Author Topic: Chroma Key  (Read 87114 times)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: Chroma Key
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2011, 06:59:06 PM »
Shine is really beautiful, but it's apparently sold out.  Hopefully, it goes on sale again at some point.  DAFR is pure magic to me.  The first five songs on that disc are just amazing. 

Wow!

Shine sold out? That's awesome!

How many copies were pressed?

I have to admit I haven't listened to this much over the last few months as it's a lot more subtle than most of his work. I find I really have to pay attention whenever I'm listening as it's a very quiet listening experience.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2011, 07:52:28 PM »
Yeah, I signed up on the website to get an email when more come in stock. You'd think he'd release it digitally...
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2012, 07:30:17 AM »
I decided to give both Dead Air for Radios and You Go Now a listen (actually more than just one!) and I'm impressed! :hefdaddy DAFR is a masterpiece and YGN has some really nice atmospheric stuff as well but I prefer DAFR for its more organic songs and bigger amount of vocals. Kevin is not technically a great singer but he has lots of emotion in his voice on the early songs, something that's missing in OSI.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2012, 09:04:27 AM »
Great cover version of Chroma Key's "Colorblind" posted online yesterday by a South Korea-based progressive electronic band called Pinnochio's Moment of Clarity...

https://soundcloud.com/pmoc/colorblind

An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2012, 12:49:50 PM »
Damn, when I clicked on the thread I thought there would be actual CK news, even though I know that was not likely.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2012, 12:53:04 PM »
Damn, when I clicked on the thread I thought there would be actual CK news, even though I know that was not likely.

It's a common sickness. You suddenly light up and then... depression. It happened to me and many others here with the Indiscipline Images And Words thread. Did you happen to read that, by chance?
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2012, 01:12:43 PM »
It's a common sickness. You suddenly light up and then... depression. It happened to me and many others here with the Indiscipline Images And Words thread. Did you happen to read that, by chance?
I didn't exactly light up, but I kind of unexpectedly expected to be surprised and then I saw the world has no extraordinary surprises in store for me. Not that bands covering KM's post DT material aren't nice. Yup, I did. Wish I had a story like that to tell.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2012, 01:49:13 PM »
And speak of the devil, whoever operates Kev's facebook page just posted a video of kids covering Pull Me Under. THE PAGE IS ALIVE AGAIN FOLKS.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2012, 09:16:28 AM »
I just posted some Kevin Moore news on The Mooreatorium.  See below:

Dec. 20, 2012 - Moore to appear as guest keyboardist on upcoming album by Amadeus Awad

It's time to add yet another guest appearance to Kevin Moore's growing resume.

Beirut-based progressive metal band Amadeus Awad announced last week that Moore has collaborated as a guest keyboardist on the band's upcoming album, The Book of Gates.

"We are very proud to unveil the name of the first international artist collaborating with us on The Book Of Gates," the band said last week on Facebook.  "The man behind the keyboard mastery of the first three Dream Theater albums: When Dreams and Day Unite, Images and Words and Awake.  The mastermind of the prog rock project OSI: Mr. Kevin Moore."

In a separate post, Amadeus Awad described The Book of Gates as a tale of a union separated by an abyss of psychological turbulence and the alliance of opposites with four characters – The Pharaoh, the Queen, the Necromancer, and the Keeper of the Gates – that travel through the fabrics of life and death's epiphanies.  The story also involves a quest for immortality, dictated by false doctrines and promises of lying priests, that places a huge political burden on the reign of the pharaohs.

"The writing of The Book Of Gates started as a collaborative work between the band members, resulting in a heavy progressive album with oriental elements never heard before," the band said.  "Heavier sound, mighty production and huge international names mark the start of the band's new age, a new EON."

For more information on Amadeus Awad, visit the band on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amadeus.awad.band
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2012, 10:26:05 AM »
Most of his guest spots are things I would never expect of him! :biggrin: It's all good, more Kevin makes me a happy panda anyway.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2012, 08:03:08 AM »
I just heard one of the songs from the upcoming album of Amadeus Awad.  Not sure if it's a track that Kevin played on.  But wow, it's extremely impressive.  It was a very winding progressive metal tune with piano and guitar that kind of reminded me of something from the middle of Fates Warning's A Pleasant Shade of Gray.  I'm definitely looking forward to hearing more. 

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2012, 08:13:38 AM »
I just heard one of the songs from the upcoming album of Amadeus Awad.  Not sure if it's a track that Kevin played on.  But wow, it's extremely impressive.  It was a very winding progressive metal tune with piano and guitar that kind of reminded me of something from the middle of Fates Warning's A Pleasant Shade of Gray.  I'm definitely looking forward to hearing more.

