Author Topic: Kamelot to release new album "Poetry For The Poisoned" in September (updated)  (Read 25513 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Ill have to remember to check out the samples when I get home, glad to see positive reviews so far. Im pumped for September 15Th.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
Rambling first listen impressions without giving away details on what the songs sound like:

First two songs, The Great Pandemonium and If Tomorrow Came, bored me. Starting with The Zodiac (though many may not like that song, I'm a Jon Oliva fanboy and love this track), things get vastly better. Hunter's Season is better than anything on Ghost Opera and one of my favorites from the album. House On A Hill is the obligatory power ballad feat. Simone Simons with a cool guitar solo and a nice flamenco guitar outro; if people like The Haunting and Love You To Death, they'll like this. Necropolis has plenty of cool sections, but didn't really grab me otherwise. My Train Of Thoughts is very solid, but nothing special. Seal Of Woven Years... I'm not sure how I feel yet, it's a lot different than a lot of their work, and I won't be able to accurately judge it until I've heard it multiple times, but I definitely like parts of it, particularly the solo towards the end.

The title track(s) is one of the best things they have ever done, as expected, and the highlight of the album. Not sure why they split it, it wouldn't be over ten minutes combined, and it feels a lot shorter than it actually is.

Once Upon A Time, the closer, slays, and is actually pretty energetic -- making it very refreshing, as a lack of energy is what made Ghost Opera and a small handful of the lesser tracks on this album so dull. Another one of my favorites. Thespian Drama, the Japanese bonus track, is a four minute instrumental that is absolutely great (aside from a keyboard solo that feels out of place) and has some of Thomas Youngblood and Oliver Palotai's best work -- it may be one of my favorite Kamelot songs.

I give the album a solid 7.5-8/10, though I feel the rating will rise upon further listens.

Final verdict: A lot fuckin' better than Ghost Opera.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Kamelot to release new album "Poetry For The Poisoned" in September (updated)
« Reply #107 on: September 01, 2010, 04:14:41 AM »
Final verdict: A lot fuckin' better than Ghost Opera.

That's all I need to know.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Kamelot to release new album "Poetry For The Poisoned" in September (updated)
« Reply #108 on: September 01, 2010, 01:43:38 PM »
Listening to it right now  :metal. Only on the second track though. Unlike Arcaeus I liked 'The Great Pandemonium' but I have to agree that the second track is kinda boring.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #109 on: September 01, 2010, 03:53:24 PM »
Ok, so I just saw the video for The Great Pandemonium.

Two thumbs up, I gotta say. I love the darker feeling, but at least this song (unlike most of GO) had tons of energy to it and was relentlessy agressive. The melodies are  great, khans high operatic voice is great behind the heavy stuff and the guest singer dude was cool, although shagrath would have been cooler. The video was insane as well, definetly one of the better videos for this style of music.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #110 on: September 01, 2010, 07:33:05 PM »
https://video.aol.com/aolvideo/aol-music/the-great-pandemonium/600325181001

For those curious. I like it. It will take some time and a few listens to absorb. Some interesting stuff going on in the song rhythmically.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #111 on: September 01, 2010, 07:34:29 PM »
The Great Pandemonium is growing on me, but it's still in my bottom half for the album, I think.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: September 02, 2010, 02:50:40 AM »
I really enjoyed the song and clip on first listen.  Probably one of the best metal vids that has come out for quite a while.  Loved the heaviness, really loved the harsh vocals and Youngblood's solo was excellent.  Good to see him shredding it up, I feel on Ghost Opera his work was very plain and uninspiring, this is a great step up.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: September 02, 2010, 05:29:55 AM »
and the guest singer dude was cool, although shagrath would have been cooler.

That's Bjorn Speed Strid from the great Soilwork.

