on my feet again, but I want to get back to Kamelot," he says. The metal singer says he wants to spend time around his hometown as part of the restoration process. "I want to be around my family, my home region and the mountains," says Khan.

Offline Adami

« Reply #185 on: September 17, 2010, 06:10:32 PM »
Oh, so it's psychological. Well, that's good I guess?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
M. Night Khantatat
« Reply #186 on: September 17, 2010, 06:15:57 PM »
Do think Mike Portnoy had anything to do with Khan's decision? :neverusethis:

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #187 on: September 17, 2010, 06:58:04 PM »

I was thinking the same thing.

I honestly don't know. I jut don't understand why he waited until a week before the tour. So many people lost money on this, and the management is probably throwing a fit, not to mention the poor openers who had to try to salvage the trip by re-booking a lot of the shows themselves just to earn enough to make it back home.
I suffer from psychological issues and understand the effects of a mental breakdown, but, this seems so...random. A bit selfish, and foolish.  hope that something more in English comes out to help clarify. Also, I hope this isn't one of those long-term anxiety things. Some people pull through with those as far as performers go (Tom Hunting from Exodus being an example) but then we of course get the people that don't recover so quickly. I do wonder if this is a prolonged thing. He always seemed to calm and collected on stage.

Offline Adami

« Reply #188 on: September 17, 2010, 07:03:40 PM »
Breakdowns can't be predicted really, it may have just been that random. It happens.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
A bit late to the party, but the title track is one of the best things they've ever written...but damn, it's squished - it could easily be 15 minutes. Why not Kamelot?

House on a Hill is probably my favourite apart from it, but I haven't digested the album properly yet.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
Thomas was interviewed a few days back and stated that he hasn't talked to Roy in a bit. He said that if Roy isn't well by their future scheduled dates, they will find someone to fill-in. That is not all that positive :-\
I truly hope this doesn't mark the end of one of the best bands ever, because if Roy is gone, I positively say that without him, I have no interest. He makes the band. I'm not one to usually do that, as many of my favorite bands have gone through front-men, but this band needs him. He IS the appeal. I mean, I'd try to give anyone a chance, but I just don't see it working.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm having trouble getting this son of a bitch.  Not in stores and have orderd it online.  THe status of it at the moment is 'backorder'  :facepalm:
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
New interview with Youngblood.

https://www.bravewords.com/features/1000830

https://www.bravewords.com/news/148041

Here's an interesting quote.

“We sent the text to Jon with the basic melody and he put his signature style on the phrasing. He’s such a cool guy. Having him on that song is surreal for me because I grew up watching Avatar, which of course became Savatage. We actually did a festival not too long ago with Jon Oliva’s Pain and we were headlining, which was weird (laughs). But that’s just the way the business part of this goes.”

“It’s very cool having Jon on the album, and it was actually a last minute thing where I thought ‘Hey, maybe I should ask Jon Oliva to do this…’ because the melody in the second verse just reminded me so much of Savatage. On the other hand, Roy didn’t grow up with Savatage as a kid – I think he was more of a Queensryche / A-Ha kind of guy as a kid – so it really was a fit of inspiration.”

LOL, wut??

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
TAKE ON ME

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
TAKE ON ME

Hunting High and Low was a great one too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I finally received this in the mail today.  I'm listening to it for the first time right now.  I'm only half way through, but so this is is an absolute boring piece of shit.  Man, this is disappointing.  Why can't I hear the guitars??  It sounds so poppy and light, no balls or powah what so ever!

I will listen more before I make my final judgment.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
its hardly boring :P

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
Give it time Wolf. It's a grower. It certainly has moments that creep into your subconscious without you even noticing.

Offline GuineaPig

This album is great.  
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Adami

It's definetly a grower. I didn't care for much of it at first, but I'm liking it more and more each listen.

I only have 3 major complaints at the moment.

1. Khans vocals are kind of lackluster.
2. The guest vocalists (mostly simone at the screaming guy) are burried WAY too low in the mix.
3. The whole "main riff, pause, slower verse" format is getting annoying.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Alright, I know I jumped the gun.  I'll listen to it again tonight with an open mind.  I agree with Adami that Khan's vocals are really plain, you can tell and hear how tired he is.  The mix I don't care for, but I will give it time.

Offline Adami

One major change I did notice is the drums. It seems they stopped strictly using Casey as a metronome. He did some really cool things on this album.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline GuineaPig

I've concluded that Poetry/i] is better than Epica.  I think I'd slide most of my selections in my top 50 from this album up 5-10 slots, and add every song that didn't make the cut except for "If Tomorrow Came."  Also I'd move "The Zodiac" way up, into 3rd slot.  What an awesome song.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Adami

Zodiacs ok. Just a bit short and doesn't develop....much at all.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
I do love me some Zodiac, that's for sure. I find myself humming that tune all damn day.

Offline NecessaryPain

I think this is quite a disappointing addition to Kamelot's discography.

I consider Ghost Opera, The Black Halo, Epica, Fourth Legacy to be much better albums.

Khan sounds poor and there's only one or two decent songs.

A big letdown as far as i'm concerned.
Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
Overall, I agree, it's a let down. Ghost Opera was a step down from Black Halo, and now again we have a further step down in overall quality. Neither record it awful, but it's far from the greatness they were able to put out only 5 or 6 years ago.

I rank'em like this:

Black Halo
Fourth Legacy
Epica
Poetry (for now)
Seige Perilous

I don't really like the second album and don't even own the first.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 02:32:44 PM by MykeHavoc »

Offline Adami

I think this album is WAY better than Ghost Opera. But not as good as Black Halo or Epica.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I've concluded that Poetry/i] is better than Epica.

:lol wut?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Alright, I've given it a couple more listens, it's still average, but I am warming to it.  I'm not sure if I'll keep warming to it though.  A lot of the songs just don't seem to do anything, and a lot of them just fade out giving you the impression the band are out of ideas and need to finish the song.  The Great Pandemonium and Once Upon a Time are the best songs.  Once Upon a Time is amazing, Khan's vocal melody in the chorus is one of the best things they have ever done.  If only the rest of the album were like this song.  It's the only one that reminds me of old Kamelot.