Is it legally available on the internet? I may not be disappointed in giving it a chance, considering your small review :)
- Marco

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2012, 10:08:06 AM »
I just heard one of the songs from the upcoming album of Amadeus Awad.  Not sure if it's a track that Kevin played on.  But wow, it's extremely impressive. It was a very winding progressive metal tune with piano and guitar that kind of reminded me of something from the middle of Fates Warning's A Pleasant Shade of Gray.  I'm definitely looking forward to hearing more.
I recently heard APSOG for the first time and Kev's work in the middle of the album completely spellblinded me. I can definitely discern the small touches he added to Jim's existing keyboard blueprints, or at least I think I can, which is the same thing :lol

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2013, 08:02:03 PM »
The other guest on that album is Timo Tolkki. Well that's fucking weird :lol

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: January 04, 2013, 01:59:39 PM »
Hey, everyone!  Just posted another piece of Kevin Moore news on The Mooreatorium:

Jan. 4, 2013 - Chaos Venture posts video trailer of new album featuring Moore

Kevin Moore has officially entered the space age.

Chaos Venture, a progressive psychedelic rock band based in Italy, posted a video trailer today on Facebook that features song excerpts from its upcoming album, which the band previously said features Moore as guest keyboardist on a song titled "Abduction."  In the teaser, the band describes the music as "space metal."

"A new genre named space metal will drive you to the next level of awareness, pushing our consciousness to the real genetic origin of the human being," the band said in the video.  "The bible tells us about beings that have come from other worlds and made the mankind; over centuries these beings have been transformed into divinities and the original plurality has been reduced to a single god."

The video also reveals that the band's new album is "coming soon" and that the trailer's music contains "rough mixed songs."  Other prominent guest musicians on the album are Fates Warning's former drummer Mark Zonder and Porcupine Tree keyboardist Richard Barbieri.

To view the video trailer, click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0oKlOoT1yo

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2013, 01:12:14 AM »
Kevin seems to be doing a lot of guest appearances lately! I wish he would release something of his own too...
inb4 he cancels his appearance on the album

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2013, 01:53:38 AM »
Kevin seems to be doing a lot of guest appearances lately! I wish he would release something of his own too...
inb4 he cancels his appearance on the album
Yeah, I also wish he would do something of his own. It's been less than a year since the last OSI though so I don't think we'll see much of him any time soon :-\ I don't usually pay too much attention to his guest spots unless it's something I'd like even without his involvement.

Haha that would be awesome. Maaan Tolkki is one weird motherfucker.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2013, 01:59:15 AM »
I've listened to the sample of the Italian band's album. While I think the concept is quite cheesy and honestly looks as if it has just come out of a pot smoking session with Charlie, the music intrigue me to say the least. I will follow them and wait for the release.  :)
- Marco

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2013, 02:03:47 AM »
I haven't paid attention to those guest appearances either, but the Chaos Venture trailer sounded ok (maybe not good enough for me to buy the album) and they have some cool guests, like Kevin and Richard Barbieri - the "space metal" thing sounds damn pretentious though! :lol

And yes, Tolkki has a tendency to pull the plug on a lot of things he's planned - the second Symfonia album never came out, neither did his autobiography or the double solo album, and even the appearance of the Dreamspace-era line-up at the 25th anniversary show of Waltari was cancelled at the last minute! :lol

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2013, 02:26:37 AM »
I haven't paid attention to those guest appearances either, but the Chaos Venture trailer sounded ok (maybe not good enough for me to buy the album) and they have some cool guests, like Kevin and Richard Barbieri - the "space metal" thing sounds damn pretentious though! :lol

And yes, Tolkki has a tendency to pull the plug on a lot of things he's planned - the second Symfonia album never came out, neither did his autobiography or the double solo album, and even the appearance of the Dreamspace-era line-up at the 25th anniversary show of Waltari was cancelled at the last minute! :lol
Pretty damn pretentious, and yeah, kind of like something that would come out of a pot-smoking session with Charlie :D but the music sounds good, we agree.

Didn't Tolkki also say he was quitting music altogether, then go forward with some album announcements in a matter of weeks? And the Strato breakdown in the mid-2000s was bizarre to say the least.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2013, 02:38:03 AM »
Didn't Tolkki also say he was quitting music altogether, then go forward with some album announcements in a matter of weeks? And the Strato breakdown in the mid-2000s was bizarre to say the least.
Well, Tolkki said he was leaving the music business for an indeterminate period of time, and after a while he announced that a solo album would be released through Pledgemusic, so he kept his word in that way, but after he had reached the goal he had for donations, he suddenly called it a day.