Offline InTheNameOfGod

• PoS>All
« Reply #114 on: September 02, 2010, 06:28:04 AM »
Getting into it a lot more now. Didn't really enjoy it at first, but it's getting better with each listen.  :metal

I don't know what all the hate for Ghost Opera is all about. Minus one or two songs, I thought it was a pretty damn good album.

Love You To Death  :heart
Currently listening to:

Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here *****
Kamelot - Poetry For The Poisoned **
Les Discrets - Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées ***1/2
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing *****
Symphony X - The Odyssey ****1/2

Sweat, skin, a pulse divine to balance this restless mind.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: September 02, 2010, 07:03:27 AM »
Getting into it a lot more now. Didn't really enjoy it at first, but it's getting better with each listen.  :metal

I don't know what all the hate for Ghost Opera is all about. Minus one or two songs, I thought it was a pretty damn good album.

Love You To Death  :heart

It certainly wasn't awful, it's just really average, especially by Kamelot standards.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #116 on: September 02, 2010, 09:24:42 AM »
Love You to Death would have been such a good song if it weren't for the awkward phrasing.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #117 on: September 02, 2010, 09:38:13 AM »
I like Ghost Opera just fine. It has some real good songs. But there's no denying that it was a step down as far a quality. That's fine. Its hard to top what will likely go down as their best work. But everything I've heard so far from this record seems like a step in the right direction. I'm looking forward to picking this up and hanging out with the band in a few weeks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: September 02, 2010, 02:40:36 PM »
Quite dissapointed with The Great Pandemonium.  Granted it was only one listen, but I would have rather a GO sounding song that the darker type of song we got.  I really didnt like the other vocals.

Offline InTheNameOfGod

• PoS>All
« Reply #119 on: September 02, 2010, 02:55:28 PM »
Quite dissapointed with The Great Pandemonium.  Granted it was only one listen, but I would have rather a GO sounding song that the darker type of song we got.  I really didnt like the other vocals.

I'm enjoying it a lot more after repeated spins.

Maybe it will be the same for you too.
Currently listening to:

Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here *****
Kamelot - Poetry For The Poisoned **
Les Discrets - Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées ***1/2
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing *****
Symphony X - The Odyssey ****1/2

Sweat, skin, a pulse divine to balance this restless mind.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #120 on: September 02, 2010, 03:26:47 PM »
Pt. III All Is Over's intro reminds me of War Inside My Head.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #121 on: September 03, 2010, 03:19:25 AM »
I don't hear that at all, really.

And regardless it's a much better song :neverusethis:

Offline In The Wake Of Poseidon

« Reply #122 on: September 03, 2010, 03:21:41 AM »
All I know is that So Long might be their best song.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #123 on: September 03, 2010, 03:23:59 AM »
Definitely top 10, Khan, Simone and Amanda kick all kinds of ass on that song

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #124 on: September 03, 2010, 06:04:16 AM »
"Poetry for the Poisoned" has about enough ideas to be like a 12-14 minute song.  It feels really constrained, and really, bursting as it is.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: September 03, 2010, 10:46:33 AM »
The second half of this album kicks the first halfs ass big time.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #126 on: September 03, 2010, 06:49:01 PM »
The Great Pandemonium reminds me of The Black Halo a little, which is good, because The Black Halo is fucking awesome.

Also, due to the whole release date thing I feel as though this thread is the only place where I can say "Gee, I wish I lived in Japan" without sounding like a huge weeaboo.

...my name is Araragi.

Online Adami

« Reply #127 on: September 03, 2010, 10:34:46 PM »
GOD DAMNIT!

ROY ISN'T DOING THE NORTH AMERICAN TOUR, SOME FRUIT FROM SOME BAND CALLED CIRCUS MAXIMUS IS FILLING IN!

GOD DAMN EVERYONE! HAPPY NEW YEAR!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #128 on: September 03, 2010, 10:38:20 PM »
GOD DAMNIT!

