Author Topic: Kamelot to release new album "Poetry For The Poisoned" in September (updated)  (Read 25512 times)

Offline InTheNameOfGod

• PoS>All
Re: Kamelot to release new album "Poetry For The Poisoned" in September (updated)
« Reply #140 on: September 04, 2010, 07:02:44 AM »
I actually think Ghost Opera is a better album at this point.

Too many songs sound similar. Title track should have been either one-long song, or broken down into longer parts. If Tomorrow Came, House On A Hill and My Train Of Thoughts do absolutely nothing for me.

The Great Pandemonium, Zodiac, Hunter's Season and Necropolis are the best songs IMO.

One thing is for sure - it's no way near as good as The Black Halo or Epica.
Currently listening to:

Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here *****
Kamelot - Poetry For The Poisoned **
Les Discrets - Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées ***1/2
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing *****
Symphony X - The Odyssey ****1/2

Sweat, skin, a pulse divine to balance this restless mind.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Kamelot to release new album "Poetry For The Poisoned" in September (updated)
« Reply #141 on: September 04, 2010, 07:39:06 AM »
GOD DAMNIT!

ROY ISN'T DOING THE NORTH AMERICAN TOUR, SOME FRUIT FROM SOME BAND CALLED CIRCUS MAXIMUS IS FILLING IN!

GOD DAMN EVERYONE! HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Damn, that sucks. Roy is the main reason that the band is so awesome live :/.

Offline InTheNameOfGod

• PoS>All
« Reply #142 on: September 08, 2010, 12:51:04 PM »
It has to be said. Khan sounds poor on this album.

I think this is by far the weakest album in Kamelot's discography, and makes me wonder whether they have the ability to produce another Epica or The Black Halo.

Very disappointing, IMO.
Currently listening to:

Offline In The Wake Of Poseidon

« Reply #143 on: September 08, 2010, 01:01:43 PM »
This album is far better then Epica.

Offline InTheNameOfGod

• PoS>All
« Reply #144 on: September 08, 2010, 01:18:22 PM »
This album is far better then Epica.

I fail to see how that is even remotely possible.

This album is boring, bar one or two decent songs.
Currently listening to:

« Reply #145 on: September 08, 2010, 01:23:42 PM »
Opinions, how do they work?

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Kamelot to release new album "Poetry For The Poisoned" in September (updated
« Reply #146 on: September 08, 2010, 01:29:28 PM »
why would you want another epica or black halo?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline InTheNameOfGod

• PoS>All
« Reply #147 on: September 08, 2010, 01:48:41 PM »

You need to justify your opinion. I have given atleast brief reasons as to why I think the album is below par.

why would you want another epica or black halo?

I don't. I mean in comparison to the quality of Epica and TBH, this album is poor. It's not what I waited 3 years for, put it that way.

Nothing new here.
Currently listening to:

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #148 on: September 08, 2010, 02:17:54 PM »

You need to justify your opinion. I have given atleast brief reasons as to why I think the album is below par.
No you didn't. You commented very briefly on the vocals, even then with no further explanation, and that was it. And besides, why does someone have to explain why they like something?

Plus, I can't remember you ever saying that you LIKED a new album by a band you already listen to. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

« Reply #150 on: September 08, 2010, 02:34:45 PM »
Epica, more like generica

get it

That's my justification.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Kamelot to release new album "Poetry For The Poisoned" in September (updated
« Reply #151 on: September 08, 2010, 03:11:11 PM »
This album lacks emotion, sort of like Ghost Opera except Khan sounded awesome on Ghost Opera, he does not sound nearly as good on the new album.  The album has its songs, but I would rate it as thier worst since Khan joined the band.  I wonder if this has anything to do with his sickness and the fact it took forever to get this album made.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Disappointed!
« Reply #152 on: September 08, 2010, 04:15:22 PM »
Why are all my favorite bands taking a shit?! Well, except Blind Guardian. They redeemed themselves.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Photobucket sucks.

Offline InTheNameOfGod

• PoS>All
« Reply #154 on: September 08, 2010, 05:34:49 PM »
Quote from: ariich
Plus, I can't remember you ever saying that you LIKED a new album by a band you already listen to. :lol

What on earth are you talking about?

What's the point in jumping in a thread saying 'it's better than epica' and then not backing it up with your opinion as to why? To me, that contradicts the whole point of a forum, and is merely spam in my eyes.

I have no problem with anyone disagreeing with me, just give your reasons.
Currently listening to:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Disappointed!
« Reply #155 on: September 09, 2010, 02:28:21 PM »
Why are all my favorite bands taking a shit?! Well, except Blind Guardian. They redeemed themselves.

