Author Topic: Chroma Key  (Read 87163 times)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Re: Chroma Key
« Reply #105 on: January 07, 2013, 02:26:58 PM »
:heart

I think half of him would be completely freaked out and the other half would be utterly ecstatic to hear that his music affects people so profoundly. It seems that he is a bit ambivalent on the subject of his solo music; as if he doesn't think it's as amazing as it is due to his self-esteem issues, which he certainly has in droves. It might have something to do with the whole popularity game in the music industry, but surely he knew going in that he would be a niche artist. The dulled masses couldn't possibly comprehend the beauty of his music *hocks loogie and spits*.

I remember reading one interview and he was saying how he doesn't think his voice is suited to 'sing' and that when he listens to other artists that he's worked with, he wonders "so this is how a vocalist sounds" or something along the lines of that. That just kills me, because his voice is so perfect for his music that I couldn't possibly even imagine (let alone 'want') another vocalist taking his place. He is an absolute vision of an artist and encompass everything I love about music; and does so in a way that no one else could even attempt to imitate.

I really hope he does see this so that it kicks his ass into a torrential wave of inspiration and emotion. Or...he calls the INTERPOL and gets a restraining order for a guy half-way across the world. That would be equally awesome as I'd then have a connection to him, however negative or indirect.

Fawk, there's somethingmany things wrong with me.
He also said "we figured I would do the vocals and try to make it sound presentable". It's a million notches above "presentable" :lol

I considered for a year or so writing really long and embarrassing fanmail about how his music helped me go on with my life and not fall into the mud that is FUCKICANTGOONTHISTHINGSUCKSIWANTTOLIVEONSLEEPANDMISERYTILIDIE but then I realized whatever I write could only convey 1% of what it means to me and it would be really embarrassing and weird and awful and god please stop me from writing one now I'm just a confused foolish little girl who likes music a lot :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #106 on: January 07, 2013, 02:29:13 PM »
 :laugh: I feel ya, gurl.

We can only wait. And give human sacrifices. BRBgointothebasement

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: January 07, 2013, 02:31:51 PM »
Right on, Tio!

Also:

I agree with what you said, Tio, even though I still am unaware of a good 80% of his production. I like his midset and his attitude towards the creative and personal path he chose for himself.

How much did I grow in the past two years! I would have never written those words in 2010!
WELCOME TO KEVIN MOORE! We have music and cake. I'm sure he'd approve.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #108 on: January 07, 2013, 02:34:40 PM »
Are we sure he's not a vegan? Because in that case, he would not approve  :lol

Tomorrow I'll be empting what remains to be checked out of your kmplaylist! I hope to find something that clicks right away, even though I know that it won't be anywhere this simple :/
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #109 on: January 08, 2013, 04:42:00 AM »
I think the OSI thread should be kept separate, because not all OSI fans here have listened to Kev's other stuff and they probably prefer the prog metal aspects. However, I agree that there should be only one thread for Chroma Key and other stuff Kevin has released solo.

Anyway, great to see he's finding new fans for his post-DT projects despite the lack of activity! :tup

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: January 08, 2013, 11:38:12 AM »
SOS is amazing!!  :omg: :omg:
- Marco

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: January 09, 2013, 07:24:49 AM »
It's great, but I'd say Colorblind is my favorite from DAFR, I love the dark mood of that song, and the little break with just the piano is really effective.

When I heard Colorblind for the first time a year ago, I was thinking to myself: "if the rest of the album is this good, I'll love it" - and my prediction was right! :biggrin: I had heard On the Page 2 years before that, - just because I was curious to see what KevMo had been up to since leaving DT - but I didn't care about it back then. But last year the time was right - I had heard all the OSI albums and overall my tastes had become more diverse, so I fell in love with the album! :heart

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: January 09, 2013, 08:05:12 AM »
I have listened to DAFR 4 times in a row yesterday evening, and I was completely stunned. It's such a beautiful and poignant album! I'm so happy to have reached the right place to be finally able, after almost three year of failed attempts, this solo work of Kevin.

