Author Topic: What % Of Your Collection Is Never Listened To?  (Read 2420 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: What % Of Your Collection Is Never Listened To?
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2022, 11:53:55 PM »
I am having the biggest pain in the butt trying to digitize my vinyl collection.

I have tried different computers, different configurations, different turntables, different locations in the house… I feel like I’ve literally tried everything. But every time I record, I get a very mild annoying electric “whine” of background noise. I can’t figure out if I need a more expensive high-end analog to digital converter or if I have a bad ground in my house or some thing else. But I’ve never been able to get the problem to go away no matter what I try. It’s extremely frustrating. I will say that some configurations are slightly better than others. And with audacity I can sometimes filter out some of that noise. But I think it’s irritating that I have to go through that hassle at all. Why can’t I just get a clean recording of my vinyl directly to a digital file?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2022, 01:15:57 AM »
But honestly, I don’t understand the concept of getting rid of music just because you’re currently not listening to it.

I pretty much halved my CD collection after a couple of house moves' worth of stuffing them in what would become rather heavy suitcases.

What I kept came down to the following criteria:

1) The obvious one that I love the music on that CD so much I wouldn't want to part with it.
2) It's part of a complete set of a beloved artist even if that particular CD holds little interest e.g. I have pretty much everything Ginger Wildheart has ever been involved with, but I can't imagine listening to the Howling Willie album ever again.
3) The CD isn't on any streaming services, has at least one song I really like that was probably why I got the CD in the first place and isn't trivially available via Amazon, or such like.
4) Similar to 3) the CD is on a streaming service but I'm cynical about it staying there. I'm not about to dispose of Carcass' Heartwork as I love the album (the rest of their discography not even slightly) but it is a good example of an album whose presence on streaming services is capricious.

There was a whole bunch of albums I bought around 1998-2010 that have no particular emotional connection, and didn't pan out to be nearly as good as one or two tracks on the album suggested they might be, that I've disposed of and those tracks sit in a big "discarded" Spotify playlist.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2022, 02:28:48 AM »
0% :tup

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2022, 06:42:31 AM »
I have hundreds of CDs I could get rid of but besides space what's the point?  It's not like you can make much money off them anymore.

Not just to you, Wolf, but in general, if people are ditching CDs, I'd like a first look.  If it's something that I need to fill a hole, I'm not looking for "free" (though I won't lie, I'm also not looking to make you rich either).

Offline emtee

« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2022, 06:46:47 AM »
When I have time I'll start a trade a CD thread and we can post our list. Maybe next week.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2022, 07:08:00 AM »
I don't own any physical media that I've never listened to.  But I own a lot less physical media than I used to.  I got rid of all the stuff I never or almost never listen to, especially if it is available on Spotify.  Just taking up too much space.

I also have tens of thousands (if not more) of songs on a hard drive somewhere that I haven't accessed in several years.  Literally no idea what's on there.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2022, 08:40:49 AM »
What do you guys do when bands pull their "Sharon Osbourne" nonsense?   And put alternate versions out there?

I know for me, I have many albums for which I have multiple versions, and I want the version I want when I want it, not the version that Spotify decides I should have.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2022, 09:22:44 AM »
What do you guys do when bands pull their "Sharon Osbourne" nonsense?   And put alternate versions out there?

I know for me, I have many albums for which I have multiple versions, and I want the version I want when I want it, not the version that Spotify decides I should have.
I'm not sure what you mean.  Remasters?  Reissues?  Special Editions with new or different content?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2022, 09:23:37 AM »

Outside of Rush and Zeppelin, there are very few remasters I've purchased.  I'll give 'em a listen at Spotify to see how much I notice the difference.  I think Triumph's greatest hits is the only one I've ever bought.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2022, 10:10:57 AM »

I'm not sure what you mean.  Remasters?  Reissues?  Special Editions with new or different content?