ROY ISN'T DOING THE NORTH AMERICAN TOUR, SOME FRUIT FROM SOME BAND CALLED CIRCUS MAXIMUS IS FILLING IN!

GOD DAMN EVERYONE! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

FUCK

FUCKING FUCK

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
toe jam
« Reply #129 on: September 03, 2010, 10:49:37 PM »
That's sucks yet it's awesome at the same time.

Online Adami

Re: toe jam
« Reply #130 on: September 03, 2010, 10:53:34 PM »
That's sucks yet it's awesome at the same time.

You know what sucks about it? The god damn vocalist that made Kamelot what they are isn't going to be there.

You know what's awesome about it? God damn nothing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #131 on: September 04, 2010, 12:20:27 AM »
Yeah, this literally ruined my month.

Khan is what makes the band leaps and bounds better then other bands in a similar vain. Without him, it really feels like a great deal of the magic is lost. My excitement level has plummeted to a 0. I had the intent to get the new record to know all the new tracks...now I don't even know if I care. My buddies band is opening the Worcester show, so I was gonna roadie and hopefully hang out with the bands and such. Now I'm just...gah...I'm truly bummed out.

Online Adami

« Reply #132 on: September 04, 2010, 12:23:03 AM »
Well I obviously will still get the new album, but I dunno if I'm gonna see them. Well I guess I will, cause I paid 100 bucks for the ticket and backstage pass. But, jesus I'll get to meet 2 members of kamelot, some new odd looking bassist, the douchebag keyboardist who gets to put his german army helmet into Simone Simons, and some dude I don't give a cocks foreskin about.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #133 on: September 04, 2010, 12:24:45 AM »
Sean the bassist is awesome. He's been playing with off and on for like 4 or 5 years since Glenn was bailing a lot since the Black Halo tour. I saw them with him and he's a solid player and a great personality to have on stage. You can tell he really loves his job.

I also got a bad vibe reading the info. No one has clarified what "illness" he has. If he is actually sick, it must be severe, so that worries me. If he isn't sick and this is a cover story to hide that there may be some internal issues, then I'm even more upset. I hope I'm just paranoid and that he'll be back soon. But I really don't wanna wait another fucking 3 years to see the guy.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #134 on: September 04, 2010, 12:26:44 AM »
Sean, the "new" bassist, was one of the founding members of the band. :lol and yeah, he has a great presence on stage. I think I prefer him to Glenn, though I never saw Kamelot live with Glenn present he always seemed to be just "there".

But yeah, not seeing Kamelot live this tour, I don't mind the Circus Maximus vocalist but I don't like him one bit either.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #135 on: September 04, 2010, 12:28:34 AM »
Yeah but he wasn't on any albums.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #136 on: September 04, 2010, 12:30:08 AM »
Oh, I thought he was on the first two with Vanderbilt on vocals, but you're right.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #137 on: September 04, 2010, 12:32:47 AM »
boo hiss on Roy getting sick. I had planned to go to the NYC show, but now I think I'll just wait for next time they tour around here
Photobucket sucks.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: September 04, 2010, 05:11:23 AM »
That's bad news.  Hope Roy is okay.

On another note, I am the only one that hates Oliver!!??  I hate this guy.  The way he talks makes me want to punch him in the face, and his snobbish attitude with his "I am a classical musician" way of thinking and talking pisses me off.  I was dissapointed when Kamelot made him a permanent member and why Simone would fuck this guy is beyond me, she could easily have her pick of guys.

/end skitzo rant.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 05:28:30 AM by wolfking »

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Call the wambulance
« Reply #139 on: September 04, 2010, 05:33:32 AM »
I like Michael Eriksen and think he's a fine replacement and even sounds like Khan at times (beginning of A Darkened Mind). I hope Khan gets better as he make up a great deal of the magic of Kamelot but since I've already seen them live, I wouldn't mind seeing them with Michael. They aren't coming to AZ anyway though so it doesn't matter...