Favourites so far: SOS, On The Page, Colorblind, Hell Mary (very unsettling but overall brilliant)
- Marco

Offline caseyavh

« Reply #113 on: January 09, 2013, 02:18:23 PM »
dead air for radios, you go now and graveyard mountain home are all awesome albums, but what the heck is the album cover for you go now? an astronaunt getting his teeth pulled? :huh:

Offline jammindude

« Reply #114 on: January 09, 2013, 10:48:24 PM »
dead air for radios, you go now and graveyard mountain home are all awesome albums, but what the heck is the album cover for you go now? an astronaunt getting his teeth pulled? :huh:

I read on a FAQ one time that it's very old and that's where would install his microphone....  Maybe someone can confirm?  I'm about 80% sure I'm right.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #115 on: January 09, 2013, 11:43:37 PM »
Also, if you visit webarchive and search for Chroma Key's website, you get to see the old site where he had short descriptions of the lyrics on the album.

https://web.archive.org/web/20001202204700/https://www.chromakey.com/lyrics.htm

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: January 10, 2013, 01:25:07 AM »
Also, if you visit webarchive and search for Chroma Key's website, you get to see the old site where he had short descriptions of the lyrics on the album.

https://web.archive.org/web/20001202204700/https://www.chromakey.com/lyrics.htm
Been there, done that :corn

About the You Go Now cover/astronaut references thing:

Quote from: Kevin Moore
The cover, all the astronauts, and that name go together somehow," notes Kevin. But You Go Now was just a phrase that we were throwing around the studio when we were recording the record. Basically it means, 'please leave, because I want to record this'. It was just used so much. Space seems like an overall theme for the album but I never planned it that way. I had picked up this LP, basically recordings of NASA transmission. It was really strange. It wasn't like incredible moments in space, but more like, 'OK, the astronauts are trying to get to sleep now and they're almost asleep but they're not asleep yet', really mundane kinds of things. It sounded really lonely and I thought it would fit well with the album. So I made a whole song with those samples which is 'Lunar' and incorporated it into another song, 'Astronaut Down'. And at that point I realized there was this picture on the studio wall that had been up there since we started recording, and that's the picture that's on the cover, again, this strange, unheroic NASA photo, a picture of this guy getting his mic adjusted, although it looks like he's getting his teeth pulled or something.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: January 11, 2013, 09:38:50 AM »
I really like You Go Now.  For a while, I was bugged that there were a handful of instrumental songs that didn't feature Kevin's voice (because I love his voice), but I eventually really embraced that album.  It's so sample heavy, which is awesome.  The closing track has some fascinating samples.  And I love the work of Steve Tushar on that album.  I think he contributed a lot of the soundscapes and atmospheric noises that really gives the album a cool sonic sound.  I truly hope they work together again someday soon. 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline caseyavh

« Reply #118 on: January 12, 2013, 11:51:04 AM »
@ morawintersoul - thanks for the quote. now that i look at it, i see the microphone and it makes alot more sense lol

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: January 13, 2013, 02:11:09 PM »
Dead Air For Radios while studying at night. The best thing I could ask for. Tomorrow I'm ordering it from amazon.co.uk.
- Marco

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #120 on: January 20, 2013, 12:38:59 PM »
So I ordered Shine earlier this month and got the download email but no shipping confirmation. I sent an email to make sure my order went through and Kevin himself responded right back! I don't know why, but it was pretty exciting seeing an email from him.

On the other hand, I got Dead Air For Radios the other day and it was excellent. I'm not sure if I like it more than You Go Now but the vocals were better, imo.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: January 21, 2013, 10:06:48 AM »
So I ordered Shine earlier this month and got the download email but no shipping confirmation. I sent an email to make sure my order went through and Kevin himself responded right back! I don't know why, but it was pretty exciting seeing an email from him.