I believe he's referring to the re-releases of Ozzy's first two solo discs which were re-released with re-recorded drum and bass tracks—for a while, they were the only versions available. Thankfully, I'd hung onto my mid-90s remasters, but the whole thing was a travesty.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2022, 10:17:09 AM »

I can't think of anyone else who did what Ozzy/Sharon did, and I sure as shit didn't buy the re-recorded versions.  I believe I bought the re-mixed version of Rush's Vapor Trails, and I have the anniversary editions of A Farewell to Kings, Permanent Waves and (as of yesterday) Moving Pictures.  I also have a couple of Yes albums that have extra material (I think mostly demos).  Vapor Trails is the only album I re-bought BECAUSE of the remix/remaster.  Otherwise, I'm not re-buying an album unless I get something extra.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2022, 10:21:27 AM »

I can't think of anyone else who did what Ozzy/Sharon did, and I sure as shit didn't buy the re-recorded versions.  I believe I bought the re-mixed version of Rush's Vapor Trails, and I have the anniversary editions of A Farewell to Kings, Permanent Waves and (as of yesterday) Moving Pictures.  I also have a couple of Yes albums that have extra material (I think mostly demos).  Vapor Trails is the only album I re-bought BECAUSE of the remix/remaster.  Otherwise, I'm not re-buying an album unless I get something extra.

Lot's of bands have tacked on re-recorded versions of their hits in order to cash in on missing royalties. A few years back, Tate had (poorly) re-recorded versions of like 5 QR hits floating around on Spotify. Obviously, in most cases, the original exists as well, but if you are unaware of the difference (like your a DJ just fullfilling a request at a bar), odds are you could theoretiucally play the wrong version, and then Tate (or whoever) would get their tenthof a cent as opposed to the original copyright owner.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2022, 10:22:08 AM »

If talking about re-recording albums, I cant think of an album I own that fits that description.  If we are talking remastered or re-mixed, I often usually stick to the version I heard first because often times thats the version I grow to love so when a remaster comes out, I usually don't have interest.  I can only think of the couple Images and Words songs DT redid for their greatest hits album, and even then, I checked them out but I never go back to those versions.  (They are in my library though, I didn't delete the MP3s or anything like that). 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2022, 11:13:14 AM »

There are a lot, if you include all the possibilities.

- Ozzy had the rhythm sections re-recorded under the Blizzard and Diary albums, and they were the only ones available for a while.  Others, like Little River Band, Kiss and Journey, have re-recorded songs with their new singers;
- Kiss, Def Leppard and Taylor Swift have all re-recorded their older songs, primarily for copyright reasons;
- Several artists - Neil Diamond, Kiss - have replaced the songs on their hits records with live versions;
- Several artists - Rainbow (Rising), Whitesnake (Slide It In) and MSG (Built To Destroy) - have "European" and "American" versions of the their records;
- Several artists - Genesis, The Beatles, Kiss - have released albums that are also remixes, so technically they are different albums in that way;
- Several artists have remastered versions of their works that are significantly hotter than the original releases;
- Several artists - U2 for one - have had to edit subsequent live releases due to rights releases (on the U2 live EP they had to cut a portion of Bono singing "Send In The Clowns" because Steven Sondheim objected)

Some of these are minor, some of these are major.  How do you all handle this?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2022, 11:15:51 AM »
I take it on a case by case basis.

If a band wants to rerecord things, it might be cool and it might suck. Iced Earth has done A LOT of re-recordings. A lot of them, especially with Matt Barlow were fantastic and the production was way better than the original. So they become my preferred versions. Then they rerecorded more songs with Stu and they were awful (to me). So I ignored them and just listened to the originals.

I think the only real problem is when the re-recording (or whatever) replaces the original and you don't have the option of listening to the original anymore.

I feel Star Wars fans may agree
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2022, 11:27:34 AM »
The most egregious examply i can think of personally is Megadeth.

