44 (22.3%)
Bad
21 (10.7%)
Terribly
4 (2%)
Meh
18 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 192

Author Topic: BCSL: One Year Later  (Read 37113 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Re: BCSL: One Year Later
« Reply #140 on: August 19, 2010, 08:33:54 AM »
I was never a big fan of the record to begin with and my appreciation for it is still pretty low. I did finally come around on "The Count of Tuscany," but aside from that and "A Rite of Passage," (although I prefer the radio edit on that to the full version) I pretty much don't care for the album at all.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #141 on: August 19, 2010, 08:38:28 AM »
 :rollin at the cannibal concept! Anyway, BC&SL has aged pretty well. I like TCOT more than I did at first but I also like AROP less than I used to.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #142 on: August 19, 2010, 08:41:15 AM »
Man, it really doesn't feel like it's over a year old already...
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #143 on: August 19, 2010, 08:43:08 AM »
..."A Rite of Passage," (although I prefer the radio edit on that to the full version)

I feel the same way about that song.  It's pretty good as is, but shortening it just a bit as they did for the edit actually takes it up a notch.  I wish that version were available for purchase.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #144 on: August 19, 2010, 08:52:41 AM »
..."A Rite of Passage," (although I prefer the radio edit on that to the full version)

I feel the same way about that song.  It's pretty good as is, but shortening it just a bit as they did for the edit actually takes it up a notch.  I wish that version were available for purchase.

Frankly, I think it's a symptom of a lot of songs DT has put out recently. I love long songs that take you on a journey, but sometimes, just being long to be "progressive" just doesn't work. To me, a song should never ever want you to hit the fast-forward button. I mean seriously, who the hell skips a note of "A Change of Seasons" or even "Home?" Not me. But I can't say the same for a lot of the material in DT's most recent albums.

I truly hope they grasp the concept that just because you can make something long, doesn't mean you should, if the song tells itself in six or seven minutes as opposed to 10.

Time will tell.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #145 on: August 19, 2010, 09:45:23 AM »

This.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #146 on: August 26, 2010, 12:10:04 PM »

Frankly, I think it's a symptom of a lot of songs DT has put out recently. I love long songs that take you on a journey, but sometimes, just being long to be "progressive" just doesn't work. To me, a song should never ever want you to hit the fast-forward button. I mean seriously, who the hell skips a note of "A Change of Seasons" or even "Home?" Not me. But I can't say the same for a lot of the material in DT's most recent albums.

I truly hope they grasp the concept that just because you can make something long, doesn't mean you should, if the song tells itself in six or seven minutes as opposed to 10.

Time will tell.

I know that I'm in minority here but if there is Dream Theater epic where I sometimes feel this little section maybe shouldn't be here then it's only some parts of ACOS and ITPOE's Reckoning last solo section and "JR madness part" as it was labelled on making of DVD but I never skip anything anyway... However AROP for example is definitely more consistently intersting to me than ACOS

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #147 on: February 07, 2019, 04:24:25 AM »
WOW, crazy looking back at this. Much more positive than today. :o

Sorry if I posted and shouldn't have in this thread.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #148 on: February 07, 2019, 08:39:03 AM »
Happy 10 year to BC&SL! I’d say it has aged quite well!