That's awesome! 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: January 21, 2013, 10:12:57 AM »
Artist directly interacting with the fans in unexpected ways FTW.  :metal
- Marco

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: January 21, 2013, 10:32:10 AM »
Anyone who gets an email from Kevin should feel honored!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: February 01, 2013, 04:10:21 PM »
UPDATE: I am completely unable to rank 3/4 of the songs on DAFR. How can I say if Undertow is better than SOS or vice versa? And Colorblind/On The Page? Darn Kevin.
- Marco

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: March 18, 2013, 03:30:45 PM »
So I went into Facebook for updates from my study group, planning to spend the rest of the evening quietly socializing with Charles Dickens and Lord Alfred Tennyson and then this:

"Kevin Moore (official):
Any iOS musicians out there have tips on Audio/MIDI I/O adaptors for lightning port iPads?"

Kevin is making music already/finally? POSSIBLY ON HIS OWN? Or just screwing around? SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT I AM NOT PREPARED FOR THIS

edit: OSI SHARED THE STATUS UPDATE, WHY, IS THIS AN URGENT THING, I'm sorry for the caps this has hit me so suddenly, I have a feeling it is important for some reason.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 03:43:37 PM by MoraWintersoul »

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: March 18, 2013, 03:37:28 PM »
Normally I would say that we should wait for other coherent updates to follow, but knowing Kevin, it could be the most importnat musical project of his life and still go for another year without dropping any other status updates about it  :lol
- Marco

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #127 on: March 18, 2013, 04:54:36 PM »
inb4 JR tweets at him with advice on iOS crap.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #128 on: March 18, 2013, 04:55:05 PM »
What Waste said, but this still gets my juices flowing like Niagara.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: March 18, 2013, 05:15:55 PM »
What Waste said, but this still gets my juices flowing like Niagara.
Precisely. I won't be able to sleep much tonight, I can tell.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: March 19, 2013, 12:24:20 AM »
Great to hear that he's recording, or at least planning to record something! :) And considering that it's only been one year since FMT and Jim seems to be working on other stuff right now, it has to be Kevin's own project and that makes me go :caffeine:

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: March 19, 2013, 12:51:09 AM »
And the best thing is that we have absolutely no idea of whatever he might be doing this time. :D
- Marco

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: March 19, 2013, 01:49:24 AM »
Exactly! GMH was released 4 years after You Go Now and those two albums sound really different from each other, so I can't wait to see how a 9-year gap has affected his writing (haven't heard Shine or the other soundtrack stuff, but those were written for films anyway). That said, I hope the new album will be better and more song-oriented than GMH, that album still hasn't clicked with me and lacks standout songs.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: March 19, 2013, 02:52:44 AM »
Felipe Troncoso You could get Roland's Duo-Capture EX interface. 2 audio I/O + MIDI. All you'd need is Apple's USB to Lightning adapter.
10 hours ago via mobile · Like · 1

Kevin Moore (official) Looks like that Roland is audio-only
9 hours ago · Like

I have no idea what this means but I am posting it anyway. I mean, who knows what he might need this for but I just have to overanalyze and go crazy and stuff :D

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: March 19, 2013, 03:26:05 AM »
Relax, it's just technical stuff! :lol He says that apparently you can't record MIDI with that Roland interface, and he would need that option.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: March 19, 2013, 03:28:38 AM »
Relax, it's just technical stuff! :lol He says that apparently you can't record MIDI with that Roland interface, and he would need that option.
But why.
I can't relax, this is important.

I think this is good practice for me when/if he announces a new CKorsomething album, you can tell I'll be a wreck then.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: March 19, 2013, 03:58:17 AM »
That's exactly why you shouldn't overreact to little comments like that, save your energy for the big announcement and the album itself! :)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: March 19, 2013, 05:14:37 AM »
That's exactly why you shouldn't overreact to little comments like that, save your energy for the big announcement and the album itself! :)
The amount of energy I have for freaking out over new band stuff knows no bounds.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: March 19, 2013, 12:47:55 PM »
Haha, you guys make me smile.  Hopefully, it means Kev is working on something -- and not just doing another guest appearance on someone's album.  I could go for some solo material!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: March 20, 2013, 04:05:58 AM »
Haha, you guys make me smile.
A little colony of young hopeful fans, yeah, we're kind of like cute bunnies.
This is me:

This is Tio:

These are wasteland and ?, for no particular reason:

Et cetera.

I hope no one of importance reads this thread.