Dave's 'remixed' versions are, to my ears, an abomination ( ;))

Unfortunately, they are the only versions you can listen to on any streaming service. You want to hear Rust In Peace in it's original form, you need to go dig up an old cd or cassette.

This has resulted in me all but giving up listening to my favorite thrash band (yes, I hold them in that high of regard).

It's a shame, but life goes on. I'm sure Dave could care less, but in this instant, it essentially resulted in me losing all interest in a band...a choice that has probably cost him a few hundred dollars over the past few years (if you add up the releases I didn't buy and the concerts I didn't attend).

Online HOF

« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2022, 03:04:57 PM »
One weird example of a song that you can’t stream legally anywhere is the Big Big Train cover of Anthony Phillips’ Master of Time. It is available on the CD versions of Far Skies Deep Time, but its not included on Spotify, Amazon, or even the band’s own Bandcamp page due to copyright issues.

There are other bands who don’t have some or all of their catalog on streaming services. Camel are kind of maddening about this. You can only stream their 70s output, but not the debut for some reason (I assume record company related, though Latimer released most of the later albums independently so I assume he could put them on if he wanted to).

Offline Spider In The Sky

« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2022, 08:14:25 PM »
More than I would like.  It seems harder for to find time to listen to music than to go shopping for it sometimes.  I guess since shopping is an event and listening is more of a leisure activity, so once is more likely to be planned than the other.  I've been trying to work on that by at least sampling one song from each album on my iPod that I either haven't heard in ages or have never played. I'm not quite through with that exercise yet, but it's been oddly very rewarding, despite the fact I'm usually an albums guy, and I'm often just picking random songs based on their titles.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2022, 09:14:32 PM »
I have no interest in repurchasing a special/limited/deluxe/remastered edition, except for something like The Who did with Live at Leeds, where they added a whole 2nd CD with the entire performance of Tommy from the show (I guess they did it twice, since the original release only had 6 songs, but the first CD release had 14).

I think the only real problem is when the re-recording (or whatever) replaces the original and you don't have the option of listening to the original anymore.

That is a great point, and... yeah....

I feel Star Wars fans may agree
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2022, 10:08:43 PM »
Most remix’s hold no interest for me.

…unless it bears the name Steven Wilson.

As good a song writer as he is, he’s an even better producer/remixer/engineer/whatever you want to call it.  Jethro Tull fans who have never even heard of Steven Wilson sing the praises of his Aqualung remix (which sadly I haven’t heard, but I’ve heard enough of his other stuff to believe the hype)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Lethean

« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2022, 01:13:57 PM »

- Ozzy had the rhythm sections re-recorded under the Blizzard and Diary albums, and they were the only ones available for a while.  Others, like Little River Band, Kiss and Journey, have re-recorded songs with their new singers;
- Kiss, Def Leppard and Taylor Swift have all re-recorded their older songs, primarily for copyright reasons;
- Several artists - Neil Diamond, Kiss - have replaced the songs on their hits records with live versions;
- Several artists - Rainbow (Rising), Whitesnake (Slide It In) and MSG (Built To Destroy) - have "European" and "American" versions of the their records;
- Several artists - Genesis, The Beatles, Kiss - have released albums that are also remixes, so technically they are different albums in that way;
- Several artists have remastered versions of their works that are significantly hotter than the original releases;
- Several artists - U2 for one - have had to edit subsequent live releases due to rights releases (on the U2 live EP they had to cut a portion of Bono singing "Send In The Clowns" because Steven Sondheim objected)

That's interesting, and something I don't really think about.  On that list, I own a Rainbow album and a U2 album, and I don't listen to either all that much, but I suppose if I wanted to hear a song from one of those albums and it sounded different, I might be a little annoyed.  But even though I don't really think about the above, I suppose I don't really stream for similar reasons - I'm a bit of a control freak.  I have my music tagged the way I want, I have lyrics, if I want to listen to album X I know it has all of the songs and isn't missing the bonus tracks, etc.  I will stream on youtube or occasionally spotify to check something out, but if I decide I like it enough, then I buy the MP3s. 