Basically everything that happened in the Stratovarius camp in 2004 was just a huge publicity stunt, nothing more! :lol I think the only thing that actually happened was Tolkki getting hospitalized, but the news about the stabbing, hiring a female singer, etc. was just bullshit. He's bipolar, so I bet that's why his actions are so impulsive.

But let's not turn this into a Tolkki thread, after all, this thread is about smoking pot with Charlie...

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2013, 05:37:21 AM »
Or, to switch back to CK - yesterday I listened to Subway while walking and I've come to the conclusion that's one of the best buildups on YGN

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2013, 07:16:14 AM »
Yeah, it's a great buildup indeed. I :heart the part with the heavy bass chords! You Go Now is a great album overall, it's so relaxing... It took more time to grow than Dead Air for Radios, and I still prefer the latter, but both albums are really good. Too bad Graveyard Mountain Home isn't even close to their level.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2013, 12:29:02 PM »
I finally decided to start listening to them. Yesterday I got You Go Now and I was pretty impressed. Great album!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2013, 12:30:05 PM »
I used to think GMH is not on their level but something just clicked. Maybe it's the unique mixture of styles, maybe it's the precious connection to the movie and insight into how it was made. Maybe it's Sad Sad Movie + Again Today :lol but I love it almost as much as DAFR now. DAFR is definitely the best for me; KM is the first artist that dabbles in electronic stuff that I love but I prefer his more "organic" style if that makes any sense. I'm still in the "unconditionally love whatever he does"-camp :D

ColdFireYYZ yay welcome :heart

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: January 07, 2013, 12:27:07 AM »
The first 2 albums work really well as entities, but the individual songs are great as well; unfortunately GMH lacks songs that stand out and as a full album it's slightly boring IMO. Maybe it relies too much on the movie or maybe it's the lack of songs with vocals, I just prefer the more song-based style of the previous records. I haven't lost my faith in Kevin, though - the latest 3 OSI albums show that he's still more than capable of making great music.
DAFR is definitely the best for me; KM is the first artist that dabbles in electronic stuff that I love but I prefer his more "organic" style if that makes any sense.
Wholeheartedly agreed - Chroma Key, along with the more experimental albums by Paradise Lost, has made me more open-minded towards electronic stuff and I've discovered some interesting music as a result. However, I still like Dead Air the most out of Kevin's post-DT works, with the exception of Free, which is simply perfect.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: January 07, 2013, 04:32:54 AM »
Free is simply perfect, we agree. And I wish Graveyard Mountain Home had more upfront vocals, the songs that do have them (title track, Sad Sad Movie) ended up as my favorites :tup

Uhm, I just really want a new album. :-\

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #97 on: January 07, 2013, 01:08:58 PM »
Not sure if this is too off-topic, but I ordered Shine yesterday. Listened to the download and it was much different than I expected (not sure what I was expecting really, since I don't know anything about the movie) but it was pretty interesting. Its not something that I'd be able to listen to all the time but I enjoyed it.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: January 07, 2013, 01:16:00 PM »
I say we should merge all thread regarding KM's music since there's never a lot going on on all fronts (mostly it's just OSI and smaller projects on the side in the past ten years or so) and that way we won't have to worry about offtopic :)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #99 on: January 07, 2013, 01:19:11 PM »
That's a good idea. I think there's a KevMo thread around here somewhere? Maybe I'm just thinking of this thread though... Either way, there should be if there isn't, just all around Mooreness. Heck, even OSI doesn't get all that much attention anymore so that should be lumped in as well. Some might disagree on that front however.

GMH is a masterful work of art and it does take some 'getting used to' I suppose. Although it clicked with me right away, I tend to be very open to minimalistic music that is dependent on atmosphere and 'vibe' rather than outright, straightforward music. Probably why I love the Shine soundtrack way more than I should along with Memory Hole 1 and Ghost Book. MH1 is basically a bunch of voice-samples spliced in with the usual Moore backdrops and while it's very odd, it's beautiful in it's execution. Ghost Book is more of the same of that train of thought but with a bit more electronic music as opposed to beats of sounds. I love all of his work really, with very few exceptions.