Wow, this exactly.  Ive been thinking this for the past month or so.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #156 on: September 10, 2010, 05:18:21 AM »
I see Poetry get a lot of shit, but I've given it time to sink in and I still really, really like it. 3-4 tracks I consider skippable, but the rest range from great to amazing in my opinion. I'd count Hunter's Season, So Long, The Zodiac and Thespian Drama among Kamelot's best songs.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: September 11, 2010, 12:54:40 PM »
Thespian Drama is a really cool instumental, but technically a bonus track. They shoulf have mixed that into the middle of the album to add more awesomeness to it.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #158 on: September 11, 2010, 02:30:08 PM »
.....OR they should have made The Great Pandemonium an epic and put it in the middle of it.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #159 on: September 11, 2010, 07:28:59 PM »
.....OR they should have made The Great Pandemonium an epic and put it in the middle of it.

Ew no.

They should have made My Train Of Thoughts or If Tomorrow Comes the bonus track and put Thespian Drama on the actual album.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #160 on: September 13, 2010, 09:10:43 AM »
Looking forward to some ProgPower videos popping up soon so we can see how this Circus Maximus fellow sized up.

Till then, here's some tasty jam footage!

https://www.bravewords.com/news/146238

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: September 13, 2010, 10:20:18 AM »
Im interested in thier set so I know what could have been...

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #162 on: September 14, 2010, 02:42:06 PM »
Alright, the record is out now. Listening to it now. I am in absorbing mode. No opinions as of yet.

I would like to do a top 25 list. Did we have one already? I seem to vaguely remember one.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #163 on: September 14, 2010, 03:59:36 PM »
I did a top 50.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #164 on: September 14, 2010, 06:07:44 PM »
Any chance you will revise it? Would anything off the new album rank for you?

I'm kinda bummed after a few listens. Not very much jumps out at me...Might take a bit for it to grow on me.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #165 on: September 14, 2010, 07:25:07 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking about revising it.  I might go through it again in the next few days and go through my list; but I'll only add new reviews for the new songs.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #166 on: September 14, 2010, 11:29:28 PM »
Sounds good.

What the fuck is with the mix on this album? There are almost no guitars. The layered vocals are all out of whack. This is terrible sound in comparison to pretty much every other record they have put out.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #167 on: September 14, 2010, 11:34:26 PM »
I was never the biggest fan of Miro and whoever else they have mixing their albums. They're not bad, but they lack the crispness of metal. They REALLY know how to produce vocals and the keys in songs, but the drums are usually lame and the guitars are horrible. Kamelot and now Epica are getting the best of their mixes, rhapsody still suffers a lot.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #168 on: September 14, 2010, 11:52:46 PM »
I never noticed anything that genuinely upset me on any previous record like this does. Perhaps I have it under a microscope at the moment and over time it won't bug me so much.

And Khan sounds really restrained on this. None of his vocals are really out there as far as range. Not an issue, as hooks are my only concern, not so much how high someone can sing. But he almost sounds like he's losing range at certain areas.
Probably just paranoia, but I wonder what his sickness is and if it has been a prolonged thing; if maybe it has affected his ability to sing.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #169 on: September 15, 2010, 12:10:30 AM »
Well I think Amazon shipped the album, so I'll hopefully be getting it soon.

I don't care if Roy goes super high, he has already impressed me a great deal, he can worry about melody instead (like he hasn't in the past, haha). But I'm still looking forward to it, I'll talk about how horrible everything is when I get it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #170 on: September 15, 2010, 08:11:56 AM »
Damnit i'm stuck in Australia for another week then New Zealand and I want all my new albums and dvds and stuff. Everything came out in September. I had to miss the Steven Wilson dvd premier too.

back on-topic: To be fair, epica toured without Simone and they were still awesome.

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: September 15, 2010, 09:56:11 AM »
I was in the record store today and picked up the album. I wasn't too impressed on first listen (sometime last week) but I'm sure that it will grow on me.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #172 on: September 15, 2010, 09:58:51 AM »
The most depressing thought came to me while listening: I long for Ghost Opera :lol

It's kinda sinking in now to be honest. I think Necropolis is my favorite track. Hunter's Season is good as well. Great Pandemonium, the single, is a bit of a highlight but it still feels kinda second tier to me. The guest appearances are neat too.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: September 15, 2010, 11:41:21 AM »
So I've listened to the album a bunch of times now and I still think it ranks pretty low for Kamelot albums.  Only a few songs are really good, the rest is just .... I really don't know, just there isn't much to say.  This is easily Khans worst vocals, but I do think there are some really good guitar solos.  My favorite tracks:

Hunter's Season
Seal of Woven Years
So Long
Once Upon A Time
Thespian Drama

Didnt want to double post, but I just found this while strolling through the interwebs from the progpower forums:

https://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/progpower-usa/624349-roy-khans-condition.html

This poster says, and admits it may not be true, that Roy has a neurologic disorder that could be life threatening.  I really hope this is not true.  I've only listened to Kamelot for a year or two and they became a band I really love due to Roy's amazing vocals.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 12:01:23 PM by cramx3 »

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: September 15, 2010, 04:06:50 PM »
 :|

I hope he will be fine. He seems like a truly awesome guy and it is amazing to see him perform.