I would say maybe you should take a similar approach, or a hybrid one.  If you like streaming for the convenience but want to hear the album you want to hear, you could stream most stuff and then keep some your favorites where you know shenanigans have been pulled on your phone or MP3 player.

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2022, 08:38:38 AM »
I have a bunch that I rarely listen to. At the beginning of the year I decided to listen to all my music chronologically. It's been pretty fun and there are a few albums that I've rediscovered. And a few that I know why I don't listen to them anymore. I'm up to 1987 so I've still got a long way to go, especially since my album buying really took off in the 90s.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2022, 07:35:15 AM »

That's interesting, and something I don't really think about.  On that list, I own a Rainbow album and a U2 album, and I don't listen to either all that much, but I suppose if I wanted to hear a song from one of those albums and it sounded different, I might be a little annoyed.  But even though I don't really think about the above, I suppose I don't really stream for similar reasons - I'm a bit of a control freak.  I have my music tagged the way I want, I have lyrics, if I want to listen to album X I know it has all of the songs and isn't missing the bonus tracks, etc.  I will stream on youtube or occasionally spotify to check something out, but if I decide I like it enough, then I buy the MP3s. 

I would say maybe you should take a similar approach, or a hybrid one.  If you like streaming for the convenience but want to hear the album you want to hear, you could stream most stuff and then keep some your favorites where you know shenanigans have been pulled on your phone or MP3 player.

Add to that list, Marillion.  I don't like it, but the new release of Clutching At Straws has a new mix (most obvious in Fish's vocals throughout the album).   That is a top five record of mine, and I know every note of that record.  It's jarring and unpleasant (for me) to hear an alternate version if I don't know it's coming.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2022, 09:20:49 PM »

Add to that list, Marillion.  I don't like it, but the new release of Clutching At Straws has a new mix (most obvious in Fish's vocals throughout the album).   That is a top five record of mine, and I know every note of that record.  It's jarring and unpleasant (for me) to hear an alternate version if I don't know it's coming.

I totally get that.  If it's an album I know and love and hold dear, I probably don't want to hear it a remix; or certainly wouldn't want it to be the default.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2022, 05:59:21 PM »

One thing I was thinking about was an ongoing thread at MP'S place. We had a 'trade a CD' thread and it was pretty cool. Maybe I should start one here.

I'm up for that. Just say where and when. Just donated a bunch to the library sale last month because I didn't want to sell on a dedicated platform. Still a bunch of cleaning up to do.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2022, 06:04:55 PM »

Depends on the band or album. If I have to own it I'll own it, if I don't I'll just suffer with the original.

Six different versions of Brain Salad Surgery on CD and all of them are keepers for different reasons.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2022, 06:18:07 PM »

From your list, only have duplicate copies of Genesis and The Beatles. I have the original U2 live EP and forgot later versions were edited.

As for remasters, Hotter does not necessarily mean better and that would need to be evaluated and finding the time for that is always an issue. At this stage I'll really trying to enjoy what I hear and try not to flood myself with a lot of A/B comparisons. (It eventually needs to be done, but I'm unwilling to devote the time needed to do it)

If there are bonus/live tracks then that factors into it too.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2022, 06:25:52 PM »

It was like that for me too. Know that record (most Marillion and Fish records) inside and out and the attraction for me was the bonus live material. Have all of the originals, first remasters and the deluxe editions (Well, except for the Brave Deluxe Edition. Wasn't buying Brave for a third time.) In those cases it's never about the remaster for me but the bonus material.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2022, 06:32:05 PM »
When I have time I'll start a trade a CD thread and we can post our list. Maybe next week.

Not there yet still going through April, but I hope this happened. If not maybe I'll get it going.