I'm done hoping for new CK, if I do I'll just about walk out a twenty-story window. I want it so god damn badly but I really don't think Kev will do another. It's been relegated to a mere blip in the ocean of lost hope that has become my heart. /sadsadmovie

P.S. Ghost Book's version of Sad Sad Movie, while only ever-so-slightly different is my favorite. Wonderful song.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 01:25:39 PM by TioJorge »

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: January 07, 2013, 01:30:39 PM »
I'm done hoping for new CK, if I do I'll just about walk out a twenty-story window. I want it so god damn badly but I really don't think Kev will do another. It's been relegated to a mere blip in the ocean of lost hope that has become my heart. /sadsadmovie
I have this feeling that something might come out in a year or two but not under the Chroma Key name or in a Chroma Key style. It's just that, the way he talks about it in interviews, it gives me the impression of something being worked on and scrapped and being worked on again, he always says he stopped working on Chroma Key since the inception of OSI but sometimes mentions having some ideas... even if he's done with Chroma Key, I don't think he's done with solo work.

At least I hope so! I adore OSI, I really do, but I adore Kevin on his own as well.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #101 on: January 07, 2013, 01:39:40 PM »
I'd like to hope so, but I'd rather be blown away surprised if it does come to fruition than hanging on words for years. Even though I say that I still hope and will cling. Wahhh!

Yeah, I love OSI, but it just does not compare at all to Kevin's solo work in my...ears. They're too different to compare, and while there's obvious influences and strands of thoughts that bleed into each project, KevMo solo is on a different plane of thought and entirely different in its execution. I love mellow, entrancing, atmospheric music so much and Kevin has absolutely mastered that side of his music. On the same page, the music in OSI can be very moving as well, it's just a bit more straightforward, especially the most recent album. I suppose that's why I love Free and the S/T much more than Fire Make Thunder (that said, I still like that album, I just don't have a religion built around it like I do his other albums).

Oh Moore, whom I love and devote my musical soul to, please hear my prayer of whines and grant me my wish of another atmospheric album that will encompass my very being. Amen. May Moore be with you.

/scotch

RIP DTP.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: January 07, 2013, 01:43:16 PM »
I'd like to hope so, but I'd rather be blown away surprised if it does come to fruition than hanging on words for years. Even though I say that I still hope and will cling. Wahhh!

Yeah, I love OSI, but it just does not compare at all to Kevin's solo work in my...ears. They're too different to compare, and while there's obvious influences and strands of thoughts that bleed into each project, KevMo solo is on a different plane of thought and entirely different in its execution. I love mellow, entrancing, atmospheric music so much and Kevin has absolutely mastered that side of his music. On the same page, the music in OSI can be very moving as well, it's just a bit more straightforward, especially the most recent album. I suppose that's why I love Free and the S/T much more than Fire Make Thunder (that said, I still like that album, I just don't have a religion built around it like I do his other albums).

Oh Moore, whom I love and devote my musical soul to, please hear my prayer of whines and grant me my wish of another atmospheric album that will encompass my very being. Amen. May Moore be with you.

/scotch
You're my type of person. /milk

I wonder would he think we're completely crazy if he read this and similar other essays on his music that are written around here and in other places (I know I've written my share) :lol

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #103 on: January 07, 2013, 01:54:48 PM »
 :heart

I think half of him would be completely freaked out and the other half would be utterly ecstatic to hear that his music affects people so profoundly. It seems that he is a bit ambivalent on the subject of his solo music; as if he doesn't think it's as amazing as it is due to his self-esteem issues, which he certainly has in droves. It might have something to do with the whole popularity game in the music industry, but surely he knew going in that he would be a niche artist. The dulled masses couldn't possibly comprehend the beauty of his music *hocks loogie and spits*.

I remember reading one interview and he was saying how he doesn't think his voice is suited to 'sing' and that when he listens to other artists that he's worked with, he wonders "so this is how a vocalist sounds" or something along the lines of that. That just kills me, because his voice is so perfect for his music that I couldn't possibly even imagine (let alone 'want') another vocalist taking his place. He is an absolute vision of an artist and encompass everything I love about music; and does so in a way that no one else could even attempt to imitate.

I really hope he does see this so that it kicks his ass into a torrential wave of inspiration and emotion. Or...he calls the INTERPOL and gets a restraining order for a guy half-way across the world. That would be equally awesome as I'd then have a connection to him, however negative or indirect.

Fawk, there's somethingmany things wrong with me.

RIP DTP.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: January 07, 2013, 02:00:35 PM »
I agree with what you said, Tio, even though I still am unaware of a good 80% of his production. I like his midset and his attitude towards the creative and personal path he chose for himself.

How much did I grow in the past two years! I would have never written those words in 2010